What exactly is "damage upon detecting"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

External007 #1 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 07:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hey tankers, hopefully I posted this in the correct section, just a question regarding the damage upon detecting.

I just recently returned in the past couple of days to WoT, and am reletively new to all the things they have added.  One thing I tend to pay a decent amount of attention to after the game is the detailed report.  I find it that in many games, I may have done better in every section aside from the "damage upon detecting" and yet yield less experience than another player  :Smile_amazed: .  So I am here to question what exactly the "damage upon detecting" thing is.  If someone could better explain this to me and how to get higher "damage upon detecting" that would be great, thanks all.  Happy tanking  :Smile_Default:

M477145_N1l550n #2 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 07:49

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Damage that allied tanks do to enemies that you have spotted for them.

It is perhaps the single most important statistic for determining the ability of a light tank driver.

raywood #3 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 07:49

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Damage done by teammates to tanks that you are currently spotting

Solinvictus #4 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 07:50

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
It's when someone shoot at a tank that you can see but they can't see by themselves, it's a scout ability.

PuddleSplasher #5 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 08:04

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostM477145_N1l550n, on Dec 28 2012 - 07:49, said:

It is perhaps the single most important statistic for determining the ability of a light tank driver.

This only your opinion and I disagree.

Light tanks can be used as more than just a scout.

What this statistic merely proves is that the player was a good scout that was possibly in cover most of the time and that his team were able to shoot the enemy.

Other than that it still does not mean that the player has good light tank abilities.

M477145_N1l550n #6 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 08:08

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostPuddleSplasher, on Dec 28 2012 - 08:04, said:

What this statistic merely proves is that the player was a good scout that was possibly in cover most of the time and that his team were able to shoot the enemy.

Other than that it still does not mean that the player has good light tank abilities.
If you want to judge a scout tanker's skill, spotting damage is very valuable.

I'd rather have a scout with tons of spotting damage but relatively few actual spots, over one that has tons of spots but very little spotting damage.

The former, I know I'll be able to get a good shot on the targets he lights up. The latter is most likely a suicide scout kamikaze who will be dead in thirty seconds.

zzZsleeperZzz #7 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 08:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have received over 1200 points from damage upon detecting in my Tiger. Several in the 700-900 range. A good map to get it on in those numbers is HIMMELSDORF! , especially if you went up the hill in the lead, and it lights up like a Christmas tree.

:Smile_trollface-3:  :Smile_trollface-3:

PuddleSplasher #8 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 08:19

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hey we both agree on what you have just said ^^^.

BUT!!! Scouting ability is NOT the only skill that a light tank requires to have as was suggested by the OP. Keep in mind that it is still a tank that can damage other tanks though to what extent will be determined by what tier of tank they are against. Actual damage that the light tank gives out is still a measure of skill especially if that same tank is giving repeatedly high damage.

The problem we have and players need educated about it is that a light tank is still a tank and not necessarily required to scout all the time. Sadly we have all seen it in-game where a player shouts an bawls at a light tank for not "scouting" as the whiner thinks all light tanks are ONLY scouts.

Harkonen_siegetank #9 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 08:26

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostPuddleSplasher, on Dec 28 2012 - 08:19, said:

Hey we both agree on what you have just said ^^^.

BUT!!! Scouting ability is NOT the only skill that a light tank requires to have as was suggested by the OP. Keep in mind that it is still a tank that can damage other tanks though to what extent will be determined by what tier of tank they are against. Actual damage that the light tank gives out is still a measure of skill especially if that same tank is giving repeatedly high damage.

The problem we have and players need educated about it is that a light tank is still a tank and not necessarily required to scout all the time. Sadly we have all seen it in-game where a player shouts an bawls at a light tank for not "scouting" as the whiner thinks all light tanks are ONLY scouts.
While this is partially true, a light tank has the ability to move ahead of the pack a light up targets (some mediums included), not to mention they have better soft stat in that area (like camo value).

There are times when I cant see the enemy, but received hits. The main culprit usually light tanks staying ahead and hidden.

Solinvictus #10 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 08:26

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostPuddleSplasher, on Dec 28 2012 - 08:04, said:

Light tanks are scout, deal with it

External007 #11 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 08:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Definantly provided me with the knowledge I wanted to inquire.  Tanks a ton guys! (horrible pun intended)

Also, on the discussion over light tanks, they are seen as "scouts" due to their inability to do anything else.  It is not very common to find a tank alone when you are in a light that you have the ability to attack it and do some good damage.  The light tanks are almost always matched up with tanks they cannot pen, even from the back.  This eliminates the brawling section of a tanks ability from that.  They have quick speeds and a small profile which leads them to be greatt scouts.  They have developed to be purely scouts because they do not have the ability to do anything else in games with the tanks they are matched against.

Vooshka #12 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 09:24

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Actually, a really good light tank has 1 more (albeit hard to quantify) skill; the ability to break through enemy lines at the right moment to cause enemy tanks and arty to shift their attention away from the forward-edge-of-battle, thereby allowing the light's allies to make better hits/attacks. I've seen battles shift dramatically due to this.

Timbo911 #13 Posted Dec 28 2012 - 11:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Possibly the most important facet of WoT game mechanics, especially in top tiers. It essentially quantifies the productivity of scouts or spotters, although is partially dependent on teammates' contributions. 5000+ is good, 10000+ is rare.

We are actually quite fortunate the interface provides this information, even if third party rating systems cannot directly incorporate this.