T18 Tactics

T18 tactics topgun province

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Poll: T18 Tactics (15 members have cast votes)

What tactic do you prefer in your T18?

1. Sniping (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Fast Assault (spearpoint) (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. Brawling (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

4. Depends on situation (7 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

Preferred T18 tactic on Province?

1. Sniping from cliff (10 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Assaulting red cliff (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

3. Brawling in valley (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Preferred T18 tactic on Karelia?

1. Sniping as reds push towards green base (4 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. Charging SE hill and sniping from heights (5 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Brawling in NW rocks (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

4. Charging up the middle (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Other (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Preferred T18 tactic on Malinovka

1. Sniping from the line (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

2. Sniping along the north flank (4 votes [26.67%] - View)

3. Charging around north flank (6 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Preferred T18 tactic on Prokhorovka

1. Sniping along west road (6 votes [40.00%] - View)

2. Defending or pushing down the middle (1 vote [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. Pushing through town on east (1 vote [6.67%] - View)

4. Racing up eastern hill (4 votes [26.67%] - View)

Preferred T18 tactic on Himmelsdor

1. Sniping along western rails (1 vote [6.67%] - View)

2. Sniping across mid field (1 vote [6.67%] - View)

3. Brawling on east road at bottom of cliff (7 votes [46.67%] - View)

4. Racing over the hill (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Preferred T18 tactic on Ensk

1. Sniping down central railway (1 vote [6.67%] - View)

2. Sniping on west road (1 vote [6.67%] - View)

3. Brawling in town (7 votes [46.67%] - View)

4. Sniping on east flank (4 votes [26.67%] - View)

5. Other (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Preferred T18 tactic on Mines

1. Brawling on the hill (6 votes [40.00%] - View)

2. Sniping along the islands (5 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Brawling through eastern town (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Vote Hide poll

seekorigin #1 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 04:20

Captain

• Players
  • 7386 battles
I'm really enjoying my T18 and building my crew skill (~94% now).  In doing so, I've developed some tactics that are real effective on some maps, while I struggle with other maps.  So just wanted to check with my fellow T18 drivers to see if anyone has any effective tactics that they'd like to share.  My best map is Province, followed by Mines, Karelia, and Malinovka, in that order.  I struggle with Prokhorovka, Himmelsdorf, and Ensk, and would love some advice on tactics for those maps.  As for my tactics, here's what I tend to do:

Province: If I'm up against tier I & II, I usually can get Top Gun, unless I goof or the other team is really good, and I tend to do pretty good even when against tier III opponents.  However, I think my unorthodox tactics are somewhat unusual, since I've never seen anyone else use my approach.  Specifically, I'm hyper-aggressive, charging up the opposing cliff and slaughtering the red team.  I count on my good front armor and aggressive maneuver to overwhelm them (some single shot kills are helpful).  I've attached links to two battles that are good examples of my tactics.

http://mwreplays.com...y/OS5OT9OQYLJ8/
In the first battle, I spawn in the SW and race across the valley to the east cliff.  Rather than taking the road up the south end, I cut across the mid face of the cliff and climb up just south of the fortress.  After taking out the 5 reds waiting for me, I race to the south end only to have the lone defender there run away, suiciding down into the valley to take out one of my team mates.  I then head north and engage three more.  After taking out the first two, the third one runs and is picked off by one of my team mates.  I take a couple hits from the last red, so I charge him and bring my total to 8 kills.  Anybody else charge the fortress like this?  I usually get 5 to 8 kills when I do this, as long as I don't get TK'd by an over anxious team mate.

http://mwreplays.com...y/4RXFDMY9NXMB/
In the second battle, I spawn in the NE and race across the valley to the base of the west cliff.  I learned the lesson the hard way that I have to wait at the base of the cliff and take out the reds that have crossed to the SE cliff.  The way up the middle of the west cliff is too exposed and you're easy pickings for a red scout mirroring your position.  Once the reds on the valley floor have been dealt with, I charge up the middle cliff face (not on the road). Note that a team mate shoots me in the backside just before I charge up the hill.  Once on the top, I sprint to the north and take out all of the reds there.  Then I sprint south and pick off one of the last ones to bring my total to 7 kills.  Anybody else charge up the mid cliff like this?  I usually only get 3 to 7 kills when I do this, since the path is more exposed and harder to navigate.

One more example, so you see its not a fluke:  http://mwreplays.com...y/9WCIS7RP8WPA/   I definitely prefer to charge the fortress on the east.

My tactics are not quite as refined on the other maps, but in brief my tactics are:
Mines: Tend to charge the hill and brawl.  When all goes well, I can get Top Gun, otherwise tend to get 2-3 kills.
Karelia:  Tend to charge to the SE hill.  If I'm fast enough and beat the reds to the plateau, I like to position myself to flank the reds pushing around the SE corner.  If I have some support, I can generally get 3+ kills and clear the SE pass to their base.
Malinovka:  Tend to use my speed to push around the north flank.  If I have 4-5 allies join me, we tend to sweep all the way to the enemy base where we end in a slug fest.  If I'm alone or have little support, I find a sniping location and try to hold the flank.  Sometimes I can stop the red rush on my own, but the ground is so open that a group of reds can usually out flank me.  In either scenario, I tend to get 3-4 kills.

As for the other maps, my tactics don't work too well:
Prokhorovka:  I've had some luck sniping down the western road, but with mixed results.  I've also charged the hill on the east, but I tend to get out flanked as the reds seldom meet me head on.  Any suggestions?
Himmelsdorf:  I tend to use my speed to race up the hill on the east.  If I have some allies with me, I tend to rush the red's defenses and overwhelm them, sweeping down to their rear.  When it goes well, I'll get a few kills, but often times it ends poorly.  Anyone have a good tactic?
Ensk:  I tend to brawl in the town, constantly pushing forward.  If I have some allied support to protect my flank, I tend to open a pretty good size path through the red ranks.  But with all of the passes, it's fairly easy to get flanked and taken from the rear.  Is there a better tactic for this map?

I appreciate any tactical recommendations you provide and hope you make good use of the tactics that I've demonstrated.  Just don't use them against me ;-)

Play hard, T18 brethren.
Morituri te salutant

BCEMonkey #2 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 04:32

Captain

• Players
  • 9635 battles
Those are pretty much the tactics to use for it with the 75mm. Just sharpen your skills and you should achieve 60% WR as this tank is grossly OP. Tank alley on Himmelsdorf is basically auto top gun in a tier 2 battle. Just hide behind the big dirt mound thing and 1 shot anything that tries to drive down it. A single T18 can overcome 4-5 tanks by itself in tank alley.

StrelaCarbon #3 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 04:33

Captain

• Players
  • 14944 battles

View PostBCEMonkey, on Nov 21 2012 - 04:32, said:

Those are pretty much the tactics to use for it with the 75mm. Just sharpen your skills and you should achieve 60% WR as this tank is grossly OP.

And think, it used to be even better...

universeea #4 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 04:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19587 battles
  • [A1PHA] A1PHA
I am very good with my t18 and like it a lot as it has a powerful gun a great armor. I can give you advice in the game on because I get around 3 kills per game average and on province-many top guns.We should platoon with t18's sometime.

seekorigin #5 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 04:57

Captain

• Players
  • 7386 battles

View Postuniverseea, on Nov 21 2012 - 04:36, said:

I am very good with my t18 and like it a lot as it has a powerful gun a great armor. I can give you advice in the game on because I get around 3 kills per game average and on province-many top guns.We should platoon with t18's sometime.

Sounds like fun, I'll ping you off-forum.  The only thing better than a T18 is a pair of T18s working together.  I've earned Brothers In Arms a few times platooning, but I'd love a shot at Crucial Contribution

Cl4nkCl4nk #6 Posted Nov 21 2012 - 05:02

Captain

• Players
  • 23209 battles
  • [XERO] XERO
This little TD is a monster.

The only reason it hasn't been raped by the nerf dildo is because so few players stay with it long enough to realize its uber OPness.

'grats on learning the secret, but don't crow too loud, or WG will hear you and spoil our fun.

EDIT:  In general, low tier TDs (2 - 3) can totally own.  They may be the ultimate stat padding vehicles.

Edited by Cl4nkCl4nk, Nov 21 2012 - 05:09.