Alternate save location for battle recordings possible?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Taoism #1 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 14:24

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 11354 battles
Like the title says. I would like to save the replays in a location on another drive instead of the replay folder in the WoT directory. I don't particularly feel the need to shorten the life span of an SSD by constantly writing files to it and then erasing the ones i don't want (probably 99% of them) on a regular basis.
I attempted to use a symlink to accomplish this but it did not work as anticipated. Basically just duplicated the folder in a second location.
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

_Alan_ #2 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 14:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28909 battles
Just rename the ones you wana keep

Taoism #3 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 14:36

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 11354 battles

View Post_Alan_, on Jan 03 2013 - 14:26, said:

Just rename the ones you wana keep

Apparently reading comprehension is not strong in this one. I don't care one little bit about the names of the files. What I care about is not having them written to the  solid state drive that the game itself lives on.
SSDs have a finite number of read/write cycles before the flash memory they contain ceases functioning. SSDs also cannot (in most cases) write files smaller than a certain size, which is variable from drive to drive depending on the controller used and the specs the manufacturer calls for. Therefore having a buttload of files smaller than block size constantly being written and erased (each using an entire block) wll have a significant effect on a solid state drive's life span.

The goal is to have the files saved somewhere else (another drive) in the first place.

dc300m01 #4 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 14:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16735 battles
Good question. I myself have tried this with no success. I have a 500gb HD just for media and I hate that the replays are saving on my SSD.

Millbarge #5 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 15:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 34718 battles
As far as i know there is no way to do this...

But i agree that they should add the ability to choose where you save things

Taoism #6 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 15:11

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 11354 battles
The settings XML file for the game has two lines in it that begin with <replayprefs>.

One line has an entry under it that states: <enabled> true </enabled>

The second line has no entry under it. Why would you add a line of code with no function? This leads me to believe some other options either exist or were planned and have not been implemented.

Lophat #7 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 15:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 61392 battles
can't you just move the folder to your hard drive and create a shortcut with the same name on the SSD that points to the hard drive folder?

GT500 #8 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 15:59

Major

• Players
  • 12750 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
OP,

The single write of the reply file will have next to no impact on your SSD drive...  Those cells can be written to 1000's of times and if it writes to it once and you do not delete the file there is no fear of wear.

The SSD will last longer then you need it, you will likely upgrade the drive before it wears out.

Keep in mind (i do not know your setup) that if this SSD is your primary HD and your OS is on it... your OS Paging file will be wearing out your SSD 1000's of times faster then a single replay.

GT500 #9 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 16:03

Major

• Players
  • 12750 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
Op,

In case you are still overly paranoid and you have Vista or higher, you can create a symbolic link similar to Unix, this should work for you as the game will think it is writing to you SSD, but you will have the files being created elsewhere instead  :)

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

Errants #10 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 16:04

Captain

• Players
  • 22948 battles
  • [FOXEY] FOXEY
Create a shortcut to a folder on your media drive where you want the replays to be stored, with the shortcut being the default folder for saving replays. I found a guide on the forums for this in the past, and have done so, since I'm running a 256GB SSD for OS and most games, and currently a 1TB data drive.

ivanmurphy #11 Posted Jan 03 2013 - 16:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29077 battles
So i bought a car and don't want to drive it because i am afraid the tires will wear out when they come into contact with the concrete.

Fails me that people don't want to use a product to its design.

Taoism #12 Posted Jan 05 2013 - 03:03

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 11354 battles

View PostGT500, on Jan 03 2013 - 15:59, said:

OP,

The single write of the reply file will have next to no impact on your SSD drive...  Those cells can be written to 1000's of times and if it writes to it once and you do not delete the file there is no fear of wear.

The SSD will last longer then you need it, you will likely upgrade the drive before it wears out.

Keep in mind (i do not know your setup) that if this SSD is your primary HD and your OS is on it... your OS Paging file will be wearing out your SSD 1000's of times faster then a single replay.

The drive in question is actually 2 drives in a raid 0, contaning the OS and the games I actually care about in regards to loading speed. I also have no paging file allocated. With 16 gigs of ram it isn't really needed.

View PostGT500, on Jan 03 2013 - 16:03, said:

Op,

In case you are still overly paranoid and you have Vista or higher, you can create a symbolic link similar to Unix, this should work for you as the game will think it is writing to you SSD, but you will have the files being created elsewhere instead  :)

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

As stated in earlier posts I gave symbolic links a try and it did not function the way I wanted, just for all intents and purposes made a duplicate of the original file.

View PostIs_Errant, on Jan 03 2013 - 16:04, said:

Create a shortcut to a folder on your media drive where you want the replays to be stored, with the shortcut being the default folder for saving replays. I found a guide on the forums for this in the past, and have done so, since I'm running a 256GB SSD for OS and most games, and currently a 1TB data drive.

Sounds like a symlink, which sadly doesn't achieve the desired result.

View Postivanmurphy, on Jan 03 2013 - 16:42, said:

So i bought a car and don't want to drive it because i am afraid the tires will wear out when they come into contact with the concrete.

Fails me that people don't want to use a product to its design.

As per usual there has to be one putz who probably didn't read the thread and has no clue, yet feels the need to try and be cool and edgy by making a totally pointless and nonconstructive reply

ivanmurphy #13 Posted Jan 06 2013 - 21:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29077 battles

View PostTaoism, on Jan 05 2013 - 03:03, said:

As per usual there has to be one putz who probably didn't read the thread and has no clue, yet feels the need to try and be cool and edgy by making a totally pointless and nonconstructive reply

Fails me that you're so stupid that you're the only moron who has posted such a stupid problem.  I'm not trying to be cool and edgy but yet trying to emphasize that you have a piece of equipment that you obviously have no clue what it's capabilites are - you're like a grandma who puts plastic over the furniture to save it - guess what your ssd is already out of date - it was the minute it left the factory.