How To Remodel Tanks? (Not Reskin)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

Gyarados #1 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 09:44

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 0 battles
Downloaded a couple of remodels for my Type 59 and M48A1, but I can't seem to get them to work. I've looked all around to figure out just how to install these remodels, but nothing has been of use.

Can I get some help up in here!?

iamablocker #2 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 09:56

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
install remodels?

Make sure the files have the skins and the normal/crash/collision folders- the folders contain the remodeled files that turn X tank into Y tank.

just toss into the res_mods folder like normal skins.

Gyarados #3 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 10:09

Major

• 0 battles
I've already done that, however, and while the skin of the model (as in the camo) is showing up, the different model is not. My Type 59 has the woodland camo, but not all of the improvements that were shown in the screenshots.

Zeroskills #4 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 10:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
They go in your worldoftanks/resmods/8.1/vehicles/Chinese/(tank) folder.  Be careful using remodeled tanks because it only changes what they look like and not their actual hit boxes.  That can make it tricky to hit weak spots on some tanks and its why I leave my tier 10s alone.

Gyarados #5 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 10:19

Major

• 0 battles
That is where I am putting the files. I actually got the idea and the link from the Reddit post. They're in the correct location with the correct folder tree, but the changes aren't actually taking place.

EDIT:

Here we go. I'll just show you guys.

Default Files extracted from the package.

Spoiler                     

The files from the remodel itself.

Spoiler                     

Files in my res_mods folder including file tree.

Spoiler                     

Edited by Gyarados, Dec 11 2012 - 10:33.

Zeroskills #6 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 10:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostGyarados, on Dec 11 2012 - 10:19, said:

That is where I am putting the files. I actually got the idea and the link from the Reddit post. They're in the correct location with the correct folder tree, but the changes aren't actually taking place.

I don't know what to tell you then except that it may be the files you downloaded.  I got an E-50 skin that refused to work, so I tried a different one that was exactly the same except for the color and it worked fine.  So maybe try a different one and see if it works.

Edit: just saw your edit.  I'm not at my computer at the moment but I will check mine in the morning.

Edited by Zeroskills, Dec 11 2012 - 10:37.

Fenriswaffles #7 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 11:07

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostGyarados, on Dec 11 2012 - 10:19, said:

EDIT:

Here we go. I'll just show you guys.

Default Files extracted from the package.

Spoiler                     

The files from the remodel itself.

Spoiler                     

Files in my res_mods folder including file tree.

Spoiler                     

Where's the base texture? Try copying "M48A1.dds" from the vehicles_american.pkg to the mod folder?

What skin is it specifically?

EDIT: Sort-of relatedly, I am more than a little bit miffed that modifying models for WoT is some esoteric SECRET privilege, I get ideas now and then but can't do crap with them.

dwaindwarf #8 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 11:31

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Have you restarted the game ? The Modifation won't take effect until you do.

iamablocker #9 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 13:50

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostFenriswaffles, on Dec 11 2012 - 11:07, said:

EDIT: Sort-of relatedly, I am more than a little bit miffed that modifying models for WoT is some esoteric SECRET privilege, I get ideas now and then but can't do crap with them.

Same here. I can get the software, but guides are almost non-existant, and whatever guide is there is, is in koreanrandom, in russian.

==============

Delete everything in the [default files] and replace them with the ones in the remodel.

Then restart client.

Fenriswaffles #10 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 13:57

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postiamablocker, on Dec 11 2012 - 13:50, said:

Same here. I can get the software, but guides are almost non-existant, and whatever guide is there is, is in koreanrandom, in russian.

==============

Delete everything in the [default files] and replace them with the ones in the remodel.

Then restart client.

By software are you just talking about the official bigworld suite? Or some other tool that apparently can't be distributed?

iamablocker #11 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 14:22

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostFenriswaffles, on Dec 11 2012 - 13:57, said:

By software are you just talking about the official bigworld suite? Or some other tool that apparently can't be distributed?

They are using the standard 3d software that one can buy/get and use.

The problem is how to convert the trinity fileset (model/primitives/visual) into a form that can be worked on by the software.

Fenriswaffles #12 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 14:37

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postiamablocker, on Dec 11 2012 - 14:22, said:

They are using the standard 3d software that one can buy/get and use.

The problem is how to convert the trinity fileset (model/primitives/visual) into a form that can be worked on by the software.

Well technically all you need is the .primitives which contains the actual model, and there's a converter that can convert the model part of the file in to other formats, problem is converting it back to a form accepted by WoT, without shelling out $300 that is.

MANIACPC #13 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 17:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am not a modder but I have some remodelled tanks in my garage, luv the M18 with crew. But shouldn't the M60 dds files be renamed to M48? If not how does the game know what files to use because there is no M60 ingame?

iamablocker #14 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 19:23

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostMANIACPC, on Dec 11 2012 - 17:50, said:

I am not a modder but I have some remodelled tanks in my garage, luv the M18 with crew. But shouldn't the M60 dds files be renamed to M48? If not how does the game know what files to use because there is no M60 ingame?

iirc they can set it in any of the 3 files the name of the skin file to use to cover the model with.

Gyarados #15 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 19:25

Major

• 0 battles
EDIT/WIPE: I ended up figuring it out. For whatever reason, it didn't want to work when I manually replaced files (despite them being correct) and what I ended up doing was putting the default game files in the mod location and then just pasting all of the remodeled things in there. Even though all of the files went to the same locations that I put them, they didn't want to work for some reason.

Edited by Gyarados, Dec 11 2012 - 19:31.

anarchyxf36 #16 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 19:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
hate to be a buzzkill but EULA states...

C. Prohibited Uses
16. Modify any files that WG does not specifically authorize users to modify. Use of material, which is subject to the rights of any person or entity without the express permission of such rights holder, is prohibited, and will result in the termination of the Account and possible civil and/or criminal liability.

and last support told me along with various other WG staff members remodeling the models of the tanks in-game is an account sactionable no-no ;)

Fenriswaffles #17 Posted Dec 11 2012 - 20:46

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postanarchyxf36, on Dec 11 2012 - 19:49, said:

hate to be a buzzkill but EULA states...

C. Prohibited Uses
16. Modify any files that WG does not specifically authorize users to modify. Use of material, which is subject to the rights of any person or entity without the express permission of such rights holder, is prohibited, and will result in the termination of the Account and possible civil and/or criminal liability.

and last support told me along with various other WG staff members remodeling the models of the tanks in-game is an account sactionable no-no ;)

Yet you see tons of it in the Russian community.

anarchyxf36 #18 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 00:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
meh, tbh waffles im just throwing that part in the EULA about remodeling stuff out there so you modders know the kinda fire your playing with on remodeling stuff. I have seen a plethora of people perma-banned cause of it since i started playing back in april of last year.

My personal opinion on it though is that i actually like seeing some of the intricate detailed work that some of you modders come out with. Hell some of you guys could probably end up teaching the devs a thing or two  :Smile_glasses:

1SLUGGO1 #19 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 05:08

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
deleted

Edited by 1SLUGGO1, Dec 12 2012 - 05:10.

Gyarados #20 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 05:36

Major

• 0 battles

View Postanarchyxf36, on Dec 12 2012 - 00:32, said:

meh, tbh waffles im just throwing that part in the EULA about remodeling stuff out there so you modders know the kinda fire your playing with on remodeling stuff. I have seen a plethora of people perma-banned cause of it since i started playing back in april of last year.

My personal opinion on it though is that i actually like seeing some of the intricate detailed work that some of you modders come out with. Hell some of you guys could probably end up teaching the devs a thing or two  :Smile_glasses:

The reason there were permabans before is because people could somehow exploit these things before, it's kind of impossible now. There's nothing to gain other than cosmetic changes and WG has encouraged mods of many natures, it's taken them a long time to condemn XVM and even then we're not sure when it's going to disappear (they'll probably just disable the API from being used by third-party sources). Remodeling isn't against the EULA as far as most people are concerned, hence why no one worries about it.

WG has explicitly stated (post-tracers) that anything cosmetic is a go in the world of modding.