AMX 50 100 questions.

AMX 50 100

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

Tanks_A_Bunch #1 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 06:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18228 battles
  • [FUZ] FUZ
Ok i just got this tank AMX 50 100,  lacking the top 100mm gun and tracks.

So far this tank is not a sniper, front line or even a support tank.

I have no idea how to play it, it cannot even take out a type 59.

The dca 45, 90mm gun cannot pen even it's own armor.

It lacks the speed to be a good flank tank and has no armor to bounce any shot angling and wiggling do not help.

I am seriously at a loss at how to play this tank.

Any and all help offered will help me.

A_Defenseless_Kitten #2 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 06:40

Major

• Players
  • 23427 battles
  • [RMADA] RMADA
yes without it being upgraded this tank can be useless, be a heavy tanks gun buddy stay behind it and help it whenever you can till you get better stuff for the amx

once upgraded it can easily do massive damage to tier 10s with a breeze

Edited by _____Captian_HotDog_____, Dec 26 2012 - 06:41.

Tanks_A_Bunch #3 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 06:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18228 battles
  • [FUZ] FUZ
Thanks for the input.

I thought i was just missing something, i do remember this same tank ripping apart my IS7 a few months ago but after playing it a few matches i see that was all luck.

I can see i will not be playing this tank allot since it is more of a drawback than an asset to any team untill it is elited.

IceCorp #4 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 06:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11607 battles
It can basically fulfill almost any role.

This is how I play it:

I could provide extensive tips, but since you posted the following, I can not help you.

View PostTanks_A_Bunch, on Dec 26 2012 - 06:39, said:

The dca 45, 90mm gun cannot pen even it's own armor.

menochinese #5 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 06:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9479 battles
  • [LEGIT] LEGIT
Elite it, get the 100mm first, it is a support sniper and can handle the gun before the tracks. I love mine and have almost finished the grind to 50 120, it gets way, way, way better. I promise.

Tanks_A_Bunch #6 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 07:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18228 battles
  • [FUZ] FUZ
I can see the grind to the 100mm gun is going to be painful and slow, even gold rounds do not help with the middle gun.

Edited by Tanks_A_Bunch, Dec 26 2012 - 07:02.

anubis132 #7 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 07:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15580 battles
With the DCA 45, you are forced to shoot at tier 8+ heavy tanks from the side or rear only. Once you get the 100mm SA 47, you will be able to damage any equal tier tank frontally, except perhaps the T28. With that ability, the 50 100 makes an excellent support tank. Hover around your team's heavy tanks, and punish enemies that expose themselves. The French heavies have their own playstyle, and I didn't master it until I was in the 50 120; I also had trouble with the 50 100. Here are a few tips:
  • Firstly and most importantly, do not get spotted before the enemy tanks are engaged. If you do, it may be a good idea to relocate. An enemy heavy that is unaware of your presence will focus on your team's heavies, and will eventually expose himself to take a shot. If he knows you are there, he will play defensively. When he finally pops out or decides to move up, shoot his front drive sprocket - this will damage him and track him so you can follow up with your autoloader. Sixth Sense and 100% camo training is extremely useful for getting yourself into the right situations.
  • Relocate, relocate, relocate. If you're reloading, just take that time to go somewhere else. It doesn't have to be too far (although that is often a good idea), but make sure the enemy never sees you in the same place twice. Ever. Being unpredictable is probably the greatest strength of all French tanks, and it is probably the least utilized. Be transient.
  • Be near your team's heavies, but not too close. Don't share their hiding spot - it is often best practice to be at least 100 meters away from them. This doesn't necessarily mean behind them, though; the best advice I can give is to be creative about hiding spots. Remember, your heavies will take the enemies' aggro, so don't be right next to them.
  • Don't feel like you need to fire all 6 shots at a target of opportunity. Trust your instinct: if you feel like someone is aiming at you or that you've been out of cover for too long, get back. Even if the enemy is tracked in the open and you can pump 3 more shells into him, it's just not worth it. Arty can end you with 1 shot.
  • If your team has a wolfpack of mediums, feel free to run with them. They are an excellent distraction, and they will create many opportunities for you to deal massive damage to overwhelmed heavy tanks.
By the way, in case you're wondering, the 50 120 is amazing, and so is the 50B. They're not for everyone, but they are real killers once you get a hang of it. They are probably my favorite tanks, and that's saying a lot (sorry, Chaffee!).

Edited by anubis132, Dec 26 2012 - 07:13.

Whee #8 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 07:11

Major

• Players
  • 21499 battles
  • [USVCH] USVCH
I have a Lorraine 40t which I assume plays similarly to the AMX 50 100 as well, but what I usually do during set up is help slow tanks that I can help go faster. It's definitely a great help for tanks that need to reach crucial locations like the Himmelsdorf hill. This sort of play style helps me stay away from front lines. Besides, what is there to do if you reach a destination first without help?

A_Defenseless_Kitten #9 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 07:14

Major

• Players
  • 23427 battles
  • [RMADA] RMADA

View PostWhee, on Dec 26 2012 - 07:11, said:

I have a Lorraine 40t which I assume plays similarly to the AMX 50 100 as well, but what I usually do during set up is help slow tanks that I can help go faster. It's definitely a great help for tanks that need to reach crucial locations like the Himmelsdorf hill. This sort of play style helps me stay away from front lines. Besides, what is there to do if you reach a destination first without help?
you think it would be but the amx can take it's first punch without loosing an eye and then takes it's sword out and slashes it's enemy till the enemy reloads

anubis132 #10 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 07:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15580 battles

View PostWhee, on Dec 26 2012 - 07:11, said:

Be careful about this, though. One of the greatest game-winners in WoT is positioning. AMX's are fast enough to claim territory like medium tanks, and are powerful enough to chase enemy mediums away in contested areas. Don't be suicidal, but don't be afraid to take the hill (except in Mines) or other vantage point.

Hurk #11 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 07:26

Major

• Players
  • 23687 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostIceCorp, on Dec 26 2012 - 06:51, said:

It can basically fulfill almost any role.

This is how I play it:

I could provide extensive tips, but since you posted the following, I can not help you.
Didnt they say the no tree leaves thing was a hack?

BeLiAL124 #12 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 07:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18096 battles
  • [PFFFT] PFFFT
Some sample replays on How I play it, it is my best tank to date.
I don't snipe from very far if I can help it..basically i trade my hitpoints for damage while trying not to get hit.

http://mwreplays.com...y/FSTTX5WLJ3YK/

2256 xp

http://mwreplays.com/newreplaysimg/f42c4d35620b8cc70234884e9472d74c.png

2265 xp

SilverSil #13 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 12:57

Captain

• Players
  • 8129 battles
  • [BURDY] BURDY
the AMX 50/100 is nothing short of a good tank fully equipped and 100%.

Can be pressed to do so many jobs,  support, offense, fortify, distraction, flank, etc.

Also, people are selling the 90mm DCA 45 short as well.  it can still tear straight though tier 10 frontal armor if using sprem, because sprem rounds get up to 350mm pen on that gun. obviously the top gun is better, but the DCA45 is still workable & useful in tier 8 tanks, the lorraine40T proved that before it got nerfed and moved to tier 9.

How_Terrible #14 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 13:02

Major

• Players
  • 15483 battles
  • [REL_3] REL_3

View Postanubis132, on Dec 26 2012 - 07:06, said:

With the DCA 45, you are forced to shoot at tier 8+ heavy tanks from the side or rear only. Once you get the 100mm SA 47, you will be able to damage any equal tier tank frontally, except perhaps the T28. With that ability, the 50 100 makes an excellent support tank. Hover around your team's heavy tanks, and punish enemies that expose themselves. The French heavies have their own playstyle, and I didn't master it until I was in the 50 120; I also had trouble with the 50 100. Here are a few tips:
  • Firstly and most importantly, do not get spotted before the enemy tanks are engaged. If you do, it may be a good idea to relocate. An enemy heavy that is unaware of your presence will focus on your team's heavies, and will eventually expose himself to take a shot. If he knows you are there, he will play defensively. When he finally pops out or decides to move up, shoot his front drive sprocket - this will damage him and track him so you can follow up with your autoloader. Sixth Sense and 100% camo training is extremely useful for getting yourself into the right situations.
  • Relocate, relocate, relocate. If you're reloading, just take that time to go somewhere else. It doesn't have to be too far (although that is often a good idea), but make sure the enemy never sees you in the same place twice. Ever. Being unpredictable is probably the greatest strength of all French tanks, and it is probably the least utilized. Be transient.
  • Be near your team's heavies, but not too close. Don't share their hiding spot - it is often best practice to be at least 100 meters away from them. This doesn't necessarily mean behind them, though; the best advice I can give is to be creative about hiding spots. Remember, your heavies will take the enemies' aggro, so don't be right next to them.
  • Don't feel like you need to fire all 6 shots at a target of opportunity. Trust your instinct: if you feel like someone is aiming at you or that you've been out of cover for too long, get back. Even if the enemy is tracked in the open and you can pump 3 more shells into him, it's just not worth it. Arty can end you with 1 shot.
  • If your team has a wolfpack of mediums, feel free to run with them. They are an excellent distraction, and they will create many opportunities for you to deal massive damage to overwhelmed heavy tanks.
By the way, in case you're wondering, the 50 120 is amazing, and so is the 50B. They're not for everyone, but they are real killers once you get a hang of it. They are probably my favorite tanks, and that's saying a lot (sorry, Chaffee!).

This is probably the best "quick & dirty" french heavy guide I have seen.

Only 70,000 XP from the 50B. To bad I am broke thanks to the holiday specials :(

Ventex #15 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 15:04

Captain

• Players
  • 18868 battles
How does gaining 20/4 pen on the AP/APCR suddenly make the SA 47 some upper glacis master key?  Unless you're talking about the ~360 damage the DCA 45 is leaving on the table of course, since 1440 average is cutting it very close on tier 8 heavies.  The DCA 45 made me get as close as I could if possible because nothing sucks more than missing your first two shots due to the RNG sending a shot up into a T34's turret.

With the DCA 45, If you pen every shot you still might not kill a 100% Type 59, and if you bounce one you're probably not going to.  Targeting things you can kill with 3-4 shots is the key to maximizing your staying power.  100% targets are almost guaranteed to have a repair kit, and not everyone is.. special, enough to sit there letting you empty your entire drum into their drive sprocket from 20 meters.  Suddenly bouncing on an upper glacis that you were positive was going to be soft underbelly is the fastest way to end your match.

Valuing your health over emptying your drum is a key lesson, the 50 100's damage potential is reduced dramatically as it's hit.  Once you're under 500 health you're suddenly in a situation where you aren't even a burst threat because you're one-shotable, and traditional methods like side scraping are useless as shooting you in your turret will kill your pertinent crew and their families.  There are times where you're going to have to trade health for a kill, or to escape, and those will be limited to 1-2 times per match.

aka2k #16 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 15:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22444 battles
Nonsense about the cannon. It can penetrate frontally a Type 59. It's a great gun, you just need to learn how to use it. I remember keeping this gun most of the time while grinding the AMX 50 120, because it was far cheaper. And if you dont learn how to use this gun, be aware that the 100mm gun isn't an autopen gun. It'll give you the same headaches that the 90mm is giving you right now, they play very similarly even with the increased penetration.

Tanks_A_Bunch #17 Posted Dec 26 2012 - 15:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18228 battles
  • [FUZ] FUZ
All good advice thank you.
I have copeid and pasted it all into word for later refrence in case the forums get stupid and lose this post.

I have had (1) good match so far with this tank, i tried to check the replay but none of them will play since the update.

I think it was airfield , to make it short i just raced around the hills pot shotting every side or rear i could find.

I think i got 2 kills with about same damage or a little better than my own hp value.
Not great for this tank but i lived through it and we won so i guess it was a step up from other battles.

Tanks_A_Bunch #18 Posted Dec 27 2012 - 05:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18228 battles
  • [FUZ] FUZ
Just for the reccord i have 18 battles in this tank 17 of them went bad for me, 9 wins but not from my help.

This is the first higher tier tank that cannot sway the battle one way or the other without the 100mm gun.

I don't know if it is the gun, rng, me or wg hates me but when you bounce 3 well aimed shots off the front of a tracked t-50 at 100meters  something isn't right.

It seems when im fully aimed the shots go wild but if i take snap shots while moving i do damage.

The average 200 damage per shot is laughable and any tanker who knows it will just run over you.

I never have liked the french paper tanks and this is just reminding me why.

I will slowly grind this through to tier 10 but i doubt i will go back to play any of them.

Edited by Tanks_A_Bunch, Dec 27 2012 - 05:08.

CryoVolt #19 Posted Dec 27 2012 - 06:11

Major

• Players
  • 26410 battles
This is the best real tier 8 tank full stop (kv5 and type have preferred matchmaking). There is nothing wrong with the 90mm either, I used that gun on Lorraine tier 8 exclusively. IS3 is the only other contender, but that takes even more skill.

You HAVE to get damage in early in the match, because you can't tank anything you need to do some damage or take a gun out early. Otherwise you get rolled and start blaming your team - well you are often top tier tank so you have contribute early so things don't snowball on you.

Also your HP is all you have, so conserve it with your life.

Tanks_A_Bunch #20 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 05:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18228 battles
  • [FUZ] FUZ
Ok an update.

I got the 100mm a few matches ago and it makes all the difference in the tank.

I still lack tracks but still i can deal loads of damage and pen almost everything.

Tha only drawback to this tank is the full reload time and the you better not fire a shot without fully aimed with smalest circle or it will bounce 4 of 5 shots, forgot about the paper armor.

I think i bounced an is3 shot but he rounded the corner and pot shot at me so i emptyed my clip into him and he was no more, he did get one shot in for a 3rd of my hp tho.