ASAP #5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

Mieter #81 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 04:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2961 battles
  • [KNG_H] KNG_H
Well, it seems that there are players who can magically make more than 30K shooting only gold ammo on T8-10, and there are players who can't get crap on the same tiers. I wonder if there's a difference in their accounts' levels... (premium v. standard)

In my experiences, through the matches i played since the ammo change (agreed, not more than 200), I have never noticed that everybody is shooting them. Maybe I got lucky. The only time I heard somebody getting angry was because the fella who shot him supposedly had gold ammo... of course the gold ammo is the one to blame when you die in the first 3 minutes, without a single kill.

And I dunno if you guys noticed or not, but some gold ammo involves improved penetration at slightly lower damage... plus:
"7.5 made APCR shells the standard ammunition used by the new tier 10 medium tanks. They cannot use AP ammo at all, and instead can purchase this ammo using credits rather than gold."

So let's yell at T10 meds for spamming us with 'gold' ammo?

Edited by Mieter, Nov 14 2012 - 15:52.

KiwiMark67 #82 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 04:19

Major

• Players
  • 37966 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL

View PostSnowNinja, on Nov 14 2012 - 02:20, said:

Partly empty rack reduces change of ammo rack explosions, as one of the loading screen tips points out.

That isn't true and that isn't what the loading screen tip says!
It says that an empty rack wont detonate and what that means is that if you have just 1 shell left you can suffer an ammo rack detonation but if you are completely out of ammunition then you can't.

There has never been any tip or any information at all that a partly empty ammo rack has less chance of exploding, mainly because that isn't even the slightest bit true.

techjr #83 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 04:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2227 battles

View PostSnowNinja, on Nov 14 2012 - 02:20, said:

No. I almost never load ammo rack 100% full [even with silver rounds, and certainly not gold rounds!].

Partly empty rack reduces change of ammo rack explosions, as one of the loading screen tips points out.

I don't think i have ever used all my ammo in one battle, so why carry extra explosives that you don't need?

I just looked at the tips inside the WOT client and this is the only one I could find close to what you are talking about and it doesn't say anything about being partly empty or not being 100% full. Here is what it says

msgstr "Detonation of the ammo rack is not dependent on a shell type. An empty ammo rack does not explode."

Also, why not carry all of your ammo in a single battle? If you don't use it, it won't cost you anything so there really isn't any harm to it. I haven't been ammo racked in quite awhile too carrying 100% all of the time.

Edited by techjr, Nov 14 2012 - 04:49.

Mother_Animal #84 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 11:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14087 battles
  • [REL-V] REL-V
IMHO, gold rounds for silver is a step forward as it finishes the "pay to win" rant. The next step forward will be to remove the bloody gold rounds once and for all from this game. Wanna pen? Learn it.

theredbaronisback #85 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 13:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 2806 battles
  • [BAYOU] BAYOU

View Post123zorn, on Nov 13 2012 - 15:42, said:

I fail to see how a 20% increase in pen is a 'few extra points', for many rounds it is this or more in the case of derp guns.  In many instances it means 0% chance of inflicting damage vs. a near 100% chance of inflicting damage.  This is a pretty big spread, nothing else has a spead like this in the game.  Only angle really matters now as bounce is the new armor.

If you drove only tanks that can be regularly penned, then congrats as you have just benefitted from this move.  If you drive some tanks that depend upon armor thickness for some of their benefit, then those tanks have just been substantially nerfed.

I beg to differ. In MANY tanks the guns are as accurate as a T1. This makes it a waste of money in most cases, expecially in Random Battles.

GSgtSwagger #86 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 15:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11861 battles
  • [ADB] ADB
Dev1- There is a lot of arty in high tier battles! How we will fix it?

Serb/Dev2- Let's limit the amount of scouts per team....

Russian/WarGaming logic....

Mieter #87 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 15:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2961 battles
  • [KNG_H] KNG_H
Swagger: exactly. That was one part of the interview where I had this "wtfjusthappened?" expression on my face.

EDIT: In times like these I wonder if they play the same game in Mother Russia.

Edited by Mieter, Nov 14 2012 - 15:57.

VonBrown #88 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 16:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14656 battles
Last night I loaded up gold on my T-54 with the new gun and did 6133 damage. I fired 23 shots, had 22 direct hits, penned for full damage on 21. I lost approx 40,000 credits from the battle. Basically a game in one of my tier 8 premium tanks pays to use gold exclusively in 2 matches. Just using as needed and one game in my prem pays for 10 with gold.

aceaceaceaceace #89 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 23:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5066 battles
  • [MAD1S] MAD1S
but what about us players that didnt get the tutorial :Smile_confused:  :Smile_confused:  :Smile_confused:  :Smile_confused:  :Smile_confused:  :Smile_confused:  :Smile_confused:  :Smile_confused:  :Smile_confused:

Kmaster43 #90 Posted Nov 15 2012 - 03:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13388 battles
  • [HHL] HHL
Just limit the number of arty. That's all we want to hear.

MilesMilitis #91 Posted Nov 15 2012 - 19:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 9774 battles
  • [-NA-] -NA-
For the to many arty tanks, i think a limit of 3 or 4 max. Thats pushing it even though. In those battles all it takes is the arty to focus on one tank at a time and then by the time you know it the enemy team (or your team) is dead.

Edited by MilesMilitis, Nov 15 2012 - 19:32.

IndygoEEI #92 Posted Nov 15 2012 - 20:54

Major

• Players
  • 24202 battles
  • [PUPEH] PUPEH

View PostNutrientibusMeaGallus, on Nov 13 2012 - 17:21, said:

They need to balance a lot. Being put into games where even from behind/below and above where you can't penetrate their armor to damage them without gold rounds, there is NO fun in that. Getting one shotted by someone with gold rounds isn't fun either, except for the person shooting them. From a newer player's point of view, if you say something like this and only get crapped on by elitists saying learn to play etc, that's not constructive, and won't bring you new players either. (And to the guy that insulted my deceased mother last night, I hope you get banned entirely you petty piece of human garbage.) Even going from tier to tier needs to be better balanced, it's a cake walk getting elite tanks all the way up to tier 4, then it's like hitting a brick wall. You see that hill and lose the will to play entirely, and feel like you just got suckered in JUST far enough to not drop playing entirely.

Stop aiming at stuff that will autobounce.

GSgtSwagger #93 Posted Nov 15 2012 - 22:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11861 battles
  • [ADB] ADB

View PostNutrientibusMeaGallus, on Nov 13 2012 - 17:21, said:

They need to balance a lot. Being put into games where even from behind/below and above where you can't penetrate their armor to damage them without gold rounds, there is NO fun in that. Getting one shotted by someone with gold rounds isn't fun either, except for the person shooting them. From a newer player's point of view, if you say something like this and only get crapped on by elitists saying learn to play etc, that's not constructive, and won't bring you new players either. (And to the guy that insulted my deceased mother last night, I hope you get banned entirely you petty piece of human garbage.) Even going from tier to tier needs to be better balanced, it's a cake walk getting elite tanks all the way up to tier 4, then it's like hitting a brick wall. You see that hill and lose the will to play entirely, and feel like you just got suckered in JUST far enough to not drop playing entirely.

Learn to aim man. I never used gold rounds, and i have 3 tier 10 and various tier 5+ tanks. There are a lot of guides that will help you to understand how the penetration mechanics works in this game. Also, if you can not penetrate a specific tank, search it in the wiki and learn about it (armor, speed, weakspots, reload time, etc), it will help you a lot when you fight against it.

The only difference between standard AP rounds and gold rounds is the penetration value. If that tank one-shooted you with gold, he will be able to one-shot you with silver rounds

123zorn #94 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 02:35

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29681 battles

View Posttheredbaronisback, on Nov 14 2012 - 13:38, said:

I beg to differ. In MANY tanks the guns are as accurate as a T1. This makes it a waste of money in most cases, expecially in Random Battles.

Umm, What?

Pen from gold does help.  Try penning a Maus frontally with stock shells from an SP.  I can do it with gold, I cannot with stock.  Same with ST-1, having gold shells does not mean autopen, but it does mean that you can now pen if you can aim properly.

Now does this mean that the gun was imbalanced or the armor was imbalanced or the tank was inappropriately tiered?  It can be called multiple ways.  In any instance, mass use of gold rounds has made armor thickness virtually irrelevant for those that can aim.  It has made it even easier for those that can aim.

I want gold shells gone.  Since that is not likely to happen, the next best thing is to make gold shells at least as costly as they once were.  Right now, I can run my premium tanks all day shooting gold when I want to and make money, not hand over fist like without gold use, but I can make an easy 300K per afternoon shooting all the gold rounds I want.  This is just crazy and makes this game a point and shoot and pen arcade...

This is not good for the future of the game or for the success of WG's future efforts in the marketplace.  Take note of this WG, I spent real cash on this game and this particular issue is likely to end that on my part and will make it very unlikely that I will partake of your future offerings.

Edited by 123zorn, Nov 16 2012 - 02:39.

123zorn #95 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 03:03

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29681 battles

View PostErwin_Fox, on Nov 13 2012 - 23:26, said:

I have not seen that the increase of gold rounds in pubs has affected the games. And if the players do spam gold ammo then they will be footing a huge ammo bill at the end of the battle, and they will only be able to do that a few times...

Then I do not believe that you have played much in mid-high tier battles.  The number of PzIV and M4's slinging gold is pretty amazing.  Try running a Maus, T95, ST-1, T110, or E75 and see if you get penned reguarly from the front.  It happens all the time now.

Since 8.1 I shoot gold rounds all the time, every single time that I may gain an advantage from it.  I am several hundred battles into this and have more money now than when 8.1 came out by several million silver.  I will not be running out of cash anytime soon unless its because I am buying a few more tier 10s in the next couple of days...  The idea that silver will limit gold round use is utterly false, particularly so for those with premium accounts and premium tanks.

This practice that WG so unwisely began now extends real in game advantages to premium account holders with premium tanks.  There are a LARGE number of these players, so these guys (and I am one) will be slinging gold in every instance where it is advantageous to do so.  There is literally NO limit to my use of gold rounds.  I, and MANY others, will have no issue with silver generation even when shooting gold regularly.  Even though I benefit from this change, it is the wrong thing for the game.  It cheapens the game and reduces the challenge.  It removes armor thickness as a factor in tank design when every single tank in a match can and will pen you regardless of their tier.  There are even T62 drivers talking about how now they can clearly pen in tier 10 games, a scout tank!  This is crazy!  Why have armor if it has no practical effect?

Edited by 123zorn, Nov 16 2012 - 15:07.

BDNeon #96 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 09:21

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17037 battles
  • [-BNP-] -BNP-

View PostChaosRain, on Nov 13 2012 - 13:40, said:

Holy crap, I want to see more of that pre-rendered T95 footage.

It's from the World of Tanks Gamescom 2011 trailer.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=47ydxe5bDYE

KiwiMark67 #97 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 11:24

Major

• Players
  • 37966 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL
I've been thinking about that question asking about what happens if a tank over-performs because a lot of players use premium ammo and the answer was that they would be nerfed if they are performing too well.  The thing that bothers me is that a tank nerfed because of how well it does with premium ammo will badly under-perform with standard ammo, this could make some tanks rather horrible for anyone that doesn't use premium ammo.

The thing is that I don't want to be forced into using premium ammo, that stuff is expensive and it drastically eats into my pool of credits.
Sure I'll carry a few premium rounds for when the entire game is riding on my penning a tough target, but for the most part I'd rather fire standard ammo and make a profit from the battle.

123zorn #98 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 14:55

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29681 battles

View PostKiwiMark67, on Nov 16 2012 - 11:24, said:

I've been thinking about that question asking about what happens if a tank over-performs because a lot of players use premium ammo and the answer was that they would be nerfed if they are performing too well.  The thing that bothers me is that a tank nerfed because of how well it does with premium ammo will badly under-perform with standard ammo, this could make some tanks rather horrible for anyone that doesn't use premium ammo.

The thing is that I don't want to be forced into using premium ammo, that stuff is expensive and it drastically eats into my pool of credits.
Sure I'll carry a few premium rounds for when the entire game is riding on my penning a tough target, but for the most part I'd rather fire standard ammo and make a profit from the battle.

This is exactly why gold rounds used to cost real money.  If you really cared a LOT about wins, yes you could part with a fairly hefty amount of real cash to get a periodic small enhancement to perhaps change the outcome of the individual game.  But the very few times that this happened, did not change the general balance of the overall game.  Now, gold round use is rampant.  The thickness of armor is literally of no concern, particularly to those players with premium accounts and premium tanks, as they will shoot as many gold rounds as needed, whenever needed.  This makes slow, heavily armored tanks (generally affecting German, some US, and in particular higher tier tanks most) far less playable and honestly far less fun as whatever advantages that these tanks had has now just been virtually wiped out.  Gold will always be slung at me when I play my T95, T28, Maus, E100, ST-1, IS-7, T110, or IS-4 and I expect that it will be the case when I get the E3 and E4 in the next couple of days as well.

Is the goal of WG to make getting high tier tanks (particularly the heavy lines) less interesting/desireable?  Because this is the effect...

Edited by 123zorn, Nov 16 2012 - 14:56.

Mother_Animal #99 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 11:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14087 battles
  • [REL-V] REL-V
Really hope WG listens to you, 123zorn... +1.