Tips for the ELC AMX

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

HaikuFoxy #1 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 17:06

Major

• Players
  • 5732 battles
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO
We all know what the ELC AMX is. The first good French tank of the medium tree. At first glance, this little bullet once upgraded looks like a speed bullet of pwnage, until you realize it had a turret that's not a turret. Here are some tips for how to play the ELC effectively.
1: If you have the top gun, then play like an arty, shoot, then get out because the average reload time is 15 seconds.
2: If you use the other two guns, play smartly, you still do not have a turret, use run and gun tactics. Fire, move, fire, and repeat.
3:Use your speed to your advantage, attack from the sides, and always remember not to overdo the flanking, since you don't have a turret you have to attack from a distance.

These are all my tips, now go out there and kick ass!

ohsi #2 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 17:25

Major

• Players
  • 23524 battles
  • [LINCN] LINCN
It can be also played as a TD. It has a very powerful gun, and it's so small that it fits in every bush. Put camo skill and a camo net, and you will be invisible.

Boxhawk #3 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 17:28

Major

• Players
  • 12979 battles
The gun has such a horrendous aim time that you need to either snipe from good distance (although the gun is not terribly accurate) or do what I like to do and run right up to the target and pull the trigger.  I dont bother using sniper mode when I am hunting arty, just get at them full speed, hit reverse just before you are going to smash into them and shoot.  Its fast enough to stay to the sides or back of arty.

LightningStriker911 #4 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 17:29

Major

• Players
  • 7601 battles
I prefer playing ELC AMX as TD. I hate scouting.

WetRock #5 Posted Nov 10 2012 - 22:33

Major

• Players
  • 28897 battles
  • [50CAL] 50CAL
I find I try to adapt to the map and situation in this tank. At times I've had awesome games passive scouting. I've also got scout medals by running a big hook right at the start of the match. Finding a nice point behind the heavies to do some TD action can make for a fun game. Watching tier 8's spin their turrets around looking for what just sliced 200+ hp's off their fat bellies is a lot of fun in such a tiny tank.

I often try to rush out early using that speed and find a nice spot where I can either just light some tanks up or surprise the enemy when some snipe shots where they are not expecting it. For some reason guys running down the center of Lakeville for instance never expect to get hit from the corners. Easy pickin's.

You can also flank and help out guys that need that sort of support. It's tricky but you can run in, pound their sides or rear and run back out. Pick and choose where you do this carefully.

And of course arty runs after a couple minutes when you see a lane open is a great use of the tank. Light one up for your guys and go shoot another.

It's all very situational. Evaluate your map and see what is best for that game.

I run with Vents, Rammer and GLD.  Thinking about trading out one of those for a camo net or coated optics.

Zedzded #6 Posted Nov 11 2012 - 08:07

Captain

• Players
  • 674 battles
I love vents and the GLD, but recently I've been watching videos made by a couple of Russian unicums and I saw one recently regarding module choice.

Vents: really only give a 2-3% effective increase to skills. Not enough to make a significant difference.
GLD: Completely marginal increase - useful on arty and maybe the T34. Vert stab is more effective on most tanks.

the ELC's primary role on any map is scouting, both active and passive. I would highly recommend optics, scope and camo net. This set up let's you excel at both active and passive scouting, letting you focus on damage through scouting and giving you the best chances of getting scouting medals to increase your xp per game.

Finally, get the sixth sense perk for your commander as soon as possible. It gives you a huge advantage.

Mhantaxx #7 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 18:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 1564 battles
I don't see it mentioned much, but the off-road driving skill is freaking amazing on this tank.  At 85% skill right now, I can roll through any terrain without slowing down much, if at all.  Turning on sand?  No problem.   Just watch out for the bumps and jumps and power slides.

WetRock #8 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 19:01

Major

• Players
  • 28897 battles
  • [50CAL] 50CAL

View PostMhantaxx, on Nov 12 2012 - 18:53, said:

I don't see it mentioned much, but the off-road driving skill is freaking amazing on this tank.  At 85% skill right now, I can roll through any terrain without slowing down much, if at all.  Turning on sand?  No problem.   Just watch out for the bumps and jumps and power slides.
Good tip. I went for clutch braking as my 2nd skill for the driver on this one to help with the all out driving stuff. I'll think about switching it out to off road when I get it maxed out.

Mhantaxx #9 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 19:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 1564 battles

View PostWetRock, on Nov 12 2012 - 19:01, said:

Good tip. I went for clutch braking as my 2nd skill for the driver on this one to help with the all out driving stuff. I'll think about switching it out to off road when I get it maxed out.

Might try clutch breaking as my second skill once offroad up to 100%.  My other skill is camoflage, which, as mentioned above, is amazing for setting up ambushes.

WetRock #10 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 20:08

Major

• Players
  • 28897 battles
  • [50CAL] 50CAL

View PostMhantaxx, on Nov 12 2012 - 19:17, said:

Might try clutch breaking as my second skill once offroad up to 100%.  My other skill is camoflage, which, as mentioned above, is amazing for setting up ambushes.
And passive scouting. I only have one crew member trained with camo. As I noted above I'm think about trading out GLD or Rammer for a camo net.  Need to check the math on the reload versus the aim times.

Super_Salo7 #11 Posted Nov 15 2012 - 19:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17757 battles
ELC has three roles it can take on very good:

1. Scout, close to mid range. Run around not stopping taking all attention of the enemy and letting the friendlies to kill enemies.
2. Sniper. If scouting is not doable, stay slightly behind the rest of your team and snipe.
3. One-on-one killing machine. This small tank can effectively kill high tiers heavies, tds and arties most of the time, sometimes mediums and lights.

dannoboom #12 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 17:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6494 battles
Vents is huge on this tank.... at 50,000 it's a bargain too!
I like to run a combo of styles with mine
1. The scout: run around lighting up guys, the longer you stay alive the better!
2. The "Hit n Run" fly by a tank pop a shell into them and get out ASAP
3. Sniper: hang back with a camo and snipe targets that you can get good hits on, I usually relocate/pull back after every shot you can't afford to take any hit's in this tank!
4. Flanker: this tanks best in game???? turning traverse allows to to flank TD's and fat heavy's and pump shots in to them, I like to combine this with "Hit n Run"

Love my ELC to death 322 games and counting and it's been fun everyone of them!

Znath #13 Posted Nov 22 2012 - 18:51

Major

• Players
  • 18515 battles
Vents BiA and a Rammer can get the load time down to like 10 seconds.  Not exactly rapid fire but it's usable.

Don't use the base guns, only the 90mm soon as you can.
Without it, you're put in upper tier battles and you're useless.

I've seen people try to claim the 75 is better in any way at all ever.  It is not.
The little tank simply can't handle holding still long or it gets aimed and blown up FAST.  Most of the tanks in the game can 1hit this thing.

It's a decent flanker, but you need a quick escape route and plenty of room to turn and run.  You can also snipe with it if you've got allies ahead of you that will take the hits and keep the enemy from approaching.  Otherwise if you're on the front, you WILL be spotted and the enemy WILL see you faster than you see them.

The ELC has pretty decent vision but it's not great.  Its greater strength is the camo rating is absurdly high... but it also has a crappy radio and again NO real armor.  A .50 cal could pen this guy.

And regarding gold rounds... you might carry a couple in case you end up in a tier10 battle.  But I wouldn't have many 2-3 tops.  And think hard about using them.. they cost a lot.   Usually any battle you fire more than one without any repairs or consumables, you'll lose money.

ArmoredCorps #14 Posted Nov 25 2012 - 17:45

Major

• Players
  • 41577 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
1) don't stop moving, you have poor view and radio range, you're not a genuine spotting-type scout, but an ambusher, flanker, and above all, vulture

2) drive the terrain; your tank is something like 5' tall, drive the low-lying microterrain assiduously. Arty, if it shoots at you, can splash you if they're good, but a tank without line of sight is no risk to you. All of the reworked maps have a lot of nuanced microterrain which at times is frustrating but can be exploited in this manner and others. (and be careful not to catch air by surprise; surprises are bad, unless it's you orchestrating them)

3) Mad Max gunnery: you drive at the enemy (you can zig and zag on the way there; preferably an already spotted enemy, which doesn't see you coming), get danger close -- sometimes 50 meters -- and shoot. You may need to do this in 1st person and you may need to practice it

4) static gunnery: not a waste of time, but it's situational. You have a 240 damage gun with a ridiculously long reload & aim time. You should only be stopping to aim at targets if they're in medium or close range, and you can get a kill shot or help focus on one enemy who another ally is shooting

5) bring normal consumables, fire, repair, 1st aid kit. It burns more than I like, being tracked means dying (and a lot of guns can one-shoot you anyway) and with 2 crewmembers, you're crippled with a dead commander, who does everything but drive

6) if you've played the scab / flea role in T-50's, you can do that in this as well. Basically, when an isolated enemy heavy is bogging down allies, you fly in, get his attention (and turret turning) and galvanize allies to push through. A lot of times, a timely distraction gets a bad (but big, scary looking heavy tank) killed. Pubs can't count, they need to see someone doing something before they realize they have a numerical advantage

7) last but not least, as a light tank, be ready to exploit gaps to drive to arty. This probably won't be early.
That's not nearly categorical enough.
THIS WON'T BE EARLY.

Don't suicide, wait for the field to thin out a bit, but don't put too much pressure on yourself to spot the world or expose yourself. It's a unique, fun tank, but it's capabilities are limited. If your team doesn't want to win, they probably won't, but you can tip the scales in local fights, by vulturing someone about to retreat from the battlespace, piling-on or simply pulling an enemy team's deployment inward.

Edited by ArmouredCorps, Nov 25 2012 - 17:45.

iamablocker #15 Posted Nov 25 2012 - 17:48

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles
quoting someone:

View PostPTwr, on Aug 18 2012 - 17:22, said:

Step #1: Disable brain.
Step #2: Press W.
Step #3: Scream.

:Smile_veryhappy:  :Smile_glasses:  :Smile-bajan2:  :Smile_smile:  :Smile-hiding:  :Smile_trollface-3:  :Smile_blinky:  :Smile_harp:  :Smile-tongue:  :Smile-izmena:  :Smile-playing:

Edited by iamablocker, Nov 25 2012 - 17:49.

ArmoredCorps #16 Posted Nov 25 2012 - 17:53

Major

• Players
  • 41577 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Oh yeah, and whatever you do, don't get rammed. This includes even letting a tank back up into you from a standstill. You weigh so little, everything hurts you. (one time I derped and let an E75 back up into me; I exploded over half life from an 11kmh tap)

When elephants fight, mice get trampled.

EchelonIII #17 Posted Nov 25 2012 - 18:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13699 battles
  • [BULLS] BULLS
The best way to play an ELC is as a fast response tank. You'll want to time your runs inbetween enemy reloads to make the most of it.

View PostArmouredCorps, on Nov 25 2012 - 17:53, said:

Oh yeah, and whatever you do, don't get rammed. This includes even letting a tank back up into you from a standstill. You weigh so little, everything hurts you. (one time I derped and let an E75 back up into me; I exploded over half life from an 11kmh tap)

When elephants fight, mice get trampled.

Impossible, just completely impossible. If a maus doing 20 barely did 33, there's no way an E75 weighing less than half that would do 200.

As shown in the diagram, I'm far more likely to be pushed back than I am to take massive damage.

This shot was taken after some guy tried to say he was ramming people for 600+ on a maus in flat terrain and he dared me to do a training fight after I called it.

http://puu.sh/1ubum

Edited by EchelonIII, Nov 25 2012 - 18:10.

_RayS_ #18 Posted Nov 26 2012 - 05:12

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7092 battles
  • [FRU] FRU
My usual ELC routine in a match:

1) Kill enemy scouts
2) Active scout, but not more than 300 m away from friendlies
3) "mosquito" tactics
4) Flanking, Hit N' Run, Strafing bombing run
5) Kill arty

Also, if you're really careful about it and avoid getting rammed, you can literally facehug almost every heavy tank (except probably T29, KV-1s, and the likes) without getting hit. ELC is too flat.