Navy's thread of do's and don'ts to help you improve.

REMOVE_STUFF_FROM_THE_GAME

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

TheM0untaineer #1 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 13:48

Major

• Players
  • 22562 battles
This is my guide on different aspects of World of Tanks gameplay. I have it divided it into 11 sections:

- Set up and mods.
- Scouting
- Artillery
- Chatting in-game
- Overextending
- Minimap and situational awareness
- Angling
- Weakspots
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Taking initiative
- Platooning

1.) Set up

You will want to get the most out of your computer while in battle. If you have a very slow computer, I suggest using an effects remover mod to increase your fps.

With that said, you can go through the different game settings and customize it to your liking. Here’s some different settings and what they do:

Draw distance – This setting increases how far you can see across a map. You will immediately notice a significant damage output when this setting is on high. Even if you have a slow computer, I recommend this. This setting does not, however, increase the max distance that you can spot an enemy.

Object LOD (Level of detail) – This setting increases how good things look at a distance. It can hurt your fps, so if you have a slow computer, I recommend using it on low, but it really does make a difference in the quality of things.

Extra effects (And “Extra effects in sniper mode”) – If you set this on lowest, then it removes smoke when you shoot. It helps your fps significantly. This setting is also nice in sniper mode to have on low. If you have it on low in sniper mode with a fast firing gun, you can more easily track your target. If your shot is blocked by smoke from your previous shot, how do you know he didn’t duck behind a rock when you’re leading him?

Here’s some other important settings in different sections:

Volume section – I sugest playing around with your volume settings a bit so you can set up your ideal sound

Game section – This section is just some personal preferences. “Enable replays” should ALWAYS be checked on. If you come across a teamkiller without a replay, how are you going to report him to Support?

Another one worth mentioning is “enable vibration in sniper mode”. Always keep this checked off. It really helps you shoot moving targets. I can’t stress how important it is to take this setting off.

For mods:

To install mods, you need to go to a website where you can download mods, like www.curse.com. Here's some important ones:

- Jimbos Crosshair mod This mod shows reload time, and can help a lot. It can give you an idea of when to move around a corner so that you still have time to aim.

- Camera zoom mod. This mod helps a lot. You can see around corners, and over walls much more effectively.

- Accurate damage indicator. This mod can help you shoot long range invisible targets, as it gives you a MUCH more accurate reading on where the enemy is.

To install mods, unzip them, and move the ‘gui’ folder to:

C:/Games/WorldofTanks/Res_mods/8.x.x

No further installation is required.

2.) Scouting

There’s three types of scouting. Suicide scouting, pass scouting, and bush spotting.

I’ll start with suiscouting. Never do it. Suicide scouting (or “suiscouting”), does not show any skill at all. All it is is running to the enemy base, lighting everything you can in hopes of a medal, and then dying. This is the noob way of scouting. You will not get very much credits/exp AT ALL for doing this. What gives a scout credits and exp is DuS, or, “Damage upon spotting”. DuS is when you light a target, and teammates shoot it. This is a significant credit boost. My first patrol duty award, I got near 45k (with premium), and it was, if my memory serves me correctly, 4k damage upon spotting in a tier 7 battle. The only thing suicide scouts accomplish is hurting the team. If they aren't doing anything to help it, and they're dying in the process, then they are hurting the team.

Pass scouting – Pass scouting is the safest way to active scout. Instead of rushing and dying, you make passes by a particular area and light everything you can before ducking back into cover. This “area” should have a pre-planned escape route, so you don’t end up sleeping with the fishes. If active scouting is done properly, you can get a scout medal, still survive, and maybe (if you did very well), get a patrol duty award. The thing with active scouting, is that it’s only practical if teammates can hit what you light. Lighting something that is halfway across a map doesn’t really help your team. Instead, light an area that is ahead of their push, so that you can escape while the enemy is in a duel with your team.

Bush scouting – Bush scouting is probably the hardest form of scouting, but also the most efficient. With Bush scouting, it requires you to speed ahead to a bush, and stay camoed up while you light the enemy. This type of scouting is HIGHLY dependent on what is set up on your tank. The most common tanks for this kind of scouting is the Chaffee, T-50, and T-50-2. This is what you should have on your tank to passive scout:

Crew: All need 100% camo. Commander should have sixth sense, and recon. Sixth sense is key. If you don’t know when to leave, you’re dead.

Equipment: Camo net, binocular telescope, and ventilation.

Here’s a good setup for a scout tank

If you’re going to scout like this, you need to find a bush in front of a hill, so that if you’re lit, you can quickly retreat before you die.

Scouting can be fun, but you need to understand something about some tanks: they are not meant to be mediums. Some lights can be used as flankers (like the French lights, or the VK2801), but mostly, you need to be doing some type of scouting.

“What type of scouting is best for my tank?”

If you have a fast top speed, fast turn rate, and good view range, then you need to pass scout. You could also bush scout if you have a good camo rating. If you have a high top speed, but a terrible turn rate, then you need to be making passes by a particular area, or bush scout. Some tanks (like the VK2801), with their big 105mm derps, can be used to flank late in the matches.

One thing that all scout tanks require is a good radio. A scout without a good radio is useless. If you light stuff that is far out, but your arty can’t hit it, then what good are you doing?

If you want to learn more on scouting, Tazilon has many good guides in this section.

I should make a note from Tazilon:

View PostTazilon, on Dec 15 2012 - 07:10, said:

It is OFTEN good to light up tanks far across the map - especially if you have Arty.  Even if you don't, it lets your team see where the enemy is moving to.

This does not mean, "rush to the enemy base". It means to light some stuff, and leave. If you go too close, you might not come out.

3.) Artillery

Artillery is probably the easiest thing in the game to play. A typical setup for an arty should look like this:

Crew: Camo, sixth sense for commander

Equipment: Camo net, Rammer, GLD (Gun laying drive)

Ammo loadout: I keep mostly standard shells, but you can do well loading at least 1 or 2 HEAT rounds per game (Whatever type of premium shell it is)

One thing that helps artillery is the “x key”. This key locks your hull, so that if you move your overhead reticle beyond your field of aiming, your tank does not turn, so your reticle does not get bigger. This key is very important to use. It’s a toggle key, so you have to press x again to take it off. Another trick that can help artillery is to turn on cruise control, and then press spacebar. If you do this, then you can go into overhead view, and, If you haven’t turned, when you fire, your tank will automatically move forward to escape counter battery fire.

Counter battery fire is one of two things arty has to worry about. Your tracer is visible to enemy arty, so when you fire, enemy arty can guess your location, and kill you. This trick takes a long time to master. I’m not very good at it, so I will not be offering advice on it.
The other thing arty has to worry about is enemy scouts. Lemming teams tend to not care about their arty, because scouts are hard to hit. TD mode has no real manual, it only takes practice. The only thing to remember is that arty shells travel a bit slower, so lead your target slightly more.

The thing that makes a good arty is its arc. A high arc can shoot over obstacles, and penetrate the top armor, while a low arc can be almost like direct fire and it often misses its target. For artillery, all different nations have different quirks:

American – Powerful past tier 4. I don’t have very much experience with this line.

German – Low arcs, powerful guns even in low tiers. Some people don’t like the German arties due to the low arc. If you play German arties, I recommend shooting targets as far back as possible so that you can get a good arc.

Russian – Russian arties are probably the best in the game. They all have extremely high arcs, and they have the biggest guns on any tier 6 arty, while the end tier has the smallest gun, it is also the most accurate.

French – Low arcs, high penetration guns. They used to be the best at TD mode, but then WG nerfed them.
Artillery can be very fun to play, as it can cause good damage, and occasionally has those incredible shots that cause massive damage to it’s foes.

4.) Chatting in-game

Ignore the chat box while in a duel. Distractions like that can lead to big mistakes. If you need to use the chat box, make your messages short, easy to understand, and to the point. If someone spams the chat box, I have only one tip (Actually, it’s jd’s tip):

Step 1: Hold control
Step 2: Right click on spammers name
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit!!

5.) Overextending.

Overextending is one of the main things that makes a player bad. Take it from me. I’m not a very good player, and over-extending is the reason. Overextending is when you push too far ahead of your teammates. It opens up all sorts of avenues for the enemy to flank you. If you overextend, chances are, you will die before you even cause your own hp in damage. If you stay with a push however, you can do much better than you can if you overextend. Let the scouts do the lighting, while you handle the shooting.

Know your tank. If you have weak armor, then don't push up ahead of your teammates. Wait for them to move up, and move with them in a sort of middle zone. Also, if you want to push up, make that known to your teammates, so you don't end up overextending.

6.) Minimap and situational awareness

Watching the minimap…is probably the best skill to have. Glance at it ever 10-15 seconds or so just to check on what is happening. If you see crap happening in your area, get out. If you see crap happening in another area, go help.

One thing that can help you to remember to watch the minimap is to turn your sound off for a few matches, or listen to music. This forces you to use your minimap for situational awareness more, because you can’t go by sound.

If you look at your minimap and you see a 4:1 ratio of enemytanks:friendlytanks, and you don’t feel like you can sufficiently influence the situation, then you need to leave the area, and re-group. Ask for arty support (if available), and find a better position.

7.) Angling

Angling is one of the most crucial skills you can have in this game. I’ve made a guide on angling before, you can go to it here. I’ll give a quick overview with diagrams though. Here’s a couple good angles to use:

Posted Image

The picture above is a fun trick to use, because the enemy think you are a noob who doesn’t know how to properly angle, and then ends up spamming at your tracks which absorb the shot.

Posted Image

This angle keeps your engine more safe than the previous angle, but you can’t see the enemy as well.

Posted Image

This is probably the most common angle you will encounter. The only downside to it is that to shoot the enemy, you have to expose your sides. You can come around the corner at a good angle though.

8.) Weakspots.

There’s plenty of weakspot guides out there, so I won’t spend too much time on it. Here are some different weakspot guides:

Sadukars high tier weakspot guide

My low tier weakspot guide

Just keep in mind the following rules of thumb:

A. The LFP is the weakspot on almost all tanks (Some American mediums and TD’s are an exception)
B. The commanders cupola is almost always a weakspot
C. The MG port (Machine gun port) on the front of a tank is always weaker than the rest of it's UFP.

Weakspots are the most important thing to know about WoT. If you get to higher tiers, but don’t know how to shoot, then what can you do? Speaking of how to shoot, read this guide to learn the best spot on shooting a tank. I’ll post the diagram from it:

Posted Image

In the diagram above, the two lines represent two shots from the same tank against the LFP of another tank. Shooting the side of the other tanks LFP nearer to you is always best, because the side nearer to you is closer to a 90 degree angle, and therefore, thinner.

9.) Tactics do’s and don’ts.

I’ll go through a couple of them:

A. Following a target into enemy territory. I was in the Cromwell recently on the south side of wide park. I was hurting pretty bad (only 7 hp left). It was me and a couple other teammates holding off a type from one side of the tracks (not sure why so many of us were in one area. Suddenly, this type 59 decides to push on my. He successfully killed me, but he lost all 1300 hp in the process. I don’t think trading 1300 hp from a tier 8 for 7 hp of a tier 6 is a good trade. Instead, be patient. Wait for your enemy to make the mistake. When you get careless, or impatient, that’s when you start to make mistakes and bad decisions.

B. Taking on a multiple enemies. The main rule in this skillset is to try to take on as few at a time as possible. Take this picture:

Posted Image

What is he doing wrong? He has three tanks shooting at him, while he could minimize that number to two, if he simply retreated 5 meters. In my opinion, retreating and giving yourself a better shot at survival is better than shooting a tank while putting yourself at unnecessary risk. It would have taken me several of his reload cycles to get there, so he might have been able to kill either of the two mediums that were by him.

C. Don’t sit still between shots. When you take a shot, move forward and backward to make it harder for the enemy to hit you between your shots. Sitting still and spamming shots only makes it easier for the enemy to hit you.

D. Always stay as arty safe as possible. If you are in an area near a cliff or a rock, and you’re not hugging it, then you will soon find out why Garbad hates arty so much.

E. When corner fighting, always remember to angle. Remember, If you take five seconds to do something right, then it might save you five minutes longer alive. I’ve seen enemy tanks just sit there and shoot at me while giving me their broadside, not bothering to angle because they don’t want to lose time shooting at me. It always ends the same for them: They always die. If they had taken just a few seconds to turn, they might have lived and prevailed.

F. Pushing. When you push, minimize the area that people can see you. If you’re going up a cliff on El Halluf or a similar map, don’t rush up the middle of the cliff. This puts you under fire from both sides. If you stick to one side, that forces the enemy to come out into the open to catch you.

10.) Taking initiative.

This is similar to watching a minimap. People not taking initiative is what really hurts a team. If the ratio of tanks on one side of a map to another is at least 3:1, and you’re one of the three, then you need to take some initiative and go to the other side (provided you’re not super slow tank like the TOG or Maus). Even if you have a max speed of 35 kph, you can be at the other side of the map in time to make a difference.

Another big thing in taking initiative is to help your teammates (even the noob ones). If someone wants to be a noob and suiscout, take initiative and try to make the most of it. Do not do this if it means putting you, or a teammate at high risk. If the enemy makes a mistake, it is your job to capitalize on it. If you see an enemy tank overextend off a hill, and you’re in the position to do something about it without putting yourself at risk, capitalize on that opportunity and try to get him as hurt as possible.

And beyond watching the minimap which should go without saying, sometimes you need to take a hit. I was in a match on fjords recently in my T32 (4.4k damage 6 kill defeat), and I was on 1% health against a M18 with gold (blue tracers). There was a VK4502A sitting next to me at 52% health. The dude was scared to peak out. Crap like that is beyond unacceptable. They were capping us at this point and we needed to move, but if you're sitting there doing absolutely nothing, that hurts the chance of winning. We ended up sitting there for about 15 seconds before I just decided to take the lead because he was being the most useless player on earth. Luckily the hellcat missed entirely and I killed him before he reloaded. Point is, a T32 with weaker armor on 1% health should not have to lead the charge against a hellcat when you're sitting there at 52% in your heavily armored tank. It could have been what cost us the match.

11.) Platoons.

Platooning is one of the best ways you can improve your WR. There are very simple rules for successful platooning:
  • Do not platoon out of your tier (eg: Don't platoon a KV-1S with an IS-3. Platooning out of your tier does nothing but hurt your chances of winning.
  • Make sure your platoon mates know the basics of the game. If you know weakspots and angling, and your platoon mates don't, than they're not much better than the average pubbie and will not contribute very much.
  • If you do not have premium, but your platoon mate does, tell him to make one and invite a third for higher winning odds
  • With a platoon of three, try to get a setup of one two heavies and a med, or one scout and an two arties.
  • Make sure you have at least one speedy/mobile tank in the platoon. I can't tell you how many times I've seen matches lost because there wasn't enough speed to go reset the base.

To make sure you're platooning within your tier, refer to the chart below:

Posted Image

Conclusion:

To help become a better player, angle your armor, shoot weakspots, watch your minimap, and don’t be afraid to leave a position because you think you won’t have time to get to another area. I hope somebody learned something in this guide!

TheM0untaineer #2 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 13:49

Major

• Players
  • 22562 battles
Whoops. There seems to be some problems with the URL codes. Give me a couple minutes.

MrAktilos #3 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 14:08

Captain

• Players
  • 25292 battles
  • [_GD_] _GD_
Lile it. Pretty helpfull. Thanx for doing it!

PunCzarBlintz #4 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 14:22

Major

• Players
  • 86721 battles
Good solid basics stated once again.  
Keep up the good work.

If we get some of the <46% crowd to 50% the games will be more exciting.

Lert #5 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 14:54

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44867 battles
Not bad. Good collection of tips, in general.

TheM0untaineer #6 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 14:55

Major

• Players
  • 22562 battles

View PostLert, on Dec 14 2012 - 14:54, said:

Not bad. Good collection of tips, in general.

Thanks!

Lert #7 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 14:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44867 battles
My favorite part of this guide is the tag, though.

TheM0untaineer #8 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 15:12

Major

• Players
  • 22562 battles

View PostLert, on Dec 14 2012 - 14:59, said:

My favorite part of this guide is the tag, though.

lol

antonov225 #9 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 15:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5328 battles
  • [TOGII] TOGII
Great guide, but you said the SU-85 should have gone into cover, but he was tracked. Was he already tracked when you shot him, or did you track him when you shot him?

minerguy1 #10 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 15:34

Captain

• Players
  • 22028 battles
Hay navy im soo glad you posted this. I really like the information. And i definitely need it lol

TheM0untaineer #11 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 15:45

Major

• Players
  • 22562 battles

View Postantonov225, on Dec 14 2012 - 15:23, said:

Great guide, but you said the SU-85 should have gone into cover, but he was tracked. Was he already tracked when you shot him, or did you track him when you shot him?

I'm not sure.

minerguy1 #12 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 15:58

Captain

• Players
  • 22028 battles

View Postantonov225, on Dec 14 2012 - 15:23, said:

How can you tell he is tracked?

TheM0untaineer #13 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 15:59

Major

• Players
  • 22562 battles

View Postminerguy1, on Dec 14 2012 - 15:58, said:

How can you tell he is tracked?

By looking at his tracks in the picture.

minerguy1 #14 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 16:02

Captain

• Players
  • 22028 battles

View PostNavySnipers, on Dec 14 2012 - 15:59, said:

By looking at his tracks in the picture.
The image is really disorted for me...I blame the school laptop

TheM0untaineer #15 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 17:13

Major

• Players
  • 22562 battles

View PostColdWar82, on Dec 14 2012 - 14:22, said:

Good solid basics stated once again.  
Keep up the good work.

If we get some of the <46% crowd to 50% the games will be more exciting.

The problem is, only a very small portion of <46%ers read the guides section.

Fishrokk #16 Posted Dec 14 2012 - 18:14

Major

• Players
  • 22360 battles
  • [K-S-W] K-S-W
Navy - I have a fine point to add to your artillery section.  I drive a Grille, and as you mention the flat arc can be a problem.  I've developed a little trick to help out with that.  When I can, I find an area to set up where I can nose up on an incline with the gun pointed in the direction I want to shoot.  This provides artificial gun elevation, and that higher shell trajectory that I'm looking for.  When you're playing shoot-n-scoot, it can sometimes be difficult to find a good spot, but when you can it is very effective.

There is one drawback, though.  When you do this, you trade elevation for declination - you end up with an effective 'minimum' range, because you can't get your gun down far enough to shoot close to you.

Oh - and the heading for section 5 should be at least as big as the other headings.  I'm not being nit-picky, but it's an important section (and my most common mistake).  If anything, it should be bigger than the rest!

Edited by Fishrokk, Dec 14 2012 - 18:43.

TheM0untaineer #17 Posted Dec 15 2012 - 02:17

Major

• Players
  • 22562 battles

View PostFishrokk, on Dec 14 2012 - 18:14, said:

Navy - I have a fine point to add to your artillery section.  I drive a Grille, and as you mention the flat arc can be a problem.  I've developed a little trick to help out with that.  When I can, I find an area to set up where I can nose up on an incline with the gun pointed in the direction I want to shoot.  This provides artificial gun elevation, and that higher shell trajectory that I'm looking for.  When you're playing shoot-n-scoot, it can sometimes be difficult to find a good spot, but when you can it is very effective.

There is one drawback, though.  When you do this, you trade elevation for declination - you end up with an effective 'minimum' range, because you can't get your gun down far enough to shoot close to you.

Oh - and the heading for section 5 should be at least as big as the other headings.  I'm not being nit-picky, but it's an important section (and my most common mistake).  If anything, it should be bigger than the rest!

I'm not sure putting your arty on an incline helps. Doesn't the game compensate for that?

TheM0untaineer #18 Posted Dec 15 2012 - 02:18

Major

• Players
  • 22562 battles
Uh oh! I completely forgot to copy over section 5.

nvm, I just forgot to put it in bold.

techjr #19 Posted Dec 15 2012 - 05:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3797 battles
Thanks for posting the guide which is easier to follow than some of the others.

I think adding a hull down part or what tanks should take advantage of ditches and rubble etc should be added too. Seems like a lot of players don't grasp that concept/

Edited by techjr, Dec 15 2012 - 06:02.

David_90539 #20 Posted Dec 15 2012 - 06:08

Captain

• Players
  • 6513 battles
Nice guide navy.  Good read too, love the pictures with "nub" "building" and "you".  Good angling tips, Hadn't really thought about it much, gonna try those out next battle :D

Also tagged with REMOVE_STUFF_FROM_THE_GAME

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users