8.0 Major SLI Slowdown

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

MA_MA_G47 #1 Posted Sep 26 2012 - 19:57

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3315 battles
Hi there. Please move to the appropriate section if it is not already.

Started 8.0 this morning with SLI enabled to see if WoT supports SLI this time around. Using dual GeForce GTX 560s the performance of this game was somewhat lower, albeit marginal, with 7.5 as opposed to using just 1 card. Now that 8.0 is around, I played a game with SLI with an average of 19-21 fps. Restarted the game with the same settings without SLI and I get an average of around 98 fps. The rift between the two display modes in this new version is huge.

I am not sure if nVidia or Wargaming have any plans to optimize World of Tanks for SLI-equipped machines, but for now if you have it, just use 1 card and the game will run MUCH faster.

Have a great day!

Mr_Irritation #2 Posted Sep 26 2012 - 21:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 28634 battles
Same problem here, with 560gtx cards. Trying reinstall, waiting on defrag now. Hope it will help.

Edit: Didn't help fps broke for SLI. Was getting 127 range in 7.5, now lucky to get 20 with SLI inabled. Had use V-sync to force it up to 60. Going to try without SLI.

Edit2: Well lucky to get 85fps on single card thnx WG, nice job on ruining SLI. An before the fanboys tell me to change this an that forget it. SLI worked great in 7.5 maxed out settings, latest drivers, No problems.

Edited by Mr_Irritation, Sep 26 2012 - 22:22.

KiloZulu #3 Posted Sep 26 2012 - 23:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22756 battles
  • [LANCE] LANCE
Same problem - three GTX 570 cards and I seem to be averaging mid-20's for fps.

MA_MA_G47 #4 Posted Sep 27 2012 - 00:37

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3315 battles
I got SLI for the sole reason of running WoT faster, since it's my favorite game to play. Kind of defeats the purpose now that SLI drastically reduces performance of my GPUs, as little sense as that makes. With every new card I got the performance on other games improved dramatically, whereas WoTs performance increase was minimal.

Nonetheless, running with a single video card makes the game perform very well in 8.0. I just hope that with one of the next patches Wargaming and nVidia/ATI/AMD will work together for an SLI/Crossfire profile to support mulitple cards so those of us who have them can take full advantage of the power in our machines. I don't know what game would be better than running WoT with completely maxed out settings on my rig as a pure tour-de-force for my hardware.

At any rate, SLI compatibility or not, WG has gone leaps and bounds over the previous versions of WoT with 8.0. Thanks Wargaming!

pilot8218 #5 Posted Sep 27 2012 - 00:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19986 battles
Yep, pre 8.0 my 6950 CrossFire worked. Now the second GPU does nothing.

However the game seems to run as good or better on one GPU.

iRacerX #6 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 08:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 15617 battles
Hmm.. it seems perhaps both SLI and Crossfire have both been gimped in 8.0?

I've always ran WOT with Crossfire enabled on a pair of 5870's and 90-99% on 1 GPU and 70-90% or so load on the second GPU.

Always with good framerates and other than an occasional flicker or anomaly everything ran pretty well.

Now, since upgrading to 8.0 I get 99% load on 1 GPU and 0% on the second regardless if I try to force it or any other option.

The new engine runs well enough and looks pretty dam good without crossfire, but would be nice to see how much better it would perform on both.

Hopefully they'll get multi GPU and Core support in sometime down the road?

MrCyberdude #7 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 14:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 22188 battles
  • [LRRP] LRRP
Same problem here with SLI on 20-30 FPS and with SLI off I get 100+ FPS.
What has happened WarGaming?

bigshotking #8 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 16:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 20721 battles
KaizerG1, you say you got SLI  only for World of Tanks? Have you tried other games? If not then what is your CPU, it might be bottle necking your SLI setup leading to very poor FPS with SLI on, compared to SLI off.

I use SLI and I get moderately good performance, around 5 FPS higher compared to 7.5. You guys should also be aware the engine was overhauled big time, meaning it is still in development even after release. Over the next few updates we will see the engine become more optimized, so sit back relax and kill some tanks!

Edited by bigshotking, Oct 01 2012 - 16:57.

MA_MA_G47 #9 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 18:56

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3315 battles

View Postbigshotking, on Oct 01 2012 - 16:54, said:

KaizerG1, you say you got SLI  only for World of Tanks? Have you tried other games? If not then what is your CPU, it might be bottle necking your SLI setup leading to very poor FPS with SLI on, compared to SLI off.

I use SLI and I get moderately good performance, around 5 FPS higher compared to 7.5. You guys should also be aware the engine was overhauled big time, meaning it is still in development even after release. Over the next few updates we will see the engine become more optimized, so sit back relax and kill some tanks!

Yes, I've used SLI on plenty of other games that I hadn't before, and I've seen massive performance increases. The Source Games, the Unreal Engine games, Command and Conquer 3, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, and Company of Heroes run almost flawlessly now. But as for WoT, it seems to be the only game that runs worse than without SLI. I have no complaints about the performance of the game with SLI disabled, it would just be nice to be able to utilize SLI across the board with all my titles. My processor is an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T if that matters at all. Not the best on the market, but good enough to run WoT on the highest detail.

I am also aware that this improved engine is still in the "developmental" stages since it's been overhauled and, like most new technology improvements in the modern world, will take some time to work ot the kinks and tweak it just right so that it runs at full potential. Even with the more recent updates leading up to 7.5 you and I saw that here and there were "adjusted [visual effect] graphics to improve performance on most machines." With the new update I anticipate to see more of these. The BigWorld (or whatever it's called) engine used for WoT is a great platform, but (trying to keep this from sounding offensive at all) does not have the finesse for PC performance as a more widely used engine, such as Source or the Unreal Engine, and even today those get performance tweaks for many of their games.

Even with this fault, WG still doesn't cease to impress with the 8.0 patch. The additions are great even with the minor flaws, and aside from the simple step of switching SLI off to play WoT, it doesn't negatively affect my WoT experience in any way. I'm not complaining here in this thread. I'm just putting this problem that many of us WoT fans are encountering becasue on the forums for the devs to be aware. And though there will be those that disagree because "there iz a russian bias" or "the german tanks ar OP ," the developers at Wargaming actually listen and work to improve the issues with the game that matter, and are not merely the preference of a fanboy who simply wants their tanks so powerful that they win every single match effortlessly with the most kills and XP (thus ruining the gameplay experience by removing the challenge, mind you).

Keep it up, Wargaming, and I can't wait for the future of World of Tanks!

bigshotking #10 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 23:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 20721 battles

View PostKaizerG1, on Oct 01 2012 - 18:56, said:

Yes, I've used SLI on plenty of other games that I hadn't before, and I've seen massive performance increases. The Source Games, the Unreal Engine games, Command and Conquer 3, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, and Company of Heroes run almost flawlessly now. But as for WoT, it seems to be the only game that runs worse than without SLI. I have no complaints about the performance of the game with SLI disabled, it would just be nice to be able to utilize SLI across the board with all my titles. My processor is an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T if that matters at all. Not the best on the market, but good enough to run WoT on the highest detail.

I am also aware that this improved engine is still in the "developmental" stages since it's been overhauled and, like most new technology improvements in the modern world, will take some time to work ot the kinks and tweak it just right so that it runs at full potential. Even with the more recent updates leading up to 7.5 you and I saw that here and there were "adjusted [visual effect] graphics to improve performance on most machines." With the new update I anticipate to see more of these. The BigWorld (or whatever it's called) engine used for WoT is a great platform, but (trying to keep this from sounding offensive at all) does not have the finesse for PC performance as a more widely used engine, such as Source or the Unreal Engine, and even today those get performance tweaks for many of their games.

Even with this fault, WG still doesn't cease to impress with the 8.0 patch. The additions are great even with the minor flaws, and aside from the simple step of switching SLI off to play WoT, it doesn't negatively affect my WoT experience in any way. I'm not complaining here in this thread. I'm just putting this problem that many of us WoT fans are encountering becasue on the forums for the devs to be aware. And though there will be those that disagree because "there iz a russian bias" or "the german tanks ar OP ," the developers at Wargaming actually listen and work to improve the issues with the game that matter, and are not merely the preference of a fanboy who simply wants their tanks so powerful that they win every single match effortlessly with the most kills and XP (thus ruining the gameplay experience by removing the challenge, mind you).

Keep it up, Wargaming, and I can't wait for the future of World of Tanks!

I had an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T! It's a thing of beauty ain't it?! Great performance for the cost! But sadly there is a downside to it, when I was using that CPU with my two 560 GTXs in SLI the CPU would bottleneck the GPUs. I never overclocked so that might have been the reason why I was getting a major bottleneck. I recently got the new AMD FX-8150 8 Core at 3.6GHz and my issues with SLI are gone.

Piratical #11 Posted Oct 02 2012 - 02:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8987 battles
Here's hoping for better multi-card scaling in future patches...I'd really like to use my pair of 7950s ya know :P...still every other game I play uses them well, just wish the drivers weren't so lolrandom with performance...

The new engine is quite a bit more optimized still...fps is decent in spite of a single card even with settings maxed.

Slick_Willy #12 Posted Oct 02 2012 - 05:42

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 5960 battles
Dear WoT player,

The game is broke. Thanks for paying!

-The Management

KiloZulu #13 Posted Oct 03 2012 - 05:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22756 battles
  • [LANCE] LANCE
Whether it's tied to the same issue or not, I've found that if I alt+tab out of the game at any point, say to get gold, every battle after that will have single digit FPS.  I can fix the problem for each battle by hitting alt+tab, but will have to do it for every battle until I restart the game completely.

On my gaming laptop, with a GeForce GT 540M, I'm getting 70+ FPS.  I'm still lucky to hit 30 FPS with my PC's SLI set-up...lucky?  Please fix soon. :(

GAZ_MAN_432 #14 Posted Oct 03 2012 - 16:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've had this problem too but after a minute or two, it goes up to 78 FPS. However, sometimes it's 20FPS through the whole battle. Unplayable since I'm so used to fast FPS,
Average of 20 FPS at the start of games until it loads up the map into the memory I'm assuming.

Using SLI GTX 560 TIs

Edited by GAZ_MAN_432, Oct 03 2012 - 16:46.

misscleo #15 Posted Oct 03 2012 - 17:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19857 battles
If you  play fullscreen, try renaming "worldoftanks.exe" to “AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe", start the game, and see if you notice a difference. Running a program like MSI afterburner and turning on the RTSS so it shows in game statistics will help better understand what's going on. Try setting the max prerendered frames to 4 or more.

BoudahXL #16 Posted Oct 04 2012 - 16:16

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14956 battles

View PostSlick_Willy, on Oct 02 2012 - 05:42, said:

Dear WoT player,

The game is broke. Thanks for paying!

-The Management

Sad but true, premium ending, not gonna renew unless fixed.

BigBurkeyBoy #17 Posted Oct 29 2012 - 04:28

Private

• Players
  • 19384 battles
I have a similar problem running SLI GTX 680 SC from eVGA. I am running driver version GeForce 306.97. When I disable SLI from the nVidia control panel my FPS jumps to around 70fps. However if I have SLI enabled I only get around 17-22fps.

misscleo #18 Posted Oct 29 2012 - 05:36

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19857 battles
Devs said the game needs to be profiled again by nVida so have patience.

MrCyberdude #19 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 08:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 22188 battles
  • [LRRP] LRRP
Any news on this? as the last time I made a submission to nVidia they responded within a week. Which dev is following this up?

Edited by MrCyberdude, Nov 10 2012 - 08:22.

misscleo #20 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 09:17

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19857 battles
The Russian developers, not sure if they said anything else about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users