Stug III crew skill switch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

zGarmin #1 Posted Jan 17 2013 - 12:24

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Since I have started getting a decent number of games underneath my belt for my Stug III, as such my crew skills are slowly inching their way towards that glorious 100% mark. I now have to ponder whether or not retraining my crew towards BIA as their first skill slot makes sense. Primarily, the 5% camouflage bonus that BIA has; has me rather interested in it as an alternative to the selection I would have gone with: Sixth sense, Clutch braking and 2x Camouflage as the first skill slot.

Now the real point of the matter, is there enough benefit from BIA to justify a switch over?

Tiger131ace #2 Posted Jan 17 2013 - 12:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
as a stug iii lover, i would say that our little babe needs the 6th sense as it is a td, you may also want to have other essential perks or skills such as camouflage or repair  ect.... ( i'm using mentor so the other crew members get additional exp) i'm using the BIA as my 3rd perk.

Loyal_Viggo #3 Posted Jan 17 2013 - 13:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
OP, my StuG crew are setup as:

As my StuG has good camo and additional permanent camo, I set my first grind also to camo. I found at around 60%+ camo I survived much longer, and from testing with friends found that it was roughly 30-35m before a light tank could scout me in my StuG at 85%+ camo.

When that was 100% I changed each to appropriate for each member, ie Commander - Sixth Sense, Gunner - Designated Target, etc. Then again set new grind to camo.

When 2nd reached 100% I then switched all to those above and also BIA, and this time also set new grind to camo.

Once this 3rd reaches 100% I'll choose another appropriate skill and then grind camo again.

I guess it's down to personal preference, and if you have the gold to switch at no penalty.

Trust this helps.

For The Baron!

Start2 #4 Posted Jan 17 2013 - 13:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLoyal_Viggo, on Jan 17 2013 - 13:46, said:

As my StuG has good camo and additional permanent camo, I set my first grind also to camo. I found at around 60%+ camo I survived much longer, and from testing with friends found that it was roughly 30-35m before a light tank could scout me in my StuG at 85%+ camo.

When that was 100% I changed each to appropriate for each member, ie Commander - Sixth Sense, Gunner - Designated Target, etc. Then again set new grind to camo.

When 2nd reached 100% I then switched all to those above and also BIA, and this time also set new grind to camo.

Once this 3rd reaches 100% I'll choose another appropriate skill and then grind camo again.

I guess it's down to personal preference, and if you have the gold to switch at no penalty.

Trust this helps.

For The Baron!

Seconded!!! Well Done!

I have done this on countless vehicles. BIA could also be done this way, but I feel that should be a lower priority on 5 man crews.

sampak #5 Posted Jan 17 2013 - 20:26

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLoyal_Viggo, on Jan 17 2013 - 13:46, said:

Trust this helps.

For The Baron!

I hope you realize getting your 3rd skill (camo) to increase, especially up to something significant like 75%, then soon 100% will take itself almost 400-700 battles or more. That's with at least 500-600 average exp in your Stug III.

For comparison, my E-75 is earning an average of a paltry 650 exp per battle. I have 950 battles on that E-75 and its crew. They're still, only at 80% on their 3rd skill.

Now granted, I see what you're doing there, and that is a good way to earn your way up to those Perk skills while being able to make use of something until you reach the 100% mark, however for the Stug III, you will find that only a simple crew with 100% camo and maybe repair is all you really need. Sure, the others can help, but I have played the Stug III on test servers and my friend's account now and then, and it is by far the most fun at tier 5 I've had (by fun, I mean I win 60% of my games, with around 600 damage per battle).

My play style and opinion on getting skills for a new Stug III would be this way - if I'm taking module damage in my Stug, then I'm already in trouble, because my job is to remain hidden. In that case, if I break a track, I just use the repair kit and quickly get to cover, or traverse to face the pesky T-50 and nuke him. Granted the repair skill is always handy -- I'd still train camo skill up to 100% and take repair later, to help me remain hidden (while making proper use of bushes and shoot from 15m back) rather than take my chances with the < 350 hp my Stug has, and being shot and trying to repair my tracks with repair skill.. Does that make sense?