Tutorial: How To Make Your Own Tank Sounds In Wot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

BodhiWanKenobi #1 Posted Nov 16 2010 - 17:42

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Tired of the muffled gun sound on your favorite leichttractor? Want to replace the Hummel engine sound with a low buzzing bumble bee, or the game music with your favorite metal tracks? Here's how:

Extracting the original sounds
World of Tanks stores its audio files in an FSB bank located in C:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\res\audio.
Use FSB Extract to extract the WAV files from the .fsb bank. The audio format is ADPCM, which your PC might not be able to play with your default player (depending on what audio codecs you have installed). For easy playback you can use MusicPlayerEx. MusicPlayerEx can also convert the extracted sound files to regular PCM WAV (playable in most audio software) by dragging the FSB bank to the playlist which will list all the sounds, right-clicking on the sound and selecting "Convert". However with this conversion method you will get a generic file naming.

Note: As of version 6.2.7, the format of some sounds have changed to MP3, for example in the music.fsb bank. These are directly playable in any MP3 player.

Building a new library of sounds
Unfortunately the extracted WAV files sometimes gives you little indication as to which sounds are used by which tanks. As for example with the weapon sounds, only the Tiger sounds are named "Tiger88mm_fire". The rest are named "75mm_fire_01" to "75mm_fire_13" and similar. Many tanks also share the same sound. Replacing the sounds is therefore a matter of trial and error, either making an in-game recording of what sound your tank is making and then comparing it to the sounds to figure out which one to replace, or just replacing them all with similar sounds by auditioning them. Time permitting I will make a list of which gun sounds correspond to which tank.

The actual creation and editing of sounds is a much longer topic, so I'll leave that out for this part.

Setting up FMOD
Once you have built your new library of sounds, use FMOD Soundbank Generator to compile the FSB. You will find the .exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Tools\FMOD SoundSystem\FMOD Programmers API Win64\tools\fsbankex.exe
Rename the output file at the top left in FMOD to the same name as the original sound bank has, and set the output directory. Preferably just save it to the desktop for easy access when testing.
THe FMOD profile settings are explained further down in this tutorial.

Naming and order of sounds
Your new sounds needs to have the same name as the sounds you are replacing. They also need to be placed in the same order in the sound bank, or they will play back at the wrong time, i.e. Leopard getting the Tiger gun sound and so forth, or not play back at all. To figure out the order of the sounds you will need to audition the original sound bank and take notes of which sounds are played from first to last. This is the tedious part of making your own sound mods, lol. I will post lists of the correct order here whenever I mod a sound bank.

Open MusicPlayerEX and drag the file "weapons.fsb" (or the bank you are working on) to the playlist. MusicPlayerEX will now display the correct order of the sounds - but with a generic naming. Listen to the sounds and compare them with the previously extracted sounds to figure out the order of the sounds.

Creating your new sound bank
Once you have figured out the order of the sounds, drag them in that order to the top left field of FMOD to place them in the bank. Note that you can save this as a FMOD SoundGenerator Project file, for opening later when you have made any changes to your mod. As long as the audio files remain in the same directory and have the same name, it will just process them again.
When you are done, press the hammer button (Build) to create your bank.

The default profile settings in FMOD will work but create uncompressed PCM audio which results in larger files and more memory usage. The original WOT audio file format is ADPCM, which can also be selected in FMOD (IMA ADPCM) and which will create a smaller sound bank with a compression ratio of 4:1. There is a clearly audible difference (the sound becomes slightly grainy and flat) so for any sounds that are played back frequently I would recommend testing a higher setting.
You might also want to keep the ADPCM coding and experiment with sample rate. The original sounds in WOT uses sample rates of 11 kHz, 16 kHz, 32 kHz and 44.1 kHz. Anything below 44.1 kHz (which is also the sample rate of audio CD's) will produce a degraded sound. The lower you go, the more grainy and noisy it will sound. Keeping everything at 44.1 kHz will provide the ultimate sound quality, but might also result in out of memory errors and performance issues, as a higher sample rate increases the file size of the sample and thus more memory needed to load it.
I'm guessing the developers of the current sound banks in WOT are intentionally using this low quality for the beta, as to improve the game engine before they put any stress to it.

Only the more advanced tools of FMOD can change the sample rate. Although there is an option for sample rate optimization in FMOD Soundbank Generator, it's unclear as to what it does, so I would leave it unchecked. Sample rate conversion is best done in a good quality audio editor. Note that upsampling from for example 16 kHz to 44.1 kHz will not improve the audio quality, as downsampling is a destructive process. The result will be similar to a 44.1 kHz recording of a 16 kHz audio file.

Testing your new sound bank
Put your new sound bank in its corresponding directory in C:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\res\audio. Before you replace any sound banks, remember to make a backup of the original sound bank.
Time to boot up WOT. Once the new sound bank is in use in WOT, there might be errors, such as sections of white noise being played back. The file being played back at this occurrence seems to be "tracer_loop_02_vUp_3.wav" and I'm guessing it happens when there is an out of memory error. If you switch between WOT and Windows (by pressing Ctrl + Esc) you might sometimes hear this loop being played back, indicating that a sound that was supposed to be played was temporarily replaced with the white noise loop.

I'm a former audio engineer, so feel free to ask about audio editing and related and I'll help out the best I can.

Happy modding!  :Smile_great:

Links to the software used (all of the software is free)

FSB Extract

FMOD Soundbank Generator (download FMOD Ex Programmers API)

MusicPlayerEX (link to MusicPlayerEx in the menu on the left)

Note: Sound samples are often copyrighted, so consider how or if you use them.
Please don't quote this entire post, so that the thread stays readable :-)

Note: For anyone trying to edit the ingame_voice.fsb, it seems that after the latest 0.6.2.7 patch the files can no longer be extracted without artifacts, neither with FSBextract of Musicplayer EX. (The other banks seems to work though).

BodhiWanKenobi #2 Posted Nov 16 2010 - 17:43

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Sound bank file order
Here is the correct order and naming of sounds in the banks, in order for them to play back correctly.
I will post more lists when I make more mods. Note that the lists might change with newer beta versions of WoT.

Updated for version 6.2.7 which has 8 new tracks added. Sound format also changed from ADPCM to MP3.

music.fsb

3_sec_silence - NEW
8_sec_silence - NEW
hangar_test_music_longer - NEW
Ambient_1_garaz
Defeat_crow
Intro_Himmelsdorf_01
Intro_Malinovka_01
Nazis_Theme_High
allied_victory
Battle 09
Battle 10_mix_16
Battle_12
Combat1_mix
Drums track Fast
WoT_Battle_01
WoT_Battle_02
WoT_Battle_03
WoT_Battle_04
WoT_Battle_05 - NEW
WoT_Battle_06 - NEW
WoT_Battle_08
WoT_Battle_13 - NEW
combat 3
silence_15sec
silence_1min
silence_20sec
silence_30sec
Intro_Himmelsdorf
Intro_Malinovka_01_1
WoT_Intro_07_city
WoT_Intro_08
WoT_Intro_08_city
WoT_intro_02
WoT_intro_04
WoT_intro_05
WoT_intro_09 - NEW
WoT_intro_10 - NEW
ambient_garaz2

BodhiWanKenobi #3 Posted Nov 16 2010 - 17:43

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Links to WOT user sound mods

GreyHounds Real Engine Sounds (includes a very nice weapons mod). Made pre 0.6.1.5 so it might miss some sounds
English page with the same sounds

Colditz SoundMod - Vehicle Overhaul

WilliamVale #4 Posted Nov 16 2010 - 18:41

Sergeant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
And now someone make some good engine sound files that sound like this please:

:)

Kameho #5 Posted Nov 16 2010 - 19:34

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
You know what would be hilarius? Replacing the motorsound with a person mimicing motorsounds. hahaha. replacing all sounds for that. i would rofl so hard.

BodhiWanKenobi #6 Posted Nov 16 2010 - 19:39

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostKameho, on Nov 16 2010 - 19:34, said:

You know what would be hilarius? Replacing the motorsound with a person mimicing motorsounds. hahaha. replacing all sounds for that. i would rofl so hard.

LOL, brilliant, that would be hilarious :lol:

heugan #7 Posted Nov 18 2010 - 22:34

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
please Pin mods :)

Webtroll #8 Posted Nov 19 2010 - 00:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I'd like to hear Sean Connery's terrible sub captain accent for the Russian tanks

Marseille #9 Posted Nov 23 2010 - 08:01

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Quick question for a nubsauce at modding: When making the final .fsb, do you need to have the same amount of sound bits in the modded version as the original? For instance, you have 10 songs in the music file (Just as an example - there's plenty more in the actual one). Does the modded file require 10 songs to work, or can it have more/less?

Thanks in advance, and sorry that I'm a total idiot when it comes to any modding other than skins and model swaps!  :D

BodhiWanKenobi #10 Posted Nov 23 2010 - 10:49

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMarseille, on Nov 23 2010 - 08:01, said:

Quick question for a nubsauce at modding: When making the final .fsb, do you need to have the same amount of sound bits in the modded version as the original? For instance, you have 10 songs in the music file (Just as an example - there's plenty more in the actual one). Does the modded file require 10 songs to work, or can it have more/less?

Thanks in advance, and sorry that I'm a total idiot when it comes to any modding other than skins and model swaps!  :D

Good question. Although I haven't tested it, I don't think the game engine checks for missing files as that would take too long. Also, since the entire audio content of WOT is only 142 MB it might be loading entire FSB's into RAM and not individual samples from the FSB's (if the latter is even possible by design). I'm only guessing here as I have no experience from creating games, only some audio software. If entire FSB's are loaded, there would be a slight memory advantage of not including files that are not actually used. I think I'll do some testing on this when I get around to modding again.

By the way, there are no "total idiots", we all start somewhere at one point and if there's any place to ask it's here :)

leofwine #11 Posted Nov 23 2010 - 10:54

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostKameho, on Nov 16 2010 - 19:34, said:

What I'd find even funnier would be swapping the engine sounds for ice cream van music  :lol:

BodhiWanKenobi #12 Posted Nov 23 2010 - 11:00

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
That was a good one too, leofwine :lol:
I foresee a lot of funny sound mods coming up, wink wink....

Marseille #13 Posted Nov 24 2010 - 05:07

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Alright, here's my hypothesis on what tanks use what weapon sound.

• All small-caliber weaponry (Tiers 1-3, maybe 4) use the file "wirbelwind_20mm_fire_01". I believe this one's a fact, as just about all guns in those tiers sound the same.
  • All other weaponry use the 75mm, Flak88, and Tiger88 sound files.
  • American tanks using an MG use the MG sound files. It's only natural, right? (Whoops, they don't. Why doesn't a .50 cal MG use these? <.<)
  • These do not apply to SPG's, though I'll have to hop back inside one to double check.

It's odd. Shouldn't there be a difference of sounds between medium-caliber and large-caliber weaponry (Large being 88mm[?]+)? It doesn't sound right for a T-34 medium to make the same thunder as a King Tiger. Maybe as the caliber gets bigger, the chance for a larger bang increases.

Dang, these are pretty high-quality, as far as I know! It's gonna be kinda hard replacing them with better sounds - without taking ones from reality, and those don't sound arcadey enough for this game.

BodhiWanKenobi #14 Posted Nov 24 2010 - 06:42

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMarseille, on Nov 24 2010 - 05:07, said:

Alright, here's my hypothesis on what tanks use what weapon sound.

• All small-caliber weaponry (Tiers 1-3, maybe 4) use the file "wirbelwind_20mm_fire_01". I believe this one's a fact, as just about all guns in those tiers sound the same.
  • All other weaponry use the 75mm, Flak88, and Tiger88 sound files.
  • American tanks using an MG use the MG sound files. It's only natural, right?
  • These do not apply to SPG's, though I'll have to hop back inside one to double check.

It's odd. Shouldn't there be a difference of sounds between medium-caliber and large-caliber weaponry (Large being 88mm[?]+)? It doesn't sound right for a T-34 medium to make the same thunder as a King Tiger. Maybe as the caliber gets bigger, the chance for a larger bang increases.

Dang, these are pretty high-quality, as far as I know! It's gonna be kinda hard replacing them with better sounds - without taking ones from reality, and those don't sound arcadey enough for this game.

Thanks for your notes Marseilles, I'm hoping to get some time soon to continue some work with a weapon sounds mod and will investigate further.
The MG sound is not used in the game as far as I know. A wild guess would be that they put it there in case they would test infantry or visible tank crew, as MG's don't do damage on tanks.

I humbly disagree on the quality of the weapon sounds :) It's a matter of opinion of course, but I think that apart from a few good ones, most of them are really poor compared to some of my other games, especially with the low sample rate they are using. The light tanks are the worst, a very unrealistic gun sound.
But like you say, replacing them with better ones might not be easy as good sounds are really hard to find.

Marseille #15 Posted Nov 25 2010 - 10:28

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Ah, yeah. I think I'm just talking on behalf of the 88mm clips! Those are the most memorable to me. It just seems like the devs were aiming for a more arcadic sound design, but since realism is all the rage nowadays...  :lol:

Anyway, I think I found a nice replacement for small-caliber weaponry (skip to the last 5 seconds of the video for the best examples):

Just imagining automatics sounding like this is beautiful! Though it may be too much of a bang. Come to think of it, it doesn't feel like a tank. Best to test it on the field, first!

And for other guns, I'm thinking of borrowing some sounds from Company of Heroes and Dawn of War. Plenty of gold there! Guns and engines alike. I'm going to compile a bunch of desirable sound clips and throw them into a .rar in the near future (likely tomorrow). And Christ, if only I could get this one to not sound so muffled:

(Not to mention finding ANY tank gun that'll work nicely with it...)

Oyah, and just for da lulz:

EDIT: Oh god, just opened up the CoH files. It's... a jackpot. Here are some of my favorites that I'm most likely gonna use:
http://www.mediafire...yg039bzjwl55ic3
EDIT 2: Alright, so I compiled everything into IMA ADPCM and tried it out. Now I have howitzers making the same sounds of an MG42, and whenever reloading is finished, I have a cannon going off. None of this is intentional. Would bit rates make a difference here? My modded sounds run at 177kbps, while the original sounds run at 198kbps. If that's the problem, how would you fix it? Hell, that last sentence probably didn't make any sense - maybe the script's just grabbing the wrong files to use...?

Now, what would be REALLY nice is for us to be able to determine which sound goes for each gun. That way, guns could use specific sound files of our choosing rather than sharing a ton with everything else...

Attached Files

BodhiWanKenobi #16 Posted Nov 26 2010 - 22:07

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The anti tank rifle sounds really good - so good that it might outshine the other tanks sounds, lol. The Company of Heroes sounds are very nice.
I would recommend checking out Bad Company 2. Although a contemporary title, the weapon and tank sounds are amazing.

Marseille #17 Posted Nov 27 2010 - 07:52

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Alright, so I fixed the problem. There's a specific order in which they must be. I extracted the .fsb from a different sound mod to find out exactly what that order was. It's working perfectly!

My problems lie within the sounds themselves, now! Some of them (mainly the CoH AT guns) don't fit, and almost all of them need to be amplified. They have the cool-sounding boom, and now I need to make the boom BIGGER!

To replace the AT gun sounds, I'm gonna follow your advice and check out the BC:2 files. Installing the game now, should have results tomorrow!

Colditz #18 Posted Nov 27 2010 - 17:52

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Thanks Bhodi for putting my little "Mod" in here :)  I had to format my computer to make some space and sadly, I lost everything in the progress. So I'm going to put it to rest for a while.  :Smile_harp:
I think it's "ok" as it is, nothing outstanding but in my honest oppinion, a little better than the normal sounds. I was planning on doing a Soundpack for the guns. They're way to silent and they need to Pack-a-punch. Sadly, all these sample pages on the web featuring Free sounds either have low quality sounds with a lot of distortion or do cost money in the end. So, off to rip a couple sounds.
( Take a look at Company of Heroes' Howitzer sounds, oh my gawd, they're amazing ) *hint hint*  :Smile-hiding:

Marseille #19 Posted Nov 27 2010 - 20:33

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Yeah. They all need beefing up, and I think I know what I need to do. *rubs hands together*
I've already gone through the howitzers, and in my opinion, the booms are a little TOO big. Like they come from stationary artillery rather than tanks. But, I guess the most important rule here is to TEST IT!

EDIT: Wait a sec. I'm going to assume you meant artillery in general. Right you are! Quite a few of these will need replacing.

Colditz #20 Posted Nov 27 2010 - 20:56

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Well, yeah :D but not only artillery. Not a huge SPG player ^__^''  though it would be nice to add a little mroe bang for your buck :>   Are you coming up with something ? I'd love to see a punchy pack coming from you if you have one in the makings  :Smile_honoring: