To Die or not to Die

Doing what you feel is right

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

kenrwood #1 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:37

Private

• Players
  • 11943 battles
How do I put this, Let me ask the "better Players" , I will use Mountain Pass as an example. several times in a pub match I find everyone will push one way. ex) ice Road.  If i see no one going around the mountain, and I know without someone there we are going to fail guaranteed, I head that way if for nothing else at least to try and slow down any advance through that area. What do you do? sacrifice yourself when you know 90% that you are going to die . or do you follow everyone else just to make sure you have a chance at survival? I am really getting tired of going that way, dying after taking out as many as I can, only for the team to fail anyway..I guess what I am asking is a "win rate" more important than the "Tank Rating" , I know in many cases if I go a way with at least some support, I would survive much more than I do. but MANY MANY times I go in alone just so that we might have a chance with most to the entire team pushing on the other side..

just a thought is all..I would be interested in seeing what others would do..

Kankou #2 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:44

Major

• Players
  • 3418 battles
Assuming everyone went ice road, I would be at the junction leading to base to at least be a stop gap. You will be amazed at how one tank can intimidate an entire enemy column.

Lert #3 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:48

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 36893 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
If you're afraid of 'dying' in a videogame, maybe you shouldn't play videogames. Atleast not ones where people are issued a virtual gun and the objective is to shoot the other player.

Godzillan #4 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 5041 battles
  • [TCH] TCH
I usually go the other way, it's either I die and we lose, or I die and we lose faster. Plus if the enemy team is bad, it could be I don't die and we win, though that's unlikely. (or die and we win, that's a possibility)

BattlecryGWJ #5 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:51

Major

• Players
  • 25928 battles
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD
You'll get arguments over me being a good player or not but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway.

Anytime I see a lane/flank isn't covered I always move to cover it.  It's what the team needs even though others don't realize it or simply aren't doing anything about it.  Covering a flank solo isn't guaranteed death as I've seen 5 tanks hide from a single AFK tank for an entire match.  Beyond that, its an opportunity to rack up some good experience since you've got a lot of potential damage to cause if you can drive your tank well enough (comparatively) to stay alive and defend the flank even if outnumbered.

pyantoryng #6 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:52

Major

• Players
  • 14590 battles
Better to delay them than letting them pass unopposed.

That's what I think.

Heed_McKraken #7 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:53

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am not a "better player", but I choose to try and stall the alternate route/flank.  I also often try and rally some folks to join me in chat.  In the event that my undermanned flank is overrun I then throw out a post-mortem "XYZ flank is overrun, so you guys better get to the cap" in team chat.  I have mixed results, but I think trying to hold off superior numbers is forcing me to be a better player.

kenrwood #8 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:03

Private

• Players
  • 11943 battles
Yeah, Everything you all said is pretty much what I have been doing, as you said, sometimes it actually does work out and I can either stall long enough or rare times taken 2-4 tanks out (usually bad tactics on their part attacking me one at a time) , As for Lert's Comment,  I know it is a video game, Look at my win rate, I am sure not afraid of dying (just dont like to die needlessly, especially in a pub much. I have seen in some pub matches that this is going to happen and I will sent out a message and explain this flank needs to be covered, and have actually had people say, I am not goin gthat way to just die..well as others have said in here, I cant just leave a flank wide open to be over run. even if the possible odds are stacked. Just wanting to get a feel for what others have done or would do in these situations..

Edited by kenrwood, Feb 04 2013 - 19:04.

Kuya_Moko #9 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:07

Major

• Players
  • 9892 battles
Depends on your tank and enemy arty situation

IF you have a bullshit invulnerable hull down tank with good dpm and a lack of arty, you can destroy that wing of tanks yourself.
If you have a large gun with slow reload time.. Well, you can wave it around and make the enemies piss themselves in fear for as long as you can while hugging rocks hoping for dear life that you don't get splashed to death.

If you're a lower tier tank with a babby ass gun then you should just abandon hope for that flank and help push the other one. You might win the race. If it's close and it looks like its close, you might sit around near your own cap in some good cover and attempt to reset capture points once they get rolling.

Garbad #10 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:08

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24244 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
As a "better player" you need to worry less about your stats and more about winning.

_ErwinRommel__ #11 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:12

Major

• Players
  • 4218 battles
if your good enough you can not be seen if there are alot hit every tank not just one that can convince them thers alot more than just you there

D_X_T #12 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19071 battles
  • [-H_R-] -H_R-
Go other way to hold enemies and to atleast buy your team some more time to do a push!

BIGC1 #13 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 9057 battles
U r not the only one thats been there, and I agree with u, well said.

Rewdalf #14 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6309 battles
Depends on my mood.
I'm usually always the 1% that goes down the uncovered flank.
Sometimes it goes well.
Sometimes it doesn't.

Other times, I get sick of it and blatantly state that I am not going to cover the empty flank for a team who's destined to lose.
A bit stubborn, yes, but when you're in a bad mood, why die for a team you don't respect?

portplug #15 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13823 battles
Good post OP.  Liked the answers, except Lert's bs reply.

Lionheart1917 #16 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 21:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 3257 battles

View Postportplug, on Feb 04 2013 - 19:24, said:

Good post OP.  Liked the answers, except Lert's bs reply.

How is it bs? It makes sense. This game is about shooting other players. No, you shouldn't TRY to die, and in fact should try to stay alive, but you should not be afraid of dying in a video game, especially when that "death" serves a purpose.

Urban_Cohort #17 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 22:07

Major

• Players
  • 9266 battles
  • [KURO] KURO
If you cant bring yourself to follow the lemming train (lord knows I can't), then it's time for some geometric warfare.

When you're alone on a flank, track all the paths the enemy can take, then set up in the best position possible to watch where they all intersec (this might be on your cap, so...just beware).  You will need to drop back at some point.  You might even have to let them into the cap area.  That's fine - your priorities should be staying alive and not letting the enemy team pull the rug out from under your team.

It's not a situation where you're in control, but one where you need to rely on your team being competent - or at least bet on the other team falling apart before yours does.  Which is probably why MOST, not all, unicums would recommend going with the lemming train - but this is sort of a judgement call on whether you think you can expedite the rush or if you can delay the enemy team more ably.

dhisatake #18 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 22:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12546 battles

View Postkenrwood, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:37, said:

How do I put this, Let me ask the "better Players" , I will use Mountain Pass as an example. several times in a pub match I find everyone will push one way. ex) ice Road.  If i see no one going around the mountain, and I know without someone there we are going to fail guaranteed, I head that way if for nothing else at least to try and slow down any advance through that area. What do you do? sacrifice yourself when you know 90% that you are going to die . or do you follow everyone else just to make sure you have a chance at survival? I am really getting tired of going that way, dying after taking out as many as I can, only for the team to fail anyway..I guess what I am asking is a "win rate" more important than the "Tank Rating" , I know in many cases if I go a way with at least some support, I would survive much more than I do. but MANY MANY times I go in alone just so that we might have a chance with most to the entire team pushing on the other side..

just a thought is all..I would be interested in seeing what others would do..

It depends.. if the group of people doing the heavy push looks competent then I will go the opposite way and do a very conservative defense.  Meaning I will only fire and expose myself to a minimal amount of fire. Usually that means pushing up as far as I can and then firing and retreating just to make the enemy horde think about it.  Hopefully that gives the crew enough time to overwhelm the opposing side and either cap or backdoor.

If they look completely incompetent I will either join or look for some high risk high reward option.

RobertK #19 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 22:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39541 battles
  • [REL_2] REL_2
"He is here."

"Obi-wan Kenrwood? Are you sure? If you're right, he must not be allowed to escape."

"Escape is not his plan. I must deal with him. Alone."

Sometimes, young padawan, your choices will not allow you to both win and survive. Perhaps your death can spur your weaker teammates to great deeds. Or serve as a lesson on "what not to do". :)

Bob