Jump to content


Enhanced Torsion Bars?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

Rommel_41 #1 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:07

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 8161 battles
  • 170
  • [RTR] RTR
  • Member since:
    05-12-2011
I'm driving my ELC and find speed to be my best asset. As such I find myself taking rather hard landings sometimes, causing track breakage. So my queston is; "Will adding torsion bars improve track durability on falls and landing?"

Or should I just add the laying device?

Thanks

dsnoman #2 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:09

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 14485 battles
  • 543
  • Member since:
    02-22-2012
I use it on my scouts. I believe it enhances durability to the tracks in general.

Sn0vvman #3 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:12

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19157 battles
  • 901
  • Member since:
    04-08-2011
yes it does it says so in the description.......increase durability by 10%

Rommel_41 #4 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:15

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 8161 battles
  • 170
  • [RTR] RTR
  • Member since:
    05-12-2011
I know it says "increased durability", just wasn't sure how the durability applied to the tracks. Thanks.

DeathMutant #5 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:19

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 24815 battles
  • 881
  • Member since:
    09-15-2010
In RPG terms: Every module has "hit points."  When these hit points are depleted the module is "destroyed." The repair skill "heals" the module to a limited degree so it can be used again but at a reduced effectiveness. I believe the repair kit is a "complete heal."

ps. Those "0 damage penetrations" are what happens you hit a destroyed module. The module has no hit points left so the round goes through it and, possibly, out the other side of the target tank inflicting no additional damage.

iomegaman #6 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:23

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 14135 battles
  • 817
  • Member since:
    03-25-2012
I have torsion bars on my scouts.  Although I have no documented proof, I have noticed since installing them that the tank is tracked less by hits and from bounces.

tvanderhart #7 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 2985 battles
  • 4,114
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    12-04-2011
Don't take bad jumps, and you don't have to worry.

ledhed14 #8 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 11958 battles
  • 4,802
  • [ZBUN] ZBUN
  • Member since:
    07-30-2011
I use the equipment that says it adds durability to tracks on EVERY tank that needs to not get its tracks shot once to kill it.
Wonderful things and they work well.

ohiocat110 #9 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:26

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 8238 battles
  • 699
  • Member since:
    04-22-2011
I'd use them. Getting tracked in an ELC is instant death. The load limit is increased by 10%, but track hit points are increased 30%.

The Gun Laying Drive is a mixed blessing. It takes time off aiming...but encourages you to shoot more. It's not a sniper tank, and spending even the reduced time lining up a shot can get you killed. Firing from an unseen position is better, and that extra .3 seconds won't matter as much then. It works best blowing holes in the sides or rear of tanks from close up, then scattering to cover.

I run mine with vents, optics, and an open slot for binocs or camo net. The torsion bars wouldn't be a bad addition though. I might try that.

MilesCadre #10 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:35

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 7972 battles
  • 576
  • [RNSTR] RNSTR
  • Member since:
    02-10-2011
Enhanced Suspension indeed increases durability by 30%. IT also may give you a little more capacity, which in turn makes your suspension work a little better in game (last time I checked on the test server, enhanced suspension equipment on a fully upgraded vk 2801 accelerated about 0.2 seconds faster on medium terrain vs no enhanced suspension. It also seemed ot run a bit faster over soft soil too, but I am not too sure.

Its a good upgrade for light tanks, and fast tanks. I'd definitely throw it on my ELC with a Rammer and Vent.

Edited by MilesCadre, Feb 07 2013 - 19:48.


echomg #11 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:37

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6643 battles
  • 196
  • [PNTR] PNTR
  • Member since:
    03-07-2012
Torsion bars works great on my elc because when I would drive I would always damage my tracks plus Torsion bars don't add weight and that mean more speed.

Qumefox #12 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 14226 battles
  • 5,201
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    09-06-2011

View PostMilesCadre, on Feb 07 2013 - 19:35, said:

Enhanced Suspension indeed increases durability by 10%. IT also gives you a little more capacity, which in turn makes your suspension work a little better in game (last time I checked on the test server, enhanced suspension equipment on a fully upgraded vk 2801 accelerated about 0.2 seconds faster on medium terrain vs no enhanced suspension. It also seemed ot run a bit faster over soft soil too, but I am not too sure.

Its a good upgrade for light tanks, and fast tanks. I'd definitely throw it on my ELC with a Rammer and Vent.

No.. enhanced suspension only does two things. it increases LOAD LIMIT (max weight your tank can carry) by 10%, and it increases suspension DURABILITY (I.E.. track hit points) by 30%.. It CHANGES NO OTHER PERFORMANCE ASPECTS OF THE TANK..

If you want increased performance on soft/medium soil, you want 'additional grousers'  NOT 'enhanced springs/torsion bars/etc'

TalonV #13 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:42

    Major

  • Players
  • 27315 battles
  • 21,931
  • [BURDY] BURDY
  • Member since:
    10-21-2011
plus they are useful if your tracks cost more xp than other things. example turret has less xp cost than tracks.  Toss on the torsion bar, increases load capacity as well.

done it a few times when i had a gun from a previous tank, but the tank would wrigh too much.  and yes helps with tracking.

MilesCadre #14 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:45

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 7972 battles
  • 576
  • [RNSTR] RNSTR
  • Member since:
    02-10-2011

View PostQumefox, on Feb 07 2013 - 19:40, said:

No.. enhanced suspension only does two things. it increases LOAD LIMIT (max weight your tank can carry) by 10%, and it increases suspension DURABILITY (I.E.. track hit points) by 30%.. It CHANGES NO OTHER PERFORMANCE ASPECTS OF THE TANK..

If you want increased performance on soft/medium soil, you want 'additional grousers'  NOT 'enhanced springs/torsion bars/etc'
Then why, under the exact same conditions mind you, did my vk 2801 accelerate faster and maintain a higher speed with enhanced suspension?

The suspension effects more than just capacity and traverses. Grousers are more effective, but enhanced suspension does assist. ITs just not worth dunking 200K and wasting a slot for 0.2 seconds faster acceleration.

CryoVolt #15 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 25782 battles
  • 2,363
  • [IOC_5] IOC_5
  • Member since:
    04-29-2011
It is possible there is a hidden effect of load limit versus actual load.  Many tanks in the game have load limits that are tons higher than any conceivable amount of equipment could use.  This could be the devs using some formula in the game that gives some hidden soft stat a boost.  We don't have full access to the code, so anything is possible.

Qumefox #16 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:52

    Major

  • Players
  • 14226 battles
  • 5,201
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    09-06-2011

View PostMilesCadre, on Feb 07 2013 - 19:45, said:

Then why, under the exact same conditions mind you, did my vk 2801 accelerate faster and maintain a higher speed with enhanced suspension?

The suspension effects more than just capacity and traverses. Grousers are more effective, but enhanced suspension does assist. ITs just not worth dunking 200K and wasting a slot for 0.2 seconds faster acceleration.

According to the documentation, it's not supposed to change any performance aspects of the tank other than max weight limit and track durability..  though .2 seconds is pretty miniscule, and if you only tested once, could likely be attributed to lag or human error.

MilesCadre #17 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 19:55

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 7972 battles
  • 576
  • [RNSTR] RNSTR
  • Member since:
    02-10-2011

View PostQumefox, on Feb 07 2013 - 19:52, said:

According to the documentation, it's not supposed to change any performance aspects of the tank other than max weight limit and track durability..  though .2 seconds is pretty miniscule, and if you only tested once, could likely be attributed to lag or human error.
It was a mean average of 5 games without enhanced and 5 games with enahcned. I was trying it on the test server to see if it helped anything other than capacity since it was widely regarded as a useless module. The test was on the map Abbey, and was done in a private room to guarantee consistancy.

but as Syndicate said, theres a hidden modifyer for Limit vs load. Also, think about it. If your suspension's coils are constantly compressed because youre running their limits, wouldnt they perform poorer on rough terrain and cause the tank to accelerate slower?

Edited by MilesCadre, Feb 07 2013 - 19:56.


Qumefox #18 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 20:05

    Major

  • Players
  • 14226 battles
  • 5,201
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    09-06-2011

View PostMilesCadre, on Feb 07 2013 - 19:55, said:

It was a mean average of 5 games without enhanced and 5 games with enahcned. I was trying it on the test server to see if it helped anything other than capacity since it was widely regarded as a useless module. The test was on the map Abbey, and was done in a private room to guarantee consistancy.

but as Syndicate said, theres a hidden modifyer for Limit vs load. Also, think about it. If your suspension's coils are constantly compressed because youre running their limits, wouldnt they perform poorer on rough terrain and cause the tank to accelerate slower?

Shouldn't. All it would cause in the real world is a rougher ride as the suspension bottomed out.  Power and weight(or rather, mass. Weight is just a function of mass+gravity) are going to be the main things that affect acceleration regardless of whether it's a family sedan, tank, train, or fighter jet.

Now how the devs have coded it is another story.. But I find little reason for them to have made the maximum capacity of a tank have any bearing on performance though.. That mechanic is pretty much only there to slow advancement. (not letting you put gear on until you've ground the tracks, etc) to try and get you to spend real money freexping past it, etc..  Also, the tanks that have the greatest max weight overhead, have in pretty much all cases, been some of the slowest tanks in the game.

ApathyCurve #19 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 20:35

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 11471 battles
  • 794
  • [MG] MG
  • Member since:
    03-13-2011

View PostQumefox, on Feb 07 2013 - 20:05, said:

That mechanic is pretty much only there to slow advancement. (not letting you put gear on until you've ground the tracks, etc) to try and get you to spend real money freexping past it, etc.

You were doing good until you donned the tinfoil hat.

MilesCadre #20 Posted Feb 07 2013 - 20:46

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 7972 battles
  • 576
  • [RNSTR] RNSTR
  • Member since:
    02-10-2011

View PostQumefox, on Feb 07 2013 - 20:05, said:

Shouldn't. All it would cause in the real world is a rougher ride as the suspension bottomed out.  Power and weight(or rather, mass. Weight is just a function of mass+gravity) are going to be the main things that affect acceleration regardless of whether it's a family sedan, tank, train, or fighter jet.

Now how the devs have coded it is another story.. But I find little reason for them to have made the maximum capacity of a tank have any bearing on performance though.. That mechanic is pretty much only there to slow advancement. (not letting you put gear on until you've ground the tracks, etc) to try and get you to spend real money freexping past it, etc..  Also, the tanks that have the greatest max weight overhead, have in pretty much all cases, been some of the slowest tanks in the game.
idk about you, but my car seems toget better efficiency and more speed and acceleration with a lighter load. Not like I havent been working on cars for the last 4 years.

I still feel theres a hidden correlation to performance vs load to limit ratio.

VK 2801 hasa  overhead of around 3 tonnes with the heaviest equipment added and it fully upgraded. So why does a light tank in WoT have a 3 tonne overhead, especialyl considering how Shells dont add tonnage?