• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

Mow_Mow #61 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 20:43

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12060 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKonigwolfen, on Nov 15 2012 - 08:56, said:

You actually think people without premium accounts and/or tanks just mystically accrue thousands of free exp?

Consider that if you spent 100,000 exp to get from the previous tank to the Caernarvon, you should by default have 5,000 free exp saved up. That's if you already spent all your free exp on the previous tier. It's already a head start from zero.

So yes, I think people without premium accounts and/or tanks just "mystically accrue thousands of free exp" because they play the game. You also do not need a premium account to spend gold to convert experience. You can play a tank even if you have researched everything on it, as you seem to imply premium account players do but non-premium account players somehow are barred from doing so.

HCGxKaLiBeR #62 Posted Nov 17 2012 - 04:50

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7637 battles

View PostPhaethon666, on Nov 16 2012 - 20:38, said:

Why Can't I give this noob a negative rep?!?!

noob? I'm not just some lowbies whining about some bad games that I had.

If u dont believe it, please go look at my stats (not my win ratio or sh** like that), just do some math and go look at the damage, K/D per game.
http://forum.worldof...omparison-tool/  (WoT performance rating tool)

I need a tank that can deal damage to the enemy, help my teammate, get decent Exp. Others I dont really care.

British heavy line needs serious buff. Just go look at other posts and other forums.

Konigwolfen #63 Posted Nov 17 2012 - 12:32

Captain

• Players
  • 25026 battles
  • [BFPA] BFPA

View PostDBrimstone, on Nov 16 2012 - 20:22, said:

I do. I never use gold yet I currently have 22k free exp saved up. I just unlocked the first 120 on my m103 (24k free exp) without playing the tank. Which was a week or 2 after unlocking my Lorraine 155 50's suspension (7k free exp). I must say that the 5x for your first win weekends back to back did load me with about 10k, but I always save my free exp for modules on a specific tank. Right now I'm saving up fort he m48's 105. I'll be unlocking the tank in a couple days and while I grind the credits for it, I'll also be getting free exp

You may not use gold but you have several premium tanks, and I would assume a premium account. Which facilitates much easier free exp grinding.

View PostMow_Mow, on Nov 16 2012 - 20:43, said:

----I didn't imply gold was a premium-only item, however gold to transfer exp from elite tanks into free exp is an entirely different aspect altogether. The main point I was putting out was that premium acct/tankers will accrue free exp faster than the average player, and that the usual player isn't just going play for one night and accrue 10k free exp "just like that", and that most people do not have the free exp lying around en masse to research an entire tier 8 (even tier 5 and up is iffy) in a matter of moments.(premium tankers and stellar tier 8-10 tankers are an exception).

----So back to my other point; Having a stock tank is not breaking any rule, some tanks are horrible stock, others are less effected (Isu-152 -> 704 [top gun usable right off the bat]), but it is not against the "rules". Certainly something like the Arl V39 or T32/34 are(were) travesties in a stock grind scenario, but its not something that can't be overcome with skill. On the other hand the comment I replied to was a snarky insult towards the OP in that they did something asinine in buying a stock tank, attempting to play it like it was elite, then whining about it (in lesser words of course).

P.S. If memory serves over 90% of the players on the server do not play beyond 1000 battles, they end up losing interest and move into other less "mentally taxing" games ( like CoD), I would expect of the remainder of players left over only a small fraction buy gold, with an even smaller fraction buying premium account or premium tanks, and a an infinitesimal fraction buying both a premium account and premium tanks. Also my use of "mystical" was an exaggeration for the amount of time it would take, not that it doesn't happen.

Edited by Konigwolfen, Nov 17 2012 - 12:37.

Rokuzachi #64 Posted Nov 17 2012 - 18:23

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 21314 battles
Got everything except the radios upgraded now. Thought about holding off on that last engine but I'm glad I didn't. The mobility is now just enough to pull off some clever driving with and being able to reposition with some semblance of speed has been a blessing.

The great thing about the short turret on this tank is that it lets you still be viable in tier X matches. I've been able to play poptart on several maps and repeatedly punch tier 9 and 10 tanks right in the gut. It's very amusing when that E-100 lobs a shot at you and it skips off your turret's roof like a rock on water.

subweevil #65 Posted Nov 18 2012 - 01:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 35167 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS
This is a great tank to be driving when your on a good team, you can quickly lay waste to any flank.  Granted, the same can't be said for most tanks, but with it's low alpha and great ROF, it's especially true for it.  It's priceless watching tanks try focus on you once you pop them once, then ignore you as they get alpha'd from another tank, only to have you put several more rounds into them, then watch as they flip their turret back and forth unable to decide who to attack,lol.  This tank can distract like no other.  Sure, 1 bee sting isn't so bad, but several several draws your attention.  Kinda like this tank's top gun.  I'm also getting lots of criticals too, and I can't imagine how many more I'd get if I had the Deadeye skill.  It's also loads of fun perma tracking tanks trying to play peekaboo, then watching them get wasted by my team mates since the ycan't get back into cover.  I'm sure thioad  will wear off once people learn it's reload speed.

Ogopogo #66 Posted Nov 18 2012 - 02:13

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25503 battles

View PostKonigwolfen, on Nov 16 2012 - 06:33, said:

You seemed to have missed my point, free exp accrues extremely slowly, the only case in which it wouldn't is with both a premium account and/or tank. Which gives you 50%-100% more exp (essentially infinite x1.5-x2's), which equates to 10% exp (technically) gained towards free exp compared to someone with a standard account.

Um, I have never had a premium account. In fact, it is only because of specials and the like (tier 9 American switch) that I have premiums

big_boo_baddy #67 Posted Nov 18 2012 - 10:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13448 battles
I can't see what everyone's problem is with it. Better pen and rof than my T32 had and it's just as quick. Sure the side armour has all the stopping power of a damp sheet of paper but if I don't let people get side on to me it isn't a problem. I'm enjoying the Caernarvon, i'm still short the 'B' Barrel 20lber and the top engine but i'm having a blast with it. I can't work out what all the fuss and bad karma is in aid of, or are people trying to drive it beyond it's means.

I'm seeing a lot of posts which mirror the posts when the French heavies came out, don't see many people moaning about the ARL 44 or AMX M4 anymore. Maybe time and practice are the keys, can the Caernarvon brawl, nope, can it stand toe to toe against a tier 9 heavy not with out a very good driver. Can it stand off from the main engagement and launch round after round, yes it can. Can it bounce shells from a BL10? Mine has and the Jagdtiger gun as well, I wish people would start playing to a tanks strengths rather than criticising the weakness they can't play to.

coaesystems #68 Posted Nov 18 2012 - 20:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21080 battles
So far, it plays more like a US medium than a Brit heavy. It's a weaker version of the ST-I. Reload is my favourite part about this tank - on good games I'm racking up the damage. Still yet to master it though.

Dragonawh #69 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 20:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24356 battles
The cearn when stock is still a threat in tier 9 battles if you use it correctly. You have to learn how to angle its hull armor. Also if you are running off on your own of course your bone stock tank will get eaten alive. Just stick with other heavies and give support fire. Always can move to an enemies side because if there is a tank more powerful than you shooting at the target he most likely will ignore you.

apocoluster #70 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 21:15

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13371 battles
Just reciently unlocked the tank...3 matches in.  I have the gold and kept he BP so I plan on grinding out the rest of the mods with it.  From what I read though in summary:

1) Dont brawl, snipe

2)  Hull down like the Americans

3)  Shoot and scoot

Is this a correct summation so far?   If so Would it be a better idea, Equimpent wise, to outfit like a TD?  binocs, cammo netting etc etc?

Rypper #71 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 21:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23343 battles

View PostPhaethon666, on Nov 16 2012 - 20:38, said:

Why Can't I give this noob a negative rep?!?!

This.

TL;DR: An Arty/TD driver took out a stock T8 heavy for a spin. He says it is worse than T32 that he never drove.

Rypper #72 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 22:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23343 battles

View PostKonigwolfen, on Nov 15 2012 - 08:56, said:

You actually think people without premium accounts and/or tanks just mystically accrue thousands of free exp?

I just got a suspension and BL-10 for my ISU (76K XP?) with Free XP, and still have about 10K left. No premium, except promotions. These amounts accumulate by playing a lot of tanks (I have 28, actively driving 6 or 7) and spending Free XP only when it matters.

Konigwolfen #73 Posted Nov 20 2012 - 14:30

Captain

• Players
  • 25026 battles
  • [BFPA] BFPA

View PostRypper, on Nov 19 2012 - 22:01, said:

I just got a suspension and BL-10 for my ISU (76K XP?) with Free XP, and still have about 10K left. No premium, except promotions. These amounts accumulate by playing a lot of tanks (I have 28, actively driving 6 or 7) and spending Free XP only when it matters.
Did you not bother reading the following posts in the thread? If you did you'll see "most people do not have the free exp lying around en masse to research an entire tier 8 (even tier 5 and up is iffy) in a matter of moments.(premium tankers and stellar tier 8-10 tankers are an exception)."

Your second most-played tank is now a premium, switchover or not, and you also have several tier 8s and 9s, with a few 10's in the mix. You fall into both exception categories, your eff rating is 1326, which is "good" by the calc's standards, and is equivalent to being in the top 8% of the server population. Granted the majority of players dont get past 1000 battles, let alone get above 50% win rate.

Also If I may inquire how many tank lines did you grind at one time? Im grinding several, so free experience simply does not accumulate (especially when going through the usual stock tank woes at peek "fail" hour, when the server drops below 10k players, oh the horror).

Somnus #74 Posted Nov 20 2012 - 15:46

Captain

• Players
  • 24018 battles
The free xp discussion seems to have been kicked off by this post.

View PostJDCollie, on Nov 14 2012 - 18:49, said:

He/she broke the cardinal law of grinding: "Thou shalt never use all thy free xp unlocking a stock tank."

Those who break this law earn the stock damnation they inevitably suffer.

Note that JD did not say "Free XP your way to the top of the line."

He's advocating judicious use of what free XP you have. One should never use up one's free xp to unlock a new tank if you don't have enough to unlock its critical modules as well. It doesn't matter whether you have tons of free XP sitting around, this is still good advice. Actually, the less free XP you have, the better the advice is.

If you're short on free xp, do not use it to unlock a new tank. All that does is stick you with the longest possible stock grind. Continue grinding on your current tank (likely elite or close to it, and therefore much more effective and enjoyable to play than stock)  until you unlock the new tank. Save your free xp for modules on the new tank to shorten the stock period. Doing this will do wonders for lowering the frustration of the grind.

]

Okeano #75 Posted Nov 20 2012 - 15:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 28781 battles
It felt fine on the test server. It's the light at the end of the shit tunnel of Churchfails.

hardicon #76 Posted Nov 20 2012 - 19:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 54811 battles
The "Carnivore"  is a really good tank.  Mine is still stock pretty much, just got the first gun and I really enjoy this tank.  It reminds me alot of the t32, use hull down tactics and it is actually on a hull that can bounce a few shots if angled correctly.  The gun has really good pen, decent damage with a great rate of fire, most other tier 8 heavies you can just out dps them.  too early to tell if its the best or the worst, but it is a really good tank and ive been having alot of fun playing it.

HCGxKaLiBeR #77 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 01:37

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7637 battles

View PostRypper, on Nov 19 2012 - 21:48, said:

This.

TL;DR: An Arty/TD driver took out a stock T8 heavy for a spin. He says it is worse than T32 that he never drove.

The reason u thought that I'm a Arty/TD driver is because I have those on the top of the list inside of my profile.
But actually I do have some mid to high tier Hvys on the bottom of the list, (If u check carefully)
The reason that they do not have much battles as my Arty and TDs is because I use my Arty/TD to farm free EXP to elite my Hvys ASAP.
PS, I did own a T32 in beta,(I think I mentioned before) the tank itself did not get any buff or nerf ever since. So, I think its ok to compare them.

Tex_Arcana #78 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 03:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32070 battles
My name is Tex. I do not have premium.
I can save thousands of xp like a Scotsman saves pennies (and my dad is a Scot so I have solid grounding). And only use them for upgrades, not to jump tanks...whoops check that: I used free xp to vault past the AMX38 and 40 once lol.
Looking forward to trying the Caern.

Horseplay #79 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 06:18

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 9818 battles
It's a glass cannon but not the worst tier 8 by far imo and the gun depression was much better than I was expecting.

apocoluster #80 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 14:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13371 battles
Im starting to dig the tank. Unlocked both guns and 2nd engine ( with judicious use of gold).  On a nice hilly map I can hold my own.  Little apprehensive when im "top" but I love t9+ matches in this tank.  I feel it does fine. I just need to work out the bugs in my playstyle and It would be a great tank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users