ST-I

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

CynicalDutchie #1 Posted Dec 06 2012 - 22:13

Captain

• Players
  • 25052 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
I bought this tank a little while ago after finally finishing the KV-4, which I found to be a pretty bad tank overall but I managed to do pretty well in it according to my stats on the thing. So I was happy to finally sell it and get the ST-I. My first matches started out pretty badly as the Russians but I thought it was just the BL-9 letting me down. I now have it fully upgraded except for the engine but it's still not working for me. I love the IS-8 and I find it an amazing tank but as much as I want to love the ST-I in the same way it's currently letting me down and I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I'm currently doing worse in it than the VK 3002 DB and I'm pretty sure that was impossible :S.

I know not many people have this tank as I rarely see it on the battlefield but does anyone here have some tips and tactics on how to use this tank effectively?

Edited by Gwandi, Dec 06 2012 - 22:13.

5k1LL3r1 #2 Posted Dec 06 2012 - 22:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15185 battles
  • [-_T_-] -_T_-
I don't own this tank. But on every test server this is the tank i play the most as i rather like it. I'm about to buy KV-4 in the Live server. about a mil credits short. Anyways, You have to remember that this is a trueish heavy tank. The IS-8 is a heavy medium and is more forgiving than ST-I. Learn how to reverse angle the armor on this tank as it is a key skill on the IS-4. Which is actually better than most people think, but requires a GOOD driver at all times. It will not forgive you like IS-7 or T110E5 will. Make use of the Turret armor at all times. It's about 250... and is this tanks saving grace since they could not give it it's historical fire rate of 16 RPM. (3.75 sec reload i believe) Use it as a support Heavy or as a hull down medium range sniper. Go with someone who actually has armor, pop out and fire a shot, back up and hull down / retreat, REPEAT. Then relocate. Try turning your turret back and forth while reloading and hull down when facing tier 10 meds as their High pen guns can easily pen your turret straight on. DO NOT try and Close quarters with this unless your face hugging a tank of similar size with less than ~230ish pen, so you can effectively make use of your turret armor. Just like T29,34,32,30.

As your front is only 140mm @ 61 degress. Which come out as around ~210. So even 88 L 71 can pen on a good roll. ANGLE ANGLE ANGLE is this tanks watch word. As they say. Location, location location.

dvang #3 Posted Dec 07 2012 - 07:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14743 battles
There is a pretty big weak spot, the drivers slit, on the front. Protect that and you're good. I'm still grinding with the BL-9, and this tank is still one of the best tier 9's in the field.  It works best hull down, or up close and face hugging. You can push most other tanks, including other heavies.  You can block bridges with your body and the enemy wont be getting past your corpse anytime soon.

pyantoryng #4 Posted Dec 07 2012 - 09:35

Major

• Players
  • 14667 battles
Hull angling still work to a degree as I don't think the shoulders attract too much damage, but your best bet is hull down. Even a dead tank's husk at sufficient height will do. The ST-I turret front is very tough and will shrug off good deal of damage, add the excellent cupola placement of the turret and you're good to go. You cannot always hull down, but the front armor is there and it still works, to a degree.

The ST-I is of armored style - you are now faster than KV-4, but not by much. The engine upgrade is only 50HP more and it adds a couple of kilograms to your weight so the improvement is marginal at best. This thing's STurdiness rivals the E-75 to a degree, and that's its (and this line as a whole)'s selling point. When you have all that armor, take advantage of it. Just keep in mind that gold round's available as credits now.

Yes, ST-I's is pretty rare (I've only seen 3 max in a single game, with me included) and documentations on it are scarce...because everyone has their IS-4 already.

nrage23 #5 Posted Dec 07 2012 - 16:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18359 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO
I just recently sold mine so I could get the Object 268.  Once you get the turret and the top gun the tank performs very well.  Get hull down and there are not many tanks in the game that can pin the front of the turret.  If you cannot get hull down you need to angle a little bit and it will bounce some shells.  You want to aim the angle change between the front armor plates at your enemy so that nothing on your front is 90 degrees to them.  If you angle too much you flatten out the angled armor on either side of the front.  It is good practice for the armor of the IS4 though. Kind of like this sketchup model I threw together.

Posted Image
ST-I and E75 by nrage23, on Flickr

the_moidart #6 Posted Dec 10 2012 - 08:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22516 battles
Angle, show restraint, aim for weakspots. The turret may tempt you to fight close range, but in my experience, people know to shoot for the dang cupola.

pyantoryng #7 Posted Dec 10 2012 - 13:53

Major

• Players
  • 14667 battles

View Postthe_moidart, on Dec 10 2012 - 08:41, said:

Angle, show restraint, aim for weakspots. The turret may tempt you to fight close range, but in my experience, people know to shoot for the dang cupola.

The ST-I's cupola is harder to hit compared to quite a few other tanks. It's sloped too, and at range it's just very hard to aim at because of its smallness.

I've got a KV-5 driver inquiring me on why he could not pen my ST-I's cupola...

Spiley_Craw #8 Posted Dec 10 2012 - 14:03

Captain

• Players
  • 14396 battles
  • [NBL] NBL

View Post5k1LL3r1, on Dec 06 2012 - 22:42, said:

since they could not give it it's historical fire rate of 16 RPM. (3.75 sec reload i believe)

It doesn't have a historical reload, because it only ever existed on paper.
-Kle.

Tu_pro #9 Posted Dec 10 2012 - 14:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 971 battles

View Post5k1LL3r1, on Dec 06 2012 - 22:42, said:

As your front is only 140mm @ 61 degress. Which come out as around ~210. So even 88 L 71 can pen on a good roll. ANGLE ANGLE ANGLE is this tanks watch word. As they say. Location, location location.

~210 how ? it's around 250mm effective ( with nomalize ) meaning the L71 will have hard time penning it

gardeth #10 Posted Dec 10 2012 - 17:14

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12978 battles
Loved my KV-4, love the ST-I more.  This thing takes hits like a champ. Angled properly, it can take tier X shots all day.

InventorOfEvil #11 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 00:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 8125 battles
Angle the hell out of the ST-I. With the turret and top gun, you're damn near invincible, even in Tier 10 battles. It even can be a decent sniper, though it's not it's recommended configuration. Here's a replay of mine from yesterday and I'm primarily facing Tier 7's and one Tier 9 medium, but it gives you a general idea of how this thing performs and how to get the most out of it.

http://mwreplays.com...y/TYFE3IR91QJ7/

Contused #12 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 09:19

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6056 battles
It should be noted, "side scrapping" with the ST-I is very viable tactic for this tank (you will still want to angle it like in "nrage23's" mockup)... not as effective as the KV-4, but its smaller sides is somewhat a boon.

dvang #13 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 18:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14743 battles
Agreed. That also has the advantage of hiding the large driver slit on the front hull.

5k1LL3r1 #14 Posted Dec 17 2012 - 22:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15185 battles
  • [-_T_-] -_T_-

View PostSpiley_Craw, on Dec 10 2012 - 14:03, said:

It doesn't have a historical reload, because it only ever existed on paper.
-Kle.
From what i've read on the Russian forum... it was built. And according to Serb. That was its IRL fire rate. They even made drawings for ST-II. That had 2 of 122 mm on it. Look it up. Can't find the exact link ATM.

cmgoku #15 Posted Dec 18 2012 - 04:48

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27483 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ
I'm quite enjoying mine; a big step up from the lumbering KV4 (which is still a very solid Tier 8).  I've had it for just over 50 matches and I'm 57% so far.  I'll add this piece advice for anyone picking one up in the near future - don't even think about running it until you can put at least a BL9 cannon on it.  Anyone familiar with the line knows it gets stuck with the D-25T (KV3 top gun) as the starting cannon which is crap for a Tier 9.  I ran the BL9 for a while then shelled out a little gold to unlock with M62-T2.   Its truly a force at Tier 9 when maxed out:  great cannon with well armored turret (and to a lesser extent hull).  Its one downside is its a little pokey; I've been in completely one-sided victories on bigger maps where I just couldn't keep up to the action and lost out on damage and/or kills because of it.  Otherwise I have no complaints... a very solid tank and good prelude to the IS4 (as I've been told).

As far as playing it goes the hull down tactic is sound - this tank also has quite good gun depression so don't be afraid to peek over ridges for a shot or two your solid turret (top end "big head") can usually handle it.  The cannon has reasonably good range too and can snipe a little when the game calls for it; don't expect to hit everything though.  Its also heavy enough to ram; barreling down a slope at an unsuspecting target will do plenty of damage.

Edited by cmgoku, Dec 18 2012 - 04:58.

_Sturmgewehr_ #16 Posted Dec 25 2012 - 11:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 85 battles
Since it hasn't been mentioned...get clutch braking and off road driving as crew skills. The two make a big difference in handling.

pyantoryng is correct. It is a tier 9 beast that rivals the E-75...with a much better gun.

Glad there are so few around when I'm driving other tanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users