Su-101 review

SU-101 Smith Not_as_bad_as_everyone_says

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

Agent_Smithx2 #1 Posted Jan 06 2013 - 01:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24488 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
After being issued a challenge by a fellow clan mate as to whether I can succeed in the SU-101 and get over 60% w/r (since he believes its a crappy tank), I ended up buying the SU-101 to prove him wrong. After succeeding at getting 68-70% @ 90 battles, I felt that this underrated TD needed a review or a guide that others can learn (so people would seriously stop rushing or playing it like an ISU)
Posted Image
Stats for the SU-101

Posted Image

That was my SU-101 setup for the 90 battles i played with it. Yes i started with 12 gold shells to compensate for having almost no Gun Depression, but eventually reduced it to 8, since I found that I didnt use them that much (only for KT's from the front, German T9's and T10's)

so, time for a pro's and con's list

PRO'S

-Fast (and I mean T-44 fast, it can easily hit up to 54km/h with the top engine, allowing for rapid response and relocation)
-Excellent Traverse (every single medium will have problems flanking you if turn)
-Excellent Camo (Yes, Camo that is better than the 704's and since the gun isnt a large boomstick, you can let off several shots from ~50-100m without being spotted)
-Good DPM for its tier (@ 2700 with just 100% crew)
-Fairly Decent Gun (Its basically the T-54's gun at t8 with better soft stats)
-Its front is decently armored (I had tanks below 200 pen bouncing off my front quite often)

CON'S

-Low Hitpoint Pool (and I mean retardedly low, only 990hp, Less than every other T8 tank and TD, excluding arty)
-Non-existent gun depression (Drivers need to pay attention to every single bump, cliff, rock, etc, since -2 Gun Dep. means every bump will be a nuisance. Although you can use shell crates to hull down in or create artificial gun depression by backing up on a cliff or something and elevating your gun)
-Lowest Pen and Dmg per shot of every t8 TD (Aim for weakspots all the time, and carry several gold shells for tanks that need to DIE right there and right now)
-Accuracy at longer ranges was finky (found that shells either fall really really short or fly over the targets head at longer ranges, so accuracy can vary)

now on to Gameplay

As fast as this TD is, DO NOT PLAY IT LIKE AN ASSAULT GUN!
seriously, leave that to the ISU, or to the end of the game, when you need to kill a medium or something
Now, best thing to to from the beginning is to get into a good bush or a camp spot where you can camo up and pop shots off at lights or mediums harassing some of your front line tanks.
If you notice a light breaking through the other side, change positions to stop him from spotting arty (This does not mean charge right after him into the open and die)
a good example of what I do is shown here in this replay
http://mwreplays.com/newreplaysimg/ca2bba7fbe161565aa106203babff113.png
another good example is found here
http://mwreplays.com...y/6NMP9Y4SE1JL/ (old link, so no stat thing like above)
Note how I operate as a second line tank, and pick on tanks that were busy with others, and then utilized my speed to finish off the rest
Now to solve the Gun Depression Issue, use the hills to the best of your ability to negate your Gun Dep, by sitting on the backward slopes on the hill, so you can utilize gun ELEVATION instead of gun DEPRESSION
http://mwreplays.com/newreplaysimg/77c8ac23825011dafb6ba4ae3a2ea80d.png
now see in this replay how I use hills to the best of my advantage, and that I only sit on hills that dont require me to have good gun depression (ie the Top hill where I can snipe almost everywhere in the map, instead of the bottom hill, where i need to expose myself to even get a shot on the enemy hill
Thats basically It, I think ive listed all the things needed to properly utilize this TD, If any questions appear, Ill do my best to answer
P.S. - Either use the tank's camo or speed to avoid getting hit by arty, since t6+ arty can easily one shot you

Vladimir__Poutine #2 Posted Jan 06 2013 - 01:28

Major

• Players
  • 10772 battles
  • [UCS] UCS
:Smile_popcorn1:

phiz #3 Posted Jan 06 2013 - 03:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 14240 battles
  • [REL-V] REL-V
Just wondering why you run a toolkit instead of binocs?  I know you have to turn a lot and that negates them to a degree, but I found when operating alone (out of necessity mind you), seeing my opponent first was the only way to live.  With such low hitpoints, it didn't seem like repairing was ever feasible.  You get shot, you die... It's a tough td to play I think, but not terrible.  It's really adapting to the tank instead of making it fit your preferred playstyle.  From what you wrote and my own experience, I don't think there's more than one way to play this tank.

Agent_Smithx2 #4 Posted Jan 06 2013 - 04:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24488 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postphiz, on Jan 06 2013 - 03:06, said:

Just wondering why you run a toolkit instead of binocs?  I know you have to turn a lot and that negates them to a degree, but I found when operating alone (out of necessity mind you), seeing my opponent first was the only way to live.  With such low hitpoints, it didn't seem like repairing was ever feasible.  You get shot, you die... It's a tough td to play I think, but not terrible.  It's really adapting to the tank instead of making it fit your preferred playstyle.  From what you wrote and my own experience, I don't think there's more than one way to play this tank.

reason I do not run binocs is because of the not very good gun arc, and its a nuisance to wait 3 seconds until binocs kicks in. I run toobox since I didnt really have anything better to run, and I only had one guy on repair, so just in case I get tracked without a repair kit or something