World of Tanks eSports Ranking System

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
170 replies to this topic

lord_farquad #1 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 02:22

Private

• Players
  • 15344 battles
As per player feedback, we've decided to try delving into a bit more detail, and creating a very basic ELO system for testing during tournaments.

Note that all teams would start at 1200 in rating. Due to the current nature in which this system would be carried out, we would be forced to have stringent requirements on who could be rated. Thus the following requirements would be necessary (this is not optional during the test phase as we have to manually calculate rating changes):
  • Team names are registered to team captains (in order to be rated for an event, the team must use the registered name)

• Teams must have participated in at least 5 events before applying to register (applications must include links to the events)

• Unrated teams would be considered at 1200 when playing against rated teams (this means, once you're rated, all your battles are rated).

• Rated teams are required to put their current rating in brackets next to their names, if they wish apply the present tournament to their results. This must be completed prior to registration closing.
These requirements would be temporary if the system is successful, as we would ultimately like to create an automated system to track the results for all teams.

Some details on what this system allows:
  • Different weights for events, so Challenges are more important than Skirmishes, etc.

• Low, or newly rated teams can massively increase their rating by winning even a single battle against higher rated teams.

• Higher rated teams can lose rating if a battle (not just a round) is lost to a low rated team.
Registration Rules and Regulations:
  • Team captains must register their team in order to be rated. Registering team captains must meet the following requirements:< >Have participated in at least 5 eSports related events (Tank Companies &amp; Clan Wars do not count)Have been a team captain in those 5 eSports events. All newly registered teams will receive an initial rating of 1200

• When a registered team competes against an unregistered team, the unrated team will be assumed at 1200

• Captains who register a team name,must use that team name during any subsequent eSports events if they wish to earn a rating for that event (unregistered team names will not be tracked, regardless of the team captain).

• Team captains may not register more than one team name.

• Team ratings will be publicly listed at the beginning of each week.

• Registered teams are required to include their current rating in brackets after their team name, in order to be rated for the current tournament. Example: Team Wargaming [1492]

• Registered teams that fail to include their team rating along with the team name will not be rated for the current tournament.

• Rated teams involved in the following: unsportsmanlike conduct (such as excessive use of foul language, insults, etc.), griefing, racism, profanity, rude acts, vulgar acts, acts of belligerence, and disrespect of an official, streamer or caster, abuse of in-game bugs or exploits, violation of general tournament regulations and/or violation of tournament specific regulations, may be subject to penalties including, but not limited to, the following:
    • Immediate disqualification

• Permanent team disqualification

• Offending member(s) permanent tournament ban

• Rating adjustments

• Forum bans

• Game bans
Additional Scoring Rules
  • ELO scores are only processed after a tournament concludes. Tournaments remaining in progress do not factor into scores. The World of Tanks Classic is the only exception to this rule as it is processed weekly.
  • Opponent scores are based on the opponent's score when they entered the tournament. It does not reflect the opponent's current score based on other tournaments that have since concluded.
  • When processing your team's score for the recent week, the score calculated against is based on the most current score. Note that this score can vary from the score entering the tournament.
  • Tournament scores are processed according to when a tournament concludes. This means that priority is given to the tournament that concludes first. That score carries to the tournament that concludes next.
  • Teams battling a ranked team, that has chosen not to be rated, will have the opponent's rank apply to their resulting score.
  • Team captains will receive an email with a detailed report of their team's point fluctuation throughout the last week. This breaks down how the current score was reached.

Current Scoring Formula:

Spoiler                     

Rankings and ELO scores as of May 1st, 2013
Spoiler                     

Edited by Captain_Judo, May 08 2013 - 20:59.

Hitty40 #2 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 03:02

Captain

• Players
  • 10931 battles
  • [WAL] WAL
Hmm, interesting.

hugomaximus #3 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 04:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17707 battles

Desdichado #4 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 05:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21984 battles
Proper rating system is proper.  I don't care to participate in team events anymore but it's nice to see this moving in the right direction.

Sov13t #5 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 15:21

Corporal

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 12107 battles
Would be cool if the future holds something along the lines of: a tank company (7v7 42pt) with the ability for the team to tick the checkbox whether they want to play ranked or unranked and off they go into the queue...

ohsi #6 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 16:11

Major

• Players
  • 23516 battles
  • [LINCN] LINCN
Awesome! this is a step forward, in order to improve gameplay experience.

Too bad I don't have 10 events in my roster... anyway, thanks!

Conflict #7 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 17:15

Captain

• 12243 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostSov13t, on Nov 07 2012 - 15:21, said:

Would be cool if the future holds something along the lines of: a tank company (7v7 42pt) with the ability for the team to tick the checkbox whether they want to play ranked or unranked and off they go into the queue...

This I like.

World in Conflict had a similar clan match system, worked very well. I suggest wargaming look at World in Conflict's system and try to emulate.

PlatedMegaFTW #8 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 18:37

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 21774 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
If you do emulate world in conflict rating, if you could somehow implement napalm, fuel air bombs, and nukes ill be your bestest friend farquad!   ;)

lord_farquad #9 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 18:47

Private

• Players
  • 15344 battles

View PostPlatedMegaFTW, on Nov 07 2012 - 18:37, said:

If you do emulate world in conflict rating, if you could somehow implement napalm, fuel air bombs, and nukes ill be your bestest friend farquad!   ;)

Unfortunately I was nerfed in the last update... no more nukes  :Smile-tongue:

Conflict #10 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 19:39

Captain

• 12243 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostPlatedMegaFTW, on Nov 07 2012 - 18:37, said:

Goddamnit I miss that game.

So yeah when does this rating system start?

Edited by Conflict, Nov 07 2012 - 19:39.

lord_farquad #11 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 19:49

Private

• Players
  • 15344 battles

View PostConflict, on Nov 07 2012 - 19:39, said:

Goddamnit I miss that game.

So yeah when does this rating system start?

I'm writing it up right now, we may open registration soon. It would be helpful to get some more feedback.

Conflict #12 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 19:56

Captain

• 12243 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Probably get the best feedback from implementation as I really don't think we can adequately give much more input.

Nitpicking here a bit maybe but having a ranking like 1st, 2nd, 3rd vs 1205th might be nice. Or if you have say 1560 as a ranking and its higher than anyone else, you're displayed as 1st.

Edited by Conflict, Nov 07 2012 - 19:59.

Unker #13 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 20:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4789 battles
Very good example.  It shows how even in a seeded tournament, a new or weaker team, while they may have a poor chance of beating a top team to advance in a tournament, can still improve their ranking with a good performance and will give them better seeding in the future.  It also shows that the top teams cannot slack just because they have an easy 1st round match, because it is very possible to win a tournament and still go down in ranking if you let a weak team make it close.

JDF #14 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 20:10

Captain

• Players
  • 18965 battles
  • [2BAD] 2BAD
Maybe I am overlooking something, but it seems weird that a win for team A (and a loss for team B) results in the same amount of points a team wins or loses. I think, with the given rating, team A should win more points than team B loses (of B loses more than A wins, whatever you want). Like in a chessgame where higher rated players lose more points in a loss against players with lower ratings, than against players with more or less the same rating (and the winning player gets more points than a win against a more equel rated player).

It is a fact that team A has a more difficult job to do (win of a much higher rated team) than team B.

Unker #15 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 20:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4789 battles

View PostJDF, on Nov 07 2012 - 20:10, said:

Maybe I am overlooking something, but it seems weird that a win for team A (and a loss for team B) results in the same amount of points a team wins or loses. I think, with the given rating, team A should win more points than team B loses (of B loses more than A wins, whatever you want). Like in a chessgame where higher rated players lose more points in a loss against players with lower ratings, than against players with more or less the same rating (and the winning player gets more points than a win against a more equel rated player).

It is a fact that team A has a more difficult job to do (win of a much higher rated team) than team B.

Its the points on the line that change.... in the example of a skirmish, the weak team beat the good team.  Team A gains 7 points, and team B loses 7 point.  If team B wins, they would gain 3 points and team A would lose 3 points.  The better team will get 3 points if they win, but will lose 7 points by losing.  If they were the same rank, the winner would get 5 points and the loser would lose 5 points.

This is the same as in chess.  The gain/loss is the same for each team, but how much it is can be affected by how different the rankings are.

lord_farquad #16 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 21:14

Private

• Players
  • 15344 battles

View PostUnker, on Nov 07 2012 - 20:20, said:

Its the points on the line that change.... in the example of a skirmish, the weak team beat the good team.  Team A gains 7 points, and team B loses 7 point.  If team B wins, they would gain 3 points and team A would lose 3 points.  The better team will get 3 points if they win, but will lose 7 points by losing.  If they were the same rank, the winner would get 5 points and the loser would lose 5 points.

This is the same as in chess.  The gain/loss is the same for each team, but how much it is can be affected by how different the rankings are.

Thank you Unker, you are correct. This is directly based off of a FIDE type rating system, with some slight adjustments.

JDF #17 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 23:15

Captain

• Players
  • 18965 battles
  • [2BAD] 2BAD
@Unker: Ah, I see. Thanks for your explanation.

CarverVX9 #18 Posted Nov 18 2012 - 19:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 4996 battles
  • [-VX9-] -VX9-
Would we be able to have more members on a roster? and be able to bring in/ remove players before tournaments? I think it would be hard for the newer teams to set an exact roster and have those people available for every tournament. For example; TWL lets you have many players on your roster. Whoever is available for that next match plays. I know this would be hard to rank the team without some kind of individual player rankings though.

Unker #19 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 19:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4789 battles
After following the Veteran's challenge a lot of the feedback, I have some suggestions as to how this can be implemented (once automated) that could help in a lot of the areas of the game.

1.  Tag the rating to the player number of the captain.  That way for tournaments, you can register a team under any name and the rating will follow as long as the captain is the same.  You also would not need to register a team for consideration in the ranking system.  If you register for a tournament as the captain, you get your starting rating of 1200 and the rest is automatic.

2.  I'm not sure if there is an official format for the highest level of play, but once that is established, make that format available through tank companies.  Make all TC matched in that format be rated based on the captain of the TC.  They can be a low value, such as 5 points if skirmish tourneys are 10, but they should count.  If you held a Veteran's challenge type tournament once every three months, the amount of people playing that format in tank companies would be far far greater than anything we see now.  Captains can practice for the tournament against random teams to try strategies while earning xp and credits (which you can't get in training battle now).  Lots of players that might not normally enter tournaments could try the format to see how they like it.  (I personally would play it so that if I ever have time to actually enter a tournament, I would be familiar with it).

3.  The combination of the two would allow you to seed the round robin portion of the tournaments.  Top rated teams 1-32 would get the #1 seed in groups 1-32, Teams 33-64 would go backwards into 32-1 and so forth.

OIS #20 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 19:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23765 battles
I just participated in my first Challenge. I will start doing the skirmishes too, so 9 more to go before I can make my own team, which is my goal. Sounds like fun!
Thanks for working on this.....and yes I also immediately recognized the Chess ranking system that say Chess.com uses to such good effect.