8.1 - Game Crashing in the Garage on nVidia GTX 650 Ti - Only with the 'New' graphics engine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

MassiveHyperion #1 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 03:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Title says it all.

Ever since 8.1, the game will randomly freeze, but ONLY in the garage.  These freezes come in two flavours.  Either a hard lock of the entire machine, nothing doing except hold the power down for 4 seconds, or it dumps the desktop with an nVidia kernel error in the event log.

I'm running the latest drivers from nVidia, re-installed WOT, still random freezes.  Re-isntall the drivers, back dated the drivers, tried really old drivers, back to new drivers, even re-installed my OS.

Computer is fairly new, no problems in 7.5 or 8.0, only 8.1.

Only reliable solution so far is to switch back to the old rendering engine, which kinda sucks since it can't take advantage of the card.

So to re-iterate:  ONLY in the garage, and only with the new Rendering engine after 8.1 (New engine in 8.0 was fine) the game will randomly lock up.  sometimes it's fine for an hour or two, sometimes after 30 seconds of being in the game.

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing in the garage, but it's usually during a mouse over of a button, or when the screen would fade to black or see through.

I'm happy to upload any logs that could help shed light on this or run any sort of official debug software WG wants me to, I just want to have the nice rendering engine stable again!

Thanks.

I've submitted an official ticket for this.

Edited by MassiveHyperion, Nov 12 2012 - 03:10.

PrototypePegasus #2 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 03:10

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have no idea.

A_Defenseless_Kitten #3 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 03:20

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I hope 8.2 brings us rest on the fps before the new render system I used to get 128 fps on highest settings, now I get 30 to 60 on my desktop on med settings

turn vertical sync off see what happends

also having any 3D effects on video card settings can cause a mess

Edited by _____Captian_HotDog_____, Nov 12 2012 - 03:24.

AcesHighMDP #4 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 03:20

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Try activating vsync if you haven't. The render has no fps cap, so your GPU will try to render as many as it can. In garage, graphics load is very low so your GPU can render a lot of frames, which causes it to overheat.

SigfriedUnleashed #5 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 03:20

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
You should try reloading WoT. Or WoT might have a virus.

petersleepy #6 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 03:24

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAcesHighMDP, on Nov 12 2012 - 03:20, said:

Try activating vsync if you haven't. The render has no fps cap, so your GPU will try to render as many as it can. In garage, graphics load is very low so your GPU can render a lot of frames, which causes it to overheat.
Yes, try this. The garage tends to be a burn test, like furmark, which keeps your GPU load at 100%. When in garage, monitor your GPU temperature with msi afterburner, nvidia control panel, or whatever 3rd party program you use. If the temperature is getting too high, try turning on v-sync. If that doesn't work, underclock your GPU or improve your case ventilation.

View PostSigfriedUnleashed, on Nov 12 2012 - 03:20, said:

You should try reloading WoT. Or WoT might have a virus.
facepalm*

Wonderdownunder #7 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 03:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
See this post:
http://forum.worldof...aptop-crashing/
Very similar issues. No resolution offered.
You may be told the fault is with your machine as I was.
I am collecting similar post examples as I am not convinced.

petersleepy #8 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 03:42

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostWonderdownunder, on Nov 12 2012 - 03:25, said:

See this post:
well,for the most part is seems that some 5xx series Nvidia cards are having diplay drivers crash (your 580, multiple 560ti's). Seems like WoT is turning into WoW ^^
http://us.battle.net...opic/6489929606

Wonderdownunder #9 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 04:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Interesting. It does seem to be a very similar problem. Same crash, same cards, after an update.
Plenty of posters questioning the WoW code. Am I the only one questioning the WoT code??

petersleepy #10 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 04:22

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostWonderdownunder, on Nov 12 2012 - 04:03, said:

Interesting. It does seem to be a very similar problem. Same crash, same cards, after an update.
Plenty of posters questioning the WoW code. Am I the only one questioning the WoT code??
I question why they didn't implement multi-core yet -__- It's been around for long enough. If they decided to use something other than the bigworld engine, they could get multi-core D:

misscleo #11 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 05:12

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMassiveHyperion, on Nov 12 2012 - 03:05, said:

Title says it all.

Ever since 8.1, the game will randomly freeze, but ONLY in the garage.  These freezes come in two flavours.  Either a hard lock of the entire machine, nothing doing except hold the power down for 4 seconds, or it dumps the desktop with an nVidia kernel error in the event log.

I'm running the latest drivers from nVidia, re-installed WOT, still random freezes.  Re-isntall the drivers, back dated the drivers, tried really old drivers, back to new drivers, even re-installed my OS.

Computer is fairly new, no problems in 7.5 or 8.0, only 8.1.

Only reliable solution so far is to switch back to the old rendering engine
Can you gather some more data and include it in a post here?

-Dxdiag
-Python.log (C:\Games\World_of_Tanks by default; change format to txt to upload)
-Look in the Reliability Monitor (or event viewer) for the crash data for World of Tanks and nVidia (probably show up as Video Hardware Error), and copy paste the data into a post here. How to:
Spoiler                     
-Also if you want to, WER should of collected dump files for the nVidia errors, perhaps for World of Tanks as well, if you're running Vista/Win7. If you didn't submit the error reports to microsoft or "find a solution online" in the Action Center, you can can find them by searching for the dump filename referenced in the event log, or in the following folder: %PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue

Just put them in a zip and upload them to mediafire or some other host, and post the link here.

misscleo #12 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 05:12

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

Edited by misscleo, Nov 13 2012 - 11:17.

Wonderdownunder #13 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 05:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Not spammin', just watchin'

dough80 #14 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 10:05

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostWonderdownunder, on Nov 12 2012 - 03:25, said:

See this post:
great and i was about to sent a ticket only to get a reply that it is my problem huh

Wonderdownunder #15 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 10:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
They seem to assume their code is perfect and it must be everyone else's machines at fault. (unlikely)
Pretty sure it's a conflict with my Nvidia graphics card.
Best help I've had so far is here:

http://forum.worldof...client-crashes/

I followed these instructions and the game has improved some. I still get frequent crashes but at least I can play a game or two without a re-start.
Best I can hope for as they seem to have no idea what causes it. Have sent them all the reports they requested.
If they would just acknowledge they recognize the problem and are working on it....

dudumaster #16 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 17:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I might be wrong, but u should try downloading the MSI afterburner. This awesome App lets u control your VGA Card's Fan, clocks and voltages (in some cards). This helped a friend of mine. his computer was freezing or restarting every now and then, and fixed his issue. he uses a 465GTX. I know specs are all different but i think it worth a try. ;). If it helps you 2, don't forget to post the results here.

Oh almost forgot, this App also lets u use a Overlay with your VGA temps during gameplay, this way u can keep an eye on it at all times.

I forgot to mention, turn on the Auto Option for your fan and test it. it works different from the default settings from Nvidia.

Edited by dudumaster, Nov 13 2012 - 17:40.

petersleepy #17 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 00:56

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postdudumaster, on Nov 13 2012 - 17:39, said:

I might be wrong, but u should try downloading the MSI afterburner. This awesome App lets u control your VGA Card's Fan, clocks and voltages (in some cards). This helped a friend of mine. his computer was freezing or restarting every now and then, and fixed his issue. he uses a 465GTX. I know specs are all different but i think it worth a try. ;). If it helps you 2, don't forget to post the results here.

Oh almost forgot, this App also lets u use a Overlay with your VGA temps during gameplay, this way u can keep an eye on it at all times.

I forgot to mention, turn on the Auto Option for your fan and test it. it works different from the default settings from Nvidia.
Yup, I use msi afterburner for my 6950 and have customized profiles and I overlocked it with afterburner too :D So far, I haven't had a problem with it.

MassiveHyperion #18 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 04:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The tech support has had me run dxdiag and a special 'Wot_Check', both showing no errors.  They had me do a clean installation of the latest nVidia drivers and I had another crash, so I've gone back asking what else we can do.

I'll check out the MSI Afterburner since I can't see anywhere in the nVidia Control panel to monitor temperature.  I'll update after I play a few games and sit in the garage.  Also I'll play with vSync on and off and report back.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Wonderdownunder #19 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 04:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Tech support seem to be assuming there is something wrong with my machine too.

Here is their latest list of tinkering they want me to do with my machine:
Spoiler                     

Seems like a lot of work to do for a game.
Considering WoT is the only program or game that has any issues at all on my machine I remain sceptical.
I ran GPU-Z and measured the temperature while running WoT and it didn't get overly hot.
I'll try MSI Afterburner and try turning the fan up but I'm not that hopeful.

Remember...This ALL started with the 8.1 update, never had a problem before...with anything.
So I'm expecting the patch that fixes it. End of.
Anyone listening?

MassiveHyperion #20 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 06:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
So, turning on v-sync definitely slows the GPU down and keeps it cooler (55% utilization instead of 99%) while in the garage.  I experienced one game crash, but no hard locks after almost two hours, which is pretty good.

The event Log for the game crash:

Log Name:   System
Source: Display
Date:   13/11/2012 10:49:56 PM
Event ID:   4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:   Classic
User:   N/A
Computer:   Winter-PC
Description:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

They had me re-install the drivers as well, but not run sfc .  It seems like they are really grasping at straws here.

Edited by MassiveHyperion, Nov 14 2012 - 06:12.