Jump to content


The IS-4's weak point


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

StradetchFanboi #21 Posted Nov 25 2010 - 14:29

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 9810 battles
  • 98
  • [BETAS] BETAS
  • Member since:
    07-15-2010

View PostSupraluminal, on Nov 25 2010 - 02:36, said:

Out of curiosity, what's your source on the information re: the frontal weak spot getting removed?

Overlord in the T29/T32 nerf thread

Pretty much..

TheCommodore #22 Posted Nov 26 2010 - 15:09

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 11647 battles
  • 79
  • Member since:
    07-13-2010
I don't know about any other IS-4 drivers, but even after i upgraded the turret i seem to take a lot of damage from the front, and even when I'm not getting hit in the drivers hatch.

Malexa #23 Posted Nov 26 2010 - 19:48

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 511
  • Member since:
    10-04-2010
Nothings completly invulnerable, maybe next patch.

darknothing #24 Posted Nov 27 2010 - 05:42

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 4595 battles
  • 160
  • Member since:
    10-09-2010

View Postarkhell, on Nov 24 2010 - 15:50, said:

i think the spot gets buffed up next round of patches since they are buffing IS-4 frontal armor a bid at that point ;)
these tanks are over powered and there getting a buff.. sounds like they favor there Russian tanks....I shot an is3 point blank with an 88 56L in the belly 3 times. 2 times in the tracks and 2 times in the back for 0 damage... wtf... 0??? i didnt even track the tank,,,,

Homer_J #25 Posted Nov 27 2010 - 06:34

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 841
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostFrEd, on Nov 25 2010 - 14:10, said:


Do you have any screenshots with this point marked?

Just look for the letterbox on the front of the tank, shoot that.

Dhante #26 Posted Nov 27 2010 - 07:27

    First lieutenant

  • Special Beta Testers
  • 27373 battles
  • 594
  • Member since:
    03-17-2010
Does it matter exactly where you hit the IS-4 tracks?
I tracked 1 twice in a row with 105 long w/AP and did 0 to his HP
Should I have aimed at the top edge of tracks maybe?

Stormscion #27 Posted Nov 27 2010 - 07:47

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 608
  • Member since:
    07-15-2010

View PostTroika, on Nov 24 2010 - 15:36, said:

It's true the IS-4 seems better than an Ausf B. Fast, strong armor, strong gun... but it has a spot on the front armor only about 70mm thick that you can shoot for full damage.

Zoom in on the tank's front and look for something shaped like an upside down triangle. Shoot there-- you will penetrate just about every time (assuming you have an appropriately decent gun-- KT's 105mm L/68 will do just fine) and kill the driver. :)

The IS-7, incidentially, shares this weak point.

It is indeed weak spot on both tanks but on is7 it is stronger :) IS4 is really squishy

theta0123 #28 Posted Dec 01 2010 - 14:33

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,971
  • Member since:
    07-08-2010
all heavies are getting an armor buff

exept the american ones, they are getting a nerf

Twardy #29 Posted Dec 01 2010 - 14:53

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 57
  • Member since:
    10-08-2010

View Posttheta0123, on Dec 01 2010 - 14:33, said:

all heavies are getting an armor buff

exept the american ones, they are getting a nerf

According to devs words it's not a nerf per se. It's a bug fix that won't decrease actual armor stats those tanks have.

Gaia #30 Posted Dec 03 2010 - 12:11

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 34
  • Member since:
    08-04-2010

View PostTwardy, on Dec 01 2010 - 14:53, said:

According to devs words it's not a nerf per se. It's a bug fix that will decrease actual armor with 20% .


fixed for you

EchelonIII #31 Posted Dec 03 2010 - 12:19

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 15977 battles
  • 4,783
  • [BULLS] BULLS
  • Member since:
    09-11-2010

View PostDarkWolf, on Nov 25 2010 - 08:16, said:

German tanks are also getting a buff.

Collected from Overlord's post over the past few days:

VK4502 is going to see mantle armor increase:
- stock turret 120->160mm
- top turret 120->180mm

We have given up the idea of giving Maus 150mm gun, but with high probability it will be buffed in some way in future.
It's inferior to IS-7 currently.

German guns
75mm_KwK_40_L43: dispersion 0.41->0.4.
75mm_StuK_40_L43: dispersion 0.39->0.38.
75mm_KwK_40_L48: dispersion 0.4->0.39.
75mm_PaK_39_L48: dispersion 0.38->0.37.
75mm_PaK_40_2: dispersion 0.38->0.37.
128mm_PaK44_2_L61: decreased post-shot visibility.
128mm_PaK44_L55: decreased post-shot visibility.


Tiger II mantle armor for top turret: 65->100

Most are mickey mouse buffs, any opposition those tanks will be facing will have enough firepower to easily penetrate even the upgraded armor. The accuracy buffs are similar. The only real interesting buffs are the visibility buffs... what exactly does it mean?

shashaveli #32 Posted Dec 03 2010 - 12:59

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 209
  • Member since:
    07-23-2010

View PostDhante, on Nov 27 2010 - 07:27, said:

Does it matter exactly where you hit the IS-4 tracks?
I tracked 1 twice in a row with 105 long w/AP and did 0 to his HP
Should I have aimed at the top edge of tracks maybe?

Yes, if you want to deal both damage to tank and tracks you actually have to hit the body of the tank as well.

shashaveli #33 Posted Dec 03 2010 - 13:00

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 209
  • Member since:
    07-23-2010

View PostEchelonIII, on Dec 03 2010 - 12:19, said:

Most are mickey mouse buffs, any opposition those tanks will be facing will have enough firepower to easily penetrate even the upgraded armor. The accuracy buffs are similar. The only real interesting buffs are the visibility buffs... what exactly does it mean?

It means that a Ferdie and a JagTiger will drink your blood more or less literally after next patch. Shooting won't reveal their position so easily.

VGA #34 Posted Dec 05 2010 - 06:20

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 968
  • Member since:
    09-05-2010
The only weak point the IS-4 has is that the patch hasn't been applied yet. Then it will have no weakpoints.

SadPanda #35 Posted Dec 05 2010 - 10:46

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 23
  • Member since:
    08-03-2010

View PostVGA, on Dec 05 2010 - 06:20, said:

The only weak point the IS-4 has is that the patch hasn't been applied yet. Then it will have no weakpoints.

is-4 armor plate on the back will be thinned from 120mm to 100mm, so all you need to do is drive the 300m the is-4 spots you and get around to its back and get 2 to 10 shots off depending on what tank/gun combo you got without getting hit more than 2-4 times by the is-4 and you have won ;)

EchelonIII #36 Posted Dec 05 2010 - 12:17

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 15977 battles
  • 4,783
  • [BULLS] BULLS
  • Member since:
    09-11-2010

View PostSadPanda, on Dec 05 2010 - 10:46, said:

is-4 armor plate on the back will be thinned from 120mm to 100mm, so all you need to do is drive the 300m the is-4 spots you and get around to its back and get 2 to 10 shots off depending on what tank/gun combo you got without getting hit more than 2-4 times by the is-4 and you have won ;)

As I've said, mickey mouse nerf. The weakening of the IS-4's rear armor will have such little effect, because the tanks which deal any form of solid damage to the IS-4 are going to be unable to take full advantage of it.

ediko #37 Posted Dec 05 2010 - 18:30

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 275
  • Member since:
    10-07-2010
You know what? I actually think this buff is a good idea, or at least I hope it will be. Look at the mini-mouse, mouse and is7. Their fronts are almost impenetrable except a few weak-spots which aren't that easy to hit, when you get to their sides or rear however they are doomed. Is4 however is completely different in this, for some reason it is much easier to penetrate  from the front than side and back. Honestly I dinged and bounced 4 shots from his rear and sides and I just gave up and shot at his front without aiming at anything specific, guess what? 30% off.

It just doesn't make sense that a tank has such an easily penetrable front and such invincible sides and rear. Now it will be more like every tank we have in the game, meaning well armored front and vulnerable from all other directions. When I see an is7 in my is3 I race at full speed and get behind it 4~5 shots and his dead. No point to even shoot its front. When I see an is4 however I always aim for the frontal armor since it's the weakest

Everything I write here is from my personal experience in fighting these tanks, I don't really trust this forum much about all the bias.

VGA #38 Posted Dec 05 2010 - 19:21

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 968
  • Member since:
    09-05-2010

View Postediko, on Dec 05 2010 - 18:30, said:

When I see an is7 in my is3 I race at full speed and get behind it 4~5 shots and his dead.
Haha, made my day !   :lol:

So that's the secret, rush in, outmaneuver the IS-7 (right...) then fire 4-5 shots in its rear (it helps if he is afk)

Let's be realistic, weak rear armor means almost nothing, he's gonna be attacking, not admiring the scenery, you will ding him like a church bell.

ediko #39 Posted Dec 05 2010 - 20:27

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 275
  • Member since:
    10-07-2010

View PostVGA, on Dec 05 2010 - 19:21, said:

Haha, made my day !   :lol:

So that's the secret, rush in, outmaneuver the IS-7 (right...) then fire 4-5 shots in its rear (it helps if he is afk)

Let's be realistic, weak rear armor means almost nothing, he's gonna be attacking, not admiring the scenery, you will ding him like a church bell.
That's what the Mouse is for- distraction ,
true story  B)

Common is7 ain't that fast or maneuverable, it's just that its compared to a Mouse which moves slower than a continent. I still consider is4 a bigger threat than an is7 and getting to the rear of it is easier than the is7 ones, it's just that there is no point in being behind the is4 since it will just bounce all day. That tank doesn't make sense.

Maybe now it will behave more like every other vehicle, or become even more powerful... The only way we can be sure is to see for ourselves when the patch comes.


Oh just to make you're day even more enjoyable, I just rushed in behind an VK4502 (the mini mouse if I got it wrong) which really was AFK. 5 shots directly to his rear and the bastard still gets back to the game turns around and sets me on fire with one shot, he had like 20% left and my bl9 fired the last shot in his rear, only to get him to 1%  :angry:  Some medium rushed in and got him though.

Still they're stugs and DB's defended the guy fanatically, earning myself a steel wall  :D

EchelonIII #40 Posted Dec 06 2010 - 06:44

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 15977 battles
  • 4,783
  • [BULLS] BULLS
  • Member since:
    09-11-2010

View Postediko, on Dec 05 2010 - 18:30, said:

You know what? I actually think this buff is a good idea, or at least I hope it will be. Look at the mini-mouse, mouse and is7. Their fronts are almost impenetrable except a few weak-spots which aren't that easy to hit, when you get to their sides or rear however they are doomed. Is4 however is completely different in this, for some reason it is much easier to penetrate  from the front than side and back. Honestly I dinged and bounced 4 shots from his rear and sides and I just gave up and shot at his front without aiming at anything specific, guess what? 30% off.

It just doesn't make sense that a tank has such an easily penetrable front and such invincible sides and rear. Now it will be more like every tank we have in the game, meaning well armored front and vulnerable from all other directions. When I see an is7 in my is3 I race at full speed and get behind it 4~5 shots and his dead. No point to even shoot its front. When I see an is4 however I always aim for the frontal armor since it's the weakest

Everything I write here is from my personal experience in fighting these tanks, I don't really trust this forum much about all the bias.

The Maus has a gaping hole in its armor between the tracks...

The IS-4 "nerf" in the rear armor is, as I've said, a mickey mouse nerf. What we'll have with this patch is that the IS-4 will now have a well-armored front (as you've said), but there's been no change to the side armor, it'll still have invincible side armor (as you've said), while the nerf to the rear armor can't be taken advantage of anyway. In a duel between two tanks, if one gets on the rear of the other, the tank getting shot in the rear is screwed in any case, it doesn't matter if it's got 10mm, 50mm, 100mm, or 120mm of armor. So, what this patch essentially does is to fix the IS-4's one weakness, and add in a weakness that can't really be exploited in a practical sense.

Also, an IS-3 outflanking an IS-7? I'm sorry, but I'll really have to call bullshit on that one, an IS-3 would outmaneuver a Maus with ease, but I'd highly doubt that it can outmaneuver an IS-7




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users