One simple mindset to help you win if you're a beginner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Pejicron #1 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
The most common mindset of a beginner is "I need to get to the flag and cap it to win," and this mindset leads to a lot of losses. This is a tough concept to understand, because it seems like capping the flag is the win condition. But from a game design perspective, capping is actually a mechanic to end the game when one side has clearly won, and is a time saver so you don't have to hunt everyone down.

Change your mind so that your win condition is "I need to do my part to help kill all of the enemy tanks," and you will notice that you will perform better. You can think of the enemy flag as a noob-magnet if you need to, but focus on what you can do to help kill enemy tanks instead of advancing to the flag. If you do this, then you will be less likely to overextend out of position, and more likely to turn around or move across the battlefield as needed. Even if you are taking losses, don't make a mad dash to the flag and think you did your part for reaching the "goal." Instead, regroup. If a team regroups and moves to the right place at the right time, then that team can certainly make a comeback.

P.S. I know capping in the middle of the game happens almost every battle, but actually knowing when a midgame cap would be effective is an advanced tactic. This is why I recommend this change in mindset for beginners.

fatkiddown #2 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
And always be sure to leave the flag cap to kill that last, low-low tier arty.  Do this especially if the enemy team is capping as well.  Ignore the fact that this will lose the game.  By all means, get that damage -- ergo, efficiency -- up!!!

feanval #3 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
just don't try to be individual it is a team game find out where are the most common places to find enemy and try doing your best ...

Marduk10 #4 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:46

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just Kill Two Tanks.

FlorbFnarb #5 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:00

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostPeejzero, on Jan 16 2013 - 20:27, said:

The most common mindset of a beginner is "I need to get to the flag and cap it to win," and this mindset leads to a lot of losses. This is a tough concept to understand, because it seems like capping the flag is the win condition. But from a game design perspective, capping is actually a mechanic to end the game when one side has clearly won, and is a time saver so you don't have to hunt everyone down.

Change your mind so that your win condition is "I need to do my part to help kill all of the enemy tanks," and you will notice that you will perform better. You can think of the enemy flag as a noob-magnet if you need to, but focus on what you can do to help kill enemy tanks instead of advancing to the flag. If you do this, then you will be less likely to overextend out of position, and more likely to turn around or move across the battlefield as needed. Even if you are taking losses, don't make a mad dash to the flag and think you did your part for reaching the "goal." Instead, regroup. If a team regroups and moves to the right place at the right time, then that team can certainly make a comeback.

P.S. I know capping in the middle of the game happens almost every battle, but actually knowing when a midgame cap would be effective is an advanced tactic. This is why I recommend this change in mindset for beginners.

I endorse this post.  Good stuff.

vipercobra69 #6 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Indeed capping isnt as important as doing damage but can be a great help even if you dont intend to actually complete the cap. Alot of the time just the threat of getting capped will make people on the enemy team panick and overextend themselves for slaughter but this is indeed more of an advanced tactic.

FlorbFnarb #7 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:05

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postvipercobra69, on Jan 16 2013 - 21:02, said:

Indeed capping isnt as important as doing damage but can be a great help even if you dont intend to actually complete the cap. Alot of the time just the threat of getting capped will make people on the enemy team panick and overextend themselves for slaughter but this is indeed more of an advanced tactic.

Correct.  The cap is basically a place for noobs to avoid, for the most part, until the match is obviously won.

DeathMongrel #8 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:24

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
This is a very appropriate, and NEEDED, suggestion for Encounter battles, but not so much for Standard.  As one poster mentioned it can be a great distraction tool to actually help eliminate those enemies....

Urban_Cohort #9 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:29

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
More then that, I'd advise new players to recognize the difference between "staying together" and "getting in each other's way".  Remember to maintain proper spacing and BE AWARE of when you're blocking a lane of fire.

will_to_power #10 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
a good mindset is putting yourself with the crew - act as if what happens to them happens to you.

that should keep most people alive past the first 2 minutes.

tenshin111 #11 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDeathMongrel, on Jan 16 2013 - 21:24, said:

This is a very appropriate, and NEEDED, suggestion for Encounter battles, but not so much for Standard.  As one poster mentioned it can be a great distraction tool to actually help eliminate those enemies....

I've seen quite a few battles where my team was so focused about running around and killing everybody that we lost to a brave, single capper in our base :P

Similarily, I've had battles where we lost after two or three minutes, even though we had advantage in numbers because everyone was too forward and engaged in battle/hunting while a couple of smart enemies realized what the tactical situation was and started capping in the right moment. And the final result was like 8:5 kills and a loss for us ;)

Edited by tenshin111, Jan 16 2013 - 21:34.

battleaxe0 #12 Posted Jan 17 2013 - 00:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The cap is there just to let the enemy know where a novice has decided to park.  It's a burglar alarm.

Kaeldian #13 Posted Jan 17 2013 - 00:32

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
OP speaks truth.  I adopted the "tanks first, flag later" mindset after I learned that the flag was an afterthought added to the game to prevent stalemates due to that last tank hiding.  Was one of the first of many steps I took that raised me from the 46%r I used to be.

PanzerXO #14 Posted Jan 17 2013 - 03:46

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Another good thought: Go for Confederate in every game.  Not Top Gun.

If you damage as many tanks as you can (safely), rather than exposing yourself (unnecessarily) for a kill, you will get more EXP and do more for your team.

Caveat:  killsteal like a bandit any tanks that you can one-shot easily.  A 1% tank can still deal a lot of damage to your team.

- which is a good reason to back off when you get low on HP and save yourself for the endgame.

Live longer, damage more, win more.