6 replies to this topic

Folterknecht #1 Posted Dec 15 2012 - 11:10

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 836 battles
  • [LABS] LABS
The GW-E

Posted Image

The GW-E is based on the chassis of the E-100. The E-Series was a attempt to standardize the german tank production late in the war. The goal was to reach an easier and cheaper to produce line of vehicles for different purposes. The GW-E never reached the prototype stage.
When you have researched the GW-E everthing except top engine and the 2nd set of tracks should already be avaible from the GW-Tiger. Many players will already have researched the top engine. If not I would still go for the tracks first even though standard tracks have the same load capacity. The added traverse speed is noticable.

The GW-E has the following main properties which also greatly influence skills and equipment:
- worst mobility of all t8 artis
- good amount of HE damage per hit (2nd place among t8 artis)
- medicore accuracy
- can absorb more HE damage than any other t8 arti

The GW-E is more or less  a jack of all trades but only achieves the top scores when it comes to ramming enemies, something nobody is really interested when playing arti. Your accuracy is good enough to hit quite often and the splash radius is also ok, which allows you to damage tanks hiding behind cover. But in every discipline you will find artis that are doing better.
Before we can spread our love in form of 21cm presents on the battlefields, we have to outfit this juggernaut with the right equipment and teach the crew some tricks. Usefull mods will also be mentioned.

Equipment and consumables for the GW-E

To increase the mobility of your GW-E play with 100 octane gasoline. It doesnt help much but with this slow and cumbersome arti every bit of mobility one can get is needed. This helps you to avoid enemy counter arti and also in close combat. For CW take out 100 octane and replace it with chocolate, this is just as important as gold amo. It increases overall crew performance by 10% including accuracy, aimtime, reload time and mobility.

The choices for equipment on arti are quite clear: gun laying drive for faster aiming and rammer for faster reload. Now you may ask optics - wtf? The one who spots first, will shoot first or can run for cover ... and sometimes it even happens that arti has to scout. In the second half of the match many tanks are also driving around with damaged optics, giving you a HUGE advantage (~390m + Optics + Viewrange skills vs. damaged tanks with normal viewrange between 390 - 400m).
Furthermore camo on t6+ arti is mostly useless (see camo values below). These SPGs have a camo value nearly as bad as a Maus , so there is absolutly no sense in wasting a slot for camo net (every hull movement negates the effect by the way), and if u re spotted, your team fucked it up (not you) in most cases.

Camo values for T8 artis in % for standing/moving/firing - source:
GW-E - 1 - 0,5 – 0,06 -> Camo as a skill is useless for these big artis!!!
I have also seen some players who mounted a spall liner on their arti. This is a really bad idea, because it decreases your mobility even more. It weights 1t for a GW-E and makes dodging of counter arti or infighting more difficult.

Crew skills and Perks
The first crew skill for the whole arti crew should be BIA, it increases every aspect of crew and vehicle performance by 5%. After that you gonna pick individual skills and perks for the crew members.

Commander – he should take Mentor or 6th sense a his second skill. Personally I m not a big fan of 6th Sense. I m mostly playing my t8 artis in CW or company nowdays with competent teams. So there arnt that many enemy tanks suddenly poping up in front of my arti. If you play much random or grinding up the tech tree take 6th Sense.
Repair makes a good 3rd or 4th skill for the commander.
Mentor is a good option because in the long run it accelerates the crew progression.

Gunner - Snap shoot right after BIA as the 2nd skill. The aiming circle doesnt become that big while moving the barrel, so less time is wasted with aiming, even a fraction of a second will make the difference sometimes. This is followed by Repair and afterwards camo (useless as it is). Sadly there arnt any other options that make much sense: deadeye only works with AP and APCR and the accuracy and penetration for the GW-E arnt good enough to fire regular AP on t10 tanks.

Radio Operator - Aside from Situational Awereness there arnt that many "new" usefull skills, so stick with BIA, Repair and situational awereness., which increases your viewrange by 3%, or ~12m; camo as the 4th skill. The skills that extend the radio range are useless atm because the maps are to small.

Driver skills - As 2nd  skill take clutchbraking and 3rd off raod driving followed by smooth ride or repair. - Oh yes :-) - nothing beats "AP time" when u re forced to do some infighting. The happy vibes coming over ingame chat after u blasted the enemy into tankers heaven ... . An other important aspect is the repositioning after u fired your shoot. These skills in that order will really improve your mobility. It will make it nearly impossible to counter you even if you re in a GW-E, proper terrain utilization and movement right after you fired is needed of course.
The gameplay video below nicely illustrates the benefits of the driver skills. Without them I wouldnt have survived this battle!

Loaders - Safe stowage should be the 2nd  skill for one loader because artis are prone to amorack explosions when shot by tanks. The other specific loader perks (adrenaline rush and intuition) are also usefull from time to time so one should use them. Aside from that just take repair and after that camo.
A few words regarding Repair. It's also very important for arti. If enemy arti or a tank in close combat tracks you, it often helps you to survive these tricky situations by getting them up faster! First time you will use your repair kit of course but after that this skill can safe you. I often encountered enemies that where really suprised how fast I had my tracks  up and started to turn the 21cm of doom into their face. It wont help against good players but the noobs are in for a suprise ;-) .

The following mods can really help you to become a better arti player:
- reload timer and shell travel timer (included in Jimb0s Crosshair for example)
- XVM shows who is really dangerous in the enemy team and should be taken care of first
- the old serverside crosshair like in 0.7.4 and before („capslock+0“)is also a must have in my opinion. The difference between client and server can be really big especially for players with ping above 70ms or an unstable ping. So I strongly advice to use it for better accuracy. This link gives a short explanation and the needed files to bring it back. The current implementation by WG leaves much to be desired. It 's to jumpy for playing tanks or even aiming with arti in close combat. So better use the mod linked above.

Playing the GW-E
isnt that much different from GW-Tiger or Obj 212. The most important thing for me is to position these slow moving and turning giants in a way that doesnt hinder acceleration or even support it. That means stay on solid or at least moderatly soft ground. Areas on the map that have a high ground resistance will make you an easy target for enemy counterfire or approaching enemy tanks because it slows you down even more. You can improve your mobility by parking these artis on small bumps in the terrain which gives you a nice speed boost when moving down from them after your shots. Dont park your arti in terrain depressions unless they are big enough for unhindered movement after every shot, climbing out of there is a really a time consuming operation.
After you gained some speed turn also slightly left or right or even move backward righ after your shot. Movement patters make you predictable and easier to counter.

Posted Image

Also avoid driving down trees, walls, fences or other stuff it gives away your position as you can see below:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Shooting and aiming with the GW-E is similar to the GW-Tiger except that you have a bigger gun traverse, not much but its better. Most of the time you have to use HE shells nethertheless some AP can also come in handy from time to time. Dont worry you can carry 30 shells so you wont run out of amo. The GW-E sadly has the worst penetration with AP of all t8 artis and the accuracy on greater distances isnt that good either, which makes HE the amo type of choice. You can try to shoot the sides of E100s and Maus with AP but all other t10 tanks are ether hard to hit or have to much armor to penetrate them reliable from greater distances (AMX50B is of course also easy to penetrate but quite mobile). AP on the GW-E works good in infights or cityfights when you can suprise your enemies or against mediums in close range sometimes, but that is often like russian roulette so better stick with HE there and maybe ram them if you managed to track the him (~87,5 t is your weight so dont forget that).

Folterknecht #2 Posted Dec 15 2012 - 11:10

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 836 battles
  • [LABS] LABS
Aiming with the GW-E … well there is no way to discribe it properly, it comes down to experience and practice. I can only give some hints. The german „21cm Mörser 18/2“ takes the middle spot in the arc of trajectory.

Posted Image

While the Obj 261 has a flat trajectory often resulting in shots that fall short and the T92 with it's steep trajectory making it ideal the shoot behind cover or over hills, the GW-E is in the middle of that. What does this mean for aiming? When you shot a stationary target lets say a KingTiger or E-75 the upper front plate or turret front where the gun emerges from the turret are probably the best spots to aim. The Obj 261 on the other hand will aim at the turret roof (frontal part).And always keep in mind the difference between serverside crosshair and clientside. The serverside crosshair is lagging behind the clientside in most cases.

Posted Image

At the end of this guide I d like to show you 3 videos featuring the GW-E. The first battle is from 13th September 2012 (game version 0.7.5) on El Halluf causing 4712 dmg to the red guys. Nothing special about this replay. These days the the insane amout of artis in randoms  arnt much fun even for arti players, because there arnt many tanks to shot at (->less XP and credits).

The second video is one of my best rounds xp wise in the GW-E, scoring more than 1800XP and 7 Kills on Swamp in a random battle from february 2012.

The third video is one of the notorious PTS-Arti-Parties (t10 company battle). It s really fun to take part in those, as long as you are in the right team. The replay is pretty old from beginning of 2012, taking place in El Halluf – enjoy!

http://youtu.be/VgSIqwIVxgM

As you can see from the first El Halluf video and the one on Himmeldorf the GW-E really gained from the new crew skills mobility wise compared to the battles on Swamp and the arti party. The later two videos are from the 0.7.1.1 game version. Sadly I wasnt able to capture the ingame sound there.

Folterknecht #3 Posted Dec 15 2012 - 11:11

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 836 battles
  • [LABS] LABS
platzhalter

accelerate #4 Posted Dec 15 2012 - 11:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10180 battles
JOIN ME AND GARBAD:
REMOVE ARTY FROM GAME

Edited by accelerate, Dec 15 2012 - 11:31.

GhostUnitVII #5 Posted Dec 15 2012 - 11:40

Captain

• Players
  • 23386 battles

View Postaccelerate, on Dec 15 2012 - 11:30, said:

JOIN ME AND GARBAD:
REMOVE ARTY FROM GAME

hmmm... no

I like my M40/43, so much fun, earlyer i did 1110 damage to a T110E5. If people cant get to cover, its not my problem its theirs.

Edited by GhostUnitVII, Dec 15 2012 - 11:41.

jakesddfj #6 Posted Dec 17 2012 - 04:24

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Content Removed

Perma - 0 Game offending account
~Sir_Explosion

zhengyi23 #7 Posted Dec 24 2012 - 03:21

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Content Removed