Playing A Heavy On El Hallauf

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

dawgfangs #1 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Think I misspelled the map title, but you know what I'm talking about.  I was under the impression the best way to play this was choose a spot on the north or south hills and pick off your opponents when they go down in the valley.  That's how I was playing, as I primarily play td's and my KV-1.  In one match, a teammate was castigating me to the point I reported him for insults, (he was actually encouraging our arty to kill me), because I didn't go down there.  I told him my KV-1 didn't have the speed or agility to do that.  Our other heavies tried that, and they all ended up killed.  They tried to climb the hill on the far right and got pasted.  I have since added a T29 to my garage, and am wondering if I should be playing this map differently.  Only other maps I recall being similar are Province, (which doesn't see heavies), and maybe Dragon Ridge, where almost everyone stays on the main road.

DEZLOK #2 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
either snipe like you said or battle it out on the A line

FlorbFnarb #3 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:49

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
El Halluf requires sniping for the most part.  There are times to rush the middle and get hull-down, or to rush the other side, but when in doubt, hold your side and wait for a sniping opportunity.

gardeth #4 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:52

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
If you are in the top half of the tank lineup (or top two tiers) and a heavy tank, you REALLY should be fighting in the A-line.  Nothing worse than having your tanks highest tier heavy wasting his time sniping when he should be working hard on the A line.

StumpBeefbroth #5 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:54

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The OP is correct for the most part.  That central valley is a big kill box.  I get really pissed when teammates rumble down there and get picked off.  But I dont turn into quite the ass the OP mentioned.

Gryfr #6 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
PM these replies to your teammate.

Rypper #7 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
If you`re not pushing/defending A2 in a well-armored heavy - you're in the wrong spot.

vipercobra69 #8 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Alot of it also would depend on the enemy team composition and the amount of arties on each team. With alot of meds on the enemy team they will most likely take the southeast part of the map in the water. The northwest ridge can be held by minimal forces if you have competent arty. Heavies normally shouldnt rush into that southeast valley tho.

Dogface_GI #9 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have seen that map won with sniping, with pushing the west map edge, and with a wild push up the middle. There is no rule. Dont listen to (probably dead) whiners.

timwahoo #10 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 20:59

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Right click and ignore annoying people

But tactics on that map for slow heavies are limited to baiting for arty support in the north, or if you are game - rush to cover at the base of the hill in the south and move upwards to spot their campers. That can be either a game winning move, or a quick trip back to your garage (a win either way if you ask me)

angrypapi #11 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:00

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
You'll love pushing A-line in the T29. It's a hull down dream come true.

Wraith27 #12 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:01

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
If watching other heavies is an indicator, I would think your job would be to drive to A3 and die.  If you go there and DON'T die, you win.

And if you are a light, you are supposed to go to encounter rock, get killed, then rage at your teammates for not supporting you.

I play TD's so my job is to get one-shot by arties when I miss the light at encounter rock.

It is all about knowing your job...

Kaputt #13 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
In cases where you want to divert a portion of enemy tanks away from the A line and you have a fast heavy like an IS or IS-3, you can rush to H6/H7 (down south in the bay area).  From the bottom you have the hills to protect you so you can use peak-a-boo tactics to damage, distract, kill and/or spot tanks at the top.  One or two heavies in the H6/H7 area is a big threat since there is an opportunity to sneak up the hill, but do not try sneaking up the hill until some of the enemy snipers are taken out or most of the enemy forces are tied up at the A line.

Edited by Kaputt, Jan 16 2013 - 21:06.

FlorbFnarb #14 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:04

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Too many of the responses are over-simplistic.

For one thing, are you really saying that all heavies should automatically hit the A-line and head for A2 regardless of whether it's an Encounter match or Standard Battle?

For another thing, there are other viable strategies even on Encounter.  I have seen people rush the east side successfully once the bulk of the other team's firepower was tied up on that NW hill.  I believe it was Kilgor that I saw point this out, and he's correct.  The assumption that everybody or almost everybody should just blob to the NW hill and duke it out there is wrong.

FlorbFnarb #15 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:04

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostWraith27, on Jan 16 2013 - 21:01, said:

If watching other heavies is an indicator, I would think your job would be to drive to A3 and die.  If you go there and DON'T die, you win.

And if you are a light, you are supposed to go to encounter rock, get killed, then rage at your teammates for not supporting you.

I play TD's so my job is to get one-shot by arties when I miss the light at encounter rock.

It is all about knowing your job...

lulz

So sad, and yet so true...

Sgtrock12 #16 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postangrypapi, on Jan 16 2013 - 21:00, said:

You'll love pushing A-line in the T29. It's a hull down dream come true.
Tis so so true. A favorite of mine

Sgtrock12 #17 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostFlorbFnarb, on Jan 16 2013 - 21:04, said:

Too many of the responses are over-simplistic.

For one thing, are you really saying that all heavies should automatically hit the A-line and head for A2 regardless of whether it's an Encounter match or Standard Battle?

For another thing, there are other viable strategies even on Encounter.  I have seen people rush the east side successfully once the bulk of the other team's firepower was tied up on that NW hill.  I believe it was Kilgor that I saw point this out, and he's correct.  The assumption that everybody or almost everybody should just blob to the NW hill and duke it out there is wrong.
This to is true. I just like to go to the A line due to the action I see there. In my T 29 or T32 its a real blast if done properly from the south base. If coming from the north Its a toss up but the A line is still fun to hull down.

RobertK #18 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostRypper, on Jan 16 2013 - 20:58, said:

If you`re not pushing/defending A2 in a well-armored heavy - you're in the wrong spot.

I used to think that was true. But since the map was changed, if there is mid- to high-tier artillery, that spot is a death trap. There is simply no place to be artillery safe there.

So if there is artillery involved, I am instead looking for a good way to drive into the enemy's face from the south or middle. Staying in the valley isn't a good survival tactic, but being up against the enemy's ridgeline can be artillery safe and tough for them to spot and dislodge.

Bob

sukhoi_vegas #19 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
El Halluf needs a ridge/mountain in the middle.

mattwong #20 Posted Jan 16 2013 - 21:57

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
The problem with El Halluf is that there are few good routes across the valley for a slow tank other than the northwest corner, which is why there's always a heavy firefight there.  And if you can't get across the valley, you can only snipe, which is not really the best use of a heavy tank.

There are more options for medium and light tanks because of their speed, but heavies just don't fare well trying to go anywhere but the northwest corner IMO.