WZ-132: Engine upgrade purpose?

chinese light tanks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

Bobthewonder #1 Posted Jan 19 2013 - 22:00

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10308 battles
Anyone know what the deal is with the engine upgrade on this tank?  Same HP, same fire % chance, 10kg lighter....

I'm guessing it's the equivalent of ricing out your light tank?

UnEnculturate #2 Posted Jan 19 2013 - 22:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7863 battles
  • [TCH] TCH
I'm curious about that engine, too.  It doesn't seem like an upgrade.

Psykmoe #3 Posted Jan 19 2013 - 23:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15361 battles
  • [STUG] STUG
It has twice the module durability, letting you run the Removed Speed Governor twice as long, if you use it.

Not great design to make the biggest upgrade invisible.

UnEnculturate #4 Posted Jan 20 2013 - 02:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7863 battles
  • [TCH] TCH

View PostPsykmoe, on Jan 19 2013 - 23:35, said:

It has twice the module durability, letting you run the Removed Speed Governor twice as long, if you use it.

Not great design to make the biggest upgrade invisible.

I always find that annoying.  The mechanical sturdiness of an engine could be an odd/difficult stat to include, but even a qualitative scale like "very reliable, reliable, unreliable" or something to that effect would be appreciated.  There must be some way to make more of the hidden stats less, well, hidden, especially because they have an impact on players' understanding of a tank's strengths and weaknesses, thus how to play/play against said tank.

Leaving some things to in-game experience is fine, but when it comes to questions like the one in this thread, it would be nice to see an answer somewhere.

Bobthewonder #5 Posted Jan 20 2013 - 08:40

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10308 battles
Now that you say that, it makes sense. When i was trying to figure out my upgrade order i wasn't thinking about things like that.  Oh well, thanks for your help guys.

Galdor302 #6 Posted Jan 20 2013 - 14:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 14344 battles
  • [BH_] BH_
Curious to know if there is a place I can go (or link to somewhere in these forums) that would give me this kind of information. I really don't think keeping stats like these hidden from players, and I do hope Wargaming changes it.

Psykmoe #7 Posted Jan 20 2013 - 15:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15361 battles
  • [STUG] STUG
World of tanks/res/scripts/item_defs/vehicles/*nation has all of this information (except for camo values, which are not handled clientside) in xml files. You can technically open these with a text editor, but it'll look like gibberish with numbers in it. There's a program called Wottools that can load in these xml files to look at, in easier to read formatting. The WoT install maintains separate xml files for vehicle soft stats (aim bloom, ground resistance, gun depression) and xml files for Components (split by nation) that have module hitpoints and such.

Additionally there's an xml file that lists how much different vehicles 'weight' in the matchmaker.  Since the MM gives each team a weight limit according to the tier of the fight, it has to fill the limit with tanks. Much like Mechwarrior drop limits ;) For example, the Type 59 is worth as much as a tier8 heavy in MM weight. Tier9 and 10 mediums, TDs and heavies all weight the same, at lower tiers heavies weight more than TDs and mediums. The MM weight file lists exceptions like the Jumbo Sherman is weighted like a heavy (makes sense) and the Comet is weighted like a tier7 heavy (bwuh?)

There's reams of information available in your WoT folder that never makes it onto the in-game screen. Some of it makes little sense since we don't know how the engine does its math. Additionally, even with wottools, most of these files are simply formatted confusingly and are pretty annoying to read.

Edited by Psykmoe, Jan 20 2013 - 15:29.

Galdor302 #8 Posted Jan 20 2013 - 23:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 14344 battles
  • [BH_] BH_
Thanks Psykmoe, +1 for an awesome and helpful response :Smile_honoring: