tier 1 survival guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

will_to_power #1 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 23:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 448 battles
there really isn't much here to help tier 1 players who don't have money to spend on gold (the ones who can buy gold, well congrats you'll win more, you can stop reading now).  so here's some of my thoughts on what works to keep your baby seal butt from getting clubbed.

1. locate the 'pros' on your team.  a lot of them have a clan name in brackets beside their name.

2. let the pros do the spotting for you.  they almost certainly have 100% crew and binoculars and several other things they bought to let them spot enemies easier and farther away.  you, with your 50% or 75% crew and no special equipment, can't see as far and often will get shot by enemies you haven't seen yet.  so find a good position behind your pro, with good field of fire, and let him light up the targets.  they'd prefer it the other way around (letting you die and then sniping your killer), but it's better to be the sniper than the bait.

3. look across the map and identify the places an enemy sniper could get you from, and keep something (hills, buildings, etc) between you and those spots as much as possible.  but don't just hide completely - you do need to peek out occasionally to see if something's approaching.

4. with a 50% crew, your best choice of gun is probably the rapid fire ones.  some of the sniping guns take forever to aim, and you'll sometimes eat 1 or 2 shells before you can fire 1.  with rapid fire guns you can reliably do some damage with far less aiming time.  at close range, a full clip kills a tier 1 tank.  use short bursts, one after another, and you'll be more accurate than spraying.  the larger caliber guns are more effective against tier 2 tanks and at longer ranges, though, and are worth considering when you get your crew trained a litle more.

5. contrary to what I said in #2, there is a map where you can scout and live.  province.  cross the valley directly across from your starting point and inch along the enemy's side of the valley, under them.  your spotting range limitations won't matter because you'll be very close, and they can't fire down at you without getting shot themselves.  light up the enemies one at a time, let the pro snipers get them, and inch ahead again.  just hug the base of the hill and watch for enemies in the valley.  I'm told you get experience points for damage done to enemies you spotted, so this is productive even if it isn't you getting the kills.

6. kick the enemy when he's down.  if you see an enemy cornered by a teammate, don't just watch - get in there and ruin his day twice as much.  the enemy dies faster and you and your teammate are freed up faster to corner another enemy.  distracted enemies are easy meat - never pass up that chance.

7. look at the map.  watch for signs of enemy 'momentum', and go support any teammates in that area.  you could go alone but your chances are better if you're not alone.

8. use common sense.  if something seems like a bad idea, it probably is.  if you think you're too exposed, you probably are.  if someone dies, don't do what he just did.

[edit] adding:

9. sometimes you'll get thrown into tier 2 matches.  don't panic - your gun can hurt most tier 2's.  you just have to be extra careful about staying in cover.

10. become skilled at swerving (or stopping) to avoid hitting allies at the beginning of matches.  everyone on the team gets where they're going faster and more focused.

AGK47 #2 Posted Jan 10 2013 - 23:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15884 battles
  • [53RD] 53RD
A very good guide for the noobs. You have most of your info correct, which is awesome for 311 battles.
The only thing I disagree with is number 5, but A, I have bad luck, and B, if they can get to the other side of the valley, they are relatively safe. +1 to you.

usa1127 #3 Posted Jan 11 2013 - 00:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4190 battles
Great guide! I still run my ltraktor for fun, and if all tier 1 read this they would (I hope) be less incompetent. +1

Cris738 #4 Posted Jan 11 2013 - 00:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4170 battles
+1 to you :Smile_glasses:. A really good guide for pubs

vonkevin #5 Posted Jan 11 2013 - 01:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25157 battles
I disagree with #1 - the biggest idiots I have ever seen, had clan tags.

Clan tags in Tier 1 do NOT mean "pros" - they mean guys not good enough to fight clan wars battles, and guys who's entire stats reflect nothing more than trolling noobs.

In general, seeing clan tags in tier 1/2 mean someone who can safely be ignored, as they try so hard to tell everyone what to do....because 90% of the time they are telling the WRONG thing to do.

will_to_power #6 Posted Jan 11 2013 - 04:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 448 battles

View Postvonkevin, on Jan 11 2013 - 01:15, said:

Clan tags in Tier 1 do NOT mean "pros" - they mean guys not good enough to fight clan wars battles, and guys who's entire stats reflect nothing more than trolling noobs.

In general, seeing clan tags in tier 1/2 mean someone who can safely be ignored, as they try so hard to tell everyone what to do....because 90% of the time they are telling the WRONG thing to do.

yeah I didn't mean pro as a compliment. :-p  I was just saying that these are the guys who can see farther and shoot straighter (because of the 100% crews).

supercooldeputydude #7 Posted Jan 13 2013 - 04:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 2676 battles
Excellent post OP. +1 from me. A few other notes:

1) At tier 1 you will ALWAYS get one of four maps:
Himmelsdorf
Province
Malinovka
Mines

They each have completely different playstyles. Malinovka is a completely open field on the west side, with a hill with hiding spots (bushes and such) on the east side. Province is much more of a hide and snipe map. I have gotten many a Top Gun in Province simply by finding my favorite sniping spots with a good view of most of the map (there are many) and simply sitting and firing. Himmelsdorf is a city map; completely different from the other three in all respects. For each map, learn them well, learn the good spots and bad spots to sit, learn the good spots and bad spots to run, etc. Learn which spots on which maps require you to have teammates nearby and which spots don't. For instance, in "heavy alley" (the 8 line road) in Himmelsdorf you can, quite often, hold off 4-5 tanks on your own. Not always, but oftentimes the pubbies are not brave enough to try to outgun you together. On Mines, if you try to get to the top of the hill with no support you most likely will die quickly.

From my experience, you will get those four maps and tier 1-only battles for the first 20 battles in each tier 1 tank. Then you will begin to get into tier 2 battles. But no worries: tier 2s are mostly slightly bigger and faster versions of the tier 1s, but you can still do plenty of damage to them, and the tier 2 drivers are more often than not just as ignorant and cowardly as the tier 1 drivers, since they more often than not drove their tier 1s just 3-4 times, figured out that they could upgrade to tier 2, but still do not know the game. Their armor is mostly still fully penetrable by all tier 1 tank guns.

2) Also, know your tanks. Each of the five current tier 1 tanks has its own advantages an disadvantages. T1 Cunningham, many people's favorites, is the fastest but has the worst gun. I hated it. Mk.1 medium British is a HUGE tank for tier 1, has tin foil armor, is the second slowest tier 1 tank, but also has the biggest gun by far. No other tier 1 tank can 2-shot any other tank (ammo racks and such aside). So the Mk.1 stays behind cover and shoots; otherwise it WILL die. And on and on with all five tier 1 tanks. Know ALL of each of your tank's stats, inside and out.

3) Look at the gun selection for each tank. Many players go right for the machine gun. While I do agree with the OP's idea of running with the rapid fire gun when your crew is low on experience, as soon as you are able, go with the big guns. Big guns have more penetration and better accuracy. The little machine guns in Province will do almost nothing for you; you will just spray shells all over, and those that manage to hit the target will seldom penetrate them. Contrast that with the big guns, slower firing, but with patience you can kill an exposed enemy tank with 3-4 shots in less than 20 seconds..

And I love this quote:

8. use common sense.  if something seems like a bad idea, it probably is.  if you think you're too exposed, you probably are.  if someone dies, don't do what he just did.

==================================

View Postvonkevin, on Jan 11 2013 - 01:15, said:

I take FULL offense at that. Many clans have idiots, but they simply give the good clans, those with good attitudes, a bad name. And many clans are generated specifically for friends to more easily play together and have no interest in Clan Wars. I run XVM (a mod showing other players' stats) and so I know who has played how many battles, and how "good" they are based on win rate and Eff Rating (the latter is, of course, BS, since it can be gamed so easily). When I see new players I always try my best to type into chat what they can/should do to help the team. Not all clans are bad, so don't be so completely stupid as to blindly place all clan members into the 'idiot' category. It shows your ignorance, regardless of your 14K battles. There is only one exception that I know of: UMB. They specifically play tiers 1 and 2 and nothing else and make no secret about it. Regardless of the UMB platoons, smart play enables me to beat them at least as much as they beat me.

Flavin #8 Posted Jan 14 2013 - 06:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 4691 battles
  • [CATCH] CATCH
Not all people with clan tags playing in tier 1-2 battles are idiots. Our clan plays them some times, but it's just to relax from higher tier matches. Sometimes it's just fun to run around and blow stuff up, that and for me in particular, trying to get those tanks WR up, as when I was at that level I just ran around and died most of the time.