Garbad Park: King Tiger

REMOVE_ARTY_FROM_THE_GAME

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
161 replies to this topic

Poll: Garbad Park: King Tiger (520 members have cast votes)

Which is the best T8 heavy?

1. KT (127 votes [24.42%])

Percentage of vote: 24.42%

2. VK45 (14 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

3. IS-3 (245 votes [47.12%])

Percentage of vote: 47.12%

4. KV-4 (28 votes [5.38%])

Percentage of vote: 5.38%

5. T32 (77 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

6. Caern (13 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

7. China (16 votes [3.08%])

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

Vote Hide poll

Garbad #1 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:31

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23982 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
WG released this guide today:
http://www.youtube.c...d&v=tElET-HD0Ac

Its a useful guide, with a nice historical intro and good visual depictions of angling (although the russians must truly be obsessed with the "clinch"). I was enjoying it...right up until the moment where they said "The KT strengths are view range, aim time, and accuracy, while its armor is not so good."  Accordingly, I decided to correct WG's guide.

PROTECTION:

+ Thick frontal plate, strong frontal turret armor, nice flat surfaces suitable for angling
+ Decently strong side armor, suitable for sidescraping and arty protection
+ Good HP
- Very flammable, including from the front. Bring a fire extinguisher.
- Well known weak points, especially the lower plate

By far the greatest strength of the KT is its heavy frontal armor and turret. With proper angling, you have the best protection in tier -- particularly when peeking around corners or are able to hide your weaker lower glacis (unlike US heavies like the T29, you need not hide your strong upper plate, and can instead simply use elevation differences or small hills to cover your weak point, forcing opponents to aim at your MG port or cupola, both small targets, easy to wiggle). This is the key to the KT -- learn to angle well, and you can be extraordinarily tough to kill.

FIREPOWER:

+ Good accuracy, penetration, aim time, and alpha
+ decent view range, DPM
+ acceptable depression, accuracy on the move, etc.
- No significant flaws

The KT has fairly average firepower. Nothing particularly stands out, but it has no major flaws, either. With at least good ratings in everything, the KT can do whatever is needed -- long range sniping, hitting weak points, penning major targets, and still having the alpha/DPM to brawl and win. The tank is also surprisingly adequate stock -- the long 88/short 105 is not a major liability during your grind.

MOBILITY:

+ neutral steering, can turn in place
- poor top speed
- poor acceleration, even fully upgraded, and very sluggish stock
- moderately prone to track damage

The KT is slow, no doubt about it. But its still fast enough to peek and brawl decently, you just cannot chase targets or get to key position first. But this is ok, as those roles are better left to other tanks anyhow. Use your strong armor and firepower to do what God intended -- smash down tank alley and engage the other heavies.

GEAR/SKILLS:

WG recommends Vertical Stabilizer, Rammer, and coated optics. I say nyet. Leave the optics to the scout, and you focus on your job -- combat. Instead, run Vert, rammer, GLD. GLD will trim down your aim time to ~2.1, giving you a major advantage over IS-3 types and other opponents in a peekaboom. For a tank like the KT who spends most of its life fighting other heavies in a face up brawl, this is a key advantage.

WG recommends all kinds of worthless skills like ammo storage and firefighting. NYET COMRADES.  Instead, your skill priority should be: 1st -- 6th sense + repair skills, 2nd -- BIA, 3rd -- Gunnery skills + view range. Once again, this will maximize your aiming time and accuracy, thereby reducing your exposure to enemy fire. Skills like firefighting only reduce your fire damage, not reduce your chance of fire and are thus worthless. Instead, rely on your extinguisher and reflexes.

Also, use a fire extinguisher. YOU WILL DO THIS. NO EXCUSES!

TACTICS/ROLE:

Despite what WG says, the KT is not a base camper, a second line sniper, or a medium killer (lol?). The KT was designed for one job -- defeating other heavy tanks. This is its strength and its best use. Many tanks can defeat a Type 59, but who else can smash an IS-3 head on?  Accordingly, the KT is simple -- pick a primary attack path and fight down it, using a good blend of armor angling and precision fire to wear down your opponents. Of course, take opportunity snipes when you get them, but above all engage and destroy the hostile heavy tanks and anchor a flank with your thick armor.

Mattratt #2 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 1223 battles
Its Garbad again.

hunteralex #3 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21158 battles
  • [RA_GE] RA_GE
lol tier8 chinese tank is: China..!. lol. good one

jdude8 #4 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16179 battles
  • [CHAI] CHAI
seeing IS3 benefits HEAVILY after 8.0 armor-wise (My sad T32 can't even pen them reliably), it has to be IS3...Of course I know nothing about chinese t8 heavy so far.

hunteralex #5 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21158 battles
  • [RA_GE] RA_GE
Also, use a fire extinguisher. YOU WILL DO THIS.

plz this is the most important thing, specially if u r driving a german tank, dont replace with nothing

stumpjumper8 #6 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:38

Captain

• Players
  • 18184 battles
  • [BULLS] BULLS
I spent most of my time with the KT after sprem.  I had a lot of problem with it at first because I played it like it had armour.  When I gave up on this concept, I found better success.  When in T9/T10, armour felt like the French.  

Got rid of it once I got the E-75 recently.  Almost stock, I believe I have a survival rate of 65% on it.  E-75 armour seem to be much more effective for the tier it is in than the KT.

Kaeldian #7 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 18016 battles
I put a lot of time in a KT and did my time in an IS3.  But before I post my thoughts, for the sake of full disclosure I will reveal that the KT was pre MM fix and the IS3 was last fall.

To me, I find the KT and IS3 to be dead even overall.  Only reason my IS3 stats are "Better" is due to the fact I knew considerably more about the game when I picked up the IS3.

KT, my main issue was getting tracked and the occasional fire.  Lower Hull was usually very easy to protect, and nuetral turning was a godsend.  Turned out to be a good brawler, with it's only real peer at the time being the IS3.  IS3 fights were usually decided by range or who got the first hit in.

IS3, my main issue was the ammo rack.  Damn thing was always getting hit, even from the front.  And the reload on the BL9 is painful enough without that taking hits.  I did like how it's low profile allowed me to use small humps in the terrain as cover for a flanking manuevers.  This was something I could never do in the KT.

I voted KT in the end.  I just HATED that ammo rack vulnerability in the IS3.

Urban_Cohort #8 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:45

Major

• Players
  • 9136 battles
  • [KURO] KURO
Garbad recommending an aggressive strategy for a tank?  Let me put on my shocked face.

I voted T32 on account that 1-it's my only tier 8 heavy (aside from the T34), and 2- because I don't really respect the other t8 heavies when I'm in my T32 (well, I don't get in the way of the BL-10 nor do I get into sniping contests with the KT, but you know what I mean...).

Garbad #9 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:45

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23982 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Poststumpjumper8, on Jan 23 2013 - 17:38, said:

I spent most of my time with the KT after sprem.  I had a lot of problem with it at first because I played it like it had armour.  When I gave up on this concept, I found better success.  When in T9/T10, armour felt like the French.  

Got rid of it once I got the E-75 recently.  Almost stock, I believe I have a survival rate of 65% on it.  E-75 armour seem to be much more effective for the tier it is in than the KT.
Mathematically the KT is better armored for its tier than the E-75. I can shoot straight through the E-75's hard points with some gold rounds in t9, in t8, this is impossible.

SHISHKABOB #10 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:45

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8512 battles
I think the KT, IS-3 and T32 are all well-balanced. Except one thing...

the King Tiger is the most damn sexy tank in existence

CryoVolt #11 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:48

Major

• Players
  • 25941 battles
Wait, the KT has armor?

I hate this tank, no redeeming qualities.  Would rather have a VK45A, IS3, Lowe (yes), 50 100, T32, etc.  It might be better than a KV-4 though.

RandomDying #12 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34188 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
I'm keeping my KT forever, sold the E75 since enough though it has better armor ever since the APCR for credits, its armor just can't compete against gold spamming t10s.  The key thing about the KT is that it can fill most roles that other heavies can't. 1)Sniping as long as gun depression isn't an issue, KT is probably the best sniping heavy. 2) It can brawl in cities, relatively easy to angle/side scrap and peek-a-boo shots. 3)Not as susceptible to module damage as I've found in every other German tank I've played, though still high chance of fire/engine damage. 4)It can ram many other tanks (especially lights/mediums) to inflict and intercept them to prevent a circling death.  The only real issue I have with this tank is the "average" alpha, which should really be buffed 10-20 more average damage, its laughable that tier6s and 7s do more alpha than this tank.  With all of its viable attributes it can adapt to almost every map in the game and find a niche to fill.

Edited by RandomDying, Jan 23 2013 - 17:51.

DraconX3 #13 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:48

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6702 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY
Ah now here is something i can agree heavily with Garbad on.  Love my KT. Not selling it even when I get the E75.    Also his module use is what i do on my Lowe already. It really makes it a mean gun machine. IS3 has nothing over my guns pinpoint accuracy.

alexsyl007 #14 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:50

Major

• Players
  • 17754 battles
KT vs IS3 is a tough one to call, if the IS3 facehugs the KT, advantage IS3, if the KT misses just one shot, advantage IS3. However, if the KT hits the notorious ammo rack of the IS3 or the engine, advantage KT.

Dayus #15 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:51

Major

• Players
  • 12406 battles
I voted is3, I played both tanks at the same time non prem and the is3 was a lot more fun and clinched a lot more battles were I had to carry. That said this was pre 7.4 and both were awesome tanks in there own right.

View Postalexsyl007, on Jan 23 2013 - 17:50, said:

KT vs IS3 is a tough one to call, if the IS3 facehugs the KT, advantage IS3, if the KT misses just one shot, advantage IS3. However, if the KT hits the notorious ammo rack of the IS3 or the engine, advantage KT.
Face hugging is laughable in at is3 now, there is a large weakspot in the turret that im 95% sure the kt has the height to hit.

Edited by Dayus, Jan 23 2013 - 17:52.

Ruukil #16 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:51

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 19673 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Agreed with the garbad. KT is a monster when you actually angle the armour.

Kaeldian #17 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:52

Major

• Players
  • 18016 battles

View PostSyndicate, on Jan 23 2013 - 17:48, said:

Wait, the KT has armor?

Upper Hull and Gun mantlet are extremely tough.  Most people aim for the lower hull or the sides of the turret when engaging the KT from the front.  Lower hull is easily covered leaving a very difficult and prone to richochet shots to the sides of the turret (or a cupula shot) - and that can be made more difficult with a bit of wiggling.  KT driver worth his salt engages at medium range where all said shots are even more difficult.  This is why you see most people try to face hug them, to make said shots easier.

clownshoes2 #18 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:52

Captain

• Players
  • 14558 battles
  • [TBB] TBB
Let the Garbad ass kissing commence. Bunch of kavetching dopes.

Otto_manipulation #19 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:52

Captain

• Players
  • 26076 battles
  • [HARM] HARM
Garbad is busy at work in "the office" again today.   :Smile_veryhappy:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Garbad. View it anyway?

Nope.

Non-constructive/spam. Warning issued.
|Sadukar09|

Edited by Sadukar09, Jan 23 2013 - 17:55.

SHISHKABOB #20 Posted Jan 23 2013 - 17:54

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8512 battles

View PostRandomDying, on Jan 23 2013 - 17:48, said:

I'm keeping my KT forever, sold the E75 since enough though it has better armor ever since the APCR for credits, its armor just can't compete against gold spamming t10s.  The key thing about the KT is that it can fill most roles that other heavies can't. 1)Sniping as long as gun depression isn't an issue, KT is probably the best sniping heavy. 2) It can brawl in cities, relatively easy to angle/side scrap and peek-a-boo shots. 3)Not as susceptible to module damage as I've found in every other German tank I've played, though still high chance of fire/engine damage. 4)It can ram many other tanks (especially lights/mediums) to inflict and intercept them to prevent a circling death.  The only real issue I have with this tank is the "average" alpha, which should really be buffed 10-20 more average damage, its laughable that tier6s and 7s do more alpha than this tank.  With all of its viable attributes it can adapt to almost every map in the game and find a niche to fill.

I dunno man, I'm still bouncin stuff p good with my E-75. It's probably just the scrubs who can't aim/think gold rounds are too expensive, but hey that's WoT for ya.