• This topic is locked This topic is locked
187 replies to this topic

Cirran #21 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 04:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12467 battles
  • [SHAB] SHAB

View PostCombatBoss, on Aug 31 2012 - 04:05, said:

You kill a KV-1 using the same tactics that one uses to kill any slow maneuvering heavy, you track it, flank it, destroy it.  And while doing this, do not trade shots with a Derp'd KV-1.

I run with the Derp cannon and tanks that usually give me grief are the Sherman and Churchill, as these tanks can absorbe a lot of abuse.

I get that but I am talking about pubs and not in a platoon.

Cirran

slenderfungus #22 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 04:15

Major

• Players
  • 34852 battles

View PostCirran, on Aug 31 2012 - 04:00, said:

Hmmm ok, is there any hope for french or american tanks at that tier?

Cirran

Of course there is.  The M4 is a great tank and I loved my M7 with the machine gun 6 pounder.  The T1 HT is also a good tank with good armor for its tier.  I didn't play the ELC since I had already progressed to the Lorraine when 7.5 came out, but that seems to do quite well from what I have seen of them so far.   I honestly couldn't get out of my BDR quick enough since I just could not buy a win with it, but I'm sure that was me and not the tank.

I forgot to mention the American TD's, the Wolverine and T49, those are both fun tanks if you prefer TD's.  I had the Wolverine and recently sold it for the T49 and it is a lot of fun to zip around in.

Edited by slenderfungus, Aug 31 2012 - 04:20.

Cirran #23 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 04:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12467 battles
  • [SHAB] SHAB

View Postslenderfungus, on Aug 31 2012 - 04:15, said:

Of course there is.  The M4 is a great tank and I loved my M7 with the machine gun 6 pounder.  The T1 HT is also a good tank with good armor for its tier.  I didn't play the ELC since I had already progressed to the Lorraine when 7.5 came out, but that seems to do quite well from what I have seen of them so far.   I honestly couldn't get out of my BDR quick enough since I just could not buy a win with it, but I'm sure that was me and not the tank.

I forgot to mention the American TD's, the Wolverine and T49, those are both fun tanks if you prefer TD's.  I had the Wolverine and recently sold it for the T49 and it is a lot of fun to zip around in.

Everyone here has stated that all the vehicles you have mentioned are tread filler for the KV1. Not meaning to rude but I am finding it very enlightning to how KV1 drivers think.

Cirran

KnightFandragon #24 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 04:33

Major

• Players
  • 4617 battles

View PostCirran, on Aug 31 2012 - 04:28, said:

Everyone here has stated that all the vehicles you have mentioned are tread filler for the KV1. Not meaning to rude but I am finding it very enlightning to how KV1 drivers think.

Cirran

Sure, those tanks  Slender mentions are decent, but yeah, facing a KV1, 1v1, NONE of them stand a snowballs chance in hell of killing a KV1....  Of course, I have a clue how to drive it.  I guess I shouldnt scare ya to much, most drivers of KVs are clueless.......but even then, the OPness of the KV armor will usually prevail, even for a shit driver.....only if the driver gives you his front.

slenderfungus #25 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 04:35

Major

• Players
  • 34852 battles

View PostCirran, on Aug 31 2012 - 04:28, said:

Cirran

Well, as mentioned, I do drive a KV-1.  The other tier 5's I have now are the T49, Panzer IV, Stug III, and Chaffee, which doesn't really count as a tier 5.  I don't think the Panzer IV, Stug III or the T49 are tread fillers for the KV-1 at all.  The KV-1, if played properly, can fill its tread with any tier 5, just as any tier 5 can slam a KV-1 into 0 HP in short order if played properly.  I guess my point is, they are all fairly balanced at the moment and anyone using their particular tank properly can beat any other equal in its tier.

Cold_Stream #26 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 04:36

Major

• Players
  • 29514 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
In my KV-1, Basically a situation of 1 vs. whole flank...

Which usually happens in tier 5 matches, 1 Flank is left open... and you have to slow/stop their push with your KV1

Skilled T1HT/KV-1/ PZ4 Drivers... Yeah.. those can tear you a new one...

Neogenex #27 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 04:37

Captain

• Players
  • 10853 battles
What to fear in a KV...anything that gets in close and circles you. If they can circle you, your turret can't keep up. Sure you will bounce a lot of their hits, but in the end you will die. Advice: put your ass on a wall/hill/building. This will keep them from being able to fully circle you, giving your cannon time to end them.

Cirran #28 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 04:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12467 battles
  • [SHAB] SHAB
Hmmm, ok. If I understand correctly. If played correctly a KV1 is unstoppable in pubs. As we all know pubs dont platoon, and dont use tactics. They stop in the open and try to slug it out with any tank they see or they run away and get shot in the back. I dont hear all the raging in pubs about any other tier 5 heavy or for that matter any other tier V vehicle. LOL, I have seen many well played tier 5 heavy do really well 1v1, and 1v2 occasionally. The KV1 in pubs no platoons. Seems to be just like the KV was except the weak turret ring on the KV was super easy to hit. Now the weak points on the KV1 are much harder to hit. You have to deal with his best armor to try and hit them. The whole time he is just pounding you to scrap while you try to bob and weave around him and hit weak points. Did I just say bob and weave in a tier V heavy?
  If I am mistaken please share where I have miss understood.

Cirran

KnightFandragon #29 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 05:00

Major

• Players
  • 4617 battles

View PostCirran, on Aug 31 2012 - 04:54, said:

Hmmm, ok. If I understand correctly. If played correctly a KV1 is unstoppable in pubs. As we all know pubs dont platoon, and dont use tactics. They stop in the open and try to slug it out with any tank they see or they run away and get shot in the back. I dont hear all the raging in pubs about any other tier 5 heavy or for that matter any other tier V vehicle. LOL, I have seen many well played tier 5 heavy do really well 1v1, and 1v2 occasionally. The KV1 in pubs no platoons. Seems to be just like the KV was except the weak turret ring on the KV was super easy to hit. Now the weak points on the KV1 are much harder to hit. You have to deal with his best armor to try and hit them. The whole time he is just pounding you to scrap while you try to bob and weave around him and hit weak points. Did I just say bob and weave in a tier V heavy?

Cirran

Thats pretty much it.  I half way decent played KV1 is almost impervious to everything.  Your only hope is to catch it with a horde in the flank or simply back cap it when its to far to return to defend...but avoid it  ifyou can.  Fighting it will get you faceplanted.  In T6, well, T6s can kill it easy...

slenderfungus #30 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 05:01

Major

• Players
  • 34852 battles

View PostCirran, on Aug 31 2012 - 04:54, said:

Cirran

The KV-1 is not unstoppable, if played properly or not.  It has weaknesses just like any other tier 5 tank, just as it has its strengths.  It is a great brawler, whereas the Panzer IV, for instance, is a great sniper.  If I try to brawl with a KV-1 in my Panzer IV I am likely to lose, just as if I try to snipe a Panzer IV in my KV-1 I am likely to lose.  If you learn to exploit your tank's strengths it will be a formidable opponent for any tank in its tier, at least at tier 5.  If you use it incorrectly your opponent will exploit your weaknesses.

Cirran #31 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 05:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12467 battles
  • [SHAB] SHAB

View Postslenderfungus, on Aug 31 2012 - 05:01, said:

The KV-1 is not unstoppable, if played properly or not.  It has weaknesses just like any other tier 5 tank, just as it has its strengths.  It is a great brawler, whereas the Panzer IV, for instance, is a great sniper.  If I try to brawl with a KV-1 in my Panzer IV I am likely to lose, just as if I try to snipe a Panzer IV in my KV-1 I am likely to lose.  If you learn to exploit your tank's strengths it will be a formidable opponent for any tank in its tier, at least at tier 5.  If you use it incorrectly your opponent will exploit your weaknesses.

Sir,
You are making the assumption that you have someone to keep it occupied while you shoot, spot for you to shoot long range, or have a couple of buddies who will swarm it. All tanks have strengths and weaknesses but the KV1 has a trump card. It seems to be able to play to it's strengths playing by it's self. I am not saying it is OP, I am NOT saying nerf it. I am just saying with how pubs are. No other tier V heavy has it's advantages that are so easy to just roll over the other team. Also every KV1 has 14 friends that are usually emboldended by said KV1. I was hoping by asking KV1 drivers what they thought I could possibly glean some new knowlege to share with the great unwashed masses that is pubs. I have a vested intrest in imporving tier V game play. All my games are un platooned pubs and if I have more information to try and share with my fellow pubs. I hope to see less tanks running away or just being plain silly. I am curious what is the global win rate with the KV1 vs the rest of tier V? I am also very curious how many are owned in comparison to the rest of tier V.

Cirran

I_Robot #32 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 06:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 46961 battles
  • [ELLAS] ELLAS

View PostCirran, on Aug 31 2012 - 05:37, said:

Sir,
You are making the assumption that you have someone to keep it occupied while you shoot, spot for you to shoot long range, or have a couple of buddies who will swarm it. All tanks have strengths and weaknesses but the KV1 has a trump card. It seems to be able to play to it's strengths playing by it's self. I am not saying it is OP, I am NOT saying nerf it. I am just saying with how pubs are. No other tier V heavy has it's advantages that are so easy to just roll over the other team. Also every KV1 has 14 friends that are usually emboldended by said KV1. I was hoping by asking KV1 drivers what they thought I could possibly glean some new knowlege to share with the great unwashed masses that is pubs. I have a vested intrest in imporving tier V game play. All my games are un platooned pubs and if I have more information to try and share with my fellow pubs. I hope to see less tanks running away or just being plain silly. I am curious what is the global win rate with the KV1 vs the rest of tier V? I am also very curious how many are owned in comparison to the rest of tier V.

Cirran

Sir,
You have your answer already. Snipe it or circle it. If you cant do any of these, let someone else do the job. This is a team game and heavies are not something you can kill easily on your own, except from when you are in a heavy yourself.
Not being in a heavy tank yourself and with no support from another tank, td or arty, the heavy driver must be really stupid or unlucky to get beaten whether he drives a KV, a T1 or a BDR. If you cannot get one out of 14 people to help you kill the tier top HTs in a battle, well there is nothing more you can do.

Now if the answer you really want to read is that "the KV is immortal god himself" well, you will get dissapointed. We have already told you all the ways to kill it, with many different tanks. You didnt get what you want? No reason to "sir" people, just get in a training room with a KV and start shooting till you know all you want to know.

cheers

hoom #33 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 07:21

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20740 battles
T5s with 120mm or higher pen that can fairly reliably penetrate even when angled.
M4, T49, M10, T1, Stug, Pz4, Froggies, other KV-1 (particularly the derp), Su85.
Churchill & T34 can kill with sheer dpm despite difficulty in penetrating.

At least, I kill KV-1s with several of those easy enough, personally I don't find much issue beating all of the above with my KV-1 though.
Probably I have most issues with Stugs.

banana2011 #34 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 07:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13360 battles
i used my kv1 for credits, its so helpful, though its gun was reduced to lower tier.... mm also made it easy coz right now kv-1 matches to tier7 maximum only. it always put me at top tier every game.

RoboGT #35 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 08:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 21355 battles
  • [FINE] FINE
I'm sort of new, and I like my KV-1. I'll tell you what, feared it might be, but hated it is. I work hard for my win, because nothing motivates Red like seeing KV-1 after your name. I've been killed by Bisons and Types alike. They (KV-1) get a lot of play time, so people learn about armor weaknesses first from the KV-1 it seems to me. So everyone knows how to kill it.
I've played my KV-1 about as much as all other tanks combined, and my most feared tanks are the Priest with its over 9000 armor right when it just needs to die, and........
T1 Heavy. I think this get skipped through. Not a lot of pumped up ones on the boards. But when they are, you can tell. This, compared to the KV-1 most people I think stick on for a while because it does ok with mini-derp. You see many with above average crews, best components that they want, etc. But believe me, I respect you low/mid tier American twink tanks. An M3 driven like a TD on crack can do a lot if its got some skill/perks. I think the problem here is the percentage of maxed out tanks of different kinds you are seeing.
I run expensive equipment, BIA, another set of skills/perks, and am working on my third.  I pretty much only run the 85mm. I really only worry about enemy heavies and arty. All other heavies answer to the gun and crew of a KV-1. But it seems beatable enough to me, maybe I need to play harder? I think a bunch of people run their premium (in this case Churchill and T14) with a dedicated crew. Which doesn't make a lick of sense to me. But means I'm usually not facing as strong a crew there. And precious few play in the BDR or T1 for long. But those tanks can smash the crap out of the huge holes in the KV-1 armor. Ever see a Churchill running Lend-Lease and removed speed governor? I have. And the first time you see a 57mm mounted on a KV-1 will be the most shocked 10seconds of "WTF! HAX!" you have in your KV-1.
But I digress. I see someone pointed out you kill it like all other Big Slow Heavies. This is the most important thing: TACTICS! Its just the KV-1 is run with the most reliably good crews of the Tier 5 heavies, so people don't have to execute on tactics as well against others. IMHO.

Tier5 Troll out.

FatnissEverdeen #36 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 16:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 17260 battles
T5 tds can ruin your day...prioritize them over easier kills as they bounce far less.

Good fast medium drivers like pz3/4 or easy 8 can circle your slow turret traverse and have the pen to hurt you. But this will fail if you have any support at all to protect your butt.

slenderfungus #37 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 19:53

Major

• Players
  • 34852 battles

View PostCirran, on Aug 31 2012 - 05:37, said:

Sir,

Cirran

I play mostly un-platooned pubs with my highest percentage of games played in Tier 5.  Most certainly I don't want to turn this into a stats conversation, however I believe I have played more tier 5 games than you have played total with more that 3000 played in my Panzer IV alone and over 1000 in the KV/KV-1.  So, if you choose to discount what I have said, and others have said for that matter, I have no problem with it.  If you believe a KV-1 can roll over a team on its own, I encourage you to get one and do that, obviously you would be better than I am by single-handedly being able to roll a team.  While the KV-1 is strong, it most definitely has its weaknesses and can be killed without swarm attacks or by being occupied or spotted by other tier 5 tanks.  There are several sources of information where to learn the weak points of each tank in the game, which I am sure you could easily find with a search.  Perhaps it would be good to review some of those sources to gain the knowledge you are seeking rather than asking here.  

As for improving tier 5 game play, I too have had an interest in improving it. I'm not sure how you would call yours a "vested" interest, unless you consider the number of premium tanks you own in the tier as being vested, which I would not.  With that said, battles for regular tier 5 tanks have just gotten much better with the introduction of the tier spread reduction that was introduced in the 7.5 update and the KV-1 along with other tier 5 tanks is seeing the benefit.   If you look at this link, you would see that the KV-1 is not performing much, if any, better than other tier 5 tanks, including several of the ones you have purchased:  http://forum.worldof...ver-statistics/.

I don't want to sound rude, but I am done with this thread.  You have demonstrated that you are looking for an answer that I, along with others, am not able to provide since it appears you are looking to justify a claim that can not be supported.  The KV-1 is clearly not a "Trump Card" by any means and if you are finding difficulty fighting them I can only suggest you learn how to rather than suggesting it is far-and-away superior to any other tier 5, which it is not.  I like my KV-1 as much as my other tier 5 tanks, but if I truly felt it was the mighty beast that you are suggesting that it is, I would have no reason to play any other tank.  If that was the case, I would suggest to the devs that they change the "Battle" button for the KV-1 to "Win" instead.  Well, good luck buddy, I am sure you will find someone out there to agree with your claim about the KV-1, I am just not that someone.

ComradeHX #38 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 20:30

Major

• Players
  • 13810 battles
To be honest I got more top gun/sniper/master gunner...etc. in my captured Panzer IV than in my KV-1(which I sold).

Especially in pubs when scouts suicide and arty rush forward to spot for itself.

Edited by ComradeHX, Aug 31 2012 - 20:31.

iomegaman #39 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 20:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30297 battles
  • [CV-41] CV-41
Hidden PzIV seems to get my KV-1 now and then.  Same for the StuGIII.  However, I killed two KV-1's in my T1 HT last night so maybe I should fear myself. :Smile_mellow:

Neogenex #40 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 22:08

Captain

• Players
  • 10853 battles
T1HT is a force to be reckoned with. It's fast with a quick firing gun. It can easily circle a KV and make short work of it. The KV derp is nothing like it used to be, so the T1 can even take a derp to the face THEN circle it. Either way, best thing to do to kill a KV....circle it :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users