Why Should I Join Clan Wars?

clan wars tier

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

OIS #1 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23594 battles
Can someone please tell me what the point of Clan Wars is? I enjoy playing in Medium Tank companies. My highest tier currently is Tier VIII. I just have not found any compelling reason to continue up the tank tree to a Tier X whose primary purpose (due to upkeep costs) is to run clan wars.

Clan wars sounds like a grind with people constantly being recruited to keep territories so the clan keeps getting gold to distribute. I mean I see the point there, gold makes the world go-around and all that.

But what I want to know is if there is some other point to getting to a Tier X? Are those game fun all unto themselves? Is fighting in clan wars FUN?

Can I get some responses on why I should join a clan to fight in clan wars?

FlorbFnarb #2 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:37

Major

• Players
  • 12163 battles
  • [M--M] M--M
Do the clans buy gold themselves to distribute to their members as rewards, or does the company give each clan war clan an allotment of gold for the purpose?

Ace_Emil #3 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3425 battles
It is kind of top end content, like the big raids on other games
I have been there done that, starting again and so far not interested in them, I like playing my Lowe the most, odd but true
Clan wars everyone needs to work together, you learn so much it is a good idea to try to participate
your playing level will grow if you are in a decent clan that has strategies and maps, learn not to chat over the team leader etc.  lot to learn and it is very fun the more you play and better you get = more fun imho
free gold as well
my problem is not having the time to participate
if you have time to commit i would say join up and battle on!

It is a lot more fun win or lose to see everyone do a strategy and after you get used to playing well with others it will turn you into one of those people who ask the team "we are south do not rush the valley" and grind your teeth when you see lemming teams LOL

Edited by Ace_Emil, Oct 01 2012 - 21:41.

Ace_Emil #4 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3425 battles
Clans earn gold by holding land, most of the top clans distribute the gold fairly to all players who participate
Clan Leaders distribute gold it is not automatic
Never heard of too many clans who gobble the gold or cheat people, if so they do not last long

Edited by Ace_Emil, Oct 01 2012 - 21:39.

OIS #5 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23594 battles
I play the Tank Companies a lot so I figured Clan Wars was just more of the same.

So it sounds like the gold distribution thing is the primary reason to sink time into it.

I do like the look of a few of the Tier X tanks from a historical interest standpoint, so there is that appeal to me. I suppose you'd almost need some gold distributed if you wanted to play Tier X's a lot in Absolute TC's or just pubbing due to the cost. I don't have a premium tank and don't plan on getting one. I use my hellcat mainly because I love it but also as my earn cash tank with premium account.

Edited by OIS, Oct 01 2012 - 21:48.

Mantisman630 #6 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:52

Captain

• Players
  • 9554 battles

View PostFlorbFnarb, on Oct 01 2012 - 21:37, said:

Do the clans buy gold themselves to distribute to their members as rewards, or does the company give each clan war clan an allotment of gold for the purpose?

If you go into CW and manage to hold land, the land will give a free amount of gold, (depending on how much gold a land is worth) to the "bank," then the commander of the clan can distribute the gold out to the clan members accordingly. Some land are worth only a few dozen gold per day while other important pieces of land, aka provinces, are worth a few thousand a day...also, if the clan is good enough, they can hold multiple pieces of land and can get 10k+++ gold a day for that clan.

VladimirsRevenge #7 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:53

Major

• Players
  • 9087 battles
First off, you don't have a tier 10 tank, so you can't play clan wars. Nobody will take you.

Mantisman630 #8 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:53

Captain

• Players
  • 9554 battles

View PostOIS, on Oct 01 2012 - 21:48, said:

I play the Tank Companies a lot so I figured Clan Wars was just more of the same.

So it sounds like the gold distribution thing is the primary reason to sink time into it.

I do like the look of a few of the Tier X tanks from a historical interest standpoint, so there is that appeal to me. I suppose you'd almost need some gold distributed if you wanted to play Tier X's a lot in Absolute TC's or just pubbing due to the cost. I don't have a premium tank and don't plan on getting one. I use my hellcat mainly because I love it but also as my earn cash tank with premium account.

You do NOT need to have a premium account OR a premium tank to run tier 10s...having either or both of the mentioned can make it an easier experience.

OIS #9 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23594 battles
I've reviewed WoT's Clan Wars document closely before I posted this. I guess I just wanted to see that the main driving force was in fact gold distribution.

I think the most interesting part of Tier X for me would be I still dislike the MM, so when your're playing Tier X, you simply cannot meet any higher tier than yourself (arty party problems aside)

Edited by OIS, Oct 01 2012 - 21:56.

Avocet #10 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:56

Major

• Players
  • 10441 battles
If you're not interested in clan wars, tier X tanks are still fun, but no more fun than the other tiers. The biggest difference is that you are guaranteed to have a major impact on your team (being top tank every battle), but you will often lose money and it will take a long time to earn what you need to research and purchase a tier X. Personally, because I'm not involved in CW anymore, I've not played tier X a whole lot. I do still want to get an M48, but it will be a while before I get there. There's fun to be had, but it's certainly a time investment.

CW experiences are likely different depending on the clan you're in. The point of CW, generally, is to compete at a high level and earn some gold (you may or not turn a profit depending on how much gold ammo you use). The teamwork involved is off-the-charts compared to a random battle (and even compared to a team company), and the level of competition is going to be steep. You will almost certainly get better, but you'll also find that it can be a significant time commitment (which is mostly why I'm not involved).

I think you either have to be motivated by gold or have a very strong competitive nature to have more fun in CW than other battles. CW is more intense (for some clans, it's "serious business"), and you'll spend as much time (more, actually) preparing for the battle than you will spend fighting. That said, winning battles and conquering the global map will earn you and your clan some street cred and the equivalent of real money (gold). Random battles/TCs just offer the chance to blow off some steam and progress in your tank grind.

It's up to you to determine what kind of game experience you're interested in. Good luck!

View PostVladimirsRevenge, on Oct 01 2012 - 21:53, said:

First off, you don't have a tier 10 tank, so you can't play clan wars. Nobody will take you.
Um, yes, that's why OP was asking whether it's worth the time investment to get a tier 10 or not. CW is the biggest reason to get one.

ethics_gradient #11 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:58

Captain

• Players
  • 21945 battles
  • [VPG] VPG
Clan wars represents the most sophisticated form of tank warfare in World of Tanks.  you see entire teams bringing end tier afv's employing strategies that have been carefully prepared in advance, using teamspeak and headsets in order to coordinate their movement.  Often, these teams will have played with each other multiple times, and most clans also have practice sessions.

By contrast, tank companies generally do not employ only end tier tanks (except, possibly, absolute, but you're more often see tier some non-end tier tanks in those battles too), and because the maps are random, you generally don't see teams use pre-planned battle strats.

Generally speaking, gold is a fringe benefit to clan wars.

Mantisman630 #12 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 21:59

Captain

• Players
  • 9554 battles

View PostOIS, on Oct 01 2012 - 21:55, said:

I've reviewed WoT's Clan Wars document closely before I posted this. I guess I just wanted to see that the main driving force was in fact gold distribution.

I think the most interesting part of Tier X for me would be I still dislike the MM, so when your're playing Tier X, you simply cannot meet any higher tier than yourself (arty party problems aside)

Ah, but some tier 10s are better than others and you can easily die to players who know how to use their tier 10s. Arty as always is a problem too. This is the big case with the AMX 50B, it has so little armor that if a big high tier arty hits you, it will do full damage and can often kill you with one hit. Same goes for HE shells...different tier 10s have different plays styles and there always is going to be someone out there in a tier 10 that could be better than you or just as good.

Whiskey_dod #13 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 22:01

Captain

• Players
  • 23002 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
The level of competition amongst the top CW clans is something truly spectacular. The gold is nice and all, but I enjoy the actual battles the most. Since those high-level clans have a lot of good players in them as well, it is a perfect place to learn a new tank role, since you will probably be able to find somebody in the clan who has some sort o mastery over that particular class of tank.

OIS #14 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 22:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23594 battles
Ok this is all coming together for me now. Bronco really hit on the head there too I think.

I used to be in a top 3 BF42 clan when it first came out and clan wars as you all describe it is what we did all the time too. Intense practice sessions etc. So I know what you mean, I know they use battle planners and such but maybe I underestimated, never having done it in WoT, the great feeling of accomplisment rising to the top due to the time committed to perfecting as a fighting unit.

Been a lot of years removed from Vanillla BF42, so I'd forgotten about that part of it, which I used to really enjoy.

I think I will work harder on my Patton then M48. I'm only really interested in the American Tanks since I was a real life tanker in the Army so they pull at my heartstrings more ;-)

I was looking into this, because I had decided my goal was to get to 4,000 battles in my Hellcat. No particular reason just something to shoot for. Maybe I'd have more enjoyment out of the Tier X stuff than just working my hellcat to a specific number like that just to keep me focused. I have been playing a lot lately and I do really love 8.0 so I'm even more motivated.

I'm one of those guys playing on a pretty crappy laptop so 8.0 helped my FPS and it looks better, just like WoT promised would happen! So I'm really into WoT right now!

Redwing6 #15 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 22:29

Major

• Players
  • 23338 battles
  • [CONZ] CONZ

View PostOIS, on Oct 01 2012 - 21:34, said:

Can someone please tell me what the point of Clan Wars is? I enjoy playing in Medium Tank companies. My highest tier currently is Tier VIII. I just have not found any compelling reason to continue up the tank tree to a Tier X whose primary purpose (due to upkeep costs) is to run clan wars.

Clan wars sounds like a grind with people constantly being recruited to keep territories so the clan keeps getting gold to distribute. I mean I see the point there, gold makes the world go-around and all that.

But what I want to know is if there is some other point to getting to a Tier X? Are those game fun all unto themselves? Is fighting in clan wars FUN?

Can I get some responses on why I should join a clan to fight in clan wars?
If you like TC's you'll LOVE CW!  It's TC's on steriods.  You'll see far better players than you can find in TC's.  It's also much more difficult...if you can LEAD a TC you'll do well in CW.  Keep that in mind.  TC's are a training ground for clan wars...

View PostOIS, on Oct 01 2012 - 22:14, said:

I think I will work harder on my Patton then M48.
Work the T-62A or the BatChat.  since the nerf in 8.0 you won't see very many M48A1's in CW any more.

Edited by Redwing6, Oct 01 2012 - 22:32.

Whee #16 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 22:35

Major

• Players
  • 21493 battles
  • [USVCH] USVCH
You should consider. It's an amazing experience and brings a whole new kind of gameplay. You will improve and learn how to cooperate and not take over the mic in battle.

if you don't really often have the time to play it every night, some clans even allow you to show up like at least 2 times a week.

ed_anger #17 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 22:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13764 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
if you want to be in competitive, organized play in WoT theres tournaments and clan wars. tournaments usually have smaller teams (5-7 people) and different tiers depending on the tourny. clan wars teams are 15 people with tier 10 tanks, and to be effective in clan wars a clan needs at least a couple teams worth of people on every night. some clans specialize in one or the other, many do both.