• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

Brooksman #1 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 04:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 6874 battles
  • [TOON] TOON
Hello all,
I am a new player who is really bad at this game. My stats are trash, and according to every team member that has insulted me (common occurrence), so am I.
To remedy this state, i have watched and read much on the game systems and tactics, which helped slightly. I have tried every type of vehicle except heavy tanks and i like tanks with a good speed/gun combo and TD's with super front armor and accurate guns for sniping. My best tank is the M4 which i stupidly rushed to becuase eveyone rantas and raves of it, but i always get tracked or killed by a guy i can't pen. I am now consulting the forums as several of you have played unreal amounts of games and/or were beta testers in the very beginning of wot. Here are my handy dandy specific questions.

1.Do you have to wait until your reticle is very small to hit someone? I fire usually when the target fills 60-70 % of my reticle but get beat on the draw often.

2.How do you angle your tank to bounce shots, i try to present extreme angles to enemies with the m4 but to no avail.

3.How do you avoid being spotted while spotting the other team?

4.What are the best things to take cover behind (rocks, trees, bushes, houses, destructable objects ect.)

5. How to move (avoid getting tracked or one-shotted by arty) behind cover (avoid getting shot by Tanks and TD's)

6.Is arty a viable way to play? I tried it, but im just not "feeling" good about them

7.Is my play style viable? First, i wait 10-20 seconds to see how the team has dispersed and go the way with fewest allies (so my team does not get pincered). Second, run on flat open groung until lights spot first enemy and hid. I then "cover hop" while trying not to be killed if i am alone ( also a common occurence) or snipe from 2-3 rows back from the "front" which is my preferred position. The exception to this is that if i'm in a light i try to flank and spot for arty while weaving in the hopes the enemy miss.

8.What do you do when you are almost dead or about to be? I try running or backing down and get murdered (or mardered :) ) but my greatest success has been from suicide ramming and charge attacks (especially in the glorious M3 Lee)

That is all...for now

50LBHEAD1 #2 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:04

Captain

• Players
  • 9936 battles
  • [REL_3] REL_3
Hi there, first off, welcome to this great game and welcome to our great community here on the forums.

Let me start by saying, ignore the people yelling and screaming at you especially if they are insulting you, chances are, and please believe me as I have been accustom to this for a while now, chances are they also have terrible stats. Because I have two monitors, when I see an individual, calling me, or someone names, insults etc... I look up their stats and 9/10 times... yes 9/10 times they have TERRIBLE stats... One individual told me I was the worst player he has ever seen, didn't reply, looked up his stats... 35% hit ratio... (as anyone will tell you, he is either blind.. or really bad).

You are a greater player than you give yourself credit for, coming onto the forums and asking for help takes balls... and it already makes you a decent player for wanting to learn the ropes... furthermore, asking complete strangers for help is another step in the right direction and I commend you for that.

More experienced players will answer your questions shortly, I will leave that up to them. I, like you, still have much to learn. But please feel free to express your thoughts and feelings about the game and the experiences you may have had in-game and again, ignore anyone whoever insults you... they have no right to... A bad player will insult you, a good player will contact you and ask you if he/she can help you get a better grip on the game.

Again welcome! Please be more confident, stats don't always reflect the true skill of players and you asking for help already makes you a better player beyond a measurable doubt.

Edited by Reppic27, Jan 10 2013 - 05:08.

Brooksman #3 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 6874 battles
  • [TOON] TOON
Thank you sir, i  do love this game for its pacing, style, and tension packed gameplay and appreciate your response.

diesturmtiger #4 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:08

Captain

• Players
  • 9098 battles
The golden rule is to do at least your tanks health in damage. If you can do it, you're off to a good start. With your amount of battles, I'd say you should learn all the WoT basics, try out different tactics, and have some fun. After you have a decent amount of battles (1000-2000), THEN it is time to worry about your stats, and try to improve.

EXPLOsivesteen #5 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8760 battles
  • [FNRIR] FNRIR
1. Yes you should, unless you NEED to move behind cover.

2. You don't need to angle until you get some higher tiers. Those low tier tanks have such thin armor that it doesn't matter.

3.  Hide in a bush. Make sure they can't see ANY part of your tank, or you will be spotted.

4. Rocks. Destructable objects are only temporary because they can be shot down. Do the pop-out game.

5. Don't stop moving. Arty has a much harder time hitting a moving target.

6. Arty is completely different from normal tanks. They will take some getting used to. Be warned, they are getting nerfed soon.

7. If you are with a small amount of people, you are on defense. Find a nice, sexy rock near base and grind that thing.

8. Hopefully you are with other tanks. If that is the case, fall back and let them help. If you are alone, hide behind a rock and let the enemy come up. Most are scared of damage so it is common for people not to chase you.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SQbSGfDK7qU
Then this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wcqYSL-3L3I

Hochtaloughie #6 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21727 battles
  • [SM0KE] SM0KE
Many of your questions can be answered if you click on the "Media" tab on the main WoT webpage then select "Video". Scroll through the video choices and select the ones that you think will help the most.

My general suggestions for your gameplay are to a) learn to use cover. b) hang back behind the big guys at first and watch how they do things. c) Wait for your reticle to fully resolve on the far and mid range targets. d) if you are taking multiple hits, get to cover and hide behind something. d) try not to block team mates' shots or camp right behind anybody on the front line. e) make every shot count, don't just blaze away. Miss and they can get you while you reload.

DO watch the videos. They are really helpful.

EDIT: OH! and find people to Platoon with. There are a lot of folks out there that will be happy to help you along. (Grinding is boring enough without always doing it on your own!  :Smile_Default: )

Edited by Hochtaloughie, Jan 10 2013 - 05:20.

Argon3 #7 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:10

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 21672 battles
  • [DICE] DICE

View PostBrooksman, on Jan 10 2013 - 04:59, said:

Hello all,

1.Do you have to wait until your reticle is very small to hit someone? I fire usually when the target fills 60-70 % of my reticle but get beat on the draw often.
No but it helps
A 100% crew will shrink it faster

2.How do you angle your tank to bounce shots, i try to present extreme angles to enemies with the m4 but to no avail.
Look straight at middle of screen now turn head and look at side
Do that with your tank, it is now angles
Now the correct angle and when to do it only takes about 5000 games to learn OK
Shoot over a front fender that tends to work ok

Sit in a bush and don't moce or shot
They won't spot you unless very close
but your team mates might want you to help more

4.What are the best things to take cover behind (rocks, trees, bushes, houses, destructable objects ect.)
Cover stops rounds
Concelment makes you not seen
Inderstuctable building Concelment, but u can't see them either

5. How to move (avoid getting tracked or one-shotted by arty) behind cover (avoid getting shot by Tanks and TD's)
I have over 12K games and still get nailed
how to reduce getting hit
Zig zag

6.Is arty a viable way to play? I tried it, but im just not "feeling" good about them
Learn to use sniper(God) mode
And hope your team does not let a scout through to kill you

7.Is my play style viable? First, i wait 10-20 seconds to see how the team has dispersed and go the way with fewest allies (so my team does not get pincered). Second, run on flat open groung until lights spot first enemy and hid. I then "cover hop" while trying not to be killed if i am alone ( also a common occurence) or snipe from 2-3 rows back from the "front" which is my preferred position. The exception to this is that if i'm in a light i try to flank and spot for arty while weaving in the hopes the enemy miss.
Every game is different
Learn what and went to do it is a learned skill

8.What do you do when you are almost dead or about to be? I try running or backing down and get murdered (or mardered :) ) but my greatest success has been from suicide ramming and charge attacks (especially in the glorious M3 Lee)
Hide sneak back if possible
Or just die like a man if they have you

And read the WIKI most of this is gone over in more detail there

That is all...for now

Doh
I missed that no red
I'll be better
Red is for the mods only guys Oops

Red text in post. Warning issued.
~Sir_Explosion

Edited by Argon3, Jan 16 2013 - 00:50.

tvanderhart #8 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:18

Major

• Players
  • 2985 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
1.  I try to get it as small as possible, but then again, I'm a sniper with TD's.

2. No extreme angles, only around 20-30 degrees.  Too large of an angle will let them hit your soft side armor.

3.  Camo.  Lights can keep moving because their camo is the same whether moving or stopped, but others have to passive scout...though you really shouldn't be scouting in anything but a light.

4. Trees and bushes to keep your line of fire clear and for camo, rocks and houses to have something to retreat behind.  Hard to say without more context.

5. Depends on the tank, but staying with cover is really a good idea.  never overextend either.   Movements that are okay behind your lines can be terrible at the front lines.

6. Play it so you know it's strengths and weaknesses and can survive it later.  I wouldn't recommend making it in any way a primary playstyle.

7.  A fairly good playstyle, eliminates rushing on your part.  Only snipe if you are accurate enough to keep it up, usually .4 or less for a midrange sniper, .35 or less for long range.   In light tanks, wait before doing what you said so enemies are already engaged.  Dodging can work, but is unreliable for most.

8.  Learn your enemies and surroundings.  If there is solid cover, like a building or a rock, take it ASAP.  Otherwise consider your mobility, your gun, your opponent, and his gun.  If facing a sniper, you want to get close to eliminate his far-range accuracy advantage.  If you are mobile enough to dodge, do it.  If you are larger than your enemy, ram, otherwise, don't bother, it just makes it easier on him.  If you are a sniper, back off to get the advantage of your accuracy.  If you are loaded, and he is not, stop for a sec to take a better shot, rather than taking potshots on the run in the hope of getting a hit while fleeing.  More can be found elsewhere.

Coming to the forums was the best thing you could do.  Most of what I just wrote was parroted from things I have learned in other places on the forum.  Search around and you'll find everything you need right here.

As said above, the Wiki is also invaluable for learning about tanks and tactics.  http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Main_Page

Edited by tvanderhart, Jan 10 2013 - 05:20.

edwin009 #9 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22122 battles

View PostReppic27, on Jan 10 2013 - 05:04, said:

a good player will contact you and ask you if he/she can help you get a better grip on the game.
not in this game never

View PostTankDestroyerNoob, on Jan 10 2013 - 05:21, said:

Sir I do no agree with your last statement. Some teammates / tryhards are complete dicks to you (cough 1600+ efficency rating not you though) that got all crazy shitz on you for doing somting stupid. While others like you are passionate and open to help the more newer people to the game thank you your cool. But I just wanted to remind you that there are these serious people out there and play lower tiers to boost up their own efficiency and rage at others
most people who are "really good" are douche bags

Edited by edwin009, Jan 10 2013 - 05:24.

Brooksman #10 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 6874 battles
  • [TOON] TOON
Do arty usually stay at the spawn, move up, or go to the maps edge?

TankDestroyerNoob #11 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6273 battles

Hi there, first off, welcome to this great game and welcome to our great community here on the forums.

Let me start by saying, ignore the people yelling and screaming at you especially if they are insulting you, chances are, and please believe me as I have been accustom to this for a while now, chances are they also have terrible stats. Because I have two monitors, when I see an individual, calling me, or someone names, insults etc... I look up their stats and 9/10 times... yes 9/10 times they have TERRIBLE stats... One individual told me I was the worst player he has ever seen, didn't reply, looked up his stats... 35% hit ratio... (as anyone will tell you, he is either blind.. or really bad).

You are a greater player than you give yourself credit for, coming onto the forums and asking for help takes balls... and it already makes you a decent player for wanting to learn the ropes... furthermore, asking complete strangers for help is another step in the right direction and I commend you for that.

More experienced players will answer your questions shortly, I will leave that up to them. I, like you, still have much to learn. But please feel free to express your thoughts and feelings about the game and the experiences you may have had in-game and again, ignore anyone whoever insults you... they have no right to... A bad player will insult you, a good player will contact you and ask you if he/she can help you get a better grip on the game.

Again welcome! Please be more confident, stats don't always reflect the true skill of players and you asking for help already makes you a better player beyond a measurable doubt.

Sir I do no agree with your last statement. Some teammates / tryhards are complete dicks to you (cough 1600+ efficency rating not you though) that got all crazy shitz on you for doing somting stupid. While others like you are passionate and open to help the more newer people to the game thank you your cool. But I just wanted to remind you that there are these serious people out there and play lower tiers to boost up their own efficiency and rage at others

cumminsdieseltrucks #12 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20217 battles
Ignore the insulting people. They are mad that they died and you are still alive.

1) yes and no- that comes with experience after time. If you are sniping aways yes let it get small. If you are close combat no. Basically if the tank fits in the circle you are good. If the tank is smaller then the circle wait a little longer.
2) not furesure on this one but I would say 25° ish
3) go thru a forest or rocks if possible. You will get spotted chances are and keep moving and zig-zag to keep from getting hit
4) houses or hard objects. Soft houses are good if no hard ones are around. Soft ones will take a shell and allow you to leave before you get hit.
5) that's tough; I have yet to figure that out my self. Arty splashes shells and usually breaks tracks. Carry a repair kit.
6) arty can be fun but it takes skill. Some are good others Team kill from lack of aiming and lobbing shells.
7) yes, I like it except...well depends on your tank. Of you are a td and slow I would go where someone has your sides and back just incase you get tracked. If you are a fast tank go right ahead with your style. I am not going to tell you what to do exactly so you do what you want to do on this question.
8) if you are half way low say 50% ram little tanks and snipe. If you are deathly low say less then 10% snipe at all costs.

Hope this answers a few questions and hope to see you out on the battle field! :-) I am not a expert at this so take what I told you with a Grain of salt.

Happy tanking!!!

007Infinitemortal #13 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:22

Major

• Players
  • 16280 battles
  • [BIMBO] BIMBO

View PostBrooksman, on Jan 10 2013 - 04:59, said:

Hello all,
I am a new player who is really bad at this game. My stats are trash, and according to every team member that has insulted me (common occurrence), so am I.
To remedy this state, i have watched and read much on the game systems and tactics, which helped slightly. I have tried every type of vehicle except heavy tanks and i like tanks with a good speed/gun combo and TD's with super front armor and accurate guns for sniping. My best tank is the M4 which i stupidly rushed to becuase eveyone rantas and raves of it, but i always get tracked or killed by a guy i can't pen. I am now consulting the forums as several of you have played unreal amounts of games and/or were beta testers in the very beginning of wot. Here are my handy dandy specific questions.

That is all...for now
1. It depend on distance. 100m = 50% with M4 gun. It varies depending on the gun
2. Even though it has tin armor angle it. It could prevent you from fire when versing same tier.
3.And get behind a rock or indestructible houses. Never a tree.
4.When facing a TD you should never stop to shoot. track them, or get behind. Unless American M series. When facing big heavies flank them while your team is going head to head with them and get behind and shoot them. Only do this if the flank is clear. When it is 1 vs 1, use your speed to circle the slower tanks.e.g heavys.
5. Move back and forth, side to side.
6.Arty's are very good if you know how to use them. But learn that once you've mastered tanks.
7.Yes for the see what your team is doing. Then seek for support with a big heavy. But never go in open. By then it's already too late.
8.Back up and wait for them to come to you. depending on their health and the situation your in.

Brooksman #14 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 6874 battles
  • [TOON] TOON
WOW, fast response guys :)

007Infinitemortal #15 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:23

Major

• Players
  • 16280 battles
  • [BIMBO] BIMBO

View PostBrooksman, on Jan 10 2013 - 05:19, said:

They find a suitable spot then move after firing. Also when spotted.

Whee #16 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:24

Major

• Players
  • 21669 battles
  • [ELUDE] ELUDE
Hey Brooksman, welcome to the WoT NA forum. Glad you asked us and accepted that you are not a "good" player. 327 battles is not enough to say you understand a lot about this game, in fact IMO I consider any player with less than 5k of battles "still learning the ropes". So if anyone says "Your stats sucks" or "Go uninstall noob" you can just put them on ignore or report them for rude behavior. That does not mean you should use what I said as an excuse and "goof" off and not support your team.

It's a good thing you already found your type of taste this early. It took me a VERY long time with many battles (somewhere around 6k) before I understood what my play style was. What I still will suggest is keep trying as much as possible tanks while making small step-goals to obtain that particular tank.

There's just so much to explain in this game, its such a big learning curve. I mean, even after 13k of battles, I still have not "mastered" or became a "veteran" of this game yet. There's still much to learn.

1) Not always. Some tanks have really good "on-the-move" accuracy. To name one, Patton. However, it is always much better to not rush a shot and let the reticule shrink. Only in situations when you need to peek-a-boo or when you flank should u not need to shrink.
2) There are some tanks that, no matter what you just can't angle. Some tanks don't even have enough armor to angle and deflect a shot. Tanks like the BatChat, KV-1S, and the M4 in your case just don't have the armor capacity to deflect a shot. What a tank can't afford armor usually has mobility to compensate. Use that. Flank, retreat, relocate. The M4 in your case, has a special armor called the "gun mantle" meaning it's a very hard piece of armor (on front of your turret). Combined with amazing gun depression, you can abuse the terrain giving enemies a hard time to defeat you.
3) So much to talk about. Size, mobility, terrain, camoflague value has a part about visibility. Usually, the best tanks to scout the enemy without being detected are light tanks and TDs. Or any low profile tanks. Simply hide behind a bush.
4) Anything that just shields you from harm. Heck, even destructible buildings are useful.
5) If you play arty, you should understand the typical game play. Where do they set up? Where are they usually focused? As a general tip, try to find protection away from the enemy base.
6) Yes it is although there's a lot of debate that it's game breaking. IMO, I believe that it's just fine.
7) That's... a really tough question to answer. Different tanks require different play style and tactics. I think generally that is a good rule of thumb for tactics.
8) Depends on the situation. If desperate time calls for desperate situation, I try to lay one shot of to die. In rare instances, I will sacrifice my tank to deal ramming damage or protect my ally from death.

Phew, that's a lot of questions! I highly suggest you to read up some guides. Look up Lert's collection of guide! They are of great help!

I hope you will continue to have fun and slowly develop and improve.

gybob #17 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8531 battles
  • [CRASH] CRASH
One more suggestion, slow down, if you are already at the M4 with just over 300 battles you are rushing things; trust me. I had 3000 battles in when I realized I really sucked at this game and wanted to do better. So what did I do, I started new lines and I'm playing each crew to 100%.

My Cruiser Mk IV had a 39% win rate and a 62% crew but was fully elited with less than 20 battles 2 months ago, now I have 82 battles, a 56% win rate and an 85% crew in that tank. My effeciency just in that tank is over 1000. Compare those stats to my signature information and you will see what slowing down and learning each tank can do for you.

I'm also running my other tanks for some variety, but I am down in the lower tiers almost all of the time, like I said, I'm working to learn the game.

Hochtaloughie #18 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21727 battles
  • [SM0KE] SM0KE

View PostBrooksman, on Jan 10 2013 - 05:19, said:

A successful arty player will do all of those things depending on the map, available cover, what the shooting range of your SPG is and the tactical situation as it develops. Even at lower tiers, get into the habit of moving after every shot ( your shell track, or tracer, can be seen by other arty and they can zero in on you that way without actually seeing you). Your reload time is usually long enough to make relocating after each shot a viable option.
Become a master of watching your mini-map. Quite often you will see a "leaker" come through your lines. Be assured, he is looking for YOU!

Edited by Hochtaloughie, Jan 10 2013 - 05:31.

Brooksman #19 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 6874 battles
  • [TOON] TOON
What is a fast teir 2-3 arty? I tried the teir 2 russian one but it is very slow so i dont move at all.

Whee #20 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 05:35

Major

• Players
  • 21669 battles
  • [ELUDE] ELUDE

View PostBrooksman, on Jan 10 2013 - 05:32, said:

What is a fast teir 2-3 arty? I tried the teir 2 russian one but it is very slow so i dont move at all.

M37 is fast. It's alright for its tier but the real goodness only begins at tier 5 for American SPGs.

You should understand the differences between each nation. Strengths, weaknesses, what they provide and excel at...

Then you can go down a line and find what you really want because eventually you will get to the last tier. But of course, you can still change.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users