The Churchill Line

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Nithydux #1 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 12:39

Major

• Players
  • 9670 battles
So recently I came to the conclusion that I wanted to try more British tanks, and since I'm already a Heavy tank player I figured, why not Churchill?

I liked the Idea of a support tank that could lead if nessiscary, and had good DPM. But the thing is I have little to no experience with British tanks, and I haven't even started the line twoards the Churchill I.

So what I'm looking for is tips on the tanks that are part of the line, at least to tier 7. As well as some grinding tips in general.

I'd definately appriceiate a list of Strengths and Weaknesses.

Ganegrei #2 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 12:50

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 2653 battles
Churchill 1 has great DPM, goodish armor on the front, but is very slow.

Churchill VII has the same DPM as the 1, seemingly great front armor (Which will not stand up to the 122 and long 88/90 guns it faces), and is even sloooooower.

Black Prince has great DPM, more reliable armor, and is less slow.

Keep in mind that the Churchill VII is on the top 5 worst tanks in WoT list.

If you can swing it, save a bunch of free xp for getting past the Churchill VII.

KillerAyvaz #3 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 13:06

Captain

• Players
  • 14825 battles
Well I hate the Churchill VII, when I play my churchill III, I literally can't penetrate it from the front, no matter where I shoot it seems. That and the m6 are the two tanks that I feel helpless in a 1vs1 against in my LL churchill. Maybe if I load prem ammo, but I almost never use those in pubs.

Churchill VII is a bully of lower tiers.

Edit: to OP, while the British line looks largely uninteresting, considering that its tier 10 heavy will become a tier 10 td( ala the American T30), I am pretty sure you will end up with the TD and the replacement heavy. Which means two tier 10s for the price of one(price here being credit cost and time spent)...which is a substantial return on investment.

Edited by KillerAyvaz, Feb 01 2013 - 13:10.

Ganegrei #4 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 13:20

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 2653 battles

View PostKillerAyvaz, on Feb 01 2013 - 13:06, said:

Edit: to OP, while the British line looks largely uninteresting, considering that its tier 10 heavy will become a tier 10 td( ala the American T30), I am pretty sure you will end up with the TD and the replacement heavy. Which means two tier 10s for the price of one(price here being credit cost and time spent)...which is a substantial return on investment.

Incorrect.  The tier 10 TD will look somewhat like the current tier 10 HT, but is completely different.  There will not be any moving of tanks.  They are however, thinking of replacing the tier 10 heavy with a different tank.  But you will not get anything for free by unlocking the tier 10 heavy.  It is not going to be a T30 situation.

Edited by Ganegrei, Feb 01 2013 - 13:34.

Ganegrei #5 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 13:33

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 2653 battles
double post....

Edited by Ganegrei, Feb 01 2013 - 13:33.

LordTidus15 #6 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 13:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 2224 battles
Go Valentine line. Matilda is terrible.

yarl5000 #7 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 14:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6338 battles
  • [VPG-S] VPG-S
Going to warn you, get the top gun on the Churchill 1 as fast as possible, before that the guns are fine but can't hold up against some tanks at the same tier.

Also with the Churchill 1 expect to get tracked, a lot, aka you ain't going anywhere fast in it.

Reiuji #8 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 14:14

Major

• Players
  • 25951 battles

View PostLordTidus15, on Feb 01 2013 - 13:58, said:

I'd go with the Valentine line grind just because you get to unlock all the guns for the Churchill leading to the Vickers HV on it than the Matilda which will leave you with the 2pdr on Tier V when you get the Churchill I.

It has to be said that the Matilda in itself is a good tank, if you're intending to grind up it's not a good line to first go through though.

~EDIT

Oh and another thing, the guns on the Valentine is also used on the Crusader/Cromwell.

Edited by Reiuji, Feb 01 2013 - 14:15.

ArmorStorm #9 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 14:30

Major

• Players
  • 25002 battles
  • [SF-V] SF-V

Matilda ROCKS! It can pen anything it meets.

agamemnon75 #10 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 14:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 7801 battles
  • [TKJK] TKJK
I found the Valentine much easier to work with than the Matilda.  That and the Valentine gets your more modules unlocked for the Churchill.  Working with the Churchill 1.  It is not stellar, but you can get by with it.  It has a good rate of fire and makes enough credits that you can afford to pack some premium rounds "just in case" and still turn a profit.

Okinoshima #11 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 15:03

Captain

• Players
  • 16878 battles

View PostArmorStorm, on Feb 01 2013 - 14:30, said:

Matilda ROCKS! It can pen anything it meets.

I have to agree, I have only a handful of games in my Matilda and I already have two Lehvaslaiho and an Oskin Medal in my Matilda. The armour makes it nearly impenetrable for many tier 4 tanks and it holds its own fantastically against tier 5 and 6 tanks. No alpha for sure but it's top gun has unbelievable aim and rof but the real place it shines is its penetration. 121 Penetration on a tier 4 tank is crazy awesome. If you're used to slow tanks then the Matilda is incredibly fun to play.

SoliDeoGloria #12 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 15:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15069 battles
  • [ST0DA] ST0DA

Then you weren't playing it right. I have a steel wall and 2 Top Guns in mine and I played only around 25-40 battles in it.

Valan #13 Posted Feb 01 2013 - 15:22

Captain

• Players
  • 23058 battles

View PostNithydux, on Feb 01 2013 - 12:39, said:

So recently I came to the conclusion that I wanted to try more British tanks, and since I'm already a Heavy tank player I figured, why not Churchill?

I liked the Idea of a support tank that could lead if nessiscary, and had good DPM. But the thing is I have little to no experience with British tanks, and I haven't even started the line twoards the Churchill I.

So what I'm looking for is tips on the tanks that are part of the line, at least to tier 7. As well as some grinding tips in general.

I'd definately appriceiate a list of Strengths and Weaknesses.

In terms of strengths, the British Churchill I does have a stronger turret than the Soviet premium's Churchill 3. It's slightly less likely to become ammo racked than the Soviet Churchill 3 is by a single shot of tier four artillery fire. If you've played the British tier 4 Matilda with the Spalling Liner module equipped, the Churchill I has similar turret strength without a Spalling Liner module equipped versus HE ammunition.

The British Churchill's can take more punishment and survive, than a Soviet Churchill can. In playing against each of the three Churchill's versions, the two British versions are tougher to destroy in one-shot using a standard HE shell when playing a French tier 4 105 LeFH artillery.  Whereas the Soviet tier 5 premium Churchill 3 version is an artillery players dream to find on the team's enemy: relatively slow in moving forward & in pivoting its tracks; long in length; ammo rack weakness.

Now is a British Churchill I strong point?

6 pdr Gun Mk. V (L/50) is a high R.o.F gun with good penetration, that allows a Gunner to maximize the effects of a 'Deadeye' crew skill.

Suggestions:

When playing a Churchill I and facing Derp'ing opponents like the M4 (105 mm SPH M4 L/23), Pz4 (10,5 cm KwK 42 L/28), KV-2 (152 mm M-10), KV-1 (122 mm U-11) try to avoid getting to close in distance. Face-hugging them is a dangerous option, unless someone else is distracting them first! Preferably put something between your Churchill I and the Derp'ers: distance, large rocks, permanent buildings, a slope et al.  Secondly, a Churchill I can use a "Hammer & Anvil" tactic to extremely good effect against enemy Derp'ers. Try to tag team with a fellow heavies or mediums when employing this Hammer & Anvil tactic.  Additionally if you or a friend is a Premium Account holder, a Churchill I can work very well together in these platoon combinations:
  • Churchill I, Ram 2 (or other tier 5 medium), plus tier 3 or 4 artillery
  • Churchill I, KV-1 (or other tier 5 heavy), plus tier 3 or 4 artillery

Either of these 3 person platoons types can employ a 'Hammer & Anvil' tactic consistently in the majority of games the matchmaker creates. A Churchill I can be the Anvil and the Hammer can be your fellow tier 5 medium or heavy.  So why platoon with a tier 4 artillery, what it's role?
  • To knock out the enemy's artillery, or to force it to move. Thus, limiting damage to yourself.
  • To weaken, force to move, and to knockout enemy's who are threatening your platoon's and team's positions.
  • To detrack enemy tanks, so you have an easier time to accurately hit them or to allow you to move to a better position.

Better the enemies' heavies and mediums are forced to move into your gun's viewfinder than the other way around.  If and when your 'Hammer & Anvil' becomes penned down against more numerous opponents, your artillery teammate can relatively safely force the enemy to stop permanently or alter its actions.  Meanwhile your most likely getting spotting XP and saving your own hitpoints being taken by the enemy in the process.  A Churchill I can take a beating and live to tell about it. (Your tracks can soak up a lot of damage. Just keep moving your turret's flat front around, to avoid it from being easily hit.) However, an artillery teammate allows your platoon more freedom of action, than it would have in a purely medium or heavy three person tank platoon.

Like yourself, I've just begun to go up the British tree's line of heavies. Currently at the Matilda, then on to the Churchill I. And for critics, yes I have experienced the advantages of platooning with a Churchill 3 and Churchill I previously. A Ram 2 with Binoculars and a Churchill I is another excellent 2 person platoon combination, I can attest to.

Edited by Valan, Feb 01 2013 - 15:35.