Caernarvon the worst tier8?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

HCGxKaLiBeR #1 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 07:16

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7637 battles
Just got this tank by spending 30 USD worth of EXP.

So far, I just unlocked the track. This tank is just awful to play with the stock gun. I could not even kill a KV-2 under 20 sec at 50-100m range with my skill. Then a med finished me off when I was focusing on that KV-2.

I Just used all my free exp for unlocking this stock tank, and I dont plan to adding more gold till the next month, which mean I have to stuck with this tank for a little bit longer : (

Basically, I have played lots of the tanks and I I see no future on this tank. and the tank is the worst tier 8 in game, just right under the America T32 Heavy. The only reason that I'm playing on this tank is because I want the Tier IX Conqueror Heavy Tank.

Three big awful things about this tank:
1. Low Alpha damage (No fear factor, and less chance to damage covered enemies, which they mostly are...)
2. Ammo racked on every match by penetrated it from the front. (This means RoF advantage is pointless)
3. Huge weak spot from the middle hull all the way to the lower hull (150mm of frontal armor for nothing)

PS, I could not belive I just rage posted this, I have never done it. I guess this tank is just really bad + I have been getting back luck playing it.
I might change my mind when I fullt researched this tank, but still, I will not give too much hope for it.

Edited: Unlocked most of the modules now, still sucks.... xD

Edited by HCGxKaLiBeR, Nov 19 2012 - 18:33.

burtondrummerNY #2 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 07:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5376 battles
Stopped reading when you mentioned that its stock.

ysoignorant #3 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 07:19

Major

• Players
  • 20872 battles
  • [SPIDY] SPIDY
Looks like you fell for the British HT trap. They're all soft, especially when you know this magical trick called "aim". They're nothing more than a gun.

_Snuggles2Death_ #4 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 07:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13673 battles
Never judge a stock tank, it's like a reading  1 chapter of a book and calling it garbage because the very first part is dull and boring. Then at the end it gets good  and exciting.

HCGxKaLiBeR #5 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 07:24

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7637 battles

View PostburtondrummerNY, on Nov 09 2012 - 07:18, said:

I post this because I can see the top gun makes not much difference.

pangi #6 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 07:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 18600 battles
module damage seems to be so frequent for all British tanks, i got turret ringed, tracked, ammoracked and main gun damaged in almost all the games i played in my Churchill I and Covenanter.

WG need to fix this issue for British tanks.

Blizzard36 #7 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 07:38

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 11504 battles
  • [RABIT] RABIT

View PostburtondrummerNY, on Nov 09 2012 - 07:18, said:

I stopped caring when I saw he Free XPed his way there. That's always a trap.

Use the Free XP to not play stock, or even instantly fully upgrade tanks if you have enough, but always play them along the way a little. That way you get to see how they play and get a feel for the line before you get to the really big and expensive ones.

I'm not sure it would have prevented this particular shock, as the Caernavon seems to be the first tank in the heavy line that really starts to have low armor for its tier after having quite good armor from tier 4-7. But I do think the player would be better able to take advantage of the UK gun characteristics to mitigate that a bit if he'd played up there.

View PostHCGxKaLiBeR, on Nov 09 2012 - 07:24, said:

I'm sorry... WHAT?!

You don't see another 55 average penetration making much difference?! Plus 80 more damage per shot on average giving you better kill power in exchange for a drop in RoF, with better accuracy and faster aim time to let you make the most of those shots.

Edited by Blizzard36, Nov 09 2012 - 07:42.

xhypnotoadx #8 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 08:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 28267 battles
This tank is by no means awful but neither is it outstanding. Its pretty average I am not a stellar player by any means but I am averaging in the 700s xp per battle so it is right in there for me with the other tier 8 heavies. In fact it is exactly tied with the vk4502 for me.

Vad_Varo #9 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 10:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 20704 battles
I did a double take at "just right under the America T32 heavy", a highly mobile battleship turret that can headbutt anything in VIII-IX to death.

Side note- the T32 is one of those tanks that go to a whole new level when firing gold rounds .

Gasboy #10 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 12:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13258 battles
Is the crew 100%?  Have you unlocked all the modules?  Do you have a few hundred battles in it?

No?

Welcome to stock heavies.

You've got a whole 7 games in the tank and you're ready to call it worst tier 8?  And exactly 0 games in the T32, so how can you even compare the two?

big_boo_baddy #11 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 13:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13448 battles

View PostBlizzard36, on Nov 09 2012 - 07:38, said:

I stopped caring when I saw he Free XPed his way there. That's always a trap.

Use the Free XP to not play stock, or even instantly fully upgrade tanks if you have enough, but always play them along the way a little. That way you get to see how they play and get a feel for the line before you get to the really big and expensive ones.

I'm not sure it would have prevented this particular shock, as the Caernavon seems to be the first tank in the heavy line that really starts to have low armor for its tier after having quite good armor from tier 4-7. But I do think the player would be better able to take advantage of the UK gun characteristics to mitigate that a bit if he'd played up there.

I'm sorry... WHAT?!

You don't see another 55 average penetration making much difference?! Plus 80 more damage per shot on average giving you better kill power in exchange for a drop in RoF, with better accuracy and faster aim time to let you make the most of those shots.

The free exp trap is the reason I stopped with the CHurchill VII even though I had enough to blast to the Caernarvon. I get the chance to play the other tanks (and I am really enjoying the Churchill BP) get some skills on my crew and make the most of the free exp I have available. I'm looking forward to the Caernarvon when I get there as if nothing else the mobility has got to be better than a churchill anything.

As for module damage, I noticed the ammo rack problem on the test server driving the mediums and unsurprisingly history repeated itself with the heavies. My advice, get the tank upgraded, get a Wet Stowage rack and train the loader up on Safe Stowage. Of course free exp'ing your way there and then needing to grind out 100% exp for the first crew skill (assuming you brought a gold crew) on a stock tank with a very, very weak stock gun was only going to make it a lot harder....,.

Somnus #12 Posted Nov 09 2012 - 14:33

Captain

• Players
  • 24018 battles
My policy on grinding this line has been to free XP the top gun (and tracks and turret, if required to get the gun) and grind anythings else I care to unlock, including the next tank, through gameplay. Unfortunately, the Church I's vast array of crappy guns that must be unlocked in order to get the top weapon made one helluva xp sink. Thusly, I shall be forced to grind the rest of the way regardless.

godofdun #13 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 00:18

Major

• Players
  • 15848 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostHCGxKaLiBeR, on Nov 09 2012 - 07:24, said:

You think the extra penetration means nothing?  Not sure if serious.

partigirl #14 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 01:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13229 battles
Ragging over a stock tank... you dont need to say more.

HCGxKaLiBeR #15 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 06:31

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7637 battles

View PostGasboy, on Nov 09 2012 - 12:49, said:

You've got a whole 7 games in the tank and you're ready to call it worst tier 8?  And exactly 0 games in the T32, so how can you even compare the two?

I played most of the tanks in beta and test server.

HCGxKaLiBeR #16 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 06:38

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7637 battles

View Postgodofdun, on Nov 10 2012 - 00:18, said:

You think the extra penetration means nothing?  Not sure if serious.

The RoF is good, but when u placed in a high tier battle with experienced players, they rarely expose their tanks or vulnerable parts for you to shoot continually.
The Damage is low, when playing in high tier battles, you cant rely on RoF, so low damage high RoF is useless for a heavy in this kind of situation...
The pen is good, but that is not what I ment.

Edited by HCGxKaLiBeR, Nov 10 2012 - 06:42.

HCGxKaLiBeR #17 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 06:51

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7637 battles

View Postbig_boo_baddy, on Nov 09 2012 - 13:31, said:

My advice, get the tank upgraded, get a Wet Stowage rack and train the loader up on Safe Stowage. Of course free exp'ing your way there and then needing to grind out 100% exp for the first crew skill (assuming you brought a gold crew) on a stock tank with a very, very weak stock gun was only going to make it a lot harder....,.

Yeah, I got a 100% gold crew and the loder with the Safe Stowage skill.
I will definitely get enough free exp during this 5x Exp event. (And prob will get enough for Conqueror by the next week)
But I need to wait until next month to purchase gold in order to get EXP transfered..... (I've been using this EXP transfer thing too much when WoT hit 8.0)

Poguemohoin #18 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 17:11

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5084 battles
Have this tank with all upgrades and 100% crew.  This tank has to be a joke among the players, it's always the first targeted (even when other tanks are spotted, save arty) and die so flipping fast.

As xKaliber was saying, the ROF and Pen are good but as is this tank can't compete with a Tiger II or any other Tier 8 heavy.  Mediums, such as the Type 59 can be defeated one on one but you end up severely damaged and usually a few dead crew.

I can deal with the lack of armor, but please give us more alpha damage!  This tank has nothing that the French tanks don't already have.  What's the point of this line?

Vad_Varo #19 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 18:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 20704 battles
Still not seeing the hate, 36 games in with a 63% win rate. The disdain for the British heavies is one of its best features, there's nothing better than being openly mocked by the other team for a being at the top, and then sticking a boot in their ass. I've also found that certain tanks like the IS-3 will charge across the open thinking you cannot harm them, only to veer off in terror after 3 or 4 UFP pens before they can manage a hit.

You do have to be cautious,  but the turret will bounce shots if you stay hull down. Very mobile will the top engine, and the 'B' barrel seems to be more of an improvement than the stats would indicate.

Mow_Mow #20 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 19:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12060 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
You shouldn't use free exp to unlock the tank unless you have enough to get the best gun and whatever is required to mount it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users