Navy's complete weakspot guide for lower tiers.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

NavySnipers #1 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 03:53

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Sadukar made a great thread on weaspots, but he only covered tier 7-10. This thread will cover tiers 3 through 6.

First off, you need to know more on shooting. Never use auto-aim. I equate auto-aim to auto-bounce. I was in a battle in my VK3601 the other day, and an enemy 3601 was shooting at me. He was quickly peaking around a corner, firing, and returning. After doing this 2-3 times, he poked out for a for a few seconds, fired, and penetrated me. It was clear he took off auto-aim and manually aimed at me. Either this, or he took more time for his dispersion circle to get smaller, helping him hit more accurately.

Some key abbreviations:

MG - Machine gun port. Looks like this:

http://img268.images...5/frontring.jpg

LFP - Lower front plate. This area (The one riddle with shells):

http://img.photobuck...ein/fv215_1.png

UFP: Upper front plate. The area above the LFP.

Cupola: Also known as the commanders hatch, it is located on the top of the turret/tank. Here is an example:

http://the.shadock.f...4A4T_cupola.JPG

There are special weakspot cases for spaced armor. These are where "No damage penetrations" occur. Spaced armor is basically "two-staged armor". Your shell goes through one layer, loses an exponential amount of speed, and attempts to penetrate the second layer. By this point it usually loses too much energy, and fails to penetrate the final layer.

Tracks can absorb shots. If you shoot a thick track, it will usually cause a "No damage penetration". Aim below the treads on solid armor, and you will probably penetrate.

Rules of thumb:

- LFP and cupolas are almost always weakspots.

- For shooting angled tanks, use the following advice:

Shoot closer to the front of the tank:

http://img854.images.../563/angler.jpg

Note in the above example, that if the enemy shell impacted closer to the thicker armor, that the angle on the side would be closer to 90o, making the relative thickness much less. For more on armor angling, read this guide

Anyway, I will now go through the different tanks that need an explanation. I will archive it by nation and vehicle type (Light tanks, and SPGs are excluded, because if you bounce these tanks, I suggest you kindly stop playing for the sake of the rest of the playerbase):

USSR:

Heavy tanks:

KV-1: This tank has a great frontal slope that will bounce anything of its tier. Shoot the LFP if you can, or shoot the MG port. The MG port is a weakspot on all KV hulled tanks.

Here's a general armor layout of KV hulls:

http://guides.gamepr...d/457061890.jpg

Red - autobounce
Yellow - Weakspot
Green - very weak spot.

Churchill: Shoot the turret. The turret is a huge flat surface, and it only has 89mm of armor.

T-150: Same as KV-1

KV-2: Same as KV-1

KV-1S: LFP, MG port, but this tank also has a large cupola.

Medium tanks:

T-28: Shouldn't need a description. The entire tank is a weakspot. Don't shoot the turret, and you'll be fine.

T-34: MG port and cupola are the best weak spots. If you have side shots, shoot near the engine, because this tank is a firetrap.

T-34-85: LFP, cupola, or MG port.

TD's:

SU-85b: Shoot on either side of the gun port, or the LFP. The UFP can be penned, but it still is at a nice slope, so best play it safe.

SU-85: LFP, or to the right of the gun on the drivers viewport.

SU-100: Same as SU-85, only I recommend shooting the LFP more often.

American tanks:

Heavy tanks:

T1 HT: Shoot above the UFP on the MG port, or drivers port.

M6: Same as T1 HT

Medium tanks:

Just as a general note, these tanks tend to have very strong LFP's.

M3 Lee: I recommend shooting the little turret. It's one of the flatter surfaces on the tank.

M4 Sherman: The LFP is thick, shoot the MG port on the UFP.

M4A3E8: The LFP is actually pretty thick. I find it's easier to pen the UFP, but not too close to the LFP. The MG port is also a good weakspot.

M4A3E2: MG port is really the only weakspot on the front of this tank unless you have a powerful gun that can slam through it's thick sloped armor.

M7 MT: Shouldn't need help penning this tank.

TD's:

T40: Either side of the gun port.

M8A1: UFP is weak, and I doubt you'll ever bounce it. Don't shoot the turret.

T49: Weak armor, don't shoot the turret or tracks, and you'll be fine.

M18: Same as the T49.

M10 Wolverine: Never shoot the turret. The LFP is also pretty thick. I recommend the same advice as the Sherman.

M36 slugger: Same as M10

SPECIAL NOTE:

SPG's:

M7 Priest: The LFP is 100mm. Never shoot it on the LFP. Shoot on either side of the gun.

French tanks:

Heavy tanks:

B1: Shoot this tank above the UFP slope. Just below the turret, but above the steep UFP slope. The 75mm hull howitzer on the front is also a weakspot.

BDR-G1B: Anywhere that isn't on the frontal armor slope.

ARL-44: Shoot the LFP, and (I think) the turret sides.

Medium tanks:

AMX 40: Shoot this tank on the sides, rear, cupola or the LFP.

TD's:

S-35CA - Shoot this tank on the LFP, or on either side of the gun. If you shoot near the gun, make sure you don't shoot too far on either side of it, or else you'll hit the highly sloped side armor.

ARL-V39: This tank is pretty week, but I suggest shooting the cupola for the best chance of a penetrating hit.

German tanks:

Heavy tanks:

PzKpfw B2: Same as B1 on the french line.

Medium tanks:

PzKpfw IV (PzIV): This tank is special. For frontal armor weakspots, shoot above the Steep UFP slope, or just below it. Note that the turret has spaced armor all around it, except for a small opening on each side. Shooting the spaced armor will cause a no damage penetration, but you will penetrate the turret through these openings. I once landed an M4 sherman derp shot through those openings for 350+ damage. It was glorious.  :Smile_veryhappy:

PzIII/IV: Same as the PzIV, only the turret on this tank lacks spaced armor.

VK3001P: Shoot the flat armor above the UFP, or the LFP. I don't recommend shooting the turret, but if you have to, shoot the cupola.

VK3001H: Never shoot the veider turret, cupola or not. I suggest shooting the LFP, or the flat plate above the UFP slope.

VK3601H: This tank is relatively tricky. The frontal armor is very thick for a medium tank. I suggest shooting the LFP., but if you have to shoot the UFP, shoot the Machine gun port. If you shoot low enough on the LFP, you might even catch it on fire. Note the frontal weaknesses:

http://www.wotdb.inf...y-VK3601H/1.jpg

TD's:

Hetzer: The hetzer has nicely sloped armor, so I recommend shooting the LFP if you can. Never ever shoot the gun mantlet.

Stug III: LFP. The UFP has a very nice slope. Either shoot the LFP, or shoot the cupola.

JagdPzIV: Same as stug III, only it lacks a cupola, so almost always shoot the LFP.

British tanks:

Heavy tanks:

Churchill I: With the stock turret, shoot the hull on the MG port. With the upgraded turret, it loses about 20mm of armor, so you can easily hit that 80mm metal chunk.

Churchill VII: shoot the stock turret. the upgraded turret has 152mm of armor. Stay away from it. I believe it also has an MG port.

Medium tanks:

Valentine: Don't shoot the frontal slope. hit the flat face above the frontal slope.

Matilda: same as valentine

Cromwell. It has flat weak frontal armor. Don't shoot the tracks.

Special note for lights: I recommend you aim well at these little buggers, as their tracks absorb a lot of shells.

I sincerely hope this helps people who are working on learning weakspots. Shooting weakspots is one of the most crucial factors in carrying a team. Most matches are one by killing the enemy team. Killing enemy is achieved by damage, damage is achieved shooting weakspots. Therefore, most matches are won by shooting weakspots. The logic is inescapable.

ysoignorant #2 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 03:54

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
KV-1: Shoot the tow shackles. It's the softest part of LFP. ; )

KV-2, T-150, KV-3, KV-4, and KV-5 all follow suit.

Aquavolt #3 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:00

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 0 battles
Thank you Navy for another fantastic thread, and post.

+1

PangXieGe #4 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Nice thread, just goes to remind me how bad a low tier player I am  :Smile_blinky:

Diacom #5 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Plus 1 for ya, but beings you included some key abbreviations, please edit for MG as not all new players will know what your talking about.

Otherwise, quite well done.

NavySnipers #6 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:06

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDiacom, on Nov 19 2012 - 04:05, said:

Plus 1 for ya, but beings you included some key abbreviations, please edit for MG as not all new players will know what your talking about.

Otherwise, quite well done.

Thanks. forgot that one.

ysoignorant #7 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:09

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Here ya are buddy. This one's the one people ALWAYS complain about. Can't do it too well with a laptop's touch pad. :/

Posted Image

Edited by ysoignorant, Nov 19 2012 - 04:10.

NavySnipers #8 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:15

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Can't believe I forgot the entire British section. I added that, along with Russian churchill.

NavySnipers #9 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:18

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postysoignorant, on Nov 19 2012 - 04:09, said:

Here ya are buddy. This one's the one people ALWAYS complain about. Can't do it too well with a laptop's touch pad. :/

Posted Image

Here's a more general picture:

Green being very weak spots, yellow being weak, but not as weak as green. Red is autobounce.

DoubleEagle4126 #10 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postysoignorant, on Nov 19 2012 - 03:54, said:

KV-1: Shoot the tow shackles. It's the softest part of LFP. ; )

KV-2, T-150, KV-3, KV-4, and KV-5 all follow suit.

Why mess around with the shackles of the KV-5 wen you can hit the huge R2D2.

NavySnipers #11 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:22

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDoubleEagle4126, on Nov 19 2012 - 04:19, said:

You can't hit the huge R2D2 if he's hiding it.  :Smile_blinky:

ysoignorant #12 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 04:23

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostNavySnipers, on Nov 19 2012 - 04:18, said:

Here's a more general picture:

Green being very weak spots, yellow being weak, but not as weak as green. Red is autobounce.

The shackles are even weaker. I promise. My T14 with pre-KV-1's agrees.

View PostDoubleEagle4126, on Nov 19 2012 - 04:19, said:

because they call be a hacker when I penetrate there. ; )

Edited by ysoignorant, Nov 19 2012 - 04:23.

NavySnipers #13 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 13:18

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postysoignorant, on Nov 19 2012 - 04:23, said:

The shackles are even weaker. I promise. My T14 with pre-KV-1's agrees.

because they call be a hacker when I penetrate there. ; )

What makes them weaker than the center?

NavySnipers #14 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 16:21

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAquavolt, on Nov 19 2012 - 04:00, said:

Thank you Navy for another fantastic thread, and post.

+1

You're welcome!

Humbug01 #15 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 20:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I add my thanks too, Navy. Very helpful.

I'm a little surprised about the Churchill's turret being a weak spot, but my own experience shooting them with my T1 HT bears this out. This is the kind of thing where knowing the places to shoot an opponent really helps your game play as you move along in WOT.

Isn't there also a crew (?) hatch on the Churchill's right front that is a goot place to shoot if you're in a face off? Or is that the new Churchill I?

NavySnipers #16 Posted Nov 19 2012 - 22:31

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostHumbug01, on Nov 19 2012 - 20:21, said:

I add my thanks too, Navy. Very helpful.

I'm a little surprised about the Churchill's turret being a weak spot, but my own experience shooting them with my T1 HT bears this out. This is the kind of thing where knowing the places to shoot an opponent really helps your game play as you move along in WOT.

Isn't there also a crew (?) hatch on the Churchill's right front that is a goot place to shoot if you're in a face off? Or is that the new Churchill I?

I'm not sure if it has a crew hatch or not, but even if it does, I think the turret is a better place to shoot because it's a bigger area.

Fuzzyrag #17 Posted Nov 22 2012 - 20:03

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Should mention on the ARL V39, the little bubble turret on top will get penned by anything, I don't think it ever bounced a shot the entire time I drove the tank.

Archimedes #18 Posted Nov 23 2012 - 04:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Very nicely done...too bad those that need it most won't read it.

NavySnipers #19 Posted Nov 23 2012 - 19:07

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostFuzzyrag, on Nov 22 2012 - 20:03, said:

Should mention on the ARL V39, the little bubble turret on top will get penned by anything, I don't think it ever bounced a shot the entire time I drove the tank.

I had previously mentioned the cupola.

Dinobrownie #20 Posted Nov 24 2012 - 02:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
For French b1 heavy you can shoot the howitzer in the hull