Awards to increase performance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

Super_Salo7 #1 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 19:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17757 battles
I think everybody agrees that damage dealt is a big factor in winning a game. So to make players pay more attention to damage they deal and therefor increase their contribution towards winning i propose introduction of awards for damage.

Someone please come up with names.

Award1: Most damage done in a match (all 30 players are included. w/wo arties?) AND at least 15% of total enemy HP. (15 tanks combined)

Award2: (numbers should be adjusted for low tier TDs as suggested below)
2a. IV class of award for dealing 1.5x damage of your own HP (tanks, no arties)
2b. III class of award for dealing 2x damage of your own HP (tanks, no arties)
2c. II class of award for dealing 3x damage of your own HP (tanks, no arties)
2d. IV class of award for dealing 4x damage of your own HP (tanks, no arties)

Edited by Super_Salo7, Dec 12 2012 - 19:47.

Nithydux #2 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 19:14

Major

• Players
  • 9656 battles
  • [M00SE] M00SE
Seems Reasonable.

Dunno about names though, the Class based medals are based on Actual Tankers.

turtle722 #3 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 19:23

Captain

• Players
  • 13401 battles
  • [SGHQ] SGHQ
XP and credits are based on damage done, is that not incentive enough?

Super_Salo7 #4 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 19:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17757 battles

View Postturtle722, on Dec 12 2012 - 19:23, said:

XP and credits are based on damage done, is that not incentive enough?
of course not, people still make xp/$ by hiding the most remote corner and doing nothing

ivanmurphy #5 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 19:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28708 battles
That would mean an award every game for someone - the stat hounds will be fed.

How about just awarding credits based on actual participation - would eliminate bots too.

Celebrim #6 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 19:44

Major

• Players
  • 14398 battles

View PostSuper_Salo7, on Dec 12 2012 - 19:09, said:

Award1: Most damage done in a match (all 30 players are included. w/wo arties?)

I dislike having a reward won by someone in every match.  The reward should only be for doing much more than the expected amount of damage AND doing the most damage in the same match.  In particular, you should mainly be recieving this award in the cases where you damage 8-10 tanks and killed 4-5 of them, but don't currently recieve an award.

Award2:
2a. IV class of award for dealing 1.5x damage of your own HP (tanks, no arties)
2b. III class of award for dealing 2x damage of your own HP (tanks, no arties)
2c. II class of award for dealing 3x damage of your own HP (tanks, no arties)
2d. IV class of award for dealing 4x damage of your own HP (tanks, no arties)

Low tier TD's would win this award in nearly every match.   It's not unusual for a T-18 or a Marder II or a PanzerJager 1 to do 2-3 times its own HP in damage every single game.   You'd need to adjust the effective hit points of TD's upward by 50% at least.   And in any event, anything less than 3 times or so the expected damage for your tank isn't really worth an award because it would be darn close to an award for participation.  If win one of the above rewards in about 50% of my matches (and almost 100% of my tier 1 matches at this point), rendering the 'reward' as meaningless the sharpshooter award.   Perhaps maybe you could do this as the longest streak of games where you do more than 150% of the expected damage for your tank?

I'm not really getting excited about this because we already have several awards for inflicting damage - top gun and confederate being the most obvious.  I don't see this as a huge need.

Super_Salo7 #7 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 19:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17757 battles

View Postivanmurphy, on Dec 12 2012 - 19:35, said:

That would mean an award every game for someone - the stat hounds will be fed.

How about just awarding credits based on actual participation - would eliminate bots too.

good point. then another condition should be added - top damage AND at least 15% (more/less?) of total enemy HP.

i think credits are good but there are too many players who value an award more than a small credits boost.

killswitch95 #8 Posted Dec 12 2012 - 19:55

Major

• Players
  • 23237 battles
  • [DEMON] DEMON

View PostSuper_Salo7, on Dec 12 2012 - 19:29, said:

of course not, people still make xp/$ by hiding the most remote corner and doing nothing
exactly

SpeakerMagnet #9 Posted Dec 13 2012 - 10:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10271 battles

View PostSuper_Salo7, on Dec 12 2012 - 19:09, said:

I think everybody agrees that damage dealt is a big factor in winning a game.

I would agree that a majority of the games I play are won by defeating all the enemy players, I would not agree that damage dealt is the big factor in winning the game, but rather a side effect of smarter play. I already have an issue with players pulling in front of me to take over a spot that I've set up in there by preventing me from easily shooting the target while getting themselves killed so I have to expose myself more to arty to get the same shot I had before. That doesn't happen too often, but if you put extra rewards on doing damage, I think you'd find people becoming slightly more rude.

Additionally it could also encourage bad play rather than good play. If you're getting increased rewards for doing damage, wouldn't you naturally want to go to the point that you can do the most damage to an enemy tank/team even if it wasn't really a good idea? Well guess what, the other 14 players on your team probably are thinking the same thing.

I'll often move myself in to the more weak position to help defend an area. Some times that means I probably wont see as many tanks come my way or that I'm missing the initial fire fight that would net me some enemy damage, but I'll stop the other team from flanking, there by helping us win by not getting shot in the flanks, or allowing scouts to light up hidden tanks. There's more to tanking than just pewpewing.