Spectator mode

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Spectator mode (121 members have cast votes)

Spectator mode yes or no?

1. yes? (115 votes [95.04%])

Percentage of vote: 95.04%

2. No? (6 votes [4.96%])

Percentage of vote: 4.96%

Vote Hide poll

Bronzestout #1 Posted Nov 12 2012 - 05:27

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 2988 battles
  • [H-S-D] H-S-D
Farquad as someone who does a lot of world of tanks videos and have been watching MLG dallas and lonestar clash the past two weekends I think its time to ask when can we get a spectator mode for esports, I think its a little hard to show off your your esports match ups when you can really only show one tank at a time, unless you are streaming from each and every computer which means the announcer has no control over what they are looking at.

we don't really need a spectator mode on pub matches (maybe on replays that would be nice) but i think its too hard to do shoutcasting for world of tanks due to the fact you really only have one view. I know a few people do shoutcasting for the game but i still think its a little hard to do outside of having everyone on one team send replays, then record those replays then edit the replays together to make a video worth doing a cast for.

Please try to see if we can get this in by next year i think it would help the Esports grow for the game (I want to do shoutcasting for this and cant wait)

lord_farquad #2 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 19:52

Private

• Players
  • 15344 battles
Believe it or not, this is something we have been working on getting implemented for quite some time now. I would actually love to get a list of features the community think should be included in a good spectator mode (even UI design, scope, anything and everything you think it could include if it was perfect)... as this would help me in promoting this project within our team. I would also love it if we could get some feedback on the current spectator mode, especially the one used at WCG.   :Smile_honoring:

Allu_o7o7o7 #3 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 20:08

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 20112 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
You should only be able to spectate people in your clan, and between mutual friends.

I don't want to see people getting their friends to spectate someone on the other team and then ratting them out. Forward scouts for Arty is not something that this game needs.

Make sure, that unlike the Friendly Fire system, that there is no room at all for abuse.

Super_Salo7 #4 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 20:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17757 battles
a spectator should only be able to watch a player who approves this spectator.

this probably should be implements as an option in garage. For example if i want to watch my friend play i would go to his details and check box "ask for permission to watch his games", he then would get a notification and would be able to accept or decline. If accepted, next time i check his details i would be able to see if he is in a battle and if he is i would just click "watch the battle".

If i have multiple players in one battle that allowed me to watch them then i would be able to switch between them as long as they are on the same team as the original guy i chose to watch the battle. I should not be able to re-enter the same battle.

NO SPECTATOR COMMENTS SHOULD BE ALLOWED. Sorry for the caps but this is very important.

A good option to offer for spectators is an option to follow the players camera (arcade, sniper..) or rule the camera himself (again, arcade, sniper..).

FROMCANADAWITHLOVE #5 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 20:59

Captain

• Players
  • 18958 battles
  • [NUGGS] NUGGS
It should be like in BF1942, where you can just fly around the map wherever you want and watch from whatever angle you want.

From watching the cast's at the very least they need to show both sides at the same time.

Bronzestout #6 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 21:03

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 2988 battles
  • [H-S-D] H-S-D
I think almost full Starcraft 2 set up would be nice, no ability to type, having the ability to see both teams and do fly over while also being able to switch into a team view to see what that team can see. The ability to jump into a tank and allow the camera to be used how the player is using the camera or go free style and be on the tank but able to look around.

This gives the ability for commentary on whats going on around a certain tank. you can be on the specific tank your talking about and see what they are shooting at, then you can switch views to see if he can see the tank that is shooting at him. arty needs the ability to have the satellite view so you can see what they are shooting at also. the ability to switch teams helps in the fact you can talk about both teams and even talk about what rounds someones using, what health, how many rounds they have left, things of this nature so you can try to be a little better inside the head of the player whos tank they are talking about (i.e why did he just rush this tank? oh he was out of rounds and tried to do as much damage as possible)

Those are just some of my ideas, I think for an actual UI id have to sit down and draw one out that would look good so maybe i can work on drawing one up this week

weesh #7 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 22:14

Major

• Players
  • 9428 battles
  • [KIMBO] KIMBO
I've wanted this as well.
Spectators should be allowed to comment, but the players should not be able to see these comments.  This is how it typically works on chess and go servers.  
Spectators should ideally be able to choose the games they get into.  Criteria that we should see to help us decide is as follows:
  • Map/Battle type
  • Teir
  • Number of watchers
  • Current Score
  • Time remaining
Edit:

arty needs the ability to have the satellite view so you can see what they are shooting at also.
Watching arty in games where you are dead is boring.  I wouldn't mind being able to see the strategic view in regular games as well.

Edited by weesh, Nov 13 2012 - 22:19.

IndygoEEI #8 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 22:15

Major

• Players
  • 25194 battles
  • [PUPEH] PUPEH

View PostSuper_Salo7, on Nov 13 2012 - 20:44, said:

NO SPECTATOR COMMENTS SHOULD BE ALLOWED.

Agreed, but there should be a spectator chat channel for us.

Dukaan #9 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 22:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15457 battles
Allurai pretty much summed up my thoughts.
I do like the Idea.

Non_Serious_Player #10 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 23:00

Major

• Players
  • 19171 battles
  • [SSHF] SSHF
i think there should be a Platoon Chat Channel to communicate between the different platoons in a match (as in, separate from free chat, 4th chat mode), kinda like Platoon CB radio.

Lucyfur #11 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 23:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25716 battles
  • [RS] RS
Same clan only is the best likely rule to minimize spying for unfair advantage, but even that will be abusable, at least in tank companies, where members of the same clan may be on both sides of a battle.

Preventing abuse has to be the top priority, and if it cannot be reasonably minimized or absolutely prevented, then it shouldn't come in to tank companies.

Same-clan in clan wars battles is less prone to abuse, but there will be cases of people spying against their clan because they intend to leave it.

Driftin #12 Posted Nov 13 2012 - 23:47

Major

• Players
  • 21122 battles
This would be an interesting idea. Would be nice if you could switch between tanks for viewing or have the arty view mode option to get the bigger picture. Definitely needs a system to prevent cheating.

Super_Salo7 #13 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 00:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17757 battles

View PostIndygoEEI, on Nov 13 2012 - 22:15, said:

Agreed, but there should be a spectator chat channel for us.

Agree, but the players should not see that ;)

AbsoluteRoyal #14 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 00:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21439 battles

View Postlord_farquad, on Nov 13 2012 - 19:52, said:

Believe it or not, this is something we have been working on getting implemented for quite some time now. I would actually love to get a list of features the community think should be included in a good spectator mode (even UI design, scope, anything and everything you think it could include if it was perfect)... as this would help me in promoting this project within our team. I would also love it if we could get some feedback on the current spectator mode, especially the one used at WCG.   :Smile_honoring:

I think everybody is misinterpreting this. This is for E-Sports only. Not spectator mode in game

Bronzestout #15 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 00:58

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 2988 battles
  • [H-S-D] H-S-D

View PostAbsoluteRoyal, on Nov 14 2012 - 00:43, said:

I think everybody is misinterpreting this. This is for E-Sports only. Not spectator mode in game

They have stated it would be useful in pub matches as well, but one more addition to my original post, if they add this to war games, or pub matches, it needs to only be for replays, if its used in war games how hard would it be for someone to hop in see whats going on and relay that message through vent or mumble, and i just now thought of this, pushing esports and the replay system would help this along but on a live match could be a big exploit

trainednoob #16 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 01:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 16897 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Postlord_farquad, on Nov 13 2012 - 19:52, said:

Probably too much to ask for, but here's my suggestion:

Centralized team pages/management - essentially this would be like the clan system, but it only applies to tournaments. So as a captain you can manage your roster, team name, view tournament wins and overall team performance, and like clans, be able to add in tags and logos, etc. In addition to adding new features, it also could mean applying for a tourney is less painful - so instead of spamming everyone with the team page and password, you could just click on a new tourney, select the players from your roster and apply. Since we're talking about spectator mode in this thread, there could be something where people that are on a team's roster that aren't on the roster for a particular tournament can also spectate their team.

SilentDemise #17 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 02:08

Staff sergeant

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 39925 battles
  • [SG] SG
For non E_sport events a spectate mode would be great for those in clan wars who are not picked for the battle to be able to spectate the battle. For clan wars the normal after death mode where you can switch between ally tanks on your screen is fine for spectators. Also spectators should be listed in game for active players.

For tournaments extra players really should be able to spectate your team only. For a shout caster he should have the ability to see both sides or only one sides vision at will. A shout caster should only be granted the shout caster level of spectate only if both teams agree to it. Also there should be an option for live or time delayed for the shout caster's spectate mode that can be voted on by the participating teams. For shout caster spectate mode I would like to see the ability to not only follow other tanks but to be able to switch to player view(like you can in replays), free flight camera view, and a full screen map that the shout caster can draw on.

Conflict #18 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 17:30

Captain

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 12194 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostSuper_Salo7, on Nov 13 2012 - 20:44, said:

a spectator should only be able to watch a player who approves this spectator.

this probably should be implements as an option in garage. For example if i want to watch my friend play i would go to his details and check box "ask for permission to watch his games", he then would get a notification and would be able to accept or decline. If accepted, next time i check his details i would be able to see if he is in a battle and if he is i would just click "watch the battle".

If i have multiple players in one battle that allowed me to watch them then i would be able to switch between them as long as they are on the same team as the original guy i chose to watch the battle. I should not be able to re-enter the same battle.

NO SPECTATOR COMMENTS SHOULD BE ALLOWED. Sorry for the caps but this is very important.

A good option to offer for spectators is an option to follow the players camera (arcade, sniper..) or rule the camera himself (again, arcade, sniper..).

The player should be the one inviting people.

Also, with regard to people suggesting that anyone can see anything, that's horrible and you should be ashamed.

ScoutCub #19 Posted Dec 13 2012 - 21:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17352 battles
  • [REL_2] REL_2
I want this to apply to replays also.  If you want to be a true eSport, you have to give people the ability to watch replays from an overall view.  Looks at StarCraft 2.  Lots of casters out there reviewing replays.  If you want to build an audience, it cannot just be live, that is not the world we live in.

Perfect world, replays stop being one player only, and start showing everything that is going on.  And the viewer can follow a tank, or free fly over the battle.

KingRiderBR #20 Posted Jan 29 2013 - 04:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21379 battles
  • [-GO-] -GO-
i like much a watching spectator mode just clan to cw and/or tournament =/