Official Q&A Thread 8.1 Era

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
266 replies to this topic

Gaea #1 Posted Nov 06 2012 - 22:34

User Experience Researcher

• Administrator
  • 1450 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX
In this thread you can ask members of the development team about WoT things you are interested in. Please read the following before participating:

This thread is being regularly cleaned up so that only players' questions and developers' answers remain.

WARNING: This thread is strictly moderated.

Before posting a question, please search the Q+A thread and other news sources for the information you are seeking.

Moderation rules for this topic:

1) Any kind of spam, flooding, off-topic, posting "+1” or similar comments = 3 days of read-only ban

2) If someone makes an inappropriate post and you reply to it, both of you will receive 3 days of read-only ban. Do not reply to posts violating the rules!

3) If an insult was made and you reply, both of you will receive 3 days of read-only ban. Please remember the insulting person will be sanctioned, no need to retaliate!

4) This is not a suggestions thread. Any suggestion on gameplay improvement = 3 days of read-only ban.

5) Asking a question that was already answered = 1 days of read-only ban. Please check the thread before posting.

6) Any non-constructive discussion of developer's answer = 3 days of read-only ban.

7) Any comment on player's question other than a clear answer = 3 days of read-only ban.

8) Any question about hidden stealth- nerfs or buffs = 3 days of read-only ban.
• All gameplay changes are being made during patches. If there was no patch - there was no change.

9) Attempting to ask the same question, even if it was not answered = 3 days of read-only ban. You can ask your question again if it was removed during thread clean-up, but still was not answered.

10) Before posting a question, please search the Q+A thread and other news sources.

11) Any questions in regards to balance, nerfs or buffs will not be answered.
• Every vehicle is routinely assessed for balance, fairness, and gameplay. Our vehicle stats are living, changing, evolving figures that are maintained based on the feedback and numbers generated by the tank being used in real games. A tank can be OP or UP for a while but over time tanks and groups of tanks are looked at and balanced.

12) Any questions in regards to historic accuracy verses in-game will not be answered.
• At the end of the day the goal of the game is to be fun. History was used as a starting point of game balance but not an end point. Gameplay balance and making every nation feel different in some ways that others is of higher concern.

These rules are in effect as of 11/15/12

By posting in this thread you accept and agree with current moderation rules.

Past Q&A threads can be found in the Q&A Archive section.

Edited by Mugsy_, Nov 16 2012 - 01:28.

MesoTroniK #2 Posted Nov 06 2012 - 23:23

Support Volunteer

• Wiki Staff
  • 26728 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Are there plans to release the WZ-111 in the gift shop? Or if that is not possible for whatever reason perhaps another Chinese premium heavy, like IS-2M?

Any estimates on when the E25 premium tank destroyer will be released?

Currently when a vehicle is destroyed it reverts to the nation specific color with the wrecked 3D model. But any camouflage you have applied disappears, for increased visual immersion there should be a blackened / burnt looking version that remains instead of reverting to the mangled default color.

Are there plans to make the suspensions system move more convincingly with independent road wheel movement? And if and when this occurs will it be aesthetic only, or will it improve vehicle handling and stability on rough terrain like it should?

majsteven #3 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 01:36

Captain

• Players
  • 17526 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
Ok um I have lot of question if you don't mind to answer.
Let start with question number:

(1) Is it true that German is getting new medium tank line leopard 1, American tech tree new medium with auto loader, and other tech tree as well?

(2) also are we getting the new Chinese tech tree (I'm excited) If we are, is it going to include some lend lease tank from u.s.s.r? (i like pure Chinese tanks…)

(3) are there any plan for T54? (the gun pen isn't really that good that include DT-54 top gun) plus on top of that high shell cost, repair bill and lose hp quickly.

(4) Are we going to get 2 line of soviet medium up to tier 10 instead of tier 8. There a picture of the full tech tree on the Wikipedia.

(5) Are you guy going to introduce auto loader to U.S.S.R. Tanks? If yes, is the auto loader going to function different from the French tank?

(6) if i remember you guy mention earlier on you are going to introduce more variety of equipment like react armor..etc?

-Thanks
Majsteven

majsteven #4 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 01:39

Captain

• Players
  • 17526 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
Also in 8.1 like you guy promise we are missing the xp stats on tech tree like how many more xp we need to unlock.

(2) are there going to be change in stats like WR/LR?

(3) in the future is it possible to add in how many Credits/silver we need to unlock/buy?

(4) and from earlier from one of my question It similar related. Is it possible to change the limit on equipment like we can purchase all equipment and install it on one tank if we have enough credits to purchase it or at lease extend the slot on equipment?

-Once again Thanks
Majsteven

M3A1usscout #5 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 01:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9032 battles
1. Any idea when we can expect the Britsh TDs and Arty?
2. Will there be any dark maps (dark enough to warrent Lights but light enough to see the game)?
3. How far away is the Multi-Gun system being added?
4. When will the USA Christie Tanks join the battlefield?
5. Will the Sherman Firefly be added to the British line (as either a normal tank or a premium)?
6. When the new American tanks are added in will I have to grind through the M7 MT for the next tank (even if I have it at elite status) or will it already be researched when it's added in?

Sorry for all the questions. So far 8.1 is Awsome really enjoying the Brits (been playing them as often as possible).

Edited by M3A1usscout, Nov 12 2012 - 02:47.

lysdexic #6 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 03:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 1704 battles
Why is there less and less connection during gameplay between the location where a tank is hit and which system takes Crit damage from that hit?  Just had an M4 shoot my Panther repeatedly square on the front of the tank and every shot did damage to the engine in the back of the tank.  This is not new, but just the latest in a long string of Crits doing damage to systems far away from the area of the tank that actually got hit.  I have had a tank take hits on the rear drive wheel that did Crit damage to the gun and hits to the rear of tanks that killed the driver.  Shots to the turret knock off tracks (really, any hit anywhere for even no damage seems to knock a track off these days).  Hits to the tracks kill the commander.  It seems like the game is rolling to see if a hit is a Crit and then just randomly rolling a result from a list of all the systems and personel in the tank.

Legiondude #7 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 04:25

Major

• Players
  • 13652 battles
  • [ELVIS] ELVIS

View PostM3A1usscout, on Nov 07 2012 - 01:46, said:

5. Will the Sherman Firefly be added to the British line (as either a normal tank or a premium)?

Sorry for all the questions. So far 8.1 is Awsome really enjoying the Brits (been playing them as often as possible).
Checking the British Medium section may help you in this search

View Postlysdexic, on Nov 07 2012 - 03:36, said:

Why is there less and less connection during gameplay between the location where a tank is hit and which system takes Crit damage from that hit?  Just had an M4 shoot my Panther repeatedly square on the front of the tank and every shot did damage to the engine in the back of the tank.  This is not new, but just the latest in a long string of Crits doing damage to systems far away from the area of the tank that actually got hit.  I have had a tank take hits on the rear drive wheel that did Crit damage to the gun and hits to the rear of tanks that killed the driver.  Shots to the turret knock off tracks (really, any hit anywhere for even no damage seems to knock a track off these days).  Hits to the tracks kill the commander.  It seems like the game is rolling to see if a hit is a Crit and then just randomly rolling a result from a list of all the systems and personel in the tank.
He's hitting your lower glacis plate which pens the transmission, which has it's hitbox tied to the engine hitbox so a broken transmission = broken engine. People have been lobbying for months to get this broken into two hitboxes, but no changes yet

Duty_Veteran #8 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 05:00

Private

• Players
  • 4179 battles
Hello,

I had a question about shell penetration regarding your recent video. At one point in the video, the speaker mentions that the further the shell travels, the less penetration it will have. I'm hoping to convince one of you that this is incorrect.

The further the shell travels, the more momentum it receives from gravity, a constant force acting upon the shell. As we all know, shells don't travel in a perfect line- they arc down as the acceleration of gravity (9.8m/s^2) pulls on them. When gravity pulls on them, it increases their velocity in the y (vertical) direction, and therefore increases their total velocity (combining the x and y components of the shell velocity). This makes shells more deadly as they travel further, as they are traveling faster.

To give an example: some of you may have heard of the man who claimed he could survive a cannon ball to the gut. Video is here:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gpCD396Zkag
This man was able to survive because he stood so close to the cannon. We all know that cannon balls can be fatal, and in many wars have simply ripped through columns of men. But, take away the constant acceleration due to gravity, and the cannon ball is simply an object launched using an initial explosion from gunpowder. This same principle can be applied to tank shells. The further the shell travels, the more deadly.

I hope this has convinced some of you to look at the game equations a little differently.
Thanks for reading!

Agentop #9 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 08:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 5585 battles

View PostDuty_Veteran, on Nov 07 2012 - 05:00, said:

Hello,

I had a question about shell penetration regarding your recent video. At one point in the video, the speaker mentions that the further the shell travels, the less penetration it will have. I'm hoping to convince one of you that this is incorrect.

The further the shell travels, the more momentum it receives from gravity, a constant force acting upon the shell. As we all know, shells don't travel in a perfect line- they arc down as the acceleration of gravity (9.8m/s^2) pulls on them. When gravity pulls on them, it increases their velocity in the y (vertical) direction, and therefore increases their total velocity (combining the x and y components of the shell velocity). This makes shells more deadly as they travel further, as they are traveling faster.

To give an example: some of you may have heard of the man who claimed he could survive a cannon ball to the gut. Video is here:
This man was able to survive because he stood so close to the cannon. We all know that cannon balls can be fatal, and in many wars have simply ripped through columns of men. But, take away the constant acceleration due to gravity, and the cannon ball is simply an object launched using an initial explosion from gunpowder. This same principle can be applied to tank shells. The further the shell travels, the more deadly.

I hope this has convinced some of you to look at the game equations a little differently.
Thanks for reading!
Trolling 101
Yes, objects moving forwards will eventually start to be pulled down by gravity. Yes, these objects now have a "downwards velocity." But this downwards velocity comes at the cost of the object's forwards velocity. It still has the same momentum, but it's forward velocity has been reduced. HOWEVER. Air resistance also plays a role, slowing down the projectile as it travels. SO: A projectile travelling over a distance will not only be slowed down by air friction, but will have less forward velocity and therefore less pen.

Vollketten #10 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 15:19

Major

• Players
  • 24758 battles
  • [SSGS] SSGS
Hi,
I've asked this first one since before 7.5 and got no response so I will continue (because I'm a stubborn fecker)
a) The Panzer 2 has weak armour (30mm instead of 35mm front turret and hull) as it did in real life. The Panzer 2 is not seen much and there is more than one reason, since the introduction of the French with ridiculous armour for their tiers and things like the Tetrarach with their long range hard punching gun or the British tanks with their even better rate of fire with low power rounds the Panzer 2 has become a pale shadow of a little tank. Despite having a good rate of fire that cannon just has no range. Those rounds vanish in mid air before reaching a target even though I can easily see them large and highlighted in red on my own without using another vehicles radio. Now I know it isn't a simulator but seriously guys rounds do not vanish in mid air. At least let them go a bit farther even if the pen is reduced significantly it would be a huge difference on lots of maps. So.... please can you either bring the armour to what it should be, increase he range of the cannon and/or do something else to make this fun little tank a bit more competetive.
b) Secondly the search function is not working and neither is the content function so I cant find any old threads with this question previously but can you tell me if there are plans to introduce the Churchill NA-75 as either a premium or as a turret option for the Churchill? there was a post back in October 2011 on this topic but it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.(http://forum.worldof...churchill-na75/)
http://northirishhor...5/Churchill.jpg
They did make about 200 of them so its not like its a paper panzer or anything.
and finally.....(stubborn and persistent/annoying)
c) For some reason the Matilda has had its armour values slaughtered on both British versions but not on the Russian version. the correct side armour under those armoured side skirts in 70mm hull sides and it has this value on the Soviet premium but not on the British premium Black Prince Matilda or on the standard Matilda which has both been nerfed with 55mm of side armour. Given that their appalingly slow speed (mold grows faster) is due to the weight of their armour it seems unfair to give it historic speed and nerfed armour.

The speed of the Matilda is shockingly bad, the penetration of the best gun is woeful, only the rate of fire is the saving point but more importantly, for a tank with historically incredibly hard to defeat armour the game Matilda seems to be lacking significantly.

Matilda: Historical values:
Turret..........Front........................................Sides.......................................Rear
...................75mm at 10degrees.........75mm at 21 degrees.........75mm at 0 degrees
Hull..............75mm......................................70mm....................................55mm
....................................(and spaced armour armoured side skirts 25mm thick)

Matilda: Game values: http://worldoftanks....k/gb07_matilda/
Turret...........Front.........................................Sides......................................Rear
...................75mm at 10degrees.........75mm at 21 degrees.........75mm at 0 degrees
Hull.............75mm...................................55mm........................................55mm
....................................(and spaced armour armoured side skirts 25mm thick)

Premium Matilda in game values: http://worldoftanks..../matilda_ii_ll/
Turret..........Front........................................Sides.......................................Rear
Hull..............75mm......................................70mm....................................55mm

Premium Matilda Black Prince in game values: http://worldoftanks....a_black_prince/
Turret..........Front........................................Sides.......................................Rear (Its a different turet though)
...................76mm.........................................54mm......................................51mm
Hull..............75mm.........................................55mm....................................55mm

Now the premium Matilda as a lend-lease vehicle has hull 75/70/55 and turret 75/75/75. Sure premiums are meant to be a bit better than the stock but the premium is also a better earner, faster and has a much better gun already so it is already a significant improvement over the British Matilda.

My question is WHY have they destroyed the one redeeming feature of the real tank by reducing its real side armour so badly taking it from 70mm covered witih an armoured skirt to a measly 55mm?

FYI: the same armour nerf is on the Matilda Black Prince as well which is a British premium. So How come the Soviet premium tank gets an increase in hull armour over the two British versions of the tank?

There are a couple of similar threads to this effect and this bug with the side armour: http://forum.worldof...da-side-armour/

Is this deliberate to nerf the best part of these two Matilda and BP British tanks?

(editted from a post at http://forum.worldof...matilda-armour/)

Edit 2: I moved all of my Matilda Black Prince Armour and incorrect model writing to:
http://forum.worldof...20#entry3139591

Edited by Vollketten, Nov 29 2012 - 19:10.

ntp_ntp #11 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 15:35

Captain

• Players
  • 9692 battles
  • [SMELL] SMELL

View PostDuty_Veteran, on Nov 07 2012 - 05:00, said:

Hello,

Thanks for reading!

^None of that is a Question. You have Succeeded at Failing.
Go to the First page and Read the OP.
Then please come back and edit your post in the form of a Question so that we all may learn something by the OP's response to that Question, not a rant about physics and calling him out here in his post, for non-informational purposes.

ntp_ntp #12 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 19:14

Captain

• Players
  • 9692 battles
  • [SMELL] SMELL

View Posttrackwalk240sx, on Nov 07 2012 - 18:38, said:

why cant I make my brit tanks elite?!

You do not have all the mods researched?
Best Guess

cajunhustler #13 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 19:45

Private

• Players
  • 23013 battles
  • [DEMI] DEMI
hello there i have a huge problem as do many others i know of getting disconnected in the start of a battle and it takes the game along time to find out i have been dc or my friends and no its not my net speed it happens all the time when there is alot of players online is there a way to fix this or maybe more servers to solve this problem cause a dc player cant fight to help his team or get there rating up thank you for your time

junglejim73 #14 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 20:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35160 battles
  • [77ARC] 77ARC
all who use the nvideo 530 card
first and most important.
go to nvideo web site and d/l the latest drivers.
should be 306. something .

i think i have found a few things to help us with low fps.
#1 right click on your desktop.
then open task manager.
click on all processes.
now click on affinity .
click on all processes .
scroll down to wot .
double click on it.
unclick the zero cpu .
then right  click the
set priority. set to high or more than normal.

next go into your nvideo program.
now open your nvideo control panel .
open the manage 3 d settings .
scroll to cuda gpu. left click that..
  use cuda gpu's.left click on the use these .
after that click on the use
geforce gt. 530
click ok . see what your fps is now .
mine are averaging around 30 to 40  
and that is with the improved rendering . and several settings set to high.

KariLP #15 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 20:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5810 battles
Whats WG's official stance on Gold Rounds? Are they happy with the way they are currently implemented in 8.1? What about the repercussions from Heavy Armor lines being much less effective?

KGBMan #16 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 21:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 10248 battles

View PostGEORDIEmacrae1_, on Nov 07 2012 - 20:03, said:

I was in a battle recently and one of my opponents had a small red reticule tucked behind his tank icon.  What does that mean?

means if you kill it - you get gold.

Suichimo #17 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 22:11

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6515 battles
  • [ADD] ADD
One thing that is always a point of frustration among the player base is the RNG.  Whether its a shell bouncing off of something it likely shouldn't have or leaving an enemy with a few hp left because of a low damage roll.  So I was wondering how your RNG worked.  To me, with the amount of hits that are widely to one side of the spectrum or another, it feels like you are using a 1 RN system(i.e. you get one roll and that is the number that is applied).  Is this true?  If it is true, have you thought about using multiple RNs to help bring damage and penetration rolls closer to their average?

Duty_Veteran #18 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 22:50

Private

• Players
  • 4179 battles

View PostAgentop, on Nov 07 2012 - 08:56, said:

Trolling 101
Yes, objects moving forwards will eventually start to be pulled down by gravity. Yes, these objects now have a "downwards velocity." But this downwards velocity comes at the cost of the object's forwards velocity. It still has the same momentum, but it's forward velocity has been reduced. HOWEVER. Air resistance also plays a role, slowing down the projectile as it travels. SO: A projectile travelling over a distance will not only be slowed down by air friction, but will have less forward velocity and therefore less pen.
No, it won't reduce it's forward velocity. If it will, please tell me the forces that will reduce this velocity? There is nothing acting upon the object in the X direction, only the Y direction.

And air resistance is negligible, as we don't have anything resembling wind in WoT.

Also, please don't accuse me of trolling without backing up your points. I gave a full explanation of the forces acting upon shells, you just said "But this downwards velocity comes at the cost of the object's forwards velocity" without giving the slightest hint of why.

EDIT: Just realized you said forward velocity rather than giving any direction, please wait until you're out of middle school to argue physics.

Edited by Duty_Veteran, Nov 07 2012 - 22:56.

Duty_Veteran #19 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 23:02

Private

• Players
  • 4179 battles

View Postntp_ntp, on Nov 07 2012 - 15:35, said:

^None of that is a Question. You have Succeeded at Failing.
Go to the First page and Read the OP.
Then please come back and edit your post in the form of a Question so that we all may learn something by the OP's response to that Question, not a rant about physics and calling him out here in his post, for non-informational purposes.
The purpose of that post was to shed light on the issue of penetration. There's really no other place something like this fits, not even under the discussion of mechanics. Arguing about/questioning some of the mechanics, in my book, a "discussion".

trackwalk240sx #20 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 23:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 10092 battles
  • [G0A] G0A

View Postntp_ntp, on Nov 07 2012 - 19:14, said:

You do not have all the mods researched?
Best Guess
I do have em all and went back to even make sure i wasnt seeing things...I wrote the developers to find out if that is supposed to happen. it's crazy all of my tanks got elite status after my last module for some reason the brits arent working? I'm gonna wait and see what the developers have to say next. thanks bro