I suck at WOT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

The_Solution #1 Posted Dec 22 2012 - 02:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
But I'm trying to improve.

I have been seeing a lot of (dare I say) stat junkies calling out people's stats since I came back to WOT. So out of interest I looked mine up and quite frankly I suck at this game. I was of the notion that I play for fun and didn't care about stats. Well since I have been working on improving my game the fun factor has increased. There's no better feeling than knowing you did your bit for your team, win or lose. So here is what I have been working on

1. Working as a team. This does not necessarily mean calling orders at the game start (I have noticed that this sometimes offends people especially lower tiers) but more unofficially buddying up with one or 2 other tanks.

2. Improving my hit ratio. Learning to lead targets makes for a great sense of achievement when you nail that tank going hell for leather across the open.

3. Improving my penetrating shots. Looking for the weakspots on tanks before firing (you know the green indicator) and better positioning myself to take advantage of these weakspots

4. Increasing my damage output. 1 and 2 should help with this. Currently I'm working on applying more damage to the enemy team than my tanks total hit-points.

5. Situational awareness. Trying to remember to keep an eye on the minimap even in the heat of battle and having a look around when waiting for a reload. Reacting to the teams map pings if possible or viable.

6. Patience. I have realized that way too many players are impatient (I was one of these) now I will wait and let them make the mistakes so I can capitalize on their mistake. We are given 10 - 15 minutes per game why rush to turn your tank into a smoking wreck?

7. Shoot and move. Going one for one  doesn't usually end well and sitting still makes you a big target for the entire enemy team (especially arty)

8. Return to the mid tiers. For some reason tier 5 through to 8 appear to provide the most fun but tier 5 & 6 seems to be the best for re-learning the game.

9. Take a break. I usually play 5-10 battles then I log off for a while sometimes I'll watch replays but mostly just go do some real life stuff. Some days that may be all I'll play. This seems to have been my biggest influence to improving my skills.

So far this is what I'm working on and so far my stats and win-rate are slowly increasing. Its a shame that it took me over 8000 games to realize this however it has been good for me on the SEA server. I am from Australia and kept being told by the log in screen that I should be playing the SEA server so I succumbed and started an account there. So now I play NA one day and SEA the next :)

Anyway I wanted to point this out and attempt to show that improving your stats is a good thing and does lead to more fun in the games. I by far am no means a stat junkie but working on improving them does ultimately lead to more enjoyment of the game if done in moderation.

I would gladly accept any advice on other areas of gameplay that may help me improve. I don't have the time to invest in clan wars and so far have not been a fan of tank company battles. I do platoon with my 2 sons every now and again but mainly play solo pubs. I dunno but I just enjoy trying to figure out 29 strangers and their individual gameplay.

So just my two cents worth hopefully some may read this and say yeah I could do that. Hopefully some will give some extra advice.

Either way remember it is a game so have fun tanking

rhino1111 #2 Posted Dec 22 2012 - 02:39

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
tl;dr it all.

but kudo's on trying to improve your gameplay.

Dayus #3 Posted Dec 22 2012 - 02:40

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I wish many other players were like you.

View Postrhino1111, on Dec 22 2012 - 02:39, said:

tl;dr it all.
but kudo's on trying to improve your gameplay.
I wish you would take a page from the op

Edited by Dayus, Dec 22 2012 - 02:41.

scharnhorst310 #4 Posted Dec 22 2012 - 02:47

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 0 battles
Congrats Solution, only wish more players would be like you.

As i've personally stated many times before... i don't mind players being bad, i mind players A. thinking they are great (when they are not) B. players refusing to get better because they believe stats indicate nothing, and that it is only luck whether they win or not.

I might be a good player, but I never think that I have nothing to learn or improve upon...

Whee #5 Posted Dec 22 2012 - 02:49

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Great! Just make sure that while you are improving to always have fun. Do what you can to improve, plenty of people and guides here to help you. :)

RobertFKennedy #6 Posted Dec 22 2012 - 03:12

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostThe_Solution, on Dec 22 2012 - 02:35, said:

But I'm trying to improve.

I have been seeing a lot of (dare I say) stat junkies calling out people's stats since I came back to WOT. So out of interest I looked mine up and quite frankly I suck at this game. I was of the notion that I play for fun and didn't care about stats. Well since I have been working on improving my game the fun factor has increased. There's no better feeling than knowing you did your bit for your team, win or lose. So here is what I have been working on

1. Working as a team. This does not necessarily mean calling orders at the game start (I have noticed that this sometimes offends people especially lower tiers) but more unofficially buddying up with one or 2 other tanks.

2. Improving my hit ratio. Learning to lead targets makes for a great sense of achievement when you nail that tank going hell for leather across the open.

3. Improving my penetrating shots. Looking for the weakspots on tanks before firing (you know the green indicator) and better positioning myself to take advantage of these weakspots

4. Increasing my damage output. 1 and 2 should help with this. Currently I'm working on applying more damage to the enemy team than my tanks total hit-points.

5. Situational awareness. Trying to remember to keep an eye on the minimap even in the heat of battle and having a look around when waiting for a reload. Reacting to the teams map pings if possible or viable.

6. Patience. I have realized that way too many players are impatient (I was one of these) now I will wait and let them make the mistakes so I can capitalize on their mistake. We are given 10 - 15 minutes per game why rush to turn your tank into a smoking wreck?

7. Shoot and move. Going one for one  doesn't usually end well and sitting still makes you a big target for the entire enemy team (especially arty)

8. Return to the mid tiers. For some reason tier 5 through to 8 appear to provide the most fun but tier 5 & 6 seems to be the best for re-learning the game.

9. Take a break. I usually play 5-10 battles then I log off for a while sometimes I'll watch replays but mostly just go do some real life stuff. Some days that may be all I'll play. This seems to have been my biggest influence to improving my skills.

So far this is what I'm working on and so far my stats and win-rate are slowly increasing. Its a shame that it took me over 8000 games to realize this however it has been good for me on the SEA server. I am from Australia and kept being told by the log in screen that I should be playing the SEA server so I succumbed and started an account there. So now I play NA one day and SEA the next :)

Anyway I wanted to point this out and attempt to show that improving your stats is a good thing and does lead to more fun in the games. I by far am no means a stat junkie but working on improving them does ultimately lead to more enjoyment of the game if done in moderation.

I would gladly accept any advice on other areas of gameplay that may help me improve. I don't have the time to invest in clan wars and so far have not been a fan of tank company battles. I do platoon with my 2 sons every now and again but mainly play solo pubs. I dunno but I just enjoy trying to figure out 29 strangers and their individual gameplay.

So just my two cents worth hopefully some may read this and say yeah I could do that. Hopefully some will give some extra advice.

Either way remember it is a game so have fun tanking

Here ya go:

http://forum.worldof...52#entry3308652

The_Solution #7 Posted Dec 22 2012 - 03:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thanks RFK good advice in there

Edited by The_Solution, Dec 22 2012 - 03:23.

rhino1111 #8 Posted Dec 22 2012 - 03:28

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDayus, on Dec 22 2012 - 02:40, said:

I wish many other players were like you.

I wish you would take a page from the op

why would I take a page from the OP? I've began my 'journey' of improving thousands of games ago, I'm also suprised you would even try to come at me like this.
I'm miles ahead of you in every single aspect of this game.

Look at our recent results, I've been doing 66%+ steady for months.

Posted Image

Posted Image

take it to noobmeter:

http://www.noobmeter...id=dsvxp3htqkt7

http://www.noobmeter...id=dsvxp3htqkt7

looks like you should take a page from my book yes?
in unrelated news: giving advice on how not to suck, PM for details.

RobertFKennedy #9 Posted Dec 24 2012 - 01:04

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostThe_Solution, on Dec 22 2012 - 03:22, said:

Thanks RFK good advice in there

No problem.  Also wanted to add: use equipment and consummables (small repair kit, small health kit and fire extinguisher).

As for equipment, my builds are usually like this:

Heavy;

Rammer
Vents
GLD

Med:

Rammer
Vents
GLD

TD:

Bincos
Camo
GLD

Scout:

V-Stab
Bincos/Optics
Vents

Not saying that's the best, just my personal preferences thus far.

Edited by Robert_F_Kennedy, Dec 24 2012 - 01:06.

Casual_Tanker #10 Posted Dec 24 2012 - 01:08

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
always get the aiming thing and reloading thing, for ANY tank.   the module is optional.

mp31b30q9 #11 Posted Dec 24 2012 - 01:23

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Don't worry OP.  My first 5K battles or so I ran around in my tanks Kursk style.