Jump to content


Panther - M10


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

apollokenney #1 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 01:38

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,786
  • Member since:
    02-19-2011
Hello gents, after 40 battles in the M10 i am writing a review/guide for it. Lets start with the pros/cons.
Posted Image


PROS
+ Front armor is good enough to bounce some shots
+ Very thick mantlet can bounce tier IX guns
+ Fast reload ( With 100% crew, vents, rammer it reloads in 3.73 secs.)
+ Good gun ( 135 dmg and 150 pen)
+ Huge HP pool for its tier (1300 HP)


CONS
- Weak top armor ( tier 5 arty will take ~600 HP per hit)
- Pen may not be enough for some tanks (EG: KV4 )



Here is a demonstration of the shell absorbing capabilities. All the shells were shot from an M26 Pershing. None of the shells that hit the mantlet penetrated. I got hit by arty early in the game for ~500 DMG
Posted Image

HOW TO PLAY:
     The key to this tank is not to be afraid to take a risk. Keep an eye on your minimap for points to smash through and flank. The gun is accurate enough to hit most shots at 450 M. If you think you can hit the shot take it. Angle your armor always, and wiggle your hull when you can. You can brawl, but it is a much better 2nd line sniper. Stay back and help the heavies or help out the spot on the map with less of a tank concentration.The best way to maximize damage done is the following: Arty > Light > Medium > Tank Destroyer > Heavy. You get 82 shells so don't be afraid to take some pot shots.  

My ammo load-out.
Posted Image


Good luck, see you on the battlefield :Smile_honoring:

Edited by apollokenney, Feb 13 2013 - 06:51.


Victorinox3 #2 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 01:41

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,578
  • Member since:
    10-31-2011
Lights kill mediums?

Upggrade #3 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 01:47

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,634
  • Member since:
    05-28-2012
40 is not enough to be writing a guide.

toasterovn #4 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 01:53

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 19
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostUpggrade, on Feb 10 2013 - 01:47, said:

40 is not enough to be writing a guide.

Yeah try again after at least 150

Code4 #5 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 02:03

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 592
  • Member since:
    04-04-2012
Good on you for putting that together. It provides a good intro and base line should you be able to constructively add to your impressions at a later date.

Cheers.

Edited by Code4, Feb 10 2013 - 02:03.


Fondles #6 Posted Feb 11 2013 - 17:54

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 599
  • Member since:
    04-16-2011
I'm not sure why you'd say the gun is good.  That's the major drawback of the tank.  Front armor is okay, mobility is good and the gun sucks.  It's workable, sure, but you bounce non-premium rounds with some regularity from even tier 6 mediums, not to mention heavies at tier 6-8.

apollokenney #7 Posted Feb 12 2013 - 03:21

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,786
  • Member since:
    02-19-2011

View PostFondles, on Feb 11 2013 - 17:54, said:

I'm not sure why you'd say the gun is good.  That's the major drawback of the tank.  Front armor is okay, mobility is good and the gun sucks.  It's workable, sure, but you bounce non-premium rounds with some regularity from even tier 6 mediums, not to mention heavies at tier 6-8.
IMO the gun is good enough for me. Haven't bounced many shots at all except on heavily armored tier 8s.

Upthewazooo #8 Posted Feb 12 2013 - 13:27

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 17
  • Member since:
    07-01-2011
I have over 1K battles with (M) Badge (54% WR) as a straight pubber  in my Panther and I think you need to play a few more games as well. What do you thnk of the paper towel ammo rack?, the accuracy of the L100 and its ability to pen side and rear armour decently but will struggle with frontal?. wonder why it has a lot of HP?  How does it compare as a SNIPER to getting raped in the streets in a brawl? get where I am coming from...? Very rarely am I at the top of the tier list in a battle, you get caught by a 59 or another strong med and you are dead as you sacrificed pen and dmg for accuracy and range with the L100, the reload time will not save you, especially when you have been ammo racked for the second time and no repair kit left.......... You need to play this tank smart and excells when you get the right maps and locations and you can rely on the amazing accuracy but it is very unforgiving and risk taking will get you into trouble fast. Play a few more games I am interested what you think as well and if it differs once you get to 150 as some others have mentioned.

Regards,

Edit

read this thread.......sums it up very well

http://forum.worldof...is-the-panther/

Edited by Upthewazooo, Feb 12 2013 - 13:37.


apollokenney #9 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 03:20

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,786
  • Member since:
    02-19-2011

View PostUpthewazooo, on Feb 12 2013 - 13:27, said:

I have over 1K battles with (M) Badge (54% WR) as a straight pubber  in my Panther and I think you need to play a few more games as well. What do you thnk of the paper towel ammo rack?, the accuracy of the L100 and its ability to pen side and rear armour decently but will struggle with frontal?. wonder why it has a lot of HP?  How does it compare as a SNIPER to getting raped in the streets in a brawl? get where I am coming from...? Very rarely am I at the top of the tier list in a battle, you get caught by a 59 or another strong med and you are dead as you sacrificed pen and dmg for accuracy and range with the L100, the reload time will not save you, especially when you have been ammo racked for the second time and no repair kit left.......... You need to play this tank smart and excells when you get the right maps and locations and you can rely on the amazing accuracy but it is very unforgiving and risk taking will get you into trouble fast. Play a few more games I am interested what you think as well and if it differs once you get to 150 as some others have mentioned.

Regards,

Edit

read this thread.......sums it up very well

http://forum.worldof...is-the-panther/
Haven't been ammo-racked once. Don't recall ever being ammo-racked in the panther out of the ordinary. Keep in mind this was when it was tier 8, so things may have changed. Gun is good enough for the fights it gets in, as it has a preferred matchmaker, seeing tier 7 [80%] of the time and tier 8 [20%] of the time. 59s are the real only problem for me. I just track em and run lol. I generally avoid brawling, because it has middle of the road DPM. It is an okay brawler, but it is a much better 2nd line sniper. Stay back and help the heavies or help out the spot on the map with less of a tank concentration.

edit: Oh after the E50 patch, panther stats got renamed Panther II stats. Thats why i only have 50 battles in the panther.

Edited by apollokenney, Feb 13 2013 - 03:24.


Upthewazooo #10 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 04:58

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 17
  • Member since:
    07-01-2011

  • Quote

    but it is a much better 2nd line sniper. Stay back and help the heavies or help out the spot on the map with less of a tank concentration.
yup thats how I do it and many others...and prob should have been included in your initial review? It doesnt take long as with any tank for the limitations and advantages to make them selfs apparent, people will adjust in different ways, I love the Panther line and kept them all the way up to my E-50M and still play them regularly. There have been prob 20 reviews written about every tank from tier 5 up and everyone of them is going to be a little different but the foundation always seems to be the same, I just chimed in as its one one of my favorite tanks, I appreciate the reply wish I had your ammo rack luck..happy hunting

apollokenney #11 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 06:49

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,786
  • Member since:
    02-19-2011

View PostUpthewazooo, on Feb 13 2013 - 04:58, said:

yup thats how I do it and many others...and prob should have been included in your initial review? It doesnt take long as with any tank for the limitations and advantages to make them selfs apparent, people will adjust in different ways, I love the Panther line and kept them all the way up to my E-50M and still play them regularly. There have been prob 20 reviews written about every tank from tier 5 up and everyone of them is going to be a little different but the foundation always seems to be the same, I just chimed in as its one one of my favorite tanks, I appreciate the reply wish I had your ammo rack luck..happy hunting
Wrote my original review 1/2 asleep. If people have any experience in german mediums, this will be natural, as it is required to stay alive.. Good luck to you too.

dustygator #12 Posted Feb 18 2013 - 06:12

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 46
  • Member since:
    09-15-2010
It's a Tier 7 tank with the same gun as the T5 Stug. Compare that to say the Su-122-44 which gets a T8 gun.

Firemoth #13 Posted Feb 18 2013 - 06:17

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 2,027
  • Member since:
    05-21-2011
i did not realise that the stock panther was such a fun tank to play that people are willing to pay gold to enjoy it

InDogeWeTrust #14 Posted Feb 22 2013 - 03:55

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 325
  • Member since:
    02-08-2013

View PostFiremoth, on Feb 18 2013 - 06:17, said:

i did not realise that the stock panther was such a fun tank to play that people are willing to pay gold to enjoy it

The Panther M10 is not even close to being an equivalent to a stock Panther. It's quite a bit better. I'd argue that other than the gun, this is an all-around better tank than even a fully-upgraded Panther.

The P/M10's traverse is 10 degrees greater than the top track on the regular Panther. Its "felt" agility is closer to the Panther II's than the Panther's in my opinion.

The P/M10's turret lacks the commander's copula which reduces a vulnerability at close range.

The P/M10's engine has 90 more HP than the stock Panther's engine. And since the Panther's top turret weighs 2 tons more than the P/M10's, a fully kit'ed out Panther and a P/M10 have virtually the same power to weight ratio.

The P/M10's radio is the same as the top radio on the Panther.

The view range and rate of fire are so close as to be indistinguishable.

What I paid for (and I suspect others did as well) is the "cool" factor of driving a special edition of one of the most famous tanks in history. I hated my Panther even when fully upgraded (especially since I ground from a completely stock Panther before they buffed the 75/70's pen). This tank feels far more agile and far more fun to play than that tank ever did although I do miss the accuracy of the 75/100.

Edited by shaaman34, Feb 22 2013 - 04:00.


kaiserstole20 #15 Posted Feb 23 2013 - 18:36

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 413
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View Postshaaman34, on Feb 22 2013 - 03:55, said:

The Panther M10 is not even close to being an equivalent to a stock Panther. It's quite a bit better. I'd argue that other than the gun, this is an all-around better tank than even a fully-upgraded Panther.

The P/M10's traverse is 10 degrees greater than the top track on the regular Panther. Its "felt" agility is closer to the Panther II's than the Panther's in my opinion.

The P/M10's turret lacks the commander's copula which reduces a vulnerability at close range.

The P/M10's engine has 90 more HP than the stock Panther's engine. And since the Panther's top turret weighs 2 tons more than the P/M10's, a fully kit'ed out Panther and a P/M10 have virtually the same power to weight ratio.

The P/M10's radio is the same as the top radio on the Panther.

The view range and rate of fire are so close as to be indistinguishable.

What I paid for (and I suspect others did as well) is the "cool" factor of driving a special edition of one of the most famous tanks in history. I hated my Panther even when fully upgraded (especially since I ground from a completely stock Panther before they buffed the 75/70's pen). This tank feels far more agile and far more fun to play than that tank ever did although I do miss the accuracy of the 75/100.

The pzv/m10 also has much better gun elevation/depression.

InDogeWeTrust #16 Posted Feb 23 2013 - 23:21

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 325
  • Member since:
    02-08-2013

View Postkaiserstole20, on Feb 23 2013 - 18:36, said:

The pzv/m10 also has much better gun elevation/depression.

Very true and quite important; don't know how I missed that.

Kind of off topic:

I have both the Panther/M10 and the Super Pershing. I've noticed that although the P/M10's average earnings are quite a bit smaller on average than the SP's, I get far less variation between games than on the SP. Mainly because I find myself having to shoot gold quite often on my SP whereas I almost never shoot gold on my P/M10.

The SP is so immobile that I find it difficult to create my own opportunities to shoot at enemy flanks. This leaves me trailing behind the heavies shooting at frontal armor I cannot penetrate without gold or simply trying to keep them tracked which usually means I don't do much damage.

apollokenney #17 Posted Feb 24 2013 - 04:54

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,786
  • Member since:
    02-19-2011

View Postdustygator, on Feb 18 2013 - 06:12, said:

It's a Tier 7 tank with the same gun as the T5 Stug. Compare that to say the Su-122-44 which gets a T8 gun.
The panther is a semi-sniper. The SU-44 is a close range brawler. Panther can bounce a few shots, SU-44 cant bounce a tier 6 gun. Different tanks, different nations, different talents.