Open Apology & Thanks To The WOT Community

Apology Thanks Unicum Naming And Thanking

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

Mc_Black #1 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 19:15

Sergeant

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 0 battles
Now that I have a decent number of games under my belt, something has been nagging at me that I would like to address.

This is a long post, but I would like to revisit my early days and apologize for them.  Hopefully you'll get a kick out of this... as I moved through most of the traditional player groupings.

The Seal
Before WOT I had never played video games other than the occasional shooter and COH, which I enjoyed playing mostly for the graphics and historical accuracy.  The idea of recreating WW2 battles in some fashion was quite interesting to me.  So, when my friend told me about a "cool WW2 tank game that is free" I thought I should check it out.  So I made an account, with no clue how to play.  I simply drove around chasing red dots, and was quite thrilled to hit something.  This was fun for a while, but then my friend told me that the most fun was spending some money and buying a Lowe.  This would get me credits that I could use to make my Tier2 tank better and help me get a Tier3, etc.

The Noob
Now I was the beast!  I had this incredible, huge tank in my garage, that could demolish anything... at least it looked that way in my garage. So off I went into battle, with no more knowledge than my Tier2 experience provided me.  Wow was I a disaster, now I was this huge slow tank trying to chase red tanks that seemed to be able to run around me and hurt me.  Regardless, I had fun and was quite happy to kill one tank every so often.  Then, I was told the Lowe is actually no good, and that the KV5 is way better and it's really fun to ram tanks.

The Terribad
On onto the 3rd portion of my time at WOT.  Now I had a ramming machine.  Now I didn't need to worry about why all my shots were bouncing, I could just find the highest hill on the map, climb it, and then charge down ramming into other tanks.  The challenge was to see how many I could hit in a game.  It was around this time that all the people complaining about me in the chat started to get annoying, so I learned to simply ignore that part of the screen and go about my business.  Oddly it seemed that people would get super upset when I would continue to ram as much of the opposite team as possible rather than going into the enemy base as if winning the game mattered for anything.  For those of you wondering how low of a win rate you can get, trust me, it's VERY low.  I was "that guy" who was actively hurting his team, not helping.

The Top Tier Failure
The 4th period of my time at WOT began as my other tanks slowly moved up the tiers. I learned that if I hit enemy tanks in certain spots I could be more effective, and that there were complex shell mechanics involved.  This is where I started to wake up and actually realized that the game was more than just running around shooting at the enemy, there was strategy and teamwork, and so much more to the game. It was around this time that I joined my first clan, as it seemed it it could be fun to play with other people and learn from them.  Instead I spent most of my time solo playing, struggling to understand why some tanks seemed so horrible and other seemed pretty good.  It was around this time that I charged up to get the Tier9 IS4, playing game after game, not caring about winning or losing, just trying to get the XP & credits, to get the tank before it turned into a Tier10.  Amazingly I managed to get the IS4 and played it exactly twice as a Tier9 before it switched to a Tier10.  This was me failing my way to the top.  Now I was a badass with a Tier10.  And yes, I was one of "those" idiots that played the IS4 with the tier8 gun.

The Average Player
I then met someone who was incredibly nice, and saw me failing horribly in my Tier10 and took me under his wing, and this brought me to 5th portion of my time here.  He was no Unicum, but was a solid player, but to me with my horrible win rate, he was a genius.  But more importantly he was friendly and he told me about this thing called TS that would allow you to talk while playing.  We had a great time playing and talking with him and his friends.  This is where I started to platoon and understand gameplay, armor, angling, accuracy, etc.  All the things most players would take for granted.  The fun that the social aspect brought to the game actually made it fun again, and being able to implement what he said, and improve was really fun.

A Decent Player
Around this time I was clanless and started to be contacted by people who wanted to join their clans.  I wasn't sure why or what the point was to a clan.  After looking into it I learned about the other aspects of the game - tank companies and clan wars.  This is where it all finally clicked and I made the decision to really focus on becoming better and join a decent clan.  After many more pub battles I was able to squeak into my current clan where there were plenty of players who I could learn from.

One Day - Unicum?
And here I am today, 10,000 battles, targeting a 60% overall win rate, and working to 1800 efficiency.  I still have lots to learn, and am not kidding myself that I am a top player, but I finally feel like I am able to have control over the outcome of a battle.  I hope that I can continue to learn and improve to reach up to the higher levels of gameplay.

So, what is the point of this huge post?

To those whose game I ruined in my early carrer - I'm sorry.

To those that saved me from life as a 40% player - Thank you, you sacrificed your win rate to help a lesser player get better, and made someone eternally grateful along the way.
Deez_Nutz
the_blonde_bullet
_Endo_

To those who post instructions and videos that I have learned from - Thank you, you took the time to help others with no benefit to yourself.
9mmCapsule
CarbonWard
Garbad
Illusion
Kewei
Relics
nagatron

Thanks for reading...

Posted Image

jdtherocker #2 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 19:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Very well done and good work I'm far from green but I am getting closer and closer my biggest mistake was waiting so long to ask for help. Now I am improving but you did it early on and it helped you achieve where you are today.

Mc_Black #3 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 19:21

Sergeant

• 0 battles

View Postjdtherocker, on Jan 22 2013 - 19:18, said:

Very well done and good work I'm far from green but I am getting closer and closer my biggest mistake was waiting so long to ask for help. Now I am improving but you did it early on and it helped you achieve where you are today.

Well, I didn't even realize there was help available, someone was kind enough to offer it to me, and I already had a Tier10 at that point, so was well on in games.

viglundr #4 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 19:24

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Good post :), its great for people to see the steps one takes to improve.

Marduk10 #5 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 19:32

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've got a lot of stupid to overcome in my service record.... but OMG dude. How you are at 58% amazes me.

LESTAT_SiK #6 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 19:34

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
OMG, mah eyes is burning! I cannot believe this isn't another rage induced "piss on anyone with over a 45% wr cause it's just not POSSIBRU!!!!! Thanks to the OP for the positive post. I know there are some baddies out there I need to harass talk to now.

Mc_Black #7 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 20:08

Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostMarduk10, on Jan 22 2013 - 19:32, said:

I've got a lot of stupid to overcome in my service record.... but OMG dude. How you are at 58% amazes me.

Well I'm running at close to 70% win rate now for the past 1000 battles, so that moves you up quite quickly even with 10,000 battles.

Thanks for the positive responses.

conzilla #8 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 20:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Its like the story of my WOTs experience. I am currently in the average player stage. I have lots of sins to make up for from my early days. Great story.

Kaeldian #9 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 20:21

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
And another comes to the light of truth and is set free.  +1

Goldeneye54 #10 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 20:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
For me I kind of started out the same way.  Bought myself a Type 59 when it first came out as I was still pretty new and was driving around thinking I was unkillable.  But for me what helped the most were these forums.  While being dead and waiting for the game to end I would always come here.  The new player section and the posts there helped out a lot.  There were a lot of guides that taught me how to play the game and how to play certain tanks, how spotting mechanics and such worked.  

The biggest tip I give a lot of players now is go to that section cause there are a lot of good posters there that know what they are doing.  I've become a decent player myself, about 55% win rate and closing in on the 1800 eff.  I've joined a clan that's pretty decent, not the best in the world, but a good group of people who want to have fun.  Being able to help them is nice, platooning with people and then seeing what they do and giving them some tips is always a good feeling.  

I hate people out there who flip out or curse people out when they do something stupid when all that needs to happen is give that person some advice and then they can learn and become a better player.

jdude8 #11 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 21:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I only became a good player after I got my first tier 10 IS7.. before that yeah I think i was pretty much failing to the top..lol (Wasn't even playing with premium account as I considered this game to be F2P). Still had horrible win% in IS tank cause I never wanted to go back to cleanse that part of history but I managed at least 50% ish win rate in IS3 and IS4 (now IS8).
Next line I picked up was the german heavy line cause at that time a lot of people was arguing E75 is not really better than tier 9 IS4, in order to prove them wrong I began grinding german heavy line (Yeah I know, I was that naive). Did badly in Tiger (50%ish.. tiger at that time was truly bad with armor/module damage etc.), pretty good in tiger 2 (62% ish all solo), and then E75 (64% ish mostly solo). I was very happy that I proved my point of E75>IS4 and frequently using my stats in two tanks to argue on forum.. little did I know I can probably do equally well in my IS4 if I gave it a try...
However I think medium tanks taught me the most about this game as in heavies I generally do not fight strategically, all I do is to to get to that choke point designed for heavy and use my superior peekaboo to kill all the pubbies and win, if my team fails at the other flank then I am toasted. With medium tanks however I was truly capable of change the flow of battle more easily as I can run from one flank to the other before enemies finish cap. This promotes me to pay more attention to minimap while fighting and predict where enemies might be so I can plan ahead. Around this time I also started platooning with one other tanker who has similar experience of mine, and has been solo for like 20k battles (He still manages 53-54% at the time we met). We started platooning together quite frequently and from then on almost all of my tanks enjoy a 60% + win...

Mc_Black #12 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 21:57

Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostGoldeneye54, on Jan 22 2013 - 20:22, said:

For me I kind of started out the same way.  Bought myself a Type 59 when it first came out as I was still pretty new and was driving around thinking I was unkillable.  But for me what helped the most were these forums.  While being dead and waiting for the game to end I would always come here.  The new player section and the posts there helped out a lot.  There were a lot of guides that taught me how to play the game and how to play certain tanks, how spotting mechanics and such worked.  

The biggest tip I give a lot of players now is go to that section cause there are a lot of good posters there that know what they are doing.  I've become a decent player myself, about 55% win rate and closing in on the 1800 eff.  I've joined a clan that's pretty decent, not the best in the world, but a good group of people who want to have fun.  Being able to help them is nice, platooning with people and then seeing what they do and giving them some tips is always a good feeling.  

I hate people out there who flip out or curse people out when they do something stupid when all that needs to happen is give that person some advice and then they can learn and become a better player.

Yep, some encouragement will go much further to change the behavior of a sub-par player.

greyfox2 #13 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 22:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postconzilla, on Jan 22 2013 - 20:17, said:

Its like the story of my WOTs experience. I am currently in the average player stage. I have lots of sins to make up for from my early days. Great story.

This.  Great post, mcblackb!  I would imagine there are quite a few with a similar story.  I think after I got to tier IV, I started to realize the implications of what I was doing in the battle.  Before that it was all just luck, pretty much.  I am still climbing out of the self imposed dungeons of mediocrity - still at 52% hit ratio!  It was at 27%!!! Now I am trying not to fail upwards and am focusing on training crews and try not to leave a tank before I feel like I have figured it out.  There are I few I gave up on early that I will eventually go back to.

JDASprawler #14 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 22:19

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
That's a very nice boost from being bad to becoming great :)

I failed my first 2k-3k battles and wasted top tier tanks by pressing W and shooting on the move, then I watched some strategy videos, read the wiki, and read advice and guides on the forums, now I have improved to being average and still looking forward to tons of new lessons to learn.

Gohibniu #15 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 22:20

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am amazed that you could play more than 1 game and not know the generalities of where vital areas of tanks are ( engine, track, rear, side).  But grtz on your great gameplay, hope you are on the green side!

OrionsByte #16 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 22:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thanks for sharing - it's helpful to remember that we were all new once, and it's also helpful to remember that not everyone "gets" how much depth there is to this game when you really look at it.  A lot of people just want to drive around chasing red dots like any other first-person shooter, and even though it aggravates those of us who have ascended beyond that mentality, it is probably good to remember that they're not being stupid on purpose, they just don't know any better.   :Smile_glasses:

+1

Edited by OrionsByte, Jan 22 2013 - 22:25.

jemull #17 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 22:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Kudos to Mcblackb.  I think many of us have started off the same way.  My kids actually got me into the game.  My first premium tank was a Churchill that my wife & kids chipped in for as a Father's Day present (and to maybe help me stop cursing about having to drive around in little cardboard tanks).  Of course it was mostly my fault I was getting killed all the time.  I'm learning also...finally have a couple of tier 8s, and on occasion I get a 7-kill battle.  But I still make poor choices and suffer because of it.  I'm not in the habit of badmouthing people for their play, because I don't like it when I see others do it.  It would be nice and a much more constructive environment for players who want to do better if there wasn't so much vitriol in the battle chat window.

awookie #18 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 22:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
But remember, you pulled off the impossible.
Everyone was new once, but whats important is that you had fun and played well at the same time  :Smile_great:

Edited by awookie, Jan 22 2013 - 22:35.

BB_Alphawolf #19 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 22:35

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Congratz. It's amazing how taking some time to actually learn the game can make a player better. For the past couple weeks, I have been platooning with players that have worse stats than I. I try and help point out their mistakes to make them play better. I am not great, but I do what I can for my team. I have finally held a 60% for over a month. There are people that you can find that complement your playstyle and can bring up your win%. I will like to raise mine higher, but I'm stuck at 60% with my playstyle right now. I am too aggressive and feel as if I have to play harder to carry the team.

Illusion #20 Posted Jan 22 2013 - 22:36

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postmcblackb, on Jan 22 2013 - 19:15, said:

op post

You could quite easily reach Valhalla, I was at your stage at one point (although with a few less battles)