Jump to content


Show the information which tiers a tank will face in-game

Herp derp accessibility stop_hiding_important_info on_the_wiki

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

_Goliard #1 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:39

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 23278 battles
  • 2,901
  • Member since:
    08-12-2010
tl;dr add MM tier spread info to the game

A question I get rather often from people I play with who are new to the game, is why they suddenly start seeing tier 8 in a tier 4 tank when that didn't happen before.

Well, you probably guessed it, they stumbled into something like the A-20, Panzer38NA, perhaps they started platooning their Panzer III with a buddy's T-50, VK1602 Leopard, or any arty of the same tier.

I usually direct them to this page on the wiki.

But seriously Wargaming, is it that hard to display this information in the game?
I doub it.

Therefore, I would like to ask you to add something like this to the UI:

Spoiler                     

P.S.
It would be really great, if you could add an idicator to the platoon chat that shows what the platoon will face, depending on the tanks chosen by the players. I think most mis-matched platoons aren't borne of malignity, but rather of ignorance.

Edited by _Goliard, Feb 04 2013 - 18:41.


Whee #2 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 21669 battles
  • 14,612
  • [ELUDE] ELUDE
  • Member since:
    03-22-2011
Good idea. Why not.

But the bottom line is that WG needs to implement a tutorial... badly.

Lert #3 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:45

    Major

  • Community Contributor
  • 37760 battles
  • 24,737
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010
Too many exceptions, too many tanks with special MM. People would keep going "Hey, this thing saw <X> in a match but it isn't supposed to!"

_Knobby #4 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:46

    Captain

  • Players
  • 10107 battles
  • 1,314
  • [LIMBO] LIMBO
  • Member since:
    07-28-2011
Is it really that hard to just remember?  It should be pretty easy to tell that you'll get unfavorable MM if you're a T1 platooned with a SU-8

BattlecryGWJ #5 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:47

    Major

  • Players
  • 26773 battles
  • 5,271
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD
  • Member since:
    12-20-2011
Agreed, I've thought that the game client needs to be much more transparent about match-ups since I first hit tier 3.  The current match making isn't a problem (at least as far as the tier matches go), but "hiding" the match-ups is rather inexcusable.

SULOMON #6 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:49

    Major

  • Players
  • 6240 battles
  • 11,046
  • Member since:
    09-25-2011
It would be helpful but people should just take a minute to look at the wiki.

_Goliard #7 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:53

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 23278 battles
  • 2,901
  • Member since:
    08-12-2010

View PostWhee, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:45, said:

But the bottom line is that WG needs to implement a tutorial... badly.

Yep, they really need to do that. It would cut down the idiocy by at least, say, 20%.

View PostLert, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:45, said:

Too many exceptions, too many tanks with special MM. People would keep going "Hey, this thing saw <X> in a match but it isn't supposed to!"

There are pretty much 3 kinds of special MM at this time.

Slightly up-tiered:
Bison
T2 Light tank
T-50
VK1602 Leopard

MM acts like it's another type tank (in these cases, medium tank MM instead of light tank MM):
Crusader
Covenanter
Valentine

Limited:
Pretty much everything else with special MM.

I don't see a problem with including these. I even included tier two arty for the T1 HT because it can see the Bison. I doubt anybody is going to complain because they never see the other tier 2 arties in their T1.

Edited by _Goliard, Feb 04 2013 - 18:55.


_Goliard #8 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 18:56

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 23278 battles
  • 2,901
  • Member since:
    08-12-2010

View PostKnobbyHobbGoblin, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:46, said:

Is it really that hard to just remember?  It should be pretty easy to tell that you'll get unfavorable MM if you're a T1 platooned with a SU-8

View PostSULOMON, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:49, said:

It would be helpful but people should just take a minute to look at the wiki.

Every bit of easily available information will make the gaming experience more pleasant. Yes, they can easily visit the wiki and most people who are semi-serious about this game will end up reading it eventually. I would just prefer it wouldn't take a hundred or thousand games for them to do so, as it seems to be the case.

View PostBattlecryGWJ, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:47, said:

Agreed, I've thought that the game client needs to be much more transparent about match-ups since I first hit tier 3.  The current match making isn't a problem (at least as far as the tier matches go), but "hiding" the match-ups is rather inexcusable.

Exactly.

Edited by _Goliard, Feb 04 2013 - 18:59.


BattlecryGWJ #9 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:06

    Major

  • Players
  • 26773 battles
  • 5,271
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD
  • Member since:
    12-20-2011

View PostLert, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:45, said:

Too many exceptions, too many tanks with special MM. People would keep going "Hey, this thing saw <X> in a match but it isn't supposed to!"

I'm not sure that exceptions would be that much of a problem, though you'd definitely have to implement the system in such a way that it could be understood that it was an exception.

View Post_Goliard, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:56, said:

Every bit of easily available information will make the gaming experience more pleasant. Yes, they can easily visit the wiki and most people who are semi-serious about this game will end up reading it eventually. I would just prefer it wouldn't take a hundred or thousand games for them to do so, as it seems to be the case.

Not sure how many battles it took me to get past the "ooh, tanks! bang! bang!" phase of play, but it was definitely more than it should have.  Most games I don't really get into participating in the "community" behind it or spend time getting better that goes beyond playing the game more and simply getting more practice.  It wasn't until I finally started diving into the forums and wiki that I understood that the game actually has a lot of nuance that goes well beyond anything that the game client even hints at.

portplug #10 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 19:26

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 14449 battles
  • 661
  • Member since:
    06-17-2012
I like your idea.

Errants #11 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 20:21

    Captain

  • Players
  • 24121 battles
  • 1,347
  • [FOXEY] FOXEY
  • Member since:
    08-29-2011

View Post_Goliard, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:39, said:

tl;dr add MM tier spread info to the game

A question I get rather often from people I play with who are new to the game, is why they suddenly start seeing tier 8 in a tier 4 tank when that didn't happen before.

Well, you probably guessed it, they stumbled into something like the A-20, Panzer38NA, perhaps they started platooning their Panzer III with a buddy's T-50, VK1602 Leopard, or any arty of the same tier.

I usually direct them to this page on the wiki.

But seriously Wargaming, is it that hard to display this information in the game?
I doub it.

Therefore, I would like to ask you to add something like this to the UI:

Spoiler                     

P.S.
It would be really great, if you could add an idicator to the platoon chat that shows what the platoon will face, depending on the tanks chosen by the players. I think most mis-matched platoons aren't borne of malignity, but rather of ignorance.

Don't have the individual classes tiers, just say what general tiers it'd face. e.g. T-50 - Tiers IV-IX, Marder II - Tiers II-V, T26E4 - Tiers VIII-IX, PzIII - Tiers II-IV, M4 - Tiers III-VII, et alia.

Mancu #12 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 20:31

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17749 battles
  • 1,980
  • [NUGGS] NUGGS
  • Member since:
    06-11-2011
I like the idea of showing how MM will treat the tank in it's garage stats. Hopefully it would fix some of the messed up platoons you see out there.

_Goliard #13 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 21:00

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 23278 battles
  • 2,901
  • Member since:
    08-12-2010

View PostIs_Errant, on Feb 04 2013 - 20:21, said:

Don't have the individual classes tiers, just say what general tiers it'd face. e.g. T-50 - Tiers IV-IX, Marder II - Tiers II-V, T26E4 - Tiers VIII-IX, PzIII - Tiers II-IV, M4 - Tiers III-VII, et alia.

That's exactly what I thought about at first, but it would be practically useless for any tank over tier 7, because all of them can see tier 5 scouts. E.g. Tiger 2 - Tiers V-X, E-75 - Tiers V-X, E-100 - Tiers V-X. It would give people the wronge idea about what tanks they'll face, in my opinion.

I also considered listing mediums, heavies, and TDs as one category - but tier 4 heavies prevent that from working.

Errants #14 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 21:12

    Captain

  • Players
  • 24121 battles
  • 1,347
  • [FOXEY] FOXEY
  • Member since:
    08-29-2011
Ignore wonky matchmaking of scouts. Simple.

Everyone else who plays them does... (since a good chunk of time when I get into a high tier match and see a Tier IV scout, they usually whine about uselessness)

_Goliard #15 Posted Feb 04 2013 - 21:21

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 23278 battles
  • 2,901
  • Member since:
    08-12-2010

View PostIs_Errant, on Feb 04 2013 - 21:12, said:

Ignore wonky matchmaking of scouts. Simple.

Everyone else who plays them does... (since a good chunk of time when I get into a high tier match and see a Tier IV scout, they usually whine about uselessness)

While I think "quite good enough" information is better than none, I'd rather have 3 more lines displayed than that.

ratstahmandita #16 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 10:16

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 8058 battles
  • 372
  • Member since:
    04-15-2012
It would be nice so you can check if your tank is considered a "scout" and subjected to high tier games. The most useful aspect would be checking MM on premiums though. You can figure it out after you've purchased them, the Church III never faces a t7 where as su-122-44 seems to face higher tiers than my t29.

Celebrim #17 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 14398 battles
  • 2,426
  • Member since:
    10-04-2012
In general, the biggest failure of WoT is a failure of transparency.  All the information you need to actually play this game seems to come from third parties, with WG taking very little responcibility in the game interface for explaining anything to you.

And yet they expect this to become a console game (something that could not have been more clear from the start).

ratstahmandita #18 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 17:23

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 8058 battles
  • 372
  • Member since:
    04-15-2012

View PostCelebrim, on Feb 13 2013 - 15:14, said:

In general, the biggest failure of WoT is a failure of transparency.  All the information you need to actually play this game seems to come from third parties, with WG taking very little responcibility in the game interface for explaining anything to you.

And yet they expect this to become a console game (something that could not have been more clear from the start).
Is this confirmed by WG? Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while, can you link to the article?

ratstahmandita #19 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 18:10

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 8058 battles
  • 372
  • Member since:
    04-15-2012
Looking at the wiki page, I noticed: "The Comet is weighed like a heavy tank". Easily the worst t7 med, is this a mistake? I could understand if it got a 200 pen gun or something but that seems kind of ridiculous as tanks like the panther and t20 outclass it in almost every way imaginable.

xxtaylorxx #20 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 18:28

    Captain

  • Players
  • 2300 battles
  • 1,390
  • [GUNDP] GUNDP
  • Member since:
    06-15-2011

View PostWhee, on Feb 04 2013 - 18:45, said:

Good idea. Why not.

But the bottom line is that WG needs to implement a tutorial... badly.
Who needs a tutorial? just buy a tier 8 premium tank and click battle! there's your tutorial! no one will care that you're in T8 with 5 games to your name!!





Also tagged with Herp, derp, accessibility, stop_hiding_important_info, on_the_wiki

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users