Tank Guide/Review: AT-15A

WoTGuru

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

C_Menz #1 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 20:55

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Recently posted a tank guide and review for the tier 7 premium tank destroyer AT-15A on WoT Guru.  The guides breaks down and weighs the positives/negatives of the AT-15A in regards to armor, firepower, mobility, and other misc stats.  Also included are general game play tips and tactics to use while driving one. Enjoy!

http://wotguru.com/tank-guide-at-15a/

50LBHEAD1 #2 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 20:59

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thanks, been waiting for one of these!

A_Defenseless_Kitten #3 Posted Feb 10 2013 - 21:16

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I mid range sniper I think the Armour is not really useful, had a Jackson kill me because each of his shoots did damage to the front like it was nothing

had a derp m4 pen my front on his first shot a second shot would of killed me

I can't rarely make a good profit because I cant deal enough damage through sniping

most games I'm in are tier 9s as well

Edited by A_Defenseless_Kitten, Feb 10 2013 - 21:21.

CommissarKharkov #4 Posted Feb 16 2013 - 08:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thanks for posting the guide.

Here's my 2 cents on this tank:

I just got this a few days ago.  So far it's not working that well.  Overall, I've been very dissapointed with it.

Some issues:

1.  The front armor is listed as being great, but rarely seems to help.  It seems like it should be like an E2, where you have a "stonewall" of armor to use as you advance.  However, it doesn't seem to stop shots like an E2, T150, or KV-3 does.  It's not like people are bouncing shots off the front of your tank while you pepper them with shots - which is what it seems like this tank should be able to do.

Instead, even Tier 5 players are able to punch through the gun slit weak spot.  Then there's the Tier 8 & 9 tanks that don't even have aim well to one or two-shot you.  BOOM!  Game Over.  And most games are Tier 8 - many more than the Tier 7's.  The Tier 9 games are even worse.

So basically the major strength of this tank destroyer - the theoretically very strong front amor - is worthless most of the time.

2.  Arty creams you once spotted.  Since this is a slow and unmanueverable tank, you have to hide alot.  While this reality (arty) is not unique to this tank, it's hard to get any meaningful shooting in when you get spotted so easily and have to hunker down all the time.  This tank has a very poor natural camo ability and gets spotted very easily.  People see it coming a mile away.

3.  People outflank this tank easily.  Once that happens it is game over unless your teammates bail you out.  Unfortunately, in pubs teammates rarely respond when you call for help.  I've had solo Cromwells, Type 59's, and T-50-2's beat the snot out of this tank while I could do nothing but keep turning and hope they screwed up so I could line up the gun and get a shot in.  Even with a Driver with Clutch Braking skill this tank is slow to turn compared to most.

4.  Even if someone is silly enough to park directly in your line of fire and let you pepper them, they can still usually win out as their armor is proof against many of the AT-15A's shots.  Plus, they can track the AT-15A easily and then run away.  Plus most Tier 9's and many Tier 8's are immune to even Gold rounds from this tank.

5.  This tank costs almost as much as a Super Pershing in gold, but does not make anywhere as close as the credits a Super Pershing does.

Summary:

I have yet to find any major redeeming values to this tank.  I've only found 2 good things about it, both minor:

1.  Even when you lose bad, you don't lose credits with it.  I got one-shotted in a Tier 9 game before I even got a shot off and still came out 4k ahead.

2.  It may have some use as a TD trainer once the Brits get TD's in 8.4 (though it seems to not generate much xp, so that may be negated).

I'll keep plugging away at it in hopes it gets better, but so far this tank is very unimpressive.  If I hadn't of paid gold for it, I would sell it to open up a garage space for something more useful and fun.

Edited by CommissarKharkov, Feb 16 2013 - 08:38.

jo2000 #5 Posted Feb 17 2013 - 05:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
A tank with 228mm of armor has the same hp of a jagdpanther?! I think not! This needs to change. (The At-15A needs at least 900hp in my opinion)

There is an obvious frontal weak-spot on the upper mantle of this tank that allows other tanks to pen as if it were a buttery 100mm of armor-this also needs to change-c'mon! Angling won't even deter simple ap rounds that manage to hit this spot, originally I figured the viewports and vertical gun mantle were more than enough for frontal weak-spots on a td that relies on front armor.

Slakrrrrrr #6 Posted Feb 17 2013 - 22:03

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
PRAISE THE BABY TORTOISE!!! (AT-15A and AT-15)

Edited by Slakrrrrrr, Feb 17 2013 - 22:04.

Sierra1968 #7 Posted Feb 18 2013 - 01:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Well, another big problem this tank suffers from is, now that you can buy gold shells for credits, is that people are spamming gold rounds in pub matches.  They see you in an AT-15A, and they start hitting you with gold ammo, which typically doesn't need to be aimed nearly as well.  My personal feelings are that the devs should remove gold rounds all together, but that is for another discussion.  I've had tier 6 and 7 TD's pen me from clear across the valley on El Halluf.  Most of those guns can't aim for a weak spot and hit it at 400M (not even the German ones), and I was getting penned on the first hit.

Jesse_the_Scout #8 Posted Feb 18 2013 - 02:47

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Trying it on the test server, bleh. This thing has "potentially loads o' fun" written all over it, but it's out of its league. Its credit and XP gains are pretty awful too, I did 1900 damage in a 7-9 tier game and still got 12k in credit profit with no gold fired. I get more profit out of tier 5 premiums easy.

Power? Average at best. If you exploit its strengths and learn it I think it'd be solid, but it suffers from gold ammo vulnerability. All else being equal a player in a more versatile tank will roll you over.

Credit gain? Very poor for a premium.

Uniqueness? You can get this tank in tier 8 through the Brit tech tree with stats that look more balanced for its tier overall. Notably, the tier 8 has a much higher HP pool for its tier, which seems much more in line with this TD's concept of "damage sponge". This version is going for a concept yet missing a major component of that concept to make it work.

It would need a sheltered MM, a fat HP buff, or at least a serious increase in credit gain before I'd consider getting one.

EDIT: Wow, looking at what the Brits already have in the same tier... yeesh. The AT isn't completely inferior, but the other has a way better gun, about 50% more HPs, and is fairly similar otherwise. Unless there's some serious "soft" stat difference...

Edited by Jesse_the_Scout, Feb 18 2013 - 03:24.

Nixeldon #9 Posted Feb 19 2013 - 13:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I bought this tank for crew training/credit earning in preparation for the upcoming British TD release.  In my opinion, it was a waste of money.

Not only are the weak-spots easy to exploit, the majority of players I face any more are using premium rounds which negates any potential armor bonus. So far, I have been in as many tier 8/9 matches as tier 7.  In tier 9 matches, this TD is little more than an annoyance, occupying the slot of another tank that could actually contribute.  I am guessing that using premium rounds would all but eliminate any credit profit due to the low gun damage and minimal penetration gain.

This isn't a rant, but a buyer beware.  Just to reiterate what previous posters have mentioned, this isn't one of the easier tanks with which to earn credits or experience.

CommissarKharkov #10 Posted Feb 20 2013 - 05:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
More data / A new low achieved!

- I just had a Tier 8 game with it where I was one-shotted by an ISU-152 before I was able to do anything at all.  I was holding down a flank, with a few allies in front of me.  No enemies spotted by me, no shots taken, nothing.  Never even saw the enemy at all.  Also, our team lost.

Want to make a guess how many credits I made?

-303 credits (i.e. a credit loss).

And the XP awarded?

Wow.  What a wonderful Premium tank this is!  It's great to play a slow moving pile of XP for other players.  I'm glad I paid $30 in gold for that privilege [Sarcasm Intended]

Edited by CommissarKharkov, Feb 20 2013 - 05:53.

CommissarKharkov #11 Posted Feb 20 2013 - 05:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
One related note - I did try the AT-15 on the Test Server.  It looks exactly like the AT-15A, but it packs a decent gun.  It's not as bad, but still seems to suffer from the weak armor, low manueverability, and slow speed.

Jesse_the_Scout #12 Posted Feb 20 2013 - 07:06

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
I tried shooting gold for a tier 9 battle on the test server. -54k loss. Its gold ammo cost to damage ratio is abysmal. On stat sites its net credits are way lower than other tier 7 premiums.

I wouldn't be surprised if WG didn't buff it, it's mostly average-low on performance stats, but nothing abysmal. Surely they'll increase its credit generation though. I know I ain't buying it without a buff though, I hate tanks that just get negated by one guy willing to spend credits to KO it.

CommissarKharkov #13 Posted Feb 20 2013 - 08:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I just tried shooting a load of 30 Gold rounds/the rest all AP.  I figured what the hell, I'll just go nuts one game with credit-bought Gold rounds and see if that improves things.

Got 57 hits in a Tier 8 game.  We lost.  I survived somehow with 2% hit points left (but no Steel Wall or other awards at all - not even Sniper!)

Net result 62,000 credit loss (i.e. the Gold ammo restocking cost minus the meagre income).

XP from this:  340.  That's it.

Pathetic.

I just can't express how underwhelming this tank is.

And not only is it bad in combat, but it doesn't make much in terms of credits.  Even when I totally refrain from using Gold rounds, it makes only a few credits.  It seems like games with the AT-15A average a gain of 4-5K a game (non-Premium).

My Tier 5 Premium tanks make many more credits than this does.  Hell, my tier 3 Pak40 TD and T-15 Scout tank make more credits than the AT-15A does.

CommissarKharkov #14 Posted Feb 21 2013 - 01:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Here's a stats dump.  Small sample set, but something to chew on.  Just played the AT-15A for 20 games in a row.

Equipment:  Vents/Rammer/Optics
Crew is a mix of 3 100% with 60% skills and 3 at 80 (training them up for future TD use).

20 pub games  (3 Tier 9, 11 Tier 8, 6 Tier 7)
I'm a slightly above average WoT player (51% overall win rate in 19k games)
No Gold Round use - unloaded it all.  Instead have 75% AP, 25% HE rounds.

Results:
12 wins / 8 losses
Average net income per game (after resupply of ammo, repairs):  12.6k (not Premium Account)

Overall results after 79 total games:
56% win rate
Av XP:  374 per game
10 Sniper
1 Steel Wall
1 Cool Headed
2 Spartan

Findings/Advice:
  • Tier 9 games are a waste of time.  Can't hurt much and tend to get one or two-shotted.  Minimal opportunity for XP or credits in these games.  Not much opportunity to contribute to your team, other than to provide a momentary distraction to the enemy.
  • Angling the AT-15A hard, to the point where the gun is just barely able to line up on the target, really helps increase survivabilty.  Shots from your target will sometimes bounce off the front armor if you do this.  If you do end up owning this tank, use this angling technique.
  • Gold Rounds are not worth it for this tank.  They are not cost effective given the 2800 credit cost for a round that doesn't do much damage.  Since I offloaded all the Gold rounds, I am now averaging a profit.  Before, when I carried and used 3-5 Gold rounds a game, I barely averaged any credits.
  • Another part of the key to making credits with this tank is staying alive, even if you lose.  Repairs from being destroyed run from 6-9K.  In many tanks it is worth it to keep going when heavily damaged and try to get one more shot in.  Not this one if you are interested in credits - the loss cost is much higher than any earnings from getting another hit.
  • The HE rounds have surprised me and actually done some damage.  Against Tier 9 tanks (and Tier 8 Heavies) I switch to HE and they actually averaged 14 points of damage per hit.  Sure, that's not much, but it is better than the zero for AP rounds.  Plus, HE on many other tanks (outside DERP guns) seems only to do 1 or 2 points per hit, so I was surprised to see damage at all.
  • Despite claims that have been made that the AT-15A can earn tons of Steel Wall awards, I only have one in the 79 games I have played.  In that game several noobs who had no clue stopping right in front of the tank and kept shooting away at it with no idea of the weakspots.  I think I could of gotten a Steel Wall in a paper bag against that bunch.
  • This tank is not recommended for solo-style playing.  While with many other tanks you can "go it alone" and wander across the map solo, in this one you get trashed pretty bad doing that.  You have to have allies around to help you out or you get outflanked quickly and dead.  Part of the reason that there were 12 wins out of 20 is that I chose to stay near allies and was equally lucky that allies came to my call when I got outflanked and swarmed.
  • Mastery 1 was earned with but 945 XP.  That gives you an idea of how low the XP earnings are for this tank.  Compared to other Tier 7 tanks, the XP earnings are very low.  This has ramnifications on training - i.e. it takes quite a while to train up crew.
Disclaimer - others experiences may vary.  I'm sure somewhere someone has an incredible love affair with this tank, having gotten a zillion Top Guns and Steel Walls, and makes zillions of credits each game. The above represents just what I have seen.

Edited by CommissarKharkov, Feb 21 2013 - 01:18.

CommissarKharkov #15 Posted Feb 21 2013 - 06:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Another data dump.  21 more games in since last post.
7 Tier 7, 9 Tier 8, 5 Tier 9.

10 wins/11 losses

Average net credits for these 21 games:  9.2k/game (not a Premium Account)
Note that the income dropped compared to the earlier 20 games.  Part of this is two of the Tier 9 games, where I lost 500 credits in each instead of making some profit (couldn't damage anything I hit and was quickly one-shotted).

Picked up a few more Sniper awards, but nothing else.  No Steel Walls.  Did provide some opponents with Steel Walls, however, for which they thanked me.

----------------------

Overall:  100 games now completed in the AT-15A
54% win ratio
56 kills
Max Kills in a Game:  4
Mastery Class 1 (945 xp)
Average XP:  391

-----------------------

Opinion after 100 games:

Liking this tank better than when I first bought it, but it is still pretty marginal overall.  If this was available for credits, I  now might consider keeping it for a while.  However, it is a Premium tank, and unfortunately a very lame Premium tank.

Definitely not worth the gold compared to the other tanks one could buy.  For example, my Churchill makes more credits (and XP) but costs less than 25% the gold this thing does.

If anyone is considering buying one, I'd advise them to get on the Test Server and run it several games first.

Also, be aware most of your games will far and away be Tier 8.  Unfortunately, most tanks in Tier 8 are relatively immune to the AT-15a's gun and at the same time can easily blow through the front armor without trying too hard.  And don't even get me started about the Tier 9 games......

And don't believe what the Wiki says about it - most of the info posted there about its subjective abilities is flat out wrong.  For example, this thing will NOT shrug off shells like a mini-T95.  Also, unlike the T95, arty will readily go through the armor (I have yet to see an arty shell bounce off this thing, I've had lots of mine bounce off T95's).  In the AT-15A I have been one-shotted by Tier 5 and above arty several times now.

EDIT:  Just updated the AT-15A entry on the Wiki to reduce the subjective "wishful thinking" content, like the statement it gets Steel Walls left and right.

Edited by CommissarKharkov, Feb 21 2013 - 21:54.

Jesse_the_Scout #16 Posted Feb 21 2013 - 23:46

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Looking at the new Brit TD lines, it seems obvious they intended them all to be damage sponges... but this one got left in the dust. The theme seems to be HPs in line with a medium of the same tier instead of typically lower TD HPs. They need to buff this thing's HPs to 1100 territory like a tier 7 medium for it to keep up with the design concept. As it stands, a giant, slow, damage sponge with no HPs is just an arty snack. More HPs might help its awful credit earnings too.

sharlin648 #17 Posted Feb 22 2013 - 14:01

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Its XP needs to be beefed up as does its credits and perhaps a tweak to the MM to not let it see teir 9 matches but otherwise its an alright machine, not the best but not the worst either.  I enjoy driving it over anything Churchill shaped (apart from the Soviet Mark III, that thing rocks)

Edited by sharlin648, Feb 22 2013 - 14:01.

CommissarKharkov #18 Posted Feb 22 2013 - 21:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postsharlin648, on Feb 22 2013 - 14:01, said:

Its XP needs to be beefed up as does its credits and perhaps a tweak to the MM to not let it see teir 9 matches but otherwise its an alright machine, not the best but not the worst either.  I enjoy driving it over anything Churchill shaped (apart from the Soviet Mark III, that thing rocks)

Agreed.  Now that I have it dialed in with 166 games (I decided to go all out and try to make this thing work since I paid gold for it), it would be workable if the Developers both:
  • Beefed up the credits and XP to match Tier 7 Premium tank earnings.
  • Kept it out of TIer 9 battles.
However, haven't seen any sign at all that this is even being considered by WG and have no idea if they will ever address it.  Until then, this tank is unfortunately a poor choice compared to the value gained by most Premium tanks.

sharlin648 #19 Posted Feb 23 2013 - 11:40

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Totally agree with the MM and credit comment, but I still enjoy the machine, angle it properly and you can bounce to your hearts content.  And as for WG changing it, they seem very reluctant to touch british tanks with a nerf bat or buffstick (considering that ATM most need the latter as I found the british tank trees to be a miserable grind but thats just me.) and I doubt they will do anything to correct the minor failings in the AT-15a's money and match making departments.

Edited by sharlin648, Feb 23 2013 - 11:43.

CommissarKharkov #20 Posted Feb 23 2013 - 20:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Angling is the key for this tank.  Once you see a target, angle the tank so the gun is hard over to the side and can just barely line up on the target.  That seems to be the optimum angle to generate bounces from your opponent.  If you need to advance towards an adversary, drive sideways towards them with the same angle instead of straight at them.

And even if a target is not visible, set the tank up so it is already angled towards where they are most likely to appear.

I even find myself driving sideways now in my regular tanks before I remember that I'm not in the AT-15A.   :Smile_teethhappy:

One other suggestion for WG on the Tier 9 issue.  If the AT-15A remains in Tier 9 games, give the AT-15A income for tracking opponents.  I suggest this as that is the only thing this tank can do against Tier 9 tanks.  While this may potentially help the team win, it currently doesn't return any income to the AT-15A owner for their efforts (other than being on the winning side).  Since making the tracking shots usually quickly results in a wrecked tank and major repair bill, having XP and credits for tracking vehicles would provide an incentive to try it instead of the major credit setback from attempting it.

Edited by CommissarKharkov, Feb 23 2013 - 20:13.