Tank Intel: VI, VII and VIII SPGs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

Content_WG #1 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 12:00

Wargaming America

• Administrator
  • 0 battles
The today's episode of the tank intel series will cover upon high tier SPGs, specifically tier VI, VII and VIII.

Full news text

DiscordedTwilightSparkle #2 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 12:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Bat Shat, oh english subtitles you so funny

zaho87 #3 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 13:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I hope these videos change the way arty haters think and instead of whining, accept them as a part of the game and consider them invaluable to any strategy. Arty is your best friend, it watches your back all the time and helps you survive the battle (unless you are on the wrong team). Having a tier X getting killed by arty happens, but arty helping your tier X vs a **** load of tier Xs is something much more important.  :Smile_great:

danredda1616 #4 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 13:20

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
So now that the Bat 155 is advertised as being able to mount vents, will you put that ability back in 8.3 test 2?

Mrfox13686 #5 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 13:28

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I love playing with SPGs, but the problem with me is that the heavy SPGs have high repair cost so this problem is preventing me and my friends from buying tier 6&7 SPGs, playing this game should be fun so if anyone read this from WOT plz plz decrease the repair cost because it is frustrating  :Smile_sad:  :Smile_sad:

Hirumaru #6 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 13:39

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postzaho87, on Jan 04 2013 - 13:05, said:

I hope these videos change the way arty haters think and instead of whining, accept them as a part of the game and consider them invaluable to any strategy.

In Clan Wars your argument is well founded. In uncoordinated pub matches lacking anything remotely resembling "strategy" they are a game-breaking mess at worst, a frustrating mechanic at best.

Many "arty whiners" happen to have Tier 8 artillery pieces AS WELL as Tier 10 Heavies. One would think that this would entitle them to a respected opinion regarding the mechanics and gameplay of SPG.

Zombi3kill3r #7 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 13:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostMrfox13686, on Jan 04 2013 - 13:28, said:

I love playing with SPGs, but the problem with me is that the heavy SPGs have high repair cost so this problem is preventing me and my friends from buying tier 6&7 SPGs, playing this game should be fun so if anyone read this from WOT plz plz decrease the repair cost because it is frustrating  :Smile_sad:  :Smile_sad:

no they will never lower arty repair because that would make the current problem worse if anything it will go up

EchelonIII #8 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 13:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Skill and artillery in the same sentence?

Let's see what WG thinks about arty

Also, lol GWE used most often in global map

cRommels #9 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 14:01

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

Yea well my fun was over too playing Tier10 tanks and while getting spotted, bombed down by 6-7arties in each and every game.

But since the cap fix put an end to arty parties (thanks WG) i can finally play in peace with my T10 tanks . So yea you arty players should get the normal repair bill back. In the end everyone will be happy.

ishootyouface #10 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 14:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

try to alternate matches with your high teir arty and tier 5 or 6 tank. if you hvae a premium tank, you can use it instead;premium tanks earn alot of credits

TIGER_I #11 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 14:19

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
arty got fewked with this major nerf... i didnt mind most of the stuff but HP was just a lil too much nerf. leave the HP alone.... limiting the number of artys on each team should deal with that.

zaho87 #12 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 14:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostTIGER_I, on Jan 04 2013 - 14:19, said:

arty got fewked with this major nerf... i didnt mind most of the stuff but HP was just a lil too much nerf. leave the HP alone.... limiting the number of artys on each team should deal with that.

I totally agree, no single arty can withstand the firepower of tier V scout as it is with so much low HP. Not to mention that this will soon come under more reductions. My S-51 gets one-shotted by tier VII and VIII tanks, I am fine with it, but getting killed rapidly from loose scouts is even worse! Arty cap works fine, never seen more than 5 artys per match, plus that low tier arties get the chance to counter, while the big ones serve the big blows.

View PostHirumaru, on Jan 04 2013 - 13:39, said:

In Clan Wars your argument is well founded. In uncoordinated pub matches lacking anything remotely resembling "strategy" they are a game-breaking mess at worst, a frustrating mechanic at best.

Many "arty whiners" happen to have Tier 8 artillery pieces AS WELL as Tier 10 Heavies. One would think that this would entitle them to a respected opinion regarding the mechanics and gameplay of SPG.

Well, if they have them, then they would know that driving a big tank requires more positioning and less standing still. Most arty whiners instead of dodging shells, just sit, die and whine. I have an ISU-152 and when I get spotted all hell breaks lose. Last night I was dodging arty fire from 5 batteries and knew where to go, how to hide and survive. If I can pull it off with a clumsy, fragile and easy to hit tier VIII TD, so can they with better protected, more agile and harder to kill tier X or Tier IX tanks.

Edited by zaho87, Jan 04 2013 - 14:38.

Zevined #13 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 15:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

I hope these videos change the way arty haters think and instead of whining, accept them as a part of the game and consider them invaluable to any strategy. Arty is your best friend, it watches your back all the time and helps you survive the battle (unless you are on the wrong team). Having a tier X getting killed by arty happens, but arty helping your tier X vs a **** load of tier Xs is something much more important.  :Smile_great:

I suppose they could be invaluable, except, of course, when they haven't got a clue about whats going on. For those of you who don't know (most of you) the tier VIII VK4502 A is phenomenal against medium tanks (even some tier X ones), but is easily killed by other heavies, even lower tier ones. I was driving this and doing quite well against a tier X medium tank and while I was fighting it, two heavy tanks I had evaded earlier returned to shoot me.

My ally artillery shot at the medium tank I was sitting RIGHT NEXT TO, which damaged me and made it easier for the heavies to pick me off. My experience in every tank I've driven is that the more artillery "support" my team is, the more vulnerable the team becomes to flanking and focus fire, and the more thinly stretched your team becomes in order to defend all of your flanks.

I can see how artillery could be useful in extremely coordinated events, such as clan wars and tournaments, but since you don't get to fine tune your tank makeup in pub matches, and since 99% of the people who play the game only participate in pub matches, I honestly think arty truly has no business being in the game.

There is also the bit about artillery being used primarily for infantry support and not tank support (as much), since tanks had their own big gun to shoot back with, and most foot soldiers did not. Artillery was also used for providing long range fire against pillboxes and other heavily fortified locations, and were not used exclusively as anti-tank weapons since that's what we had tank destroyers and other weapons for. They were, essentially, never employed for use in armored warfare, since that's what we had armor for, and were instead used as a significantly more more mobile and easily deployed artillery position than the traditional stationary variety we had used up to this point (not to mention larger, since they could move themselves, the canons could be made much larger), since that's what they had been designed for anyway.

I have, of course, driven several artillery, but I could not bring myself to go any higher than tier IV because the repetitive point and click game play was rather quite dull and boring, and after a while I just couldn't take it anymore. If you don't believe me, go ahead and look, I even have ace mastery on one of them. I bring this up mostly to keep arty fanboi's from hating on me for not having tried them, because I have, and done quite well too. I did, however, not do that well because of my uber skillz, but rather as a result of the vehicle being far too, and rather excessively, easy to play. This ease not only contributed to my boredom, but also gave me a false sense of how good I was at actually playing the game, since nothing is easier than playing a point a click game against enemies who are playing a significantly more difficult game of maneuvering, oh, and not being able to ever shoot back at you also helped. The last reason I do not like artillery is because I am a firm believer in having and developing uber skillz, that is, once you learn the how to's of playing artillery, you can't get better, because that's all there is, and because that's all there is, you can't really brag about doing anything extremely difficult in an artillery, because there isn't anything hard for artillery TO do.

Getting steel wall, however, for example, is difficult enough to get in a heavy tank, getting one in a light tank, then, is something worth bragging about (it's on my leopard). You cannot get steel wall in an arty because everything can kill you in 3 shots or less (you have to survive at least 11), so don't even start theorizing about it, and all of the achievements that artillery CAN get, aren't worth bragging about, because of how easy it is for arty to get them, that is, they aren't achievements for artillery to earn, so much as something they can reliably count on getting after every other battle.

madgiecool #14 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 15:32

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Like top gun?  GL to arty getting that.  Or how about sniper?

Anyhow going back to the video, I know back in the past when tracers were more visable, some players reccomended using the spall liner to help against CB.  I see that wasn't listed in the video.  I'm thinking if I'm using binos (as reccomended) to spot targets its game over.

Hirumaru #15 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 16:01

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postzaho87, on Jan 04 2013 - 14:38, said:

Well, if they have them, then they would know that driving a big tank requires more positioning and less standing still. Most arty whiners instead of dodging shells, just sit, die and whine. I have an ISU-152 and when I get spotted all hell breaks lose. Last night I was dodging arty fire from 5 batteries and knew where to go, how to hide and survive. If I can pull it off with a clumsy, fragile and easy to hit tier VIII TD, so can they with better protected, more agile and harder to kill tier X or Tier IX tanks.

The problem with artillery in its current form is that even splash damage meters away from your tank—which is well behind cover—can still take off 800 HP, kill your Loader, Gunner, Driver, and Commander, and take out both tracks. I've played artillery, I've played Tier 10 Heavy and Medium. It isn't about "sitting out in the open like a moron". It is about that one brief moment where a patient or lucky arty can blast your tank to hell with a penetrating 2000 damage before you had time to react and get away. Playing smart doesn't mean you never get hit, it means you get hit less. Even if you are hit less it still hurts and it is still a frustrating mechanic. All that it inspires is more camping on the European and North American server (although it probably inspires MORE rushing on the Russian server, strangely enough).

"Most arty whiners"? Yeah, "most arty apologetics" think they should have perfect accuracy to better contribute to the battle, while a single arty in Clan Wars alone can easily rack up 5000 damage a match. Can we have more unsubstantive ad populum logical fallacies?

That I was skilled enough to take out people exploiting the M26 Dart glitch in Battlefield 3 does not mean that it was not unfair or gamebreaking. Anecdote is not an argument and is simply yet another logical fallacy.

Edited by Hirumaru, Jan 04 2013 - 16:02.

del1001295635 #16 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 16:29

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I knew about hull locking, but moving only the hull and not the gun is pretty clever.  I'm surprised I haven't heard of this before.

Edited by Silty, Jan 04 2013 - 16:33.

anarchyxf36 #17 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 16:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Meh it really does not matter since in 8.3 the debilitating blanket arty nerf will render all artys moot and useless, So the SPGs of this tier featured in this video will be 10X more useless come next patch since there nerfing accuracy, gun dispersion, more then likely accuracy, splash damage (Yea that one is affecting the derp guns too), and the biggest key nerfs are movement and the big HP hit.

So with that being said expect to be getting counter-batteried in tier 6+ arty after the first shot, and learn to enjoy getting **** by low tier scouts and fast movers easily.

Also you have to remember that WG did this video running the 8.2 patch, not the newest 8.3 patch where instead of actually just doing away with arty and compensating players for a now wasted grind fest they are just blanket nerfing everything to shit leaving them in the game for the players to foot the bill for such a now useless line, so for that i have to say great job on a soon to be obsolete video that explains nothing of what to come WG...  :Smile_sceptic:

Inappropriate content. Warning issued.
~Sir_Explosion

Seguita #18 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 17:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Arty will be very nerfed, now this video; sarcastic.

Jodo42 #19 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 17:05

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Methinks WG wants a bunch of people to spend lots of gold to get some arty before they get that "debilitating" nerf in 8.3.

Quintez #20 Posted Jan 04 2013 - 17:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

Nope, You need to go play world of artillery. I will only respect artillery in this game when it takes "some kind" of skill to play them.

Arti is for lazy people with no skill.... I know cause that's how I feel when I play arti, I think; "Wow this takes no skill"