The Cromwell is one tough little Bugger!

Cromwell Ace Tanker Medium British

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

superfluidity #1 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 17:26

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12417 battles
First and Foremost,

It has been a very long time since I have played tanks... I have recently built my first computer... and my eyes have been opened to a huge assortment of games.  It has been a few months... but it feels longer.  As long as I have been away from the game, I have been away from the forums for that much longer, I missed you guys and I am glad to be back!  For prospective; I have not played since the beginning of patch 8.0, so physics is still new to me.

Considering how cold my tanking abilities must be, the Cromwell has been an absolute pleasure. In fact I have never enjoyed an opening win ratio as much as the Cromwell's.  Within the first Ten battles, I had a 90% win rate, and half of those battles, I survived.  Considering the first five battles the tank was stock... speaks volumes.

http://dl.dropbox.co...iring small.jpg
The Cromwell is quite capable of reaching out and touching tanks at range.

This tier 6 has it all;  it's quick, it turns on a dime, it has great cruising speed, plus the gun has excellent range and accuracy, all of which make it good at pretty much everything.  It flanks, it brawls, it snipes, it flies.(well... maybe not that last one...)

If any of you have taken an extended break for WoT, you can agree; returning to a steady regiment of game play can be quite finicky.  That first day of playing can be discouraging if you start with a losing streak or find yourself continuing a tiresome grind in a mediocre tank.  Well, Let me declare the Cromwell has me hooked on Tanks, all over again.  On my tenth battle, I received an Ace Tanker medal, this was after I was able to mount the final gun, though I was doing well even in the tank's stock variant.

This was my tenth battle... this video demonstrates the Cromwell's strengths; as a sniper, as a brawler, as a front line tank, as a battering ram... as a jack of all trades.(this is my first time uploading to YouTube .. please excuse the quality and lack of sound... lol.)

I know as far as reviews go, this post is sloppy and rushed, but after my last battle, I was so pleased with this tank, I had to jump back into the forums to share my love for the Beef Wellington... well that's what I call it.

Here's hoping the rest of the British Medium line is as good as this gem of a vehicle,

Super

DOWNnOUT #2 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 17:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7636 battles
spoken to the tip, like a diamond. love the tank

Hartziel #3 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 17:36

Major

• Players
  • 27759 battles
the cromwell is fast..yes

and that is all.

the top gun pens not bad, but makes only nice small holes
the so called derp is a joke and even with gold absolute nonsense

compared with the 122 on the t34 35 terribad

i guess it is something like a bigger t50 with horrible MM all the time

and tough ?

this thing has paper protection, all the time direct the gunner is dead or de driver is going for a tea break...

ah and accuracy ????

even with a 100% crew it shoots 4 of 5 shots into the bushes or the sky....

can be fun, but in fact nothing special

Edited by Hartziel, Nov 07 2012 - 17:37.

dingo305 #4 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 17:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8456 battles
I've found it to be a really epic tank.
Awesome mobility, good gun with not that bad accuracy and good ROF, good HP.
Easily the best tier 6 flanker.

CamaroMullet #5 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 18:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28251 battles
  • [ATO] ATO
Definitely a keeper in my garage. Not really a brawler though. Perfect scout hunter/flanker.

deathsheads #6 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 18:11

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14553 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
Its like the pershing, it looks like crap in every way on paper, then you get in it and it is an AMAZING tank.  I too had just got back from a long break and picked this gem up my second day back, had the gun from the churchill and 1 battle to the tracks and let me say, it is a better EZ 8 in my opinion.  DPM is lower, but its short height and ability to accelerate quickly make it great at taking pop shots.  If this thing had a vert stab like the EZ8, I would keep this tank forever, but alas it does not.  My only worry is that this tank is so good, it will make the comet seem like a giant pos in comparison.  (Hoping that tank is better in practice than on paper too because eesh it looks crappy on paper).

superfluidity #7 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 18:13

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12417 battles
Inside of twenty games, two I walked away with eight kills, one of which I capped as well... this isn't just beginner's luck.

http://dl.dropbox.co...OT/shot_034.jpg

superfluidity #8 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 18:15

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12417 battles
oh... and an important thing to note: This tank has impressive REVERSE speed, very helpful.

soltic #9 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 18:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 4798 battles
The Cromwell is my new tank that I least like to see on the other side especially late in the battle.
Its speed and agility combined with its hitpoints and fast gun allow it to either pick off the wounded late in game, scout, or go for our arty.  

I cringe every time i see my own sides Croms get themselves blown up scouting early on which seems to happen almost every time.
A Cromwell that waits is a scary tank.

AzRoth #10 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 18:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23588 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE
I like this tank as well. I am used to the flanker, harrasser role and this tank accells at that. Mobility is awesome, the gun is good, arrmor is adequate for its role. Hope the nerf bat stays away.

trowzerkoff #11 Posted Nov 07 2012 - 19:18

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16611 battles
Endorse all the above positive comments about this amazing tank.

My formula is to speed to a hot spot on the map at the start - and wait.  Any scouts or mediums that eventually come into view are usually toast.  Once the opening stanza is over, I use the Crommie's speed to reloc to back up the heavies [this is ideal] and pick off the winged limpers or generally act opportunistically.  Keep an eye on the mini-map and get over and support when ready - you are the wiry guy on the wing ready to snap up the ball and make some good yards for the big dudes.

If engaged and hit, use the Cromwell's superb reverse speed to bug out asap using an erratic left-right-left fishtailing movement.

Specs: 77mm gun, best engine [this makes the Cromwell a Formula One racer], 100% crew [pay the gold], rammer [speed on the reload], vents [crew bonus], binos [like the extra view range].  Note that I used to have the gun laying drive, but swapped it out for the rammer and found this an improvement suited to my tactics but your experience may be different.

Midnitewolf #12 Posted Nov 08 2012 - 06:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7150 battles
I am not finding it all that amazing.  Takes way to long to aim and fire which usually means that I can't race, stop, snap shot and race again which in turn means I usually take fire before I dish it out.    It is fun and can do well at times but hardly amazing.

superfluidity #13 Posted Nov 08 2012 - 16:11

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12417 battles
I reached the Comet last night... allow me to say... it is not a fit predecessor to the Cromwell.  It is sluggish... and even the "new" gun it carries is such a small upgrade to the cromwell's, it is a waste of xp...  Here's hoping the Centurion picks up the pace.

Optimus_Ares #14 Posted Nov 08 2012 - 22:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15775 battles
  • [NL] NL
The cromwell is a decent tank for its tier, but feels more along the light-tank side, rather than a medium. Its very fast, agile and has decent penetration, but has no armor to speak of.  Can't really say it's awesome because of these drawbacks and the matchups it gets.

I think people get the impression its such an awesome tank because its predecessor, the Crusader, is absolutely the biggest pos in WoT atm. To clarify: the Crusader is much slower than the Cromwell, has no armor, no gun, bad view range and bad maneuverability for a light tank, ergo: absolutely useless and should be avoided at all costs if possible.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Optimus_Ares, Nov 08 2012 - 22:07.