Spectator mode

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Spectator mode (121 members have cast votes)

Spectator mode yes or no?

1. yes? (115 votes [95.04%])

Percentage of vote: 95.04%

2. No? (6 votes [4.96%])

Percentage of vote: 4.96%

Vote Hide poll

Beerstein #21 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 03:01

Major

• Players
  • 15883 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I'd like it if people in special battles could spectate their team (as long as they're in when it starts) this could also lead to battle callers outside a tank so they wouldn't be distracted from tanking while commanding.

Firecyde #22 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 08:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 40216 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostBeerstein, on Feb 10 2013 - 03:01, said:

I'd like it if people in special battles could spectate their team (as long as they're in when it starts) this could also lead to battle callers outside a tank so they wouldn't be distracted from tanking while commanding.

Exactly what I think they need to try and avoid, I think if this allowed to come into play you will take away from FCs that can play at 100% whilst calling (something that I always have problems with). Just saying that it will come down to FCs not playing a tank at all. Which as a mediocre FC  would hate not being able to actually play.

Beerstein #23 Posted Feb 11 2013 - 02:44

Major

• Players
  • 15883 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I'm the opposite I just don't think it makes sense to have the FC on the battlefield.

ScoutCub #24 Posted Feb 15 2013 - 16:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17103 battles
  • [REL_2] REL_2
I don't know about live spectator.  It might be nice, but I do not see it being a major requirement for the success of Esports.  I think you should focus on the replay system.  Let us face it, without Youtube, there will be no real commentary.  We do not live in an age where people watch this stuff live on the internet for the most part.  Sure, you will get the people that are at the right place at the right time to watch, but come on.  Very few people are going to plan their schedule for this type of thing.  Hell, people do not plan their schedules for prime time TV anymore.

For this experiment to take hold, and improve the community, the replay system needs to be unlocked and untethered.  You have to give commentators that are going to watch a replay the ability to see what is going on and comment on the play after the fact.  "See what this E100 is doing here?  He is getting bounces by keeping the angle on his side high and hiding is front plate...  Oh look!  This Batty is trying to get him, but he has no clue this E5 is covering!" etc.  Without that ability, this is just a bunch of crap wishful thinking.

Would you watch a football game if the only POV you had was from a single players helmet?  Of course not, the fun is seeing everything that is going on from the big picture.  The same applies here.  Without the ability to do analysis on the play, you will never get a consistent following on youtube, which is where interest will be built.  Again, look at StarCraft...  Major personalities doing color commentary and analysis. That is what keeps people coming back.

Events are great, but we would also need the ability to look at everything from CW replays to Pub Matches.

The model to follow is out there.  If you try to reinvent the wheel, well...  That never goes well does it?

kaobang_cotp #25 Posted Feb 15 2013 - 17:26

Private

• Players
  • 14614 battles
  • [REL_2] REL_2
Imo, spectator option is really needed both e-sport and CW (clan only, different chat).
SC/SC2 is a very good example.