THE RUSSIAN BEAR WILL MAUL YOU -- The KV-5

REMOVE_ARTY_FROM_THE_GAME

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

Poll: THE RUSSIAN BEAR WILL MAUL YOU -- The KV-5 (263 members have cast votes)

Should WG bring back the KV-5?

1. YES!!!! I needs this thick-skinned hard-hitting credit printing monster! (144 votes [54.75%])

Percentage of vote: 54.75%

2. No! Only for me!! (119 votes [45.25%])

Percentage of vote: 45.25%

Vote Hide poll

Garbad #1 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30691 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
As many of you know, after I completed the KV-5 challenge, I decided to continue on. As of this week, I passed the 300 game mark and am now the #1 ranked KV-5 player on the server.

Posted Image

So here's a little guide on the mighty KV-5.

KV-5:  The Russian Bear

Posted Image
Photoshop credits to Jennbear.

ARMOR:

The KV-5 has very thick armor on all sides. Many tanks focus on proper angling and/or protecting flanks to maximize survivability, but with the KV-5, its more a matter of covering your weak points. The KV-5 essentially has three weak points -- the r2d2 turret (which can be difficult to hit and still can be bouncy), the commanders cupola (impossible to hit unless you have an elevation advantage), and the lower back near the engine (from the front or sides).

Since the KV-5 is well armored from any angle, it really doesn't matter if you get flanked most of the time. With appropriate angling/wiggling/hull down/etc, many tanks with 175 or less penetration will struggle to hurt you at all -- even on weak points! This means you can overwhelm many opponents with almost no risk. You should actively seek out opportunities to crush these lesser opponents to allow your team to zerg the hard hitters. Accordingly, I often lurk in areas I expect mediums to be (as pretty much no med can challenge the KV-5). The KV-5 is also heavily resistant to arty -- only the S-51 can realistically kill you in a short timeframe, and I've never seen an arty pen me. This means you can move more aggresively than many tanks.

All this combines to form a tank that can take a tremendous beating.

FIREPOWER:

The KV-5 uses the familiar 107mm cannon also found on many other RU tanks. Although a beastly weapon when its first found in tier 5, by tier 8 its penetration (167) is lacking severely. It also has a high aim time and poor accuracy. However, the KV-5 still has good alpha (300) and very high reload (mine reloads in 7.07 seconds), giving it impressive DPM.

Another often overlooked feature of the KV-5 is its height. Its both an asset...and a liability. The KV-5 is tall enough to fire down on many vehicles and hit weak points that may not be available to other tanks (such as the hatch on the T29). It can also fire over allies often, and sometimes peek over hills/hull down when other tanks can't. Use this. But be cautious about side scrapes. Sometimes tanks like the Type 59 can be very difficult to hit on your sides, and sometimes a face hug makes it difficult to hit a weak point.

MOBILITY:

The KV-5 is faster than most people believe. Although the tank is extremely heavy (100+ tons), it has a listed max speed of 40kph (observed up to 52) and a 1200 HP engine. Its very sluggish uphill, turning, or on bad soil yet it is surprisingly quick in good conditions. Its easily quick enough for short range flanks and peekabooming (similar in feel to an IS-3 downhill, lowe uphill). While mobility is certainly not the tank's strength, it can surprise a lot of people who expect KV-5s to be slow and passive. I've sprung out and gotten on the sides of many an unsuspecting TD.

And of course, its gargantuan weight and high speed makes it a ridiculously effective kamikazi on the rare situations when someone is so stupid as to let you get that massive ram. However, its bulk is an asset because you can physically push wrecks or tanks around with ease, throwing off their aim or physically moving them out of the way. Plus every little bump favors you.

GEAR AND SKILLS:

As you can see, I run the standard heavy combo of vert/rammer/vents. I considered GLD or spall liner, but HE is rarely used these days (since its nerfed to uselessness) and the GLD isn't quite as valuable as vents overall. Skills I run a standard blend of BIA, 6th + repair, and gunnery skills. The only unusual things are I use relaying/signal boosting due to the poor radio of the KV-5 and I run controlled impact because, well, I like to smash little tanks into pulp.

TACTICS:

- Never, ever try to sit back and snipe. Probably the worst possible way to play the KV5 is sitting in back sniping. You don't have the pen/accuracy/cammo, and your strengths (armor, agility, DPM) are wasted sitting back.

- Take the beating for your team. Often your lesser allies have superior firepower to you. Protect them, keep low HP allies alive, take hits for them to spot, get hostile attention, and let your pubs work. Even a pubby Jdgpanther can and will kill that T32 for you if you keep it busy.

- Use your DPM. The KV-5 has an equal or better blend of DPM/alpha to just about any opponent it faces. Often the best counter to heavily armored tanks is simply to take one hit, get on their sides, and DPM them out. Despite the hate, the KV-5 is more than a match for any of its peers in a 1v1. Use this.

- Brutalize lesser tanks. The KV-5 can kill many opponents with no risk to itself. By crushing these tanks, you free up the rest of your team to focus on hard targets. And as a note, do not denigrate the role of noob killer -- consider your rival, the AMX 50 100. Although the AMX is murderously dangerous to anything tier 8+, he does not want anything to do with a low tier tank. A low tier tank can penetrate the AMX easily, often has just as high dps, and often can take a full clip to kill. This means for all practical purposes, an AMX vs. say a T20 is just as deadly as a AMX vs. a patton -- yet if a t20 trades shots with a AMX the AMX's team loses strategically (because they are losing HP on a high tier tank in exchange for a low tier tank). By contrast, a KV-5 can safely bully a T20, basically immune to damage. This means the KV-5 can knock them out without personal risk and without having to reload a long clip, keeping him in the fight. This ability to eliminate scouts and lesser tanks without risk is a nice asset to a team.

- Lead assaults at every opportunity. Pubs are naturally passive cowards, but even a pubby (well, except the under 45% flavor, who will never contribute anything) will generally shoot and/or support a tank who leads a push. Use your toughness to be the first man in, and shatter teams.

How to defeat notable opponents:

With only 167 pen, the KV-5 struggles to defeat heavily armored opponents head on. Obviously, the best way to defeat these tanks is to flank, yet tactically sometimes you have to make do. Here are a few tips for defeating these tanks in a head on fight:

Type 59/T-54:
Turret cupolas are easy targets while face hugging, its light weight makes it vulnerable to rams or just throwing it around, and worst case, you can still often pen the main plate.

Super Pershing:
KV-5 is too innacurate to reliably hit the machine gun or sides of the turret, so the cupola is your only chance. Its much better to flank this one, as the SP is MUCH strong head on than from the sides.

T29/T34/T30/T32:
T32 is a surprisingly difficult fight, as its hull armor is essentially proof against the KV-5, plus its turret lacks any real weak points. T29/T30/T34 the KV-5 can sometimes pen the front plate, especially the MG. The KV-5 is also tall enough to easily hit the hatch on the turret in a face hug.

KT:
Another extremely difficult fight, the KT's lower plate is difficult to pen, nearly impossible with angling. Its MG is too hard to hit, leaving the hatch your only choice. Head on, VERY difficult fight, flanking is strongly advised.

Lowe:
Front armor can be penned, but you will bounce sometimes. Turret weak points are very hard to hit.

Tiger P:
Front armor is nearly impossible to pen, and weak points are too small to reliably hit. In a face hug, you can easily hit the turret cupola, or simply flank.

IS-3:
The front plate is pretty much impossible to pen, including the lower glacis. In a face hug, you can easily fire down on its hatches or flank, but do not engage an IS3 head on.

All tier 9 heavies and t8+ TDs are effectively immune to your fire from the front. Flank them!

Miscellaneous:

Here are my final stats:
Posted Image

Efficiency -- 2552.69
KDR -- 4.17
DPG -- 2294.92
Kiev Rating -- 10195
1.51 spots per game, 1050 average damage from spotting
Best ram ever -- 740 damage
10% of my games were ~2k+ experience

KV-5 Challenge:
http://forum.worldof...-kv5-challenge/

My KV-5 replay page:
http://mwreplays.com...t=kv-5&uid=1738

OOPMan #2 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:07

Major

• Players
  • 16844 battles
  • [LABS] LABS
******, I voted wrong in the poll. I voted Yes, meant to vote No since I already own the KV-5! My precious!

Profanity is not permitted on the forums.
Warning issued.
~Raizei

Misoski #3 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:10

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16798 battles
So proud of this investment  (>T__T)>

But with WG new gifting policy to others....Sigh, guess I have to go to them crappy stores to get a paysafecard if I ever still want to gift to other people... Or worse Western Union...
Don't feel like it though... and exchange rates from euro to dollar is worse than paypal and credit cards.

Garbad #4 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:10

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30691 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostMisoski, on Nov 05 2012 - 16:10, said:

So proud of this investment  (>T__T)>

But with WG new gifting policy to others....Sigh, guess I have to go to them crappy stores to get a paysafecard if I ever still want to gift to other people... Or worse Western Union...
Don't feel like it though... and exchange rates from euro to dollar is worse than paypal and credit cards.
What new policy?

MazingerZ #5 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:13

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 60699 battles
Wow!!! Good Job...

Come to my place tonight I got some Halloween candy for you!!!

OOPMan #6 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:14

Major

• Players
  • 16844 battles
  • [LABS] LABS

View PostGarbad, on Nov 05 2012 - 16:10, said:

What new policy?

Mis-post?

Misoski #7 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:14

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16798 battles
Not a mis-post :P Relevant =D

Gift shop. If you gift to anyone else but yourself I cannot use paypal or creditcard which I have been using for over a year...|
So if I want to gift to people, I have to go get a paysafecard or through western union....

But I hope they bring back KV-5 for sale on events or often.

CombatBoss #8 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:14

Captain

• Players
  • 24228 battles
Unfortunately, us peons can't amass the EXP to afford a tank commander like yours.

Misoski #9 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:17

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16798 battles
My KV5 crew is (became) the is7 (sometimes is-4 and T-62A) crew they got 4 skills/perks  (>O_o)
Just play more~!

Garbad #10 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:17

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30691 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostCombatBoss, on Nov 05 2012 - 16:14, said:

Unfortunately, us peons can't amass the EXP to afford a tank commander like yours.
It has no impact. I actually used a different (much worse) commander during the first ~150 games, but then stripped that crew and started using my IS-7's crew. My old KV-5 crew is now in my Obj 268.

Rudy__102_ #11 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26468 battles
Geez, you are good. Your advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Spanisharmada #12 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:31

Major

• Players
  • 13866 battles
  • [MEX] MEX
one thing I would like to add.

On the type 59 the upper glacis is surprisingly soft, and I have penned many times there, once with my crusader!

for skills I would suggest Controlled Impact

Spanisharmada #13 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:32

Major

• Players
  • 13866 battles
  • [MEX] MEX
and I have a better crew than you, my Gunner is Serzhant KOlabanov :P

Count_Chocula #14 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38 battles
Were these battles all in TCs?

viglundr #15 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:38

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 39170 battles
  • [T-D] T-D
Nip100 has very impressive stats in that tank

Proxus #16 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13740 battles
  • [PONY] PONY
how often do you actually use those 12 HE?

Lumina #17 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:43

Major

• Players
  • 8202 battles
People are too stupid when fighting a KV-5 it should stay gone.   Some people have as much trouble vs a KV-5 as they do a KV-4 wich is sad, because i find both of them an annoyence more than a major threat when I'm in a tier 7 or 8 heavy tank.  Then again I use German Heavies, which have accurate guns, which in turn allows me to shoot weak spots accurately, which equals what armor?

PS... KV-4s and 5's don't face hug my Tigers, I know where to shoot you even still, KV-5 has more than one easy to pen spot on it's turret, KV-4 has god awfully large cupala, darn KV'4s learn quick that my Tiger H is a big threat, when a Lowe keeps bouncing him, but my Tiger H doesn't keep bouncing him.... KV-4 banzai charges my Tiger tries to face hug... stupid move as I still keep hurting him each shot.  xD

Yankee #18 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 39800 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostCount_Chocula, on Nov 05 2012 - 16:34, said:

Were these battles all in TCs?

In fact, none of them were, iirc

AzureTerra #19 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:46

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15324 battles

View PostGarbad, on Nov 05 2012 - 16:02, said:

- Take the beating for your team. Often your lesser allies have superior firepower to you. Protect them, keep low HP allies alive, take hits for them to spot, get hostile attention, and let your pubs work. Even a pubby Jdgpanther can and will kill that T32 for you if you keep it busy.

- Lead assaults at every opportunity. Pubs are naturally passive cowards, but even a pubby (well, except the under 45% flavor, who will never contribute anything) will generally shoot and/or support a tank who leads a push. Use your toughness to be the first man in, and shatter teams.

Its a Fine thought when it works - Most of the time i find that the rest of the team will happily watch me be reduced to scrap and then come out of hiding once all guns are free to shoot them again (and i get called stupid for rushing out and occupying them... while they cower instead of using the distraction to full advantage)

Edited by AzureTerra, Nov 05 2012 - 16:54.

jdlalonde #20 Posted Nov 05 2012 - 16:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28408 battles
Most KV-5s I see arent that much of a threat. They are a priority target, the commanders cupola comes into view when hull down, and the cupolas on the front are easy to target. Plus most of them are played by people who should be playing tier 3-4.

Also tagged with REMOVE_ARTY_FROM_THE_GAME

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users