Earning Boots

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

ALPHA_Squadron007 #81 Posted Sep 01 2012 - 16:54

Private

• Players
  • 4061 battles
Tanker boots would be a good achievement, and the M1 Abrams should be in world of tanks. Though it is a WWII based game, the M1 would be good even if it wass only used in training battles. A render would even be nice.

Chopa #82 Posted Sep 01 2012 - 22:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 40923 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
"Though it is a WWII based game"

Surely you jest! This has turned into 50's/60's tankfest with WW2 iron serving as range targets. Why not have Abrams, Challengers, and Leopards to rip similar holes in the current crop of out-of-period supertanks.....oh, but then the whining will hit 11 on the Richter scale. :Smile-hiding:

PanzerXO #83 Posted Sep 02 2012 - 04:39

Major

• Players
  • 13255 battles

View PostBlackhorse_0_0, on Sep 01 2012 - 15:20, said:

Sometimes, the Primary Objective is masked as the Secondary ...

True...   Just as sometimes you must achieve the Secondary to hold the Primary.

Khaosbringer #84 Posted Sep 02 2012 - 19:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 1570 battles

View PostDuty_Remains, on Sep 01 2012 - 08:22, said:

Deuce Tank?  There was a time when my CSM (2nd Eng) was always trying to start a bar fight with that unit... and my company (Bravo Beast) supported them in the field.

That made for some awkward situations.  Fortunately what happened in TDC, stayed in TDC (for the most part anyway).
"If you ain't Deuce Tank you ain't ****" lol Jk.  It was always something there. Take 1st tank, Deuce tank,  the infantry, and the engineers, fill them each with unit pride, then put ten bars on every block in TDC, What could possibly go wrong. lol It was fun though.

oiboy50 #85 Posted Sep 05 2012 - 17:01

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 30389 battles
What a great article. I was infantry with 3rd ID and my FAVORITE training was table 4 and 12. Table 12 was a mile long gut check and about the most awesome thing you can do when '19 years old (clothes off or on)! There is nothing like being MECH. I could care less about airborne or air assault, master gunner school was WAY more difficult! I also realize what kind of blasphemy that is to light infantry guys. But for a tread head, Armor is your best friend.

Cusimanse #86 Posted Sep 09 2012 - 01:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 21971 battles

ALPHA_Squadron007, on Sep 01 2012 - 16:54, said:

Tanker boots would be a good achievement, and the M1 Abrams should be in world of tanks. Though it is a WWII based game, the M1 would be good even if it wass only used in training battles. A render would even be nice.

Part of the M1 Abrams *IS* in the game now.  The final gun (M68) on the M48A1 is the same one on the original M1's (What we now call "Slicks").  So, I should now be able to hit out to 2000 meters.  Of course the dispersion would only be .1 and aim time would be about 1 second then too...

Xlucine #87 Posted Oct 09 2012 - 16:48

Major

• Players
  • 7663 battles
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO
I's curious, is there any training for abrams loaders that uses the hull ammo rack? How quick you can retrieve rounds from them, that kind of thing

Abramsgunner_19K20 #88 Posted Oct 12 2012 - 20:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 22095 battles
  • [366AR] 366AR
I never got my laces hung up on anything, but back when we had the M1's with 105's, I had a hot casing bounce over and melt my laces in two. Soon after that I picked up my first pair of tanker's.  They were pretty comfortable, but the soles were slick which made them useless for much of anything that involved walking cross-country (not that we did that very often).  When we moved from Hood to Garlstedt I switched over to a set of insulated Matterhorn's... they were my favorite for most of rainy gray soup they called weather in the FRG, but they did cost about twice as much as anything else.

Before all the high-dollar gortex stuff came out, we had our 'Graf' jackets....  if you were old-school you had a seamstress sow a green wool blanket inside your plastic rain jacket, if you were one of the young guys, you did the same with a poncho liner, pockets were optional.  A gortex jacket was over $200, a graf jacket set you back maybe $60.   You'd freeze your butt off in an field jacket, but the graf jacket kept you warm and mostly dry.   Add some gortex gloves and a wool scarf and you were ready for the worst.

Blackhorse_Six_ #89 Posted Oct 13 2012 - 06:39

Major

• Players
  • 51080 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

Before all the high-dollar gortex stuff came out, we had our 'Graf' jackets ....  if you were old-school you had a seamstress sew a green wool blanket inside your plastic rain jacket, if you were one of the young guys, you did the same with a poncho liner, pockets were optional.

I remember these as "Baumholder Jackets", made from the blanket and the old, rubberized canvas poncho. I think the Germans started making those not too long after the shooting stopped in '45. Mine had pockets inside and out, and a hood (which was Not the hood of the poncho). I took my American slick-soled tanker boots downtown and got them resoled with some awesome wall-gripping soles - I could walk anywhere in those ... And Matterhorns; I'd forgotten the name of those wonderful boots ... And being up to my knees in casings ... wow ...

Edit: ... Doh! I forgot that I'd already made a similar post awhile ago ... Gonna have to start using Search on my own posts ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users