game tuning question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

hold_em_53 #1 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 20:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 11154 battles
I have just upgraded my PC - a nice new gaming rig.  Actually, hardly have anything else installed on it...tons of memory (4) four gig sticks...beefy video card...etc etc

whenever i start the game up, I hear the hard drives going quite a bit - throughout the whole game.  Nothing else is running (like an antivirus scan or whatever).  As soon as I leave the game, the hard drive activity stops.  So I proven to myself it's game related.  What I don't understand is why the hard activity?  Presuming it's a lot of read activity, what is it and is there a setting or parameter I can change to calm it down?  The only other thing I could think of is some Windows activity associated with the game, but I have no idea what that would be.  If it was some sort of write activity to a log file...then that seems like a lot of I/O to me.  I don't think that this matters, but just in case, I am running the AIOmod 8.0 (KVM lite).  I don't remember this high I/O on my previous PC, but graphics are on high now etc, so some things are set differently (my older PC had to be on bare bones graphics since the 8.0 patch).

I was kind of hoping that there might be some buffer parameter or memory parameter somewhere that could tell the game (or windows) to make more use of my memory and cut the I/O down.

Jeff

PS: these new drives have a kind of annoying pitch sound to them when they are in use, so I was hoping to reduce it for that reason (other than turning up the combat volume to drown them out lol.

Misfire42 #2 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 20:35

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 7812 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
Are you sure it's the hard drive and not the fan or something else? I've never noticed hearing an HD, but that might just be me not noticing/realizing what it is. WoT doesn't make my laptop make noise, either.

Edited by Misfire42, Nov 14 2012 - 20:36.

googliamoog #3 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 20:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23800 battles
  • [H8TE] H8TE
also are you recording your games?  maybe turn off the record feature see if that helps?

hold_em_53 #4 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 21:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 11154 battles
"enable battle recording" is not checked...but good thought.

It is for sure the HDD - I took the side panels off and as soon as I go into the game I can start hearing them being hit pretty hard....

Sollus #5 Posted Nov 14 2012 - 22:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11901 battles
It's your video card's fan. Trust me.

I have a GXT 470 and ever since 8.0 and the new rendering engine it's been laboring when the game runs, even in the garage.

I can't think of anything that would make your hard drives spin up and stay spinning unless you have some sort of RAM drive set up.

hold_em_53 #6 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 03:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 11154 battles
i'm going to stick my ear/head near these drives to prove to myself it's the drive...in case you are correct.  I don't "think" it's the video card - s/b beefy enough since I think I actually overbought for today's needs (GT630).  I was hoping for some sort of cache setting or something to adjust how memory is used with the game or whatever.  Otherwise, I think that there's not much I can do, unless I could figure out what files are being hit (if I'm correct) and put up a RAM disk.../shrug/...grasping at straws now.  If it IS the video card, then I'm going to be very disappointed lol.

Lazar_Lyusternik #7 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 03:43

Captain

• Players
  • 7036 battles

View Posthold_em_53, on Nov 16 2012 - 03:41, said:

i'm going to stick my ear/head near these drives to prove to myself it's the drive...in case you are correct.  I don't "think" it's the video card - s/b beefy enough since I think I actually overbought for today's needs (GT630).  I was hoping for some sort of cache setting or something to adjust how memory is used with the game or whatever.  Otherwise, I think that there's not much I can do, unless I could figure out what files are being hit (if I'm correct) and put up a RAM disk.../shrug/...grasping at straws now.  If it IS the video card, then I'm going to be very disappointed lol.
It shouldn't be writing to the hard drive. It should be writing to the RAM... how much did you have? Also, is this a 32-bit or 64-bit system?

hold_em_53 #8 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 13:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 11154 battles
ok - first - /head slap/ I typed in the wrong video card - brain cramp - the GT630 (hardly a premium card) was for my other (non-gaming PC).  This system is running a GTX660ti.  However, I can tell Sollus he's wrong.  BUT - if I could play a WoT voice sound effect, I'd play "that was close!" to his reply.  After further investigation, his comment got me thinking and it turns out it's NOT the hard drives like I thought I kept hearing.  It's the power supply fan.  I would have bet money it was the HDD from how it sounded...very deceiving.  I'm relieved (that my HDD are not getting hammered like I thought that they were), and now am going to resolve my noisy fan on the power supply.

Thanks for the replies and the point in the right direction Sollus.

Jeff

Whisky_A_Go_Go #9 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 14:42

Captain

• Players
  • 9708 battles
First off, if you're actually hearing your hard drive, you probably bought a system at least 10 years old and it is NOT a gaming rig. It would help if you told us exactly what it is you have. It is far more likely that you're hearing fans, but if that's the case and you're hearing them the instant the game starts up, then again...you DO NOT have a gaming rig. You either bought some out of date dinosaur or a laptop. Or both.

hold_em_53 #10 Posted Nov 16 2012 - 22:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 11154 battles
turns out it's a problem with the corsair power supply.  I replaced the PS today with a new unit and had the same dam problem.  So, I called Corsair tech support and learned that it's a known problem with the GS600 gamer series.  I submitted a RMA and they are doing a free upgrade to a different power supply that doesn't have this known, annoying sound.  The strange sounds I was hearing kindof sounded like a hard drive being hammered with I/O - but as I said a couple posts above, that was just an illusion/echo/whatever.