how to make a wot skin for versions 8+

skins tutorial help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

vapor33 #1 Posted Jan 02 2013 - 20:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Can someone please explain how to create a wot version 8+ skin?

I use photoshop and have a dds plugin too. I found another thread on creating skins but it was old and outdated.

Thanks

PuddleSplasher #2 Posted Jan 02 2013 - 20:05

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Chat with NoblePlatoon for advice. That person is the Grand Master skinner of WOT IMHO  :Smile_great:

Final_Spark #3 Posted Jan 02 2013 - 20:27

Captain

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Outdated? Not really. We still use the same process for making the skin. The only real things that have changed are some of the dds files themselves in remodels or new UV maps and the res_mods and pkg file system starting from around 7.1 or 7.2 through to the present.

You can find all of the default dds files in the pkg files, and overwrite the defaults without destroying them by saving in the res_mods folder.

Billybob3001 #4 Posted Jan 06 2013 - 18:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Basically in the most simplest way, what you do is...

1. Take the original skin from the packages folder and load it up in PS.
2. Use the various selection tools and select all the parts that must not be skinned (i.e shovels, wrenches, fire extinguishers, lights).
3. Do a layer via copy on those and always have that layer on top of all the other layers, this will be your mask.
4. Either find a camo pattern on google images, or paint one your self using the brush tool, load it into PS and put it on its own layer.
5. Put that layer on top of the original skin, but under the mask, this way all your shovels and lights will not get colored.
6. Save the file using "5.6.5 RGB  16 bpp | unsigned" and replace the original skin (or save it with the same name)
7. Install it and....ya

XOIIO #5 Posted Jan 08 2013 - 07:18

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostBillybob3001, on Jan 06 2013 - 18:34, said:

Basically in the most simplest way, what you do is...

1. Take the original skin from the packages folder and load it up in PS.
2. Use the various selection tools and select all the parts that must not be skinned (i.e shovels, wrenches, fire extinguishers, lights).
3. Do a layer via copy on those and always have that layer on top of all the other layers, this will be your mask.
4. Either find a camo pattern on google images, or paint one your self using the brush tool, load it into PS and put it on its own layer.
5. Put that layer on top of the original skin, but under the mask, this way all your shovels and lights will not get colored.
6. Save the file using "5.6.5 RGB  16 bpp | unsigned" and replace the original skin (or save it with the same name)
7. Install it and....ya

I've never had a problem with saving the file as any version/modification or whatever of DDS, even saving it with transparency works fine.

TLJ62 #6 Posted Jan 08 2013 - 07:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Dont forget to save with mip maps. Helps graphics performance.