Hit Zone mod

mod zone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

Taphoo #1 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 02:45

Private

• Players
  • 686 battles
Hey all -

Is using a Hit Zone mod considered cheating? It seems like it's right on the edge, and I don't want to use it if it is. (and I'm not even sure if it will help my lack of gunnery skill :)
Thanks

reichsmarine #2 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 02:50

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1148 battles
not sure. i mean, there is the ingame penet marker. proably borderline. wouldnt use it if i were you.

Emothic #3 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 02:51

Major

• Players
  • 5103 battles
What does it do mainly?

Dabomb48 #4 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 02:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5837 battles
  • [LONER] LONER
I' pretty sure it tells where to shoot to increase the chances of damaging that particular module or crew member. I think it also comes high-lighted with colors of "Where to shoot" Such as

White might represent, the ammo rack...

Also don't use it I think it is considered cheating...

Taphoo #5 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 02:57

Private

• Players
  • 686 battles
It looks like it colors the tanks by where the weak points are on it. For instance blue for where the fuel tank is. I found it at

http://wot-shot.com/...on_of_the_tank/

santuckcasper #6 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 03:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2993 battles
  • [TIHL] TIHL
DONT USE IT MAN!!!!

chafeto21 #7 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 03:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6777 battles
  • [SEUSA] SEUSA
It is just info, why it would be bad?

Emothic #8 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 03:14

Major

• Players
  • 5103 battles
Sounds like a Tank skin that shows color boxes of where the weak armor is and there the modual and crew is. If this is what it is, then you are alright to use it. For WG has no rules against it.

MedicOnDuty #9 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 03:21

Captain

• Players
  • 5213 battles
  • [FCF] FCF
Cheating is defined as "acting dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination". Thus, I define hitskins as cheating because it gives you an advantage over another tank by showing you his weak points when he does not have that same advantage. I don't know what the game EULA says, but I look down on anyone that uses hitskins or custom "hit zone" tank skins.

Clickez4Fun #10 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 03:24

Captain

• Players
  • 21983 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY
WG defines the use of hitskins as legal and not cheating.

Most people don't want you to use them as they don't want you to know the weak points of each tank, and are unwilling to share the information themselves.

ownageboy #11 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 03:26

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2644 battles
  • [RCD] RCD
Although WG allows the use of the hitskin mod. most players (well all players who don't use it) look down upon it and call the user noob who cant figure out weakspots themselves. It's kinda like, being the one guy in school who likes justin bieber. The teachers (WG) dont give a shit but the students (other players) will harrass you.

Kophka #12 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 03:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10788 battles
  • [COD] COD
http://www.bluechedd...7/clown-car.jpg

sempah #13 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 03:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16770 battles
  • [POTT] POTT
nobody knows if you use it or not.  so either use it or dont :).

TankOverlord_1 #14 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 04:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2088 battles
  • [37GTD] 37GTD
Even if you do use one it will be useless unless you're at super close range or if the player sits behind a bush

NoblePlatoon #15 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 04:55

Captain

• Players
  • 15222 battles
  • [KBEAR] KBEAR
Hitzone mods are allowed. Use them if you want to.

Rufrky #16 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 06:41

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20462 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postsfprankster, on Aug 30 2012 - 03:24, said:

WG defines the use of hitskins as legal and not cheating.

Most people don't want you to use them as they don't want you to know the weak points of each tank, and are unwilling to share the information themselves.

I wouldn't share secrets with someone who you would consider an enemy in-game, would you, because then they could kill you easier.

I don't use the skins, but it would seem to me that in order to effectively use them, you would have to see their tank not the silhouette as you want to see the skin on the tank, and you have to really good aim for some of the highlighted spots because on different tanks there are tiny.

This mod is that of a cheat sheet for those that don't know weak spots, more so than it is like an actual aim bot or aim assist.

Like I said, I don't use them,  But when it comes to people that do, I really can't say I care all that much because they might mess up trying to focus on that weak spot than actual shooting and damaging the tank.

Scherzo #17 Posted Sep 01 2012 - 09:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 2343 battles
Another debate on this? Personally I don't use hitskins because they make the tanks look like clown mobiles, but I do spend quite a bit of time studying websites that have screenshots with said hit skins, or just information on where they are because knowing is half the battle. The point is: Hitzone skins are a learning device, a crutch. With bullet accuracy and visual obstacles, it's certainly not any real advantage unless a tank is in plain view and close enough that you can reliably hit a zone over and over. It's a visual aid, similar to how some real life tankers had cards in their tanks with designated hitzones on them for expected enemy vehicles.

So back on the topic. Yes, it's not a mod in the program sense, it's a skin. I believe the main article for the skin is on the first page of the Skin Zone... Too lazy to look myself. Do know that you won't see the highlighted modules in the silhouette form, simply when you're looking at the actual tank itself in open form.

Gilthanis #18 Posted Sep 01 2012 - 09:43

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11463 battles
  • [SNS-R] SNS-R
They are available for download in the forums, and have been for a looooong time.

Do you really think that WG would let a mod they concider cheating to exist on their own forums for over a year?

That said, they are god awful ugly and after a week or so of using them provide no real benefit... providing you have a bit of memory retention.

SpyHawk9 #19 Posted Sep 01 2012 - 13:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21877 battles
  • [BIMBO] BIMBO

View PostTaphoo, on Aug 30 2012 - 02:45, said:

Hey all -

Is using a Hit Zone mod considered cheating? It seems like it's right on the edge, and I don't want to use it if it is. (and I'm not even sure if it will help my lack of gunnery skill :)
Thanks

not cheating but considered a helping tool for new players. i saw it somewhere on the rules i think. cuz i have it, i use it to help me with the new tanks that come out so i know where to hit :D

ShermanPanzer #20 Posted Sep 02 2012 - 07:42

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 15162 battles
  • [JUTSU] JUTSU
The mod IS NOT CHEATING.  WG has allowed it forever.

It's a worthwhile trainer.  Think about it this way - tank commanders in WWII were issued manuals with detailed information about enemy tanks, their weaknesses, correct engagement ranges, etc. (see Tigerfibel, Pantherfibel, etc.)  Hitskins give you information that would not be odd for a commander to have.  

You can shoot yourself in the foot and call it noble, but if you're playing against players with intelligence it's probably a good idea to have it too.

I personally don't use any hitskins anymore, most of the zones are predictable.  Go on the internet and look them up once, you're likely to remember many of them just as a matter of course.  Engines are often (not always, later german tanks, for instance) in the rear.  Shooting sides of turrets is a good idea.  During WWII, American tankers often used mud, paint, or even grease and dirt to cover the stars on the sides of their turrets, as the painting conventions often placed the star directly where the commander or gunner were sitting (rough center of turret side).  When the Japanese and Germans learned this, it became a common target.  This is the thing, knowing where the parts of the tanks are isn't some eldritch science that gives a player an arcane advantage, it's just common sense.  If you use hitskins, fine! If you don't AND don't care to learn the locations of the parts of the tanks you're driving or fighting, you're just hobbling yourself for no reason.  I personally don't buy the moral high ground reasoning.  

I'd rather fight a player who knows what to do.  It's harder, more fun, and encourages the development of skill.  Try to enforce ignorance all you want, but you're only digging your own hole.  You can choose to know what your opponents know, or not.  Choosing ignorance for moral reasons is stupid.  War is not about flying blind and taking random swings.  If you think it is, re-read S'un Tzu.

Gathering intelligence is part of war.  Deal with it.