XVM Stat on Windows 8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Sandman1969 #21 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 19:01

Major

• Players
  • 11830 battles
  • [-AIA-] -AIA-
I am using Windows 8 Pro & the only thing compatibility wise that I had to set was for the Dokan app. WoT itself works just fine out of the box.

JoeBobRiggs #22 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 16:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29738 battles
I like this topic of the XVM with windows 8. My brother has it installed on his computer and I didn't want to deal with his crap. Good initial post anyway. It will help those who actually use windows 8. Not a flame channel on what OS is better. Considering I know people who still use Windows 98. They are idiots but to each his own.

Telarik #23 Posted Jan 08 2013 - 00:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7350 battles

View PostJunior_g99p, on Jan 02 2013 - 04:45, said:

I'm assuming you're not a power user or programmer, nor do you have a technical computer background; If my assumptions are wrong, then you have a stronger stomach than I.

I build gaming and server systems for a living, I have a tech background and consider myself a power user.... when i speak about windows 8 over anything else i am not being short sighted in my approach, my opinion is that this OS will improve drastically and the structure as well as support base for it as of now will encourage it to do so.

View PostHirumaru, on Jan 02 2013 - 11:05, said:

Perhaps if you used proper capitalization, punctuation, and grammar, as well as toned down your use of ellipses, I MIGHT take you seriously when you talk about "OS subsystems". Until then, I ask for a more substantive dismissal of my opinion regarding how the mentioned operating systems have been received. Not simply in regards to their superficial prettiness (aesthetics) but their approachability by common users and power users. what matters more than what an OS looks like, or how well it performs under the hood, is how well it meets the needs and expectations of current and future adopters of that platform. Just because a tool is technically better doesn't mean anyone wants to use it.

well im sorry, i hadnt realized the topic of this post was my capitalization, punctuation or grammar...... furthermore i think opening an objective reply focusing on something other than the topic at hand (which you posted) actually makes you out to be more of an ego driven troller, rather than someone looking to hear another persons opinion... the approachability was what i was referring to in that most cant get or see past the aesthetics (thanks for dumbing it down before using such a complex word btw) far enough to see what it actually is.... try to re-read and focus on what i was actually saying instead of simply seeing that i disagree and then attempt to prove i am wrong by proclaiming my mistakes in something unrelated...........

General insults (minor). Warning issued.
~SgtGrunt

Edited by SgtGrunt, Jan 11 2013 - 07:58.

Hirumaru #24 Posted Jan 08 2013 - 01:10

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 6414 battles

View PostTelarik, on Jan 08 2013 - 00:09, said:

well im sorry, i hadnt realized the topic of this post was my capitalization, punctuation or grammar......

Credibility is paramount. The inability to effectively verbalize your opinion with even the simplest nuances—capitalization, punctuation, grammar, etc—tends to curtail one's credibility. Lacking adequate secondary confirmation of credentials you're still not very believable.

You build systems. Good for you. Anyone can put a simple machine together and install any OS. That doesn't make you a qualified expert on "OS subsystems".

Give an in depth explanation of your opinion, or I'll just have to sweep aside your hollow recommendations of Windows 8 by reminding you that Windows 7 was, in fact, the much desired "improvement" to Windows Vista. That is to say, everything they get wrong in the interim OS they get right—or get rid of—in the next release.

Telarik #25 Posted Jan 08 2013 - 05:58

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7350 battles

View PostHirumaru, on Jan 08 2013 - 01:10, said:

Credibility is paramount. The inability to effectively verbalize your opinion with even the simplest nuances—capitalization, punctuation, grammar, etc—tends to curtail one's credibility. Lacking adequate secondary confirmation of credentials you're still not very believable.

You build systems. Good for you. Anyone can put a simple machine together and install any OS. That doesn't make you a qualified expert on "OS subsystems".

Give an in depth explanation of your opinion, or I'll just have to sweep aside your hollow recommendations of Windows 8 by reminding you that Windows 7 was, in fact, the much desired "improvement" to Windows Vista. That is to say, everything they get wrong in the interim OS they get right—or get rid of—in the next release.

that is precisely what i said in my comments, my comments about being short sighted and having a stable base... maybe you would have noted that if you would look around the giant inflated ego you seem to be overwhelmed with.... the original post wasnt asking credentials, this is world of tanks not a resume cover letter or in depth analysis. pompous and arrogant is a great approach to hearing what people have to say when you make a blanketed statement about something that you dont have enough information about given the original comment you made.

anyhow, its clear at this point that you arent even going to focus on the topic at hand..... instead you will make a comment on grammar or how i need to be a software master programmer to have an opinion against what you see as right. fairly obvious you are here to troll anyone who disagreed. so long.....

Hirumaru #26 Posted Jan 08 2013 - 14:38

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 6414 battles
No, you just need to make something more qualified than an unsupported comment about "subsystems" in order to contradict the opinions of fellow posters as to whether Windows 8 is worthwhile, in comparison with previous iterations of the Windows OS.

You said I was "only looking as deep as the graphical interface". I believe I've made my case that YOU are the one being pompous, arrogant, and dismissive. Windows Vista was a drastic improvement over Windows XP, yes. That was not in question. What I did point out was how critical first adopters during its initial testing and release. There is more to an OS than the invisible subsystems you seem to be in love with.

They always commented on how much the OS had improved and yet still felt off. Not just the graphical interface but the experience of working with the system itself. What matters more than the features an OS brings to bear is how useful, approachable, and concise they are for the user. The more trivial, the deeper it is buried behind menus and interfaces, the more cumbersome it is to use, the less it will seem worthwhile.

Vista was an improvement but an awkward one. It had features, had improvements, but XP just did everything it did better and was less of a nuisance to the user. Just as Windows 8 will inevitably be regarded when compared to Windows 7 and to the OS that must follow it.

I have made my case. Now where the hell is yours, for all of that grammatically hideous, odiously self-righteous, narcissistically defensive drivel?

Telarik #27 Posted Jan 08 2013 - 15:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7350 battles
you put on a good show, you edit the comment\reply to make sure its perfect before replying to what ive said.... Ive looked at unrelated comments you left in the forums and i find it a bit humorous that you speak nothing like this in ANY of them... you come across more as an attention\feedback driven pre-teen..... the fact of the matter is i dont feel the need to impose grammatical perfection as a way to flaunt some pseudo intellect in order to sway an argument my way... im done letting you troll me now, have a good one.

Hirumaru #28 Posted Jan 08 2013 - 20:18

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 6414 battles
Argumentum ad hominem is for the man who has nothing left to say.

As I said, your lack of proper grammar made it harder to believe your claims. As such, you needed to go an extra mile to make such criticisms pertinent but irrelevant. You have not once done so.

To be quite honest I don't mind your lack of capitalization or punctuation, or even your sentence structure that leaves something to be desired. What I do mind is that you haven't even bothered to offer a single word to substantiate your claims that I only cared about the GUI and that the "subsystems" were all that mattered.

Do you have anything to offer or shall we call this checkmate?

IM0001 #29 Posted Jan 08 2013 - 23:01

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12303 battles
  • [SG] SG
Considering 8 is a new OS, some old apps that do not identify any OS outside of the ones they were programed to check for can run into issues like this. As shown Compatibility Mode fixes it most of the time. As for the Windows 8 Nay Sayers, well it is obvious none of you have actually "used" the OS, and with that have no idea that it actually is equally or even more compatible with past programs then 7. While 7 was great for sure, Windows 8 adds just that much more under the hood to make it even better. Better multi-core support, better multi monitor support, better file management, it even has native X79 drivers built in which makes installing it a breeze.

Telarik #30 Posted Jan 09 2013 - 00:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7350 battles

View PostIM0001, on Jan 08 2013 - 23:01, said:

Considering 8 is a new OS, some old apps that do not identify any OS outside of the ones they were programed to check for can run into issues like this. As shown Compatibility Mode fixes it most of the time. As for the Windows 8 Nay Sayers, well it is obvious none of you have actually "used" the OS, and with that have no idea that it actually is equally or even more compatible with past programs then 7. While 7 was great for sure, Windows 8 adds just that much more under the hood to make it even better. Better multi-core support, better multi monitor support, better file management, it even has native X79 drivers built in which makes installing it a breeze.

agreed, you find that most will condemn the OS without a proper trial run..... seems to be the "its different and i dont understand it so it must be bad" process.

Hirumaru #31 Posted Jan 09 2013 - 00:37

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 6414 battles
You have yet to answer me, Telarik. Not since I first rebutted your comment on my post.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users