110 Review -- Armor > Firepower > Mobiilty

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

ArmoredCorps #1 Posted Jan 31 2013 - 19:49

Major

• Players
  • 58953 battles
  • [REL2] REL2
Ever since I saw noobmeter's OP rating thread get deleted by the mods in GP&D, I've been a fan of mentioning it in reviews, at least to establish a baseline outside of my own perceptions, and before I get to the results, let me just say: the 110 is the best tier 8 heavy, maybe the best tier 8 period, currently.

And in my opinion, it's going to get nerfed. But, that doesn't happen before a new patch, so it's going to enjoy some fun in the sun till then.

As for the blog... http://blog.noobmeter.com/
1 (best); 110; CHINA; 3,441 battles; 56.7% average win rate; 53.7% average win rate of the owners of 110's; 1.06
So playing this tank will make you better. And to my discredit, I got on a bad streak, played drunk and quit every match on Serene Coast but 1 for the past 4 days, and this was 1-3 few no-output games, so my win rate is personally only 53. \o/ The same thing happened in my IS-2, a few 2-man platoon runs brought it skyrocketing up.

It's probably a testament to the quality of matchmaking and pub teammates that I can eek out a %53 win rate on a tank and yet boast 1099 average experience 2+ kills a game, a quick M badge, a 2700 exp game, (and I think 2 2000 exp games otherwise), 7 Steel Walls and 3 top guns, one a Radley-Walter's. 2296 dpg is... good, I think I've had better in tier 8's, and probably a reflection of my poor win & survival rate. (and decision making)

Now the meat and potatoes:

FIREPOWER:
215mm base pen, 265mm APCR, 320 alpha, .38 acc, 6rpm, .38 acc, 2.9s aim time describes a gun with characteristics between the German 105L52 & L68.

Penetration is higher than the 200mm class of 88L71, American 105 and German 105L52. It may not be a big difference, but it's enough of one the base AP shell is reliable, especially against any medium tank hull armor, and most turrets.

Forward mounted turret enables effective peeking.

The alpha is 320 but the rpm of 6 means it has a better DPM than the VK 4502 Ausf A (which is better than the 105L68-armed KT, and the 122mm BL-9 on the IS-3; the IS-3 gets a reputation for being the best T8 heavy which I've always considered inflated -- compared to just the Ausf A, it's got poorer view & radio range, aim time, accuracy, DPM, soft-stats on the gun, agility, and frontally it's weakspots are similar -- a vulnerable "landing strip" on the turret roof is a rough analogue to cupola weakspots (and became more prominently vulnerable when the model size got smaller and shorter) and hull armor which loses effectiveness in peek's and any amount of angling. (though dispersion going from the near, flatter side of the pike, to the far, steep-angled pike, tends to generate an auto-bounce, which is a situational godsend)

On-the-move & after-firing dispersion is a bit worse than the Ausf A which is to say it is good for a heavy and much better than an IS-3. (the Ausf A is king of the high-probability-of-hit, low-exposure-time peek-a-boom, due to it's quickness, turret position, accuracy and on the move characteristics)

Digression aside: the 110 boasts a gun with the same advantages the Ausf A boasts over the IS-3 -- decent hip-fire potential, reliable accuracy, lower aim time, but without the big drop off in penetration.
Firepower is overall great; 320 alpha is on the edge of "low" for a heavy tank in tier 8, but absolutely no slouch, the tank works well in peaks and the gun lets it reach out & touch.

PROTECTION:
What the 110 lacks in spaced, side armor compared to the IS-3, it more than makes up for in a 120mm-thick, severely sloped pike.
It also is ... perhaps a touch taller, but narrower; it is not a large target. (it's a heavy in the Soviet / Chinese mold; so it might have modest not-moving camo, but still none on the move or after firing, as is the norm for all heavies)

The turret -- the T10 -- is the IS-8 turret. (later rechristened the T10 in the post-Stalinist era) 201mm, tear-drop sloped. Very solid, maybe it gets penned by tier 10 med HEAT and TD guns, not much else.

This pike generates the most bounces for your tank, because it's obviously preferential to aiming at the turret and it's deceptive to think if the flatter-side of the pike is presented to you that it reduces enough normalisation; it often doesn't, and it also benefits from penetration-saving dispersion, where the enemy hits the far-side pike surface, and a guaranteed auto-bounce angle.

The lower hull, though a touch larger than an IS-3 or Ausf A's, is still small and doesn't tend to get hit. A little bit of wiggling to shift the enemies point-of-aim or slightly dipping into terrain (a very shallow depression in a hill or road surface) goes a long way to hiding this one small weak spot.

The only real weakness is the (tank's) left-side cupola, which does take a lot of aimed shots and will suffer penetrations. Still, the tank & turret traverse are right in-line with the Ausf-A & IS-3 and wiggling can again spoil the enemies better efforts enough this isn't a crippling weakness, against anything other than very potent sniper tanks who have a positional advantage on you. (namely, easy peek opportunities, and you're pinned down in the sense moving from that position will draw side/rear tank fire)

At one point around 20 games, I only survived... 7 games. 4 of those were Steel Walls. Top tiered you're an overpowered bully, able to move quickly, fire quickly and hit hard, and bounce the world. With 36 games, I have 7 steel walls. It's bouncy.

Protection is probably best-in-class, better than a T32 on account of a better hull. T32 gets the unique ability to hulldown as good as any tank in the game, but this is just about the most survivable peek tank -- and corners are more common than hills.

MOBILITY:
Finally we get to an area the 110 does not run away from the competition. With a rammer, vent & vert stab, the hp/ton works out top-module to 11.31, a very poor number on par with tanks like the VK 4502 Ausf B IIRC. This being said, the Chinese tree has high passability and soft-mobility stat ratings, cause it does not accelerate as slowly as this would indicate. (this is only 2 hp/ton better than a Super Pershing's 9.8 which it leaves in the dust)

Agility though is brisk, and the top speed limit of 40kmh allows it a measure of re-positioning ability and downhill sprinting. You can gamble and get lucky, though it's not advised.
Generally, it's mobility allows it to close with and pin TD's with nearly as much ease as an IS-3, and it accelerates and backs up in and out of peeks very quickly. (good "low gears") It can ward off circling-attacks by AMX's and other lights.
***I'll have to play a game to see the back-up speed, but IIRC, it's also 14kmh like the IS-2***

This is the 110's weakest area but that only goes to say how mobile the Ausf A & IS-3 are. This will still outperform a King Tiger, T32, & Caernarvon and keeps time just behind IS-3/Ausf A. (KV-4 is lol; AMX is different; it's no accident I don't compare normal heavies to autoloaders)

========================

As usual it seems, I have only so much patience for pub battles, a bit of bad luck and enough bad decisions to come stumbling out the games, but with gaudy damage, and kill rates.

This being said, the tank is not weak at all. It has protection better than an IS-3, (any care and attention payed whatsoever to angling, wiggling, baiting enemies into your pike at retreating angles creates reams of bounces) with a gun as usable as the German 105's. (aim time is a touch higher than those) Mobility is worse than the IS-3 but still very good for a heavy and the top speed is good.

I took one look at the stats and deemed it a worthy successor to IS-3 Champion Company battles and it performs like it. It has a little bit of everything going on, and 380M view range -- not the 400M standard in the end-tiers but far better than the 350M IS-3.

Edited by ArmouredCorps, Jan 31 2013 - 19:53.

Midnitewolf #2 Posted Jan 31 2013 - 21:52

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7172 battles
Played this a bit on test and didn't find it too different than an IS-3 really.  The lower plate one the 110 is more than a touch bigger than on the IS-3, although it does have a better pike straight on.  However, even the pike has a weakness in that it is longer meaning more surface area to hit if you managed to get a 45 degree angle on 110 (such as catching it peeking out from behind a rock or building.

Anyway, I am not claiming it is a bad tank and your right it could actually be one of the best Tier 8 heavies in the game, especially considering how good the IS-3 it mostly mimics is.  However, I am not sure it is quite as good as you say.

dahdah325 #3 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 15:35

Captain

• Players
  • 38339 battles
  • [REL-V] REL-V
Having just finished the 110 and started the 111, I pretty mush agree with everything you said. The 110 is a fun, nasty tank. The only two downfalls I found were the gun depression and ammo rack.

Limited/no gun depression is something most tank (outside the US tree) suffer from, so its no surprise the flat turret of the 110 has the same issue. You have to be careful cresting even small depressions, which can force you to expose the lower glacis way too much to take a shot. By paying more attention to maps subtleties, you can often find a slightly flatter approach to reduce the depression needed.

While I was only full-ammo-racked a couple times, the location of the rack (vulnerable to side shots just behind the front track wheel) can make for frustrating peek-a-boom in city fights. I had to learn to sidescrape as much as feasible to make best use of the good frontal armor and faster aim time. In the long run this was actually good training for me, forcing me to get rid of some sloppy habits in city fights.

ArmoredCorps #4 Posted Feb 02 2013 - 01:10

Major

• Players
  • 58953 battles
  • [REL2] REL2
The gun depression I made no note of cause the entire Chinese tree is even worse in this regard than Russians, but the gun depression is better on this than the IS-2, it seems 4 or 5*, not 3.

amaROenuZ #5 Posted Feb 03 2013 - 16:32

Major

• Players
  • 16660 battles
It's worth noting that next to the IS-3, it actually has slightly improved depresion.

morgotz #6 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 17:08

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
according to the wiki it has -6°

I totally agree with your review, but a few things I have to add:
The turret ring works as a shottrap when shells ricoshet off the UFP close to it, happened a lot
The turret cheeks can be penetrated by at least Tier 9 tanks. They are small, but its possible.
Both cupolas can be hit and damaged.
The ammorack was quite weak (but still tougher than WZ-111s)
Sidescraping is sometimes possible, too

This tank is as overperforming as the T-34-1. Played it in companies (works well) and some platoon, which dropped my dpb to 2344, yet having 79% WR. It will be nerfed ..

ComradeHX #7 Posted Feb 12 2013 - 09:51

Major

• Players
  • 13810 battles
It does not sidehug nearly as well as IS-3, as far as I can see.

It does not have IS-3's severely sloped armour + spaced armour on upper hull.  So most tanks can depress low enough to hit and pen it.

Other than that, nothing to pick on except alpha...which is not really bad considering 320 is same as Tiger II and T32(and both of those have lower dpm).

rocketbrainsurgeon #8 Posted Feb 14 2013 - 17:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26070 battles
Thanks AC for doing this.

View Postmorgotz, on Feb 10 2013 - 17:08, said:

according to the wiki it has -6°

I totally agree with your review, but a few things I have to add:
The turret ring works as a shottrap when shells ricoshet off the UFP close to it, happened a lot
The turret cheeks can be penetrated by at least Tier 9 tanks. They are small, but its possible.
Both cupolas can be hit and damaged.
The ammorack was quite weak (but still tougher than WZ-111s)
Sidescraping is sometimes possible, too

This tank is as overperforming as the T-34-1. Played it in companies (works well) and some platoon, which dropped my dpb to 2344, yet having 79% WR. It will be nerfed ..

Bolded the parts I find especially annoying, as they are usually the product of auto-aiming baddies getting lucky.  It's a pretty small gripe though, as the tank is stupidly strong frontally.  I rarely get the cupola penned; it's usually my front plate if I'm not positioned correctly.

The gun depression is quite good, especially compared to the previous tanks in the line.  The gun doesn't snap shot very well, so take your time to aim or forget about shooting.

I'll sign up to the idea that it's the strongest tier 8 in the game.

MilesCadre #9 Posted Feb 17 2013 - 15:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7984 battles
way I seen it is its a bit slower than a IS-3 but has a better armor profile (imo)

I enjoyed the 110 and the wz-111 in the test server, its gonna be a pleasurable (albeit a long) grind.

cmcgillen #10 Posted Feb 20 2013 - 22:14

Major

• Players
  • 16601 battles
Only have about 60 games under my belt in this, but, It is exceptional. Really going to enjoy this grind.

ArmoredCorps #11 Posted Feb 22 2013 - 06:14

Major

• Players
  • 58953 battles
  • [REL2] REL2
It's just so tough.
The toughness does drop precipitously against tier X guns but it's good peek characteristics and good gun keep it relevant when fodder tiered.

RRR3 #12 Posted Feb 22 2013 - 06:30

Major

• Players
  • 26410 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0
Sounds like a nice vehicle, will grind it after I get my 121 :)

CrabEatOff #13 Posted Mar 01 2013 - 17:13

Major

• Players
  • 46148 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Been trying to decide what 8 to buy/rebuy. It a lacking spot in my garage, where only the hated T34 resides.

IS-3 and T32 unlocked, but the 110 interests me. I won't play a 3.4 aim-time gun again unless it has no otm dispersion.

Interesting review, it tempts me. Can I try before I buy?

CrabEatOff #14 Posted Mar 01 2013 - 18:09

Major

• Players
  • 46148 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
AC, between this and the Caernarvon, which would you choose? I can't tell on paper which I'd like more. Both would have shit crews. Re-buying the T32 would be an third option (its just redundant with the T29, mostly)

DeadlyDays #15 Posted Mar 02 2013 - 20:36

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12871 battles
  • [D-INC] D-INC
I agree it is the best tier 8 Heavy tank in the game, and it should replace IS3's in Champion Companies when enough people get it. I would like to add to your post though that I was running a champion company and using the 110 with is3's and found consistently that I reached the front of the pack, and gained some distance on EVERY MAP. The only place where I was slower than the IS3's was going uphill, which let them catch up. But on the flat I've found it is definitely a faster tank. However, I do have off road driving finished on this tank so that might be what gave me the advantage over the IS3's.(Stabalizer, GLD, Rammer, and standard med pack, repair kit, fir extinguisher on it)

Edited by DeadlyDays, Mar 02 2013 - 20:38.

Zhao_Zilong #16 Posted Mar 03 2013 - 07:51

Captain

• Players
  • 36235 battles
  • [5TIGR] 5TIGR
Having played it now for 32 games as I type this (69% win, about 2k damage per game), I must say that the 110 is a more versatile IS3. The IS3 is still the superior close-combat fighter which I'd prefer in a city map; but the 110 is more versatile in that it's a good close-combat fighter but when it's fodder-tiered in an open map I play it as an excellent medium-range fighter too. In some cases the much higher ROF means I can put 2 shots into a slower-reloading opponent for about 600 damage when he can only give me 1 for about 400 damage.

Note: I played the 32 games with half with the 122D25T, and the other half with the 100mm.

the_moidart #17 Posted Mar 04 2013 - 21:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30486 battles
"320 alpha is on the edge of "low" for a heavy tank in tier 8"

No. Low is the horrendously miniscule 230 of the Caern. What you're instead describing is the Standard alpha for t8 heavies. Add to that being higher RoF (and thus higher DPM) then the KT and higher pen then the T32, and it sounds like a decent gun!

Leader_H #18 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 07:44

Captain

• Players
  • 22727 battles
  • [HACKD] HACKD
I love the 110 when I mount the 100mm on it, actually, the 110 itself is a good tank even when only the 122mm is mounted consider it can still make good use of the armour, which is very difficult for tanks lower than your tier to penetrate.

Since the armour bounce against same tier or higher requires luck or poor enemy aiming, the lower the ROF of your enemy, the more likely you can destroy them without being scratched. The protection is arguably the best of all tier 8 heavies except KV-4.

The mobility is high, the tank feels only slightly less mobile than an IS-3.

The stock turret is bad and I recommend free-XPing it and mount it using the +load limit equipment. The upgraded turret is very difficult to penetrate, it also gives you more view range and ROF.

The 100mm gun is very comfortable to use despite a 2.9 aim time.

Anubyte07 #19 Posted Mar 19 2013 - 20:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11502 battles
I had problems with my 110. The damn frontal armor was too inconsistent. One match it would bounce everything and the next round it would bounce NOTHING! I also made the mistake of upgrading to the 100mm sigh.... I then got fed up one night while drunk and rage sold it..... I'll buy it back eventually I guess.

couchman #20 Posted Mar 20 2013 - 20:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 17088 battles
Yep I'm a big fan of my new favourite Tier 8. Ammo rack is really the only problem with it. Had mine taken out with shots to the front and that's a problem.

Spoiler                     

Edited by couchman, Mar 20 2013 - 20:14.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users