Playing with idiots

Match Maker MM Ignore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

Doomthrall #1 Posted Aug 27 2012 - 20:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
World of tanks is/was a great game idea, but like so many other games focused on PVP, sometimes they become unbarable to play with todays "me me me" society.

After 16,000+ games, I cancelled my account. I gave my reasons, but the decent people at WoT suggested that I put them into this forum.

Let me begin by saying, that I have played at every level of World of tanks, and I enjoy a good even tank battle that goes down to the wire. I have also competed in dozens if not hundreds of clan battles with several clans. I get new invites to clans weekly. All I can say about that is, that clan wars are not that entertaing. Especially after you fight over the same handful of maps dozens of times. I spent thousands of my own goal without a penny of re-imbursement, and with both clans, the founders left the clan with all the gold to "explore other options."

So, I focused on soloing. I was able to push my sub 50% win percentage over 50% after much effort and experience. I had racks of their 9s and 10s, including 2 tier 8 artillery.

Here's the issue: After that much issue, I do not have time to log in and fight a few battles where...

A) Some tier 8 decides to platoon with a tier 1 because they think it is funny.
B) Have a lower tier tank follow my tier 10 tank around, continuously ramming into me the entire battle. (Oh, and by the way, the teir 10 gets fined for this.) Sometimes these tanks do not even just run into you, they actively shoot at you. I have dogs that can fine better ways to amuse themselves.
C) Dead people complaining. (I have to admit, I did planty of this. It just irked me how everything in a battle goes well, and then in the matter of 30 seconds, 8 of your tanks die and you are left alone with 2 arty.)
D) Everyone logs in, a Lowe looks at the number of arty and exclaims, "This is bull s%^t there's too much arty, I am out of here." The Lowe then goes on to sit in base AFK the entire game. Then the game turns out fairely close, down to the wire, and everyone thinks, wow, if we only had one more tank.

I know everyone has these complaints, and clans will say you need to join them and their platoons and companies to avoid them. However, we all know this doesn't always work, and many of us with day jobs who want to hop in for a few games, (and financially support the game), do not always want to be continuously hounded to join platoons and companies or log into TS or vent and listen to people whine about real life.

Maybe I am more patient than most people, but I do not mind waiting in queue longer, if I can avoid playing with idiots. How can this be done...

1) Prevent grouping with people on ignore list. (Increase Ingore List Size) - This may be impossible, but if I had an option, I would choose this option every time, even if i had to wait for games.
2) Prioritize grouping with friends.
3) Ban constant offenders.
4) And World of Warcraft PVP did this rather affectively. If someone is AFK and several people report them AFK, that person is kicked out of the battle and replaced with someone waiting in Queue. I beleive the person reported's toon is also checked for movement, to prevent a bunch of idiots from reporting someone active, but I am not positive, all I know, it worked.
5) Don't allow stupid platoons. There's no reason a tier 7 should be teamed with a tier 1.

virtualgib #2 Posted Aug 27 2012 - 20:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Buh bye.

ehetzel #3 Posted Aug 27 2012 - 20:32

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
1.Have a punishment for AFK players that is relatively minor would improve the general quality of the game.
2.There's a big difference between someone who is offline and someone who is AFK.
3.Everyone uses the toilet, we sometimes need to go to the bathroom at unreasonable times for ourselves.

mav214 #4 Posted Aug 27 2012 - 20:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I like all 5 points, but I don't see them ever implementing something like that  :Smile_sad:

alexsyl007 #5 Posted Aug 27 2012 - 20:35

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
It's a GAME, with 29 random people at a time put into a 'FREE' and open online gaming mode with very few rules.....What do you expect? I've always hated people who do things that you say they do, but then it's just that one game, move on, if it happens more often than you think, logout and play another day......that's what I do. I'm neither happy or sad to see you go because I don't know you....

Edited by alexsyl007, Aug 27 2012 - 20:41.

Drifter80 #6 Posted Aug 27 2012 - 20:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
GREAT POST!
I think some in game mods for chat and behavior wouled be great for chat issues and gameplay trolling. I had two players on my team pin my Marder II (for lols) and what could I do? Report one of them three times? Does that actually do anything? I see there are warning points for form posts, are there any for in game reports? Maybe even promote some players to mini-mods to help control the flow of tardness.

The troll platooning drives me nuts. I would think it would be simple to make platoons that differ by a large number of tiers unable to launch into battle. Of course, everyone knocks the tech and competence behind this game so that may not be possible.
The AFK reporting comment sounds great to me. Maybe allow people in the queue to opt out though. I know there are some tanks & maps where I want to start moving to a location ASAP and may not want a delayed start.
Are there day bans? Hour bans? week bans? Or anything for general jagaloonery? There should be.

Pershing75mm113 #7 Posted Aug 27 2012 - 21:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Your points are understandable, but the whole AFK thing is a bit iffy. Personally, I view AFK as life intervening with me playing WoT, such as eating, or things that require more attention than a video game. Nuff said.

Hang0ver #8 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 16:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Platooning with someone 3 tiers lower than you should be stopped, I also agree that AFK's need to be more severely punished.

ryzil #9 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 16:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Now he will never play the game again..... and nothing of value was lost, and everything went better than expected.

Fire_Horse #10 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 16:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostPershing75mm113, on Aug 27 2012 - 21:25, said:

Your points are understandable, but the whole AFK thing is a bit iffy. Personally, I view AFK as life intervening with me playing WoT, such as eating, or things that require more attention than a video game. Nuff said.

if you can't commit to the 5-10 minutes most battles last, please don't hit the 'battle' button.  that's all we ask.

you don't show up to play a baseball game and then just wander off the field to get a sandwich.

hardicon #11 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 16:21

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostPershing75mm113, on Aug 27 2012 - 21:25, said:

this is one of the stupidest arguments ive seen.  if you are eating, dont que up for battle.  its not that hard.  i get sometimes real life intervenes with gaming time, but rarely is real life so important that you cant take a couple of minutes to finish a battle and then go handle the real life issue.  at least go suicide and get some spots for your team, that only takes 30 seconds or so.  if you need to go eat, take a crap, jerk off or whatever though, just dont que up for a battle.  afking is a big pain in the butt in this game, I dont mind losing a match so much, its when we lose and we have 2 or 3 tanks afk and its always those close games they are afk in, you know the ones where one or two tanks would have made a huge difference.

Doomthrall #12 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 20:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I was suggesting, something similar to WoW. If someone AFKed during a PVP battle in WoW, they were kicked from the battle and replaced by someone waiting in queue. WoW had big battlezones and many people waited in queue for long periods of time. Hence "the system" would do house keeping at the beginning of the battle to figure out who wa actually there. This included seeing if the Toon did not move fore a period of time. Also, it allowed for other players to report the person AFK, enough reports and the person was kicked. (Yes, people did run bots, so they did move sometimes. This was obvious, however, because they were continuous macros of the same activity.) The person that went AFK's punishment was something like a 10 minutewaiting period before queuing up again.

I know real life stuff happens. I have had to run to answer the door, etc, before, but some people AFK constantly, for stupid reasons, like the MM putting them into a battle with too much artillery or too many higher tier tanks.

Even if they AFK through the entire battle, last I knew, they still get some compensation for the battle. (Conceivably even a win.) With players getting Rep and XP from PVP battles in WoW, their designers implimented a way to clean up the AFKers, allowing others to take their place. Whats the difference for someone entering a battle 2 minutes in to replace an AFKer or being there from the beginning as long as they are similar to the tank kicked out?

Irishwind #13 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 20:47

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thanks for playing.  Sorry you are leaving.  Can I have your Lowe?

CrazyTankLady #14 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 21:26

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDoomthrall, on Aug 27 2012 - 20:20, said:

1) Prevent grouping with people on ignore list. (Increase Ingore List Size) - This may be impossible, but if I had an option, I would choose this option every time, even if i had to wait for games.

You know, I really like this one. Mind you I see the potential for abuse (every arty player in the game would soon be locked out of half the matches by the arty haters, for instance), but if they keep an individual's ignore list on the small side you'd be forced to use it judiciously.

Actually, a rotating ignore list might be even better. First in last out. 20 or so deep. Toss out tonight's griefers and open yourself back up to others who may have learned their lessons.

dadore #15 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 22:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostCrazyTankLady, on Aug 28 2012 - 21:26, said:

..... a rotating ignore list might be even better. First in last out. 20 or so deep. Toss out tonight's griefers ...

I like that rotating ignore list idea, that's good.  But would need WAY more then 20.  I am one of the ones that complain because I am (have been for some time) at my limit of adding to the ignore (& friends) list.

Orinana #16 Posted Aug 29 2012 - 03:00

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDoomthrall, on Aug 27 2012 - 20:20, said:

World of tanks is/was a great game idea, but like so many other games focused on PVP, sometimes they become unbarable to play with todays "me me me" society.

After 16,000+ games, I cancelled my account. I gave my reasons, but the decent people at WoT suggested that I put them into this forum.

Let me begin by saying, that I have played at every level of World of tanks, and I enjoy a good even tank battle that goes down to the wire. I have also competed in dozens if not hundreds of clan battles with several clans. I get new invites to clans weekly. All I can say about that is, that clan wars are not that entertaing. Especially after you fight over the same handful of maps dozens of times. I spent thousands of my own goal without a penny of re-imbursement, and with both clans, the founders left the clan with all the gold to "explore other options."

So, I focused on soloing. I was able to push my sub 50% win percentage over 50% after much effort and experience. I had racks of their 9s and 10s, including 2 tier 8 artillery.

Here's the issue: After that much issue, I do not have time to log in and fight a few battles where...

A) Some tier 8 decides to platoon with a tier 1 because they think it is funny.
B) Have a lower tier tank follow my tier 10 tank around, continuously ramming into me the entire battle. (Oh, and by the way, the teir 10 gets fined for this.) Sometimes these tanks do not even just run into you, they actively shoot at you. I have dogs that can fine better ways to amuse themselves.
C) Dead people complaining. (I have to admit, I did planty of this. It just irked me how everything in a battle goes well, and then in the matter of 30 seconds, 8 of your tanks die and you are left alone with 2 arty.)
D) Everyone logs in, a Lowe looks at the number of arty and exclaims, "This is bull s%^t there's too much arty, I am out of here." The Lowe then goes on to sit in base AFK the entire game. Then the game turns out fairely close, down to the wire, and everyone thinks, wow, if we only had one more tank.

I know everyone has these complaints, and clans will say you need to join them and their platoons and companies to avoid them. However, we all know this doesn't always work, and many of us with day jobs who want to hop in for a few games, (and financially support the game), do not always want to be continuously hounded to join platoons and companies or log into TS or vent and listen to people whine about real life.

Maybe I am more patient than most people, but I do not mind waiting in queue longer, if I can avoid playing with idiots. How can this be done...

2) Prioritize grouping with friends.
3) Ban constant offenders.
4) And World of Warcraft PVP did this rather affectively. If someone is AFK and several people report them AFK, that person is kicked out of the battle and replaced with someone waiting in Queue. I beleive the person reported's toon is also checked for movement, to prevent a bunch of idiots from reporting someone active, but I am not positive, all I know, it worked.
5) Don't allow stupid platoons. There's no reason a tier 7 should be teamed with a tier 1.

BY playing with idiots you mean Tier 9 and 10...if you want better quality play stick to Tiers 1-7...Tier 8 is borderline acceptable but the real idiocy begins with 9 and ends with 10

Orinana #17 Posted Aug 29 2012 - 03:06

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
heaven forbid we get tier 11-15 because that will be like a insane asylum letting all its patients go free because they ran out of meds